UGC NET 2020 Exam Pattern, Marking Scheme, Syllabus and Books
UGC NET is a national level exam conducted by NTA on behalf of University Grants Commission to certify the eligibility of candidates for the post of ‘Assistant Professor’ or ‘Junior Research Fellowship’. NTA will conduct UGC NET 2020 from June 15 – 20, 2020 in online mode.
- UGC NET comprises two papers – Paper 1 and Paper 2 which will be held consecutively without any break.
- The total duration of the exam is 3 hours. Candidates are free to devote any amount of time to any paper.
- Paper 1 and Paper 2 will have 50 and 100 multiple choice questions respectively.
- Each correct answer will award you 2 marks. There will be no negative marking in the exam.
- Syllabus for Paper 1 and all 81 NET subjects of Paper 2 have been revised. Download Updated Syllabus PDFs
UGC NET 2020 Exam Pattern Details
Since June 2018, UGC NET has been conducted by National Testing Agency in the following pattern:
UGC NET: Mode of Exam
- UGC NET will be conducted in Online mode.
- Each candidate will be allocated a desktop with a pre-installed software especially created for the examination.
- Make sure to check that the system and the mouse is working properly before the exam commences.
Nature of Questions in UGC NET Exam
- The questions in both the papers will be objective in nature.
- This means, all the questions in UGC NET June 2020 will be of Multiple Choice type (MCQs).
- The question will have 4 options, candidates must select the most appropriate answer.
Total Number of Questions in UGC NET 2020
- UGC NET 2020 will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions.
- Paper 1 will have 50 questions and Paper 2 will have 100 questions.
- There is No Restriction to move to and fro among the Papers.
- All the questions are compulsory to attempt.
The table below shows the exam pattern of Paper 1 and Paper 2:
|UGC NET Paper||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|Paper 1||50||100||A cumulative time duration of 3 hours.|
Shift 1: 9.30 AM – 12.30 PM
Shift 2: 2.30 PM – 5.30 PM
|Total||150 MCQs||300 Marks||180 minutes|
UGC NET Marking Scheme 2020
- A uniform marking scheme is followed in the exam i.e. for both Paper 1 and 2, each correct answer will fetch you 2 marks.
- As per the revised exam pattern of UGC NET exam, there is no negative marking for incorrect answer.
- Hence, instead of skipping a question, one can use their calculated guess and mark the answer.
The updated marking scheme of UGC NET is given below:
|Type of Answer||Marks Allotted|
|Correct Answer||2 marks|
|Incorrect Answer||0 mark|
|No Answer||0 mark|
Note: If a question for any reason is found to be incorrect, the benefit of marks will be given to only those candidates who attempted the question. However, if NTA drops a question, the benefit will be given to all the candidates.
Read How is UGC NET Scored?
UGC NET 2020 Syllabus (Updated)
Syllabus for UGC NET 2020 Paper 1 and Paper 2 varies and are designed to test different skills of the candidates. A brief about both the papers are:
- UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus tests teaching and reasoning ability, research aptitude, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate.
- UGC NET Paper 2 Syllabus is based on the subject chosen by the candidate. It tests candidate’s indepth knowledge and expertise in the respective subject.
UGC NET Paper I Syllabus 2020
Paper 1 is same and compulsory for every candidate. It will have a total of 50 multiple choice questions, 5 each from the following 10 topics:
- Teaching Aptitude
- Research Aptitude
- Mathematical Reasoning and Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
- Information and Communication Technology
- People, Development and Environment
- Higher Education System
UGC NET Paper II Syllabus 2020
Paper 2 Syllabus will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.
- It will have 100 MCQs only on the stream chosen by the candidate.
- All the questions of Paper II will be compulsory.
- It is suggested to thoroughly revise all the topics of Bachelors and Masters curriculum of your subject.
Click here to download Paper 2 Subjects Syllabus PDFs
UGC NET Books 2020
There are some of the important books that will help you to prepare better for UGC NET 2020. Candidates must be well versed with their respective subjects for Paper 2. They should rigorously go through books of their bachelors and masters curriculum. For Paper 1 they can follow the given books:
UGC NET Paper 1 Books
|Name of the Book||Author||Publisher|
|Trueman’s UGC NET/ SLET General Paper I||M. Gagan (Author), Sajit Kumar||Danika Publishing Company|
|UGC NET/ JRF/ SLET General Paper-1 Teaching & Research Aptitude||Arihant Express||Arihant Publication|
|CBSE UGC NET/SET/JRF – Paper 1: Teaching and Research Aptitude||KVS Madaan||Pearson Education|
|UGC NET/ SET Paper 1||--||McGraw Hill Education|
|CBSE UGC-NET: Teaching and Research Aptitude||Dr. M S Ansari & RPH Editorial Board||Ramesh Publishing House|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College