Table of Contents
CDS 2020 Admit Card(Out), Exam Dates, Pattern, Syllabus and Sample Papers
Combined Defence Services Examination (CDS) is conducted by UPSC to recruit entry level officers in Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Indian Air Force Academy and Officer’s Training Academy. It is conducted twice a year as CDS-I and CDS-II. CDS-I 2020 will be held on February 2, 2020. The application form was available from October 30 to November 19, 2019.
Latest Update: UPSC CDS 2020 Admit Card has been Released on January 9, 2020. Download Now.
- The age limit for different CDS exams is between 20-24 years. However, women candidates are only eligible for OTA.
- Candidates must be unmarried and possess a bachelor’s degree to satisfy CDS Eligibility 2020.
- The recruitment exam is a two stage process. Stage 1 is an OMR based objective written test while Stage 2 is an Interview for intelligence and personality test.
- CDS Exam Pattern consists of a 6-hour long exam of 300 marks for admission to IMA, INA and IAF and a 4-hour long exam for admission to OTA.
- CDS Syllabus includes English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics. However, OTA candidates have to take English and GK test only.
- Candidates qualifying in written exam will be invited for Interview round.
UPSC CDS 2020 Highlights
|Exam Name||Combined Defence Services Exam|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Exam Frequency||Twice a Year|
|Exam Type||National Level Recruitment Test|
|Number of Vacancies||418|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|CDS Helpdesk||011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591|
UPSC CDS Exam Dates 2020
UPSC has announced exam dates for both CDS I and CDS II. Candidates can check the official exam schedule below:
|Events||CDS I – February 2020||CDS II – November 2020|
|Release of UPSC CDS Notification||October 30, 2019||August 5, 2020|
|UPSC CDS 2020 Registration Began on||October 30, 2019||August 5, 2020|
|Last day to fill CDS Application Form 2020||November 19, 2019||August 25, 2020|
|CDS 2020 Application Withdrawal window||November 26 – December 3, 2019 (Open)||September 1 – 8, 2020|
|Issue of CDS Admit Card 2020||January 9, 2020 (Released)||October 2020|
|CDS I 2020 Exam Date||February 2, 2020||November 8, 2020|
UPSC CDS-I 2020 Vacancy
UPSC has announced 418 vacancies for CDS I 2020 exam as mentioned below:
|Name of Institution||Number of CDS Vacancies|
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun||100|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala||45|
|Indian Air Force Academy, Hyderabad||32|
|Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai||225|
|Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai (Women)||16|
UPSC CDS 2020 Salary
The pay scale for entry level officers through UPSC CDS is tabulated below:
|Lt. to Major||15,600-39,100|
|Lt. Col. to Maj Gen.||37,400-67,000|
|Lt. Gen. HAG Scale||67,000 (annual increment@3%) – 79.000|
|HAG Scale* (* Admissible to 1/3rd of total strength of Lt. Gens)||75,500 (annual increment@3%) – 80,000|
|VCO/AS/Army Cdr/Lt Gen(NFSG)||80,000 (Fixed)|
CDS 2020 Application Form
UPSC CDS 2020 Application Forms were available at the official website – upsconline.nic.in from October 30, 2019 – November 19, 2019. Candidates have to follow the below given steps to complete CDS Application Process:
- Visit the official site of UPSC – upsconline.nic.in and click on ‘Combined Defense Services Examination (I) 2020’under Active Examination tab.
- Once the registration form opens, enter your name, date of birth, gender, mobile number and email ID.
- Your registration number and password will be sent to you as an SMS and an email.
- Login using these credentials to pay the application fee.
- CDS Application Fees is INR 200, however, female, SC, ST and Physically handicapped candidates are exempted from fee payment.
- It can be paid via debit/ credit card, SBI Netbanking or by cash at any SBI Bank branch.
- Now, complete your form by indicating preferred posts and exam centers and other asked details.
- Upload your scanned passport size photograph, signature and photo ID proof as per the specifications.
- Lastly, agree to the declaration, submit the form and download a copy of your filled-in CDS 2020 Application Form for future reference.
UPSC CDS Eligibility Criteria 2020
Candidates must fulfil the minimum eligibility requirements before applying for CDS 2020. The eligibility for various posts are different as mentioned below:
Educational Qualification Requirements
- Indian Military Academy (INA): Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent.
- Indian Naval Academy (INA): Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology from a recognized university or equivalent.
- Indian Air Force Academy (AFA): Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology from a recognized university OR degree from a recognized university with Physics & Mathematics at 10+2 level.
- Officers’ Training Academy (OTA): Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent.
- Officers’ Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course): Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent.
Note: Candidates appearing in final year are also eligible to apply for CDS Exam 2020 on provisional basis.
Age Limit, Sex and Marital Status
- Indian Marital Academy: Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than January 2, 1997 and not later than January 1, 2002 only are eligible.
- Indian Naval Academy: Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than January 2, 1997 and not later than January 1, 2002 only are eligible.
- Indian Air Force Academy: Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than January 2, 1997 and not later than January 1, 2001 only are eligible.
- Officers' Training Academy (SSC Course for men): unmarried male candidates born not earlier than January 2, 1996 and not later than January 1, 2002 only are eligible.
- Officers' Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course): Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than January 2, 1996 and not later than January 2, 2002.
Note:UPSC will accept candidates’ date of birth as mentioned on Class 10 marksheet. Issueless widower and male divorcees are not considered as unmarried men.Read Detailed CDS 2020 Eligibility Criteria.
CDS Admit Card 2020
CDS Admit Card 2020 has been released on January 9, 2020. Candidates who have successfully registered for the exam can visit the official website and login with their registration number and password to download the document. CDS 2020 Admit Card will not be sent to the applicants via post. The admit card of CDS 2020 will have candidate’s details like:
- Name and address of the allotted exam centre
- Roll number
- Name, etc.
Candidates are advised to check all the entries in the admit card. In case of any discrepancy, candidate should immediately inform the authority. For the personality test, the commission will issue separate admit card.
CDS Exam Centers 2020
CDS 2020 exam will be held in 41 cities across the country. The distribution of exam centers will be done on the basis of the total number of appearing candidates. They are recommended to apply on early basis so that they can get an examination center of their choice. To check complete List of CDS Exam Centers Click Here.
CDS Exam Pattern 2020
CDS 2020 exam will be conducted in pen and paper based mode. The exam will be conducted in both in morning and forenoon session.
- CDS 2020 question booklet will have multiple-choice questions as per the prescribed syllabus.
- The total mark allotted to written test is 300 marks.
- The written test for admission to OTA is of 200 marks.
- CDS 2020 will be conducted for 2 hours/subject with the provision of negative marking for wrong answers.
- A negative marking of one-third marks will be applicable.
- The exam comprises of questions from Elementary Mathematics, English and General knowledge.
- The standard of the papers in Elementary Mathematics will be of Matriculation level while the standard of papers in other subjects will be of a graduate of an Indian University.
CDS Exam Pattern for IMA, IAF, INA
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|English Language||100||2 hours|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours|
|Total||300 Marks||6 Hours|
CDS Exam Pattern for OTA
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|English Language||100||2 hours|
|Total||200 Marks||4 Hours|
CDS Syllabus 2020
The syllabus of CDS 2020 was prepared by UPSC. The syllabus helps the candidates while their preparation for exam. Candidates who wish to appear for in CDS 2020 should go throughthe Complete Syllabus Carefully. Here, we are discussing the topics from which questions are asked in the examination.
English Syllabus – Synonyms, Antonyms, Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Error Spotting, Jumbled Sentences, Sentence Correction & Fill in the Blanks.
General Knowledge Syllabus – General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper also includes questions on History of India and Geography of nature.
Mathematics Syllabus – Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration & Statistics.
CDS 2020 Result
The result of CDS 2020 will be declared only for those candidates who have scored minimum qualifying marks in the written examination as fixed by the Commission in their discretion. The written exam result of CDS II 2019 has been declared on November 01, 2020 in a pdf file format. The result of CDS I 2020 is expected to be declared in April 2020.
To check their results, candidates must perform the following steps:
- Go to the official website of UPSC- upsc.gov.in.
- Click on the link given for CDS I 2020 Result OR
- Go to the examination tab and click on “Active Examination” and navigate to CDS I 2020 Result link.
- Click on it, a pdf will appear with the names of qualifying candidates.
Candidates who have qualified the CDS 2020 written exam will be called by Service Selection Board for psychological aptitude test, intelligence test and interview.
- Candidates have to secure the minimum qualifying marks separately in CDS 2020 written examination and CDS 2020 SSB test.
- The examination authority will prepare merit list of all the qualified candidates based on the total marks secured by them and accordingly, they will be selected for the CDS 2020 courses.
CDS Cutoff 2020
Candidates have to secure the cut off score as per their category to qualify the entrance exam. The exam conducting body UPSC will release CDS 2020 Cut off score after the completion of CDS I 2020 recruitment process.
The result has been declared for only those candidates who have qualified the subject wise as well as overall cut off score.
Here, we are providing the previous year cutoff for applicants that will give an idea of the expected cutoff for this year. Candidates can check last year CDS cut off score from the table given below.
|Academy||Written Exam||Final Marks|
CDS Selection Process 2020
The selection of candidates will be based on the written test, personal interview and personality test. Candidates will have to qualify all stages of the selection process. The document verification will be done after deciding the selection status of a candidate. The final merit list will be prepared on the basis of total marks secured in the written examination and in the SSB Interview.
- Candidate who will qualify the written test will be called for Service Selection Board which includes psychological aptitude test, intelligence test and interview.
- Note that those who qualify in the written test will have to register themselves for SSB Interview at www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.
- SSB board evaluates intelligence, personality, compatibility and potential of prospective candidates for recruitment in the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- SSB interview is a five days process which includes two stages of testing- Stage 1 being Psychological Aptitude Test and Stage 2 is Intelligence test.
- Stage 1 of SSB Interview will be conducted on the first day of the SSB interview process.
- Candidates clearing aptitude test will only proceed to the second stage, otherwise, they will be sent back on the very first day.
- Candidates who wish to join Air Force and Naval Aviation will have to appear for Pilot Aptitude Test.
SSB Interview : Stage 1
- The stage 1 of SSB Interview is Officer’s Intelligence Rating and Picture Perception and Description Test. Read Officer’s Intelligence Rating Test in SSB Interview
- Candidates will be tested on the basis of 2 sections- Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning
- The test is conducted in the span of approximately 1 hour.
- Verbal section is to be complete in 30 minutes with 50 compulsory questions.
- 50 questions are to be answered in non-verbal reasoning section in 25 to 30 minutes time.
- The picture perception and description test is to examine candidate’s memory retention abilities.
- In this test, candidates are shown a hazy picture for 30 seconds and based on it the further exercise is carried out.
SSB Interview : Stage 2
Stage 2 of SSB Interview is a 5-day process involving Psychological test, Group Task, Personal Interview and Conference.
- Psychological Test- This tests aspirant’s emotional and behavioral reactions through TAT (Thematic Appreciation Test), WAT (Word Association Test), SRT (Situation Reaction Test) and Self- Description. Know More About Psychological Test in SSB Interview
- Group Task- candidates are judged for their officer like qualities in group task along with their physical and mental prowess.
- Personal Interview- Personal Interview session is conducted on the third day of the SSB Interview process in front of the senior officials. Candidate’s personal abilities, behavior and thought exercises are put to test.
- Conference- This is the conclusive stage of the CDS SSB Interview, wherein candidates appear in front of the Board Committee. This committee consists of members from President of the board, Deputy President, Group Testing Officers, Psychologists.
UPSC CDS 2020 FAQs
Ques. What is CDS?
Ans. CDS is Combined Defense Services examination, conducted to recruit eligible candidates for Indian Military Academy, Officers' Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy.
Ques. Who conducts CDS 2020?
Ans. CDS 2020 is conducted twice annually by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) which is India's central recruiting agency.
Ques. Where will candidates be posted if they crack CDS 2020 examination?
Ans. There are few reputed government organizations, where candidates who have qualified CDS 2020 will be posted. They are listed below:
- Indian Military Academy, Dehradun
- Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala
- Air Force Academy, Hyderabad
- Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai Women (Non-Technical) Course
Ques. What is the age limit to get recruited through CDS 2020?
Ans. Various government organizations that recruit candidates with respect to their CDS 2020 scorecard is bounded with different age limits, which is elaborated below in tabular form:
|Indian Military Academy||19-24 years|
|Air Force Academy||19-23 years|
|Naval Academy||19-22 years|
|Officers’ Training Academy||19-25 years|
Ques. What is the minimum required qualification to get recruited for Indian Military Academy via CDS 2020 scorecard?
Ans. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University or equivalent to get selected for Indian Military Academy after clearing CDS 2020 examination.
Ques. What education qualification is required to get recruited for Indian Naval Academy via CDS 2020 scorecard?
Ans. Candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s in technology aka engineering from a recognized University to get selected for Indian Naval Academy after getting through CDS 2020 examination.
Ques. What academic qualification is required in order to get recruited for Air Force Academy via CDS 2020 scorecard?
Ans. Candidates must either have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering/technology or a qualifying degree for Physics and Mathematics as subjects from a recognized University to get recruited for Indian Military Academy after qualifying CDS 2020 examination.
Ques. What education qualification is required to get recruited for Officers Training Academy through CDS 2020 scorecard?
Ans. Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University or equivalent to get selected for Officers Training Academy after qualifying CDS 2020 examination.
Ques. What academic qualification is required to get recruited for Officers Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course) through CDS 2020 scorecard?
Ans. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University or equivalent to work for Officers Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course) after qualifying CDS 2020 examination.
Ques. What should be candidate’s marital status for CDS 2020?
Ans. The marital status should be different for recruitment in different CDS affiliated government organizations as listed below:
|Indian Military Academy||Unmarried|
|Indian Naval Academy||Unmarried|
|Air Force Academy||Unmarried till 25 years|
|Officers’ Training Academy||Married or Unmarried|
|Officers Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical courses)||Unmarried or Widow|
Ques. What is the basic exam pattern for Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy?
Ans. The basic exam pattern for Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy, and Naval Academy is similar. The question paper will be objective type and the test’s syllabus and corresponding marks are listed below:
Ques. What is the basic exam pattern for Officers’ Training Academy?
Ans. Officers’ Training Academy’s question paper will be objective type (MCQs) and its syllabus along with the corresponding marks are listed below:
Ques. How can one apply for CDS 2020?
Ans. CDS 2020 application could be made via online mode from the official website of examination conducting authority, UPSC by visiting the link upsc.gov.in.
Ques. What are the documents that are required to fill CDS 2020 Application Form?
Ans. All the pre-requisites for filling CDS 2020 application form are bulleted below:
- Class 10th Mark sheet and Certificate
- Class 12th Mark sheet
- All the graduation Mark sheets for all the semesters
- Those who are studying in the final year of their degree course, all the Mark sheets up to their final semester should be available.
- Scanned image of candidate’s photograph and signature.
Ques. What specifications are needs for scanned photograph and signature?
Ans. Candidates need to abide by the below-mentioned specifications for successful submission of scanned photograph and signature:
|Candidate’s Photograph||.jpg||200 dpi||3 to 40 kb||140 x 110 pixels|
|Candidate’s Signature||.jpg||200 dpi||3 to 40 kb||110 x 140 pixels|
Ques. What are the steps to fill in CDS 2020 application/registration form?
Ans. All the steps to fill in CDS 2020 application/registration form are mentioned below:
- Log in to the official site of UPSC.
- Locate and click on the examination tab à ‘Combined Defense Services Examination (I)’
- CDS 2020 registration part 1 will then be displayed.
- Candidates need to fill in all the details and hit submit.
- Candidates will come across a registration number which needs to be kept safe.
- They are also recommended to take a print out of CDS 2020 registration part 1.
- Select the option Registration part 2.
- Fill in the form and pay the registration fees
- Enter submit.
- A confirmation page will appear which must be saved for future reference.
Ques. What is the mode of payment for CDS 2020 application fees?
Ans. Aspirants can pay the application fees for CDS 2020 exam by cash, card or net banking. The process for rendering fees via each method is given below:
- Pay by Cash On selecting this option, a system generated bank challan of State Bank of India will appear on the screen. Applicants must print out this challan and submit the requisite fees by cash at any branch of the bank. They must save the student copy of the challan as the proof of payment.
- Pay by Debit/ Credit Card or Net banking Aspirants can pay the fees through Debit/Credit card or through the Net Banking facility of State Bank of India/ State Bank of Patiala/ State Bank of Travancore/ State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/ State Bank of Hyderabad/ State Bank of Mysore. They must enter the required payment details on the bank page and save the receipt of the transaction.
Ques. Can CDS 2020 application be cancelled and requested for a refund, after the submission of the requisite application fee?
Ans. No, UPSC does not refund the application fees for CDS 2020 under any circumstance whatsoever.
Ques. Can a candidate submit multiple forms and the corresponding fees for one form be adjusted to the other?
Ans. Candidates can make multiple forms submit only under some unavoidable circumstances. However, they have to repay the fees as the fees of another form will not be adjusted for the accurate one.
Ques. How many exam centers across India will be allotted to conduct CDS 2020 examination?
Ans. There will be 41 cities in the country that will be selected as exam centers for CDS examination. However, candidates will be given an option to select the preferred center nearest to their place in the CDS 2020 registration form part 2.
Ques. What are the stages of CDS 2020 selection process?
Ans. CDS 2020 selection process includes 4 stages as follows:
- Written examination
- Personal Interview
- Document verification
- Medical examination
Ques. What does the second stage of CDS 2020 selection procedure, personal interview comprises of?
Ans. After the written CDS 2020 examination, UPSC conducts a personal interview for candidates who have qualified the former. This stage comprises of various activities to shortlist the deserving candidates such as Group discussion, Group activities, and Interview in person.
Ques. What document will be verified by UPSC for CDS 2020?
Ans. Once written examination and personal interview are cleared by the candidate; they are required to submit the below mentioned documents to clear with their 3rd stage of selection procedure:
- 10th standard mark sheet and certificates
- 12th standard mark sheet and certificates
- Graduation mark sheet (all semesters)
- Graduation provisional and degree
- Other educational documents
- Government identity card (PAN card, smart card, voter id card, driving license and suchlike)
Ques. What does the examination conducting authority test in Medical Examination?
Ans. Medical examination is the final stage of the selection procedure for CDS 2020. In this stage, candidates will be tested on their physical fitness. Those who qualify the medical examination, will be further recruited for various government organizations.
Ques. What are the two phases of CDS 2020 results?
Ans. CDS 2020 results are segregated into two phases namely written exam results and SSB (Services Selection Board) / personality test interview. Those who manage to get in the cut off for written test will be called for the personality test.
Ques. What is the estimated cut off for CDS 2020?
Ans. CDS 2020 expected cut off would fall in the ranges of 65-85.
Ques. What are the formulae for calculation of estimated marks for English and General Knowledge?
Ans. Estimated Score = (Total number of correct responses X 0.83) – (Number of wrong Answers X 0.33)
Ques. What are the formulae for calculation of estimated marks for Mathematics?
Ans. Estimated Score = (Total number of correct responses X 1) – (Number of wrong Answers X 0.33).Ques. What is the time duration of CDS 2020 exam?
Ans. The time duration for CDS 2020 examination will be 6 hours (360 minutes), 2 hours for each section.
Ques. What are CDS expected cut off for Academy-wise?
Ans. The expected CDS 2020 cut -off academy wise is tabulated below:
|IAF Training Academy||Location||IAF Wing||UPSC CDS 2020 Cut off||Annual Vacancies|
|Indian Military Academy||Dehradun, UK||Indian Army||70-80||Around 100|
|Air Force Academy||Hyderabad, AP||Air Force||120-140||40-60|
|Indian Naval Academy||Ezhimala, Kerala||Indian Navy||60-70||40-50|
|Officers Training Academy||Chennai, TN||Indian Army||65-75||230-260|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College