CLAT 2018 Answer Keys, Result, Cut off, Counselling
CLAT Answer Keys 2018 are available on the official portal of CLAT (www.clat.ac.in). Candidates can check the keys to get an estimate of their scores in CLAT 2018. The national level law entrance examination concluded on May 13.
CLAT Answer Key 2018 Released – Check Here
As per the experts and students, CLAT this year was a bit easier than CLAT 2017. Coming to the actual paper, most of the questions were on predictable lines. Not much of the experiments were done in the exam. Know more
|CLAT 2018 Cut Off||CLAT Results||CLAT Counselling|
Highlights of CLAT 2018
|Conducting Body||National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi|
|Exam Date||May 13, 2018|
|NLUs seat intake||2984|
Exam Calendar (Updated)
For academic session 2018-19, NLU Kochi has released the notification. Visit CLAT Official Website i.e. www.clat.ac.in to check the same. Tabulated below are dates for the law entrance exam:
|CLAT 2018 Exam Notification||December 20, 2017|
|Availability of CLAT 2018 Application Form||January 1 – March 31, 2018|
|Availability of CLAT 2018 Admit Card|
April 26, 2018 (
|CLAT Exam Date 2018||May 13, 2018|
|Uploading of Answer Key||May 15, 2018|
|Declaration of CLAT 2018 Result (Merit List)||May 31, 2018|
|Publication of 1st Indicative Seat Allotment List||June 7, 2018|
|Payment of CLAT Counselling Fee (INR 50000)||June 8 – June 12, 2019|
Know More CLAT 2018 Exam Dates
CLAT Answer Keys
Release of CLAT Answer Key 2018: May 15
Answer keys are released as per the program i.e. LLB and LLM. Representation, if any, relating to the exam, questions or answer keys can be reported from May 16 to May 18. Provide Email ID and Password to access the Answer Keys.
Steps to check the answer keys:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT 2018.
Step 2: On the right side, a table of Important links will be there with the first link as ‘Click here to view Question and Answer Keys’. Click on it.
Step 3: A new page will appear, where a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Then click on ‘Login’ tab.
Step 4: Post that a new window will appear in which 5 tabs will be displayed. Click on ‘Candidate Response’ tab. Here, the answer keys will be displayed.
In this sheet, candidate will be able to see the responses which they got right and wrong. The response sheet will have the following details:
- Participant ID
- Participant Name
- Test Center Name
- Test Date
- Test Time
- Subject (CLAT 2018 UG/ CLAT 2018 PG)
- Marks Obtained
- Questions with correct answers
- Marks obtained as per the Questions
Publishing of CLAT Result 2018: May 31
Visit CLAT Official Website to check the results, carrying the quaifying status of candidates in CLAT 2018. Enter registered Email ID and Password to acces CLAT Results. The document is released in the form of scorecard containing –
- CLAT Scores
- All India Rank (AIR)
- Category Rank in CLAT
Important Points related to CLAT Results:
- The results are prepared by NLU Authorities.
- It is compiled on the basis of a candidate’s score in law entrance exam.
- A merit list is also issued by the authorities.
- It will include state merit list and India merit lists.
- These lists are prepared as per candidate’s category, like, Unreserved/SC/ST/OBC/Women/SAP for CLAT 2018 exam.
CLAT Cut Off
With the increase in the number of test takers every year, the cut off also increases. This year it is expected to increase by 5 % to 10%. The statistics are declared by CLAT Participating institutes individually.
- Cut off is the minimum score that needs to be secured in order to participate in the counselling procedure.
- CLAT Cut Off forms the basis of counselling and seat allotment.
The stats are calculated considering multiple factors listed below:
- Difficulty level of the paper,
- Availability of seats,
- Average marks scored in the test
- Total test population.
CLAT Cut Off 2017
CLAT 2017 was conducted by CNLU Patna on May 14, 2017. The cut off was very high as the difficulty level of the examination was not easy to moderate. Tabulated below is the first rank list:
|National Law University Name||NLU Cut off 2017|
CLAT 2017 Exam Analysis
Common Law Admission Test 2017 was conducted by Chanakya National Law University, Patna on May 14. There were few surprises in the exam. The level was also tougher as compared to last year, with GK and Elementary Mathematics being distinctly more difficult. Check Detailed CLAT 2017 Paper Analysis
A brief section wise analysis is as follows:
|Section||Difficulty Level||Good Attempt|
|English||Easy||31 – 32|
|General Knowledge||Difficult||16 – 17|
|Mathematics||Difficult||15 – 16|
|Legal Aptitude||Easy||39 – 40|
|Logical Reasoning||Easy||32 – 35|
Which are the Law Schools Participating in CLAT 2018?
For the academic session of 2018-19, National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi will be conducting the examination. The law entrance exam is scheduled for May 13, 2018. The other 19 NLUs participating and accepting CLAT 2018 scores are as follows:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study and Research University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Nagpur
- National Law University, Aurangabad (NLU Aurangabad)
Check othercolleges under CLAT
CLAT Admission Procedure: June 7 onwards
- The admission to UG and PG Programs offered by participating university is done via centralised online counselling conducted by CLAT Office.
- Seat allocation is done on the basis of merit-cum-preference.
- Candidates have to deposit INR 50,000 for securing allotted seat during counselling procedure.
Important Documents for CLAT Counselling
CLAT Application Form 2018
CLAT Hall Ticket 2018
CLAT Score Card 2018
Class 10th marksheet (for DOB prood)
Class 12th Marksheet (for academic qualification/ Eligibility Criteria)
Caste Certificate (If applicable)
SAP Certificate (If applicable)
NRI Certificate (If applicable)
Sponsored NRI Certificate (If applicable)
Domicile Certificate (If applicable)
Read More about CLAT 2018 Counselling
Things to Remember – CLAT 2018
- CLAT Exam Date – May 13, 2018
- Exam Mode – Online
- Duration of Exam – 3 hours
- Documents to Carry – Admit Card and Passport sized photographs to the exam center
- NLU Delhi and HP NLU Shimla have their own entrance exams by the name of AILET and HP NLET respectively.
- CLAT Scores are accepted by other law schools including NMIMS Mumbai, UPES Dehradun and Nirma University, Ahmedabad, to name a few.
As per the updates, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited and Power System Operation Corporation Ltd. are the only organisations/ PSUs recruiting via CLAT scores. Know more
CLAT Core Committee defines the eligibility for UG and PG Programs.The eligibility is measured on the following grounds:
For UG Program
- Age Limit: As per revised rules, there is no upper age limit for CLAT 2018.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/ May 2018 are also eligible to appear in CLAT exam.
For PG Program
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for the post-graduate program.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2018 are also eligible to appear in exam. However, they have to show a hard copy of the proof of their passing the qualifying examination in the respective National Law Universities at the time of admission.
Read More CLAT Eligibility
Application Form/ Registration (Closed)
CLAT Registration Dates: January 1 – March 31, 2018
Step 1 – Filling Basic Information
Law aspirants will have to register first in order to get a provisional Registration ID and Password. The following details will be required:
Step 2 - Scanning and Uploading of Documents
Login with the provisional ID and Password, and upload the documents as per the defined guidelines. Tabulated below is a brief of size and format of the Photo and Signature.Check Photo and Signature Size Format
|Document||Size and Format|
|Photograph||20 kb – 50 kb in JPEG only|
|Signature||10 kb – 20 kb in JPEG only|
Step 3 - Fill CLAT Application Form
Proceed to fill in the other required details in the application form. The information can be entered in any order. The sections are as follows:
- Personal Details like name, DOB, mobile number, Parent’s name, Postal Address, Gender, category etc.
- Qualification Details like marks scored, percentage, passing year, Board name etc.
- Preference for NLU as per your preference.
Step 4 – Payment of CLAT Application Fee
- The final step is to pay the stipulated application fee.
- It can be paid via online (Debit/Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Bank Challan).
Tabulated below is the application fee for each category:
|Category||Application Fee (INR)|
Admit Card/ Hall Ticket (Available)
Release of CLAT 2018 Admit Card: April 26
NLU Kochi will issue the hall ticket to all the successfully registered candidates. Visit the official website to download their CLAT Admit Card. Enter your registration no. and password to access the document. Details mentioned in the admit card –
- Candidate’s Name
- Father & Mother Name
- Date of Birth
- Application No.
- Roll No.
- Program Name
- Candidate’s Category
- Candidate’s Photo and Signature
- Invigilator Signature
- Exam Center and Address
- Exam Date and Time
- Exam Day Instructions
- Computer Model No.
- At the time of registration, candidates are required to choose three exam centers in the order of preference.
- The Convener reserves the right to add or delete some test zones notified.
- The Convener reserves the right to allot any test zones other than that opted by the candidates.
The following map indicates few test zones for CLAT 2018:
Paper Pattern and Syllabus (Exam on May 13)
Exam Pattern for LLB
- For undergraduate courses, the question paper will contain 5 sections namely - English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning.
- For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded 1 mark and ¼ mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
The section-wise distribution in the question paper is mentioned below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|English (including comprehension)||40||40|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||50||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20||20|
|Total||200 questions||200 marks|
Exam Pattern for LLM
- As per CLAT Paper Pattern, the postgraduate courses will contain 3 sections namely Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.
- The question paper for postgraduate courses will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions.
Distribution of questions in each section is indicated in the table below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50||50|
The official syllabus for the law entrance exam is available online at clat.ac.in. Law aspirants seeking admissions to 19 NLUs and other law schools must be fully aware of CLAT Syllabus to prepare better for the examination. A brief about the important topics in CLAT are as follows:
Section 1: English including Comprehension
The questions in this section are from comprehension and grammar. They are designed in order to test candidate’s aptitude in English. In the comprehension section, candidates are evaluated on the basis of their understanding of the passage, its central theme, the meaning of words etc.
|Analogies||Idioms & Phrases|
|One word substitution||Sentence Improvement & rearrangement|
|Fill in the blanks||Spotting Errors|
Section 2: General Knowledge and Current Affairs
Candidates are tested on the basis of their awareness of national and international issues including static General Knowledge. It is important to keep oneself up-to-date with the news and other topics discussed in the print and digital media from March 2016 to April 2018.
Section 3: Mathematics
In this section, candidate’s aptitude for elementary Mathematics i.e. Math taught up to Class 10 will be tested.
|Profit and Loss||Percentage|
|Permutation and Combination||Clocks and Calendar|
Section 4: Legal Aptitude
The section tests candidate’s interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem-solving ability. The official website stats – ‘Questions will be framed with the help of legal propositions (described in the paper), and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied. Some propositions may not be "true" in the real sense.
|Indian Constitution||Indian Penal Code|
|Indian Contract Act||Family Law|
|Law of Torts||Legal Fundamentals and Terms|
Section 5: Logical Reasoning
The questions are designed to test candidate's ability to identify patterns, rectify illogical arguments and logical links. There will be no question from visual reasoning.
|Statement and Assumptions||Statement and Conclusion|
|Statement and Arguments||Statement and actions|
|Assertion – Reason||Syllogism|
|Number Test||Direction and distance test|
CLAT Books and Preparation Tips
The first step for preparation is to know about the paper pattern and syllabus of the exam. For undergraduate courses, students have to prepare 5 subjects namely English Comprehension, Elementary Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current affairs, Legal Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. Out of all the sections, Legal Aptitude is the most important section. For preparing this section you can refer “Universal Guide to CLAT or A.P. Bhardwaj CLAT guide”. Do read newspapers on regular basis to prepare for current awareness questions. For elementary mathematics prepare syllabus of class 9th & 10th. In English comprehension, there will be 4-5 short passages on which around 20-22 questions will be asked 7-8 questions is based on antonyms & synonyms and rest questions will be on Grammar. For this, you can practice previous year mock test papers. You can also prepare these topics for online tutorials available for CLAT. CheckPreparation tips for CLAT
Here we have compiled a small list of books which can prove to be helpful during your CLAT preparation:-
|CLAT Book Name||Author/Publication|
|The Complete Success Package - CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) 2016||Arihant Experts|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning For the CLAT and LL.B. Entrance Examinations||A. P. Bhardwaj|
|The Pearson Guide to the CLAT||Harsh Gagrani|
|CLAT Solved & Previous Year Paper||A. P. Bhardwaj|
The following map indicates city wise top most coaching centers for CLAT 2018.
|CLAT Coaching Center in Chennai||CLAT Coaching Center in Bangalore||CLAT Coaching Centers in Ahmedabad|
|CLAT Coaching Center in Delhi||CLAT Coaching Center in Cochin||CLAT Coaching Centers in Patna|
CLAT 2018 – FAQs
Ques. When is CLAT exam conducted every year?
Ans. The Common Law Admission Test or CLAT is held on the second Sunday of May every year. Nearly 50 thousand candidates register online for the law entrance examination.
Ques. What is the age wise eligibility to appear for CLAT Exam?
Ans. From the year 2016, the authorities removed the upper age limit. But, the lower age limit to apply online is below 20 years of age as on 1st July 2018 (22 years in case of SC/ST and Persons with Disability candidates). Check CLAT Eligibility
Ques. Is there an option to write CLAT in offline mode?
Ans. No, as per the directives issued by the authorities, CLAT 2018 exam is a Computer Based Test i.e. it is conducted via online mode only.
Ques. Is there any requirement of computer skills for appearing in CLAT 2018?
Ans. Law aspirants’ appearing for CLAT only needs to operate the computer mouse.
Ques. How many seats are there in National Law Universities?
Ans. For the year 2018, there are 19 NLUs offering admissions to law aspirants as per candidates score in CLAT 2018. The National Law Universities will offer a total of 2984 seats. As two new NLUs have been added, the number of seats has also increased. Check CLAT Reservation.
Ques. Can a student apply to any other Law School / University using CLAT Score?
Ans. Yes, students can apply to a number of other private colleges using CLAT score. Some of the top Law Schools/ Universities, which accept CLAT Scores, are listed below.
- Alliance University, Bangalore
- Asian Law College, Noida
- Dr. K.N. Modi Unversity, Rajasthan
- Faculty of Law, Marwadi University, Rajkot
- Geeta Institute of Law, Panipat
- ICFAI University, Tripura
- Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Law College Dehradun, Uttaranchal University
- Lloyd Law College, Greater Noida
- Maharishi University of Information Technology, Delhi NCR
- REVA University, Bangalore
- RNB Global University, Bikaner
- Siddhartha Law College, Dehradun
- SRM University, Haryana
- Unitedworld School of Law, Karnavati University, Gandhinagar
Ques. What are the other major Law Entrance Exams for Law at the undergraduate level?
Some of the other major law entrance exams in India are listed below:
- Christ CET
- Army Law School Entrance Test
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Faculty of Law – Common Entrance Test
Ques. If I do not clear the minimum CLAT Cut off 2018, will I still be eligible for final admissions?
Ans. No, it is necessary to qualify the minimum cut off for CLAT for further admission procedure. Failing in this step will make you ineligible to get admissions in any of the law schools accepting CLAT Scores.
Ques. When and how will I receive my CLAT Admit Card 2018?
Ans. Candidates who registered successfully will be issued their admit card online at clat.ac.in. The document will not be send via post. Last date to download it is May 12, 2018. Know Details CLAT Admit Card
Ques. When can I provide my choice options for NLUs?
Ans. Candidates can provide their NLU choices while applying for CLAT.
Ques. In case I lose or misplace my admit card at the exam center, can I download it later?
Ans. Yes, you must contact the concerned authorities and report the incident to them. They will help you with downloading the duplicate admit card.
Ques. On what occasions do students need to make payments on the CLAT website?
In the entire procedure for getting finally enrolled in the NLUs, candidates have to make payments on the following occasions:
- Submitting the Online Application Form
- If interested in downloading the Previous Year’s Question papers and
- While participating in the counseling session.
Ques. Will I be given extra sheets/ papers for calculations/ rough work?
Ans. Yes, candidates appearing for the law entrance examination will be given sheets for rough work or calculations at the exam center by the invigilators. However, no candidate can carry his or her own notebooks or copies for any rough work.
Ques. How does CLAT Committee decides which NLU will hold the law exam?
Ans. The order is decided as per the NLU's year of establishment.
Ques. Can you list down the items that are banned to be carried at CLAT Exam Center 2018?
Ans. Listed below are the items or material that are strictly prohibited at the center:
- Mobile Phones
- Books/ chits/ sheets
- Electronic Gadgets
Ques. Which are the colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 10 Lakh – 14 Lakh per annum?
Colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 10 Lakh – 14 Lakh per annum are:
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore
- NALSAR University of Law (NALSAR), Hyderabad
- The National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata
Ques. Which are the colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 7 Lakh – 10 Lakh per annum?
Colleges that offer placements with salaries of 7 Lakh – 10 Lakh per annum are:
- National Law University (NLU), Jodhpur
- Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU), Raipur
- Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar
- National Law University, Delhi
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
- Symbiosis Law School, Noida
- Government Law College, Mumbai
- Indian Law Society, Pune
Ques. Who are the major Law Firms who recruit from National Law Universities?
The major Law Firms who recruit from National Law Universities are:
- Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co
- AZB & Partners
- Khaitan & Co
- J Sagar Associates
- Luthra & Luthra
- Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan
- Nishith Desai Associates
- Anand and Anand
- Desai & Diwanji
- Economic Laws Practice
- Wadia Ghandy & Co
- Phoenix Legal
- DSK Legal
- Fox Mandal
Ques. How can I practice for CLAT Online?
Ans. Candidates can take mock tests as they will help in practicing for online CLAT. The mock tests are quite helpful and they provide you look and feel of the format of the actual common law admission test. Check CLAT Mock Test
Ques. Is there any negative marking for CLAT 2018?
Ans. CLAT 2018 follows a negative marking policy where 0.25 marks each will be deducted for every wrong answer.
Ques. Who are the major MNCs who recruit from National Law Universities?
The major MNCs who recruit from National Law Universities are:
- ITC Ltd.
- ICICI Bank
- HDFC Bank
- P & G
Ques. Is there any arrangement for SAPs or PwDs?
Ans. Yes, there are arrangements made for the cateries. They are as follows:
- They can opt either to arrange for his/ her own scribe or to make request to the CLAT office to provide one for them.
- They will be entitled to a compensatory time of 40 minutes.
Ques. How can I get past years CLAT question papers?
Ans. The past years CLAT question papers will be available at clat.ac.in. To download the previous year papers, a requisite needs to be paid. For this year, INR 400 needs to be paid to access the papers.
Ques. What is the procedure of admission on the CLAT website?
Ans. The merit list-cum-preference will be the basic principle of admission for CLAT and the allotment of candidates to various NLUs will be based on the same. Hence, an online counseling would take place after the announcement of the CLAT results, wherein the candidates will be able to mark the preferences of the NLUs for admission within the stipulated period mentioned in the schedule.
Ques. Which organisation(s) will use CLAT scores for recruitment purposes?
Ans. As per the updated notification, scores in CLAT 2018 will be used by Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited only.
Ques. How many candidates will be selected for counseling through CLAT?
Ans. The first 2500 candidates (comprising 40% extra candidates proportionately from various categories such as General/SC/ST/OBC/PWD etc.) in the merit list will be allowed to participate in the online counseling against the actual seats available with the participating NLUs, by logging in to the personal Login Account on the CLAT website.
Ques. Are there any good law Schools who do not have entrance exams?
Ans. Yes, there are a few Law Schools who feature within the top 25 law schools in India but they do not have an entrance exam. They admit students on the basis on the Class 12th Board Marks. Some of them are listed below:
- Indian Law Society, Pune, Maharashtra
- Government Law School, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Nirma University - Institute of Law, Gandhinagar
- UPES, Dehradoon, Uttrakhand
Ques. Other than CLAT which other Law Exams should be kept in mind?
Ans. Apart from CLAT, there are various other state and national level law examination that one should be aware of. They are as follows:
- AILET - All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) for admission in National Law University (NLU), Delhi.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) conducted by the Symbiosis International University to get admission into Symbiosis Law School.
- CET IPU - The Common Entrance test conducted by Inderprastha University, Delhi for various law colleges situated in Delhi and NCR including Amity Noida.
- LSAT-India is a standardized test adopted as an admissions criterion by multiple law colleges across India.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College