CLAT 2019 Application Date (Extended), Exam Dates, Eligibility and Syllabus
NLU Odisha has rescheduled CLAT 2019 due to Lok Sabha elections. The offline exam will be now conducted on May 26 instead of May 12. Law aspirants seeking admissions to 3 years/ 5-year Integrated LLB and LLM Programs in 19 NLUs and other private schools can apply online from January 13 to April 15, 2019 (Extended). The application fee is INR 4000. Register Here!
Latest Update: CLAT 2019 last date for application process is extended till April 15, 2019.
1. Candidates can submit their CLAT 2019 Application Form till April 15, 2019.
2. IOCL recruiting experience law officers through CLAT 2019 – Check Here
- As per CLAT Eligibility, candidates should have passed class 12 for UG courses while for PG program, applicants must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Interested candidates can submit their application at clat.ac.in by using their Email ID and Personal mobile number.
- For LLB, the exam will consist of 200 objective types of questions worth 200 marks. Check CLAT Exam Pattern
- For LL, students have to attempt 150 multiple choice questions in 2 hours.
- The official CLAT Syllabus will be released by NLU Odisha, Cuttack.
- Students appearing for CLAT 2019 can check their exam readiness by downloading free CLAT Sample Papers.
CLAT or Common Law Admission Test is a national level entrance exam organized by 21 NLUs on a rotational basis. It is held for admission to law courses offered by 21 NLUs and various private colleges and universities. GATE scores are also accepted by various PSUs for recruitment. Check PSU Recruitment through CLAT
Highlights of CLAT 2019
|Conducting Body||National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi|
|Exam Date||May 26, 2019 (Sunday)|
|Exam Mode||Offline i.e. pen-paper mode|
|NLUs seat intake||2984 – CheckCLAT Seat Matrix|
Note: The results for law exam (LLM) will be declared in May 2019. Post result declaration, counselling will be conducted in June 2019. The admission is granted on the basis Cut Off declared by the NLUs. Scores are also accepted by various PSUs for recruitment. The post is for Legal Advisor at E 1 Level or Legal Executive Trainees. Check PSU Recruitment through CLAT
Trending Questions for CLAT (Common Law Admission Test)
Q. What is CLAT?
- CLAT stands for Common Law Admission Test.
- It is the topmost law entrance examination conducted at national level.
- Each year, it is conducted by 19 law schools on the basis of their establishment.
- Intermediate graduates can apply for LLB program and Law graduates can apply for LLM programs.
- Like CLAT, LSAT India is another top-notch exam which has joined the race of law examination. Know Difference between CLAT and LSAT India?
Q. What programs are offered by the National Law Universities (NLUs)?
Law aspirants qualifying CLAT exam are eligible to secure admissions to the following programs:
|BA LLB (Hons)||BSc. LLB (Hons)|
|BBA LLB (Hons)||BSW LLB (Hons)|
|B. Com LLB (Hons)||LLM|
- The undergraduate programs will be for five years.
- The postgraduate program will be of one year.
Q. How many students are appearing for CLAT 2019?
- CLAT 2019 witnessed a record-breaking participation for the law entrance exam. There were 45,040 aspirants who appeared for the exam.
- For CLAT 2019, nearly 47,106 candidates appeared for the law entrance exam.
- The participation for this year is expected to be higher. The statistics for the same will be available shortly.
CLAT 2019 Exam Dates (Released)
For academic session 2019-20, NLU Cuttack will release the notification shortly. Visit CLAT Official Website i.e. www.clat.ac.in to check the same. Tabulated below are the tentative dates for the law entrance exam:
|CLAT 2019 Exam Notification||December 20, 2018|
|Availability of CLAT 2019 Application Form||January 13 – April 15, 2019|
|Availability of CLAT 2019 Admit Card|
May 15, 2019
|CLAT Exam Date 2019||May 26, 2019 (Sunday 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM)|
|Uploading of Answer Key||May 29, 2019|
|Declaration of CLAT 2019 Result (Merit List)||May 31 – June 30, 2019|
|Publication of 1st Indicative Seat Allotment List||June 10, 2019|
|Payment of CLAT Counselling Fee (INR 50000)||June 10 – 14, 2019|
Know More CLAT 2019 Exam Dates
CLAT Eligibility 2019
CLAT Core Committee defines the eligibility for UG and PG Programs. The eligibility is measured on the following grounds:
For UG Program
- Age Limit: As per revised rules, there is no upper age limit for CLAT 2019.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent examination.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/ May 2019 are also eligible to appear in CLAT exam.
For PG Program
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for the post-graduate program.
- Academic Qualification: Candidate must have an LLB or any other equivalent degree.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in March/April 2019 are also eligible to appear in exam. However, they have to show a hard copy of the proof of their passing the qualifying examination in the respective National Law Universities at the time of admission.
Read More CLAT Eligibility
How to fill CLAT Application Form 2019?
Registration window became functional from January 1. Visit CLAT Official Website to access the application form of the Common Law Admission Test. The last date to fill in the form is April 15, 2019. Completing CLAT Registration primarily involves four steps –
Step 1 – Filling Basic Information
Law aspirants will have to register first in order to get a provisional Registration ID and Password. The following details will be required:
Step 2 - Scanning and Uploading of Documents
Login with the provisional ID and Password, and upload the documents as per the defined guidelines. Tabulated below is a brief of size and format of the Photo and Signature. CheckPhoto and Signature Size Format
|Document||Size and Format|
|Photograph||20 kb – 50 kb in JPEG only|
|Signature||10 kb – 20 kb in JPEG only|
Step 3 - Fill CLAT Application Form
Proceed to fill in the other required details in the application form. The information can be entered in any order. The sections are as follows:
- Personal Details like name, DOB, mobile number, Parent’s name, Postal Address, Gender, category etc.
- Qualification Details likemarks scored, percentage, passing year, Board name etc.
- Preference for NLU as per your preference.
Step 4 – Payment of CLAT Application Fee
- The final step is to pay the stipulated application fee.
- It can be paid via online (Debit/Credit or Net Banking) or offline (Bank Challan).
Tabulated below is the application fee for each category:
|Category||Application Fee (INR)|
CLAT Admit Card 2019
Candidates who successfully registered can download their hall ticket from May 15, 2019. Carry a valid photo ID proof (Aadhar Card/Voter ID/ Passport/Driving license) along with CLAT Admit Card at the examination center.
How to Download CLAT Admit Card?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT i.e. clat.ac.in
Step 2: Click on ‘Download Admit Card’ tab.
Step 3: Enter Registered E-mail ID and Password
Step 4: Click on Login/ Submit tab.
Step 5: Check and download the hall ticket.
CLAT Exam Pattern
The national law entrance exam will be of two hours duration. The offline mode exam will have 200 objective type questions. Highlights of exam pattern of CLAT is as follows:
- Mode of Examination: Offline
- Number of Sections: In LLB- 5 Sections and In LLM – 3 sections
- Nature of Questions: Objective type (MCQs)
- Total Questions: 200 Questions in LLB and 150 Questions in LLM
- Marking Scheme: 1 mark of each question
- Negative Marking: 0.25 marks deducted for a wrong answer
Exam Pattern for LLB
- For undergraduate courses, the question paper will contain 5 sections namely - English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning.
- For every correct answer, a candidate will be awarded 1 mark and ¼ mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
The section-wise distribution in the question paper is mentioned below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|English (including comprehension)||40||40|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||50||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20||20|
|Total||200 questions||200 marks|
Exam Pattern for LLM
- As per CLAT Paper Pattern, the postgraduate courses will contain 3 sections namely Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.
- The question paper for postgraduate courses will have a total of 150 multiple choice questions.
- In the LLM admission test, some subjective portion would also be included in 2019.
- The details of the subjective portion will be worked out by the CLAT Executive Committee.
Distribution of questions in each section is indicated in the table below:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Rest of the topics like Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR etc.||50||50|
Aspirants appearing for legal aptitude test on May 12 should be fully aware of the syllabus. NLU Odisha, Cuttack will release the official CLAT Syllabus and there are no changes in the curriculum. CLAT Syllabus for UG program as mentioned on the official website is as follows:
Section 1: English including Comprehension
The questions in this section are from comprehension and grammar. They are designed in order to test a candidate’s aptitude in English. In the comprehension section, candidates are evaluated on the basis of their understanding of the passage, its central theme, the meaning of words etc. In the grammar section, candidates are required to spot the errors, fill in the blanks with an appropriate choice etc.
Section 2: General Knowledge and Current Affairs
Candidates are tested on the basis of their awareness of national and international issues including static General Knowledge. It is important to keep oneself up-to-date with the news and other topics discussed in the print and digital media from March 2016 to April 2019.
Section 3: Mathematics
In this section, candidate’s aptitude for elementary Mathematics i.e. Math taught up to Class 10 will be tested.
Section 4: Legal Aptitude
The section tests candidate’s interest in the study of law, research aptitude and problem-solving ability. The official website stats – ‘Questions will be framed with the help of legal propositions (described in the paper), and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied. Some propositions may not be "true" in the real sense (e.g. the legal proposition may be that any person who speaks in a movie hall and disturbs others that are watching the movie will be banned from entering any movie theatre across India for one year). Candidates will have to assume the "truth" of these propositions and answer the questions accordingly.’
Section 5: Logical Reasoning
The questions are designed to test candidate's ability to identify patterns, rectify illogical arguments and logical links. They will be framed around syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. However, visual reasoning will not be tested.
CLAT Books and Preparation Tips
The first step for preparation is to know about the paper pattern and syllabus of the exam. For undergraduate courses, students have to prepare 5 subjects namely English Comprehension, Elementary Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current affairs, Legal Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. Out of all the sections, Legal Aptitude is the most important section. For preparing this section you can refer “Universal Guide to CLAT or A.P. Bhardwaj CLAT guide”. Do read newspapers on regular basis to prepare for current awareness questions. For elementary mathematics prepare syllabus of class 9th & 10th. In English comprehension, there will be 4-5 short passages on which around 20-22 questions will be asked 7-8 questions is based on antonyms & synonyms and rest questions will be on Grammar. For this, you can practice previous year mock test papers. You can also prepare these topics on online tutorials available for CLAT. Check Preparation tips for CLAT
Here we have compiled a small list of books which can prove to be helpful during your CLAT preparation:-
|CLAT Book Name||Author/Publication|
|The Complete Success Package - CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) 2016||Arihant Experts|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning For the CLAT and LL.B. Entrance Examinations||A. P. Bhardwaj|
|The Pearson Guide to the CLAT||Harsh Gagrani|
|CLAT Solved & Previous Year Paper||A. P. Bhardwaj|
CLAT Answer Keys
As per the schedule, the answer keys for LLB and LLM Programs will be released online on May 29. Representation, if any, relating to the exam, questions or answer keys can be reported from May 29 to May 31. Provide Email ID and Password to access the Answer Keys. Steps to check the answer keys:
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT 2019.
Step 2: On the right side, a table of Important links will be there with the first link as ‘Click here to view Question and Answer Keys’. Click on it.
Step 3: A new page will appear, where a candidate has to provide his/her Registered Email ID and Password. Then click on ‘Login’ tab.
Step 4: Post that a new window will appear in which 5 tabs will be displayed. Click on ‘Candidate Response’ tab. Here, the answer keys will be displayed.
In this sheet, candidate will be able to see the responses which they got right and wrong. The response sheet will have the following details:
- Participant ID
- Participant Name
- Test Center Name
- Test Date
- Test Time
- Subject (CLAT 2019 UG/ CLAT 2019 PG)
- Marks Obtained
- Questions with correct answers
- Marks obtained as per the Questions
Publishing of CLAT Result 2019: May 31
Visit CLAT Official Website to check the results, carrying the qualifying status of candidates in CLAT 2019. Enter the registered Email ID and Password to access CLAT Results. The document is released in the form of scorecard containing –
- CLAT Scores
- All India Rank (AIR)
- Category Rank in CLAT
Steps to check Results
Step 1: Go to the official website of the Common Law Admission Test (clat.ac.in)
Step 2: Click on ‘Result’ tab.
Step 3: Enter your Registration No./ Roll No., DOB (dd/mm/yyyy) and security code.
Step 4: Click on ‘Login’ tab.
Step 5: View your results.
Important Points related to CLAT Results:
- The results are prepared by NLU Authorities.
- It is compiled on the basis of a candidate’s score in the law entrance exam.
- A merit list is also issued by the authorities.
- It will include state merit list and India merit lists.
- These lists are prepared as per candidate’s category, like, Unreserved/SC/ST/OBC/Women/SAP for CLAT 2019 exam.
CLAT Cut Off
With the increase in the number of test takers every year, the cut off also increases. This year it is expected to increase by 5 % to 10%. The statistics are declared by CLAT Participating institutes individually.
- Cut off is the minimum score that needs to be secured in order to participate in the counselling procedure.
- CLAT Cut Off forms the basis of counselling and seat allotment.
The stats are calculated considering multiple factors listed below:
- Difficulty level of the paper,
- Availability of seats,
- Average marks scored in the test
- Total test population.
CLAT Cut Off
CLAT 2017 was conducted by CNLU Patna and NUALS Kochi conducted CLAT 2018. Tabulated below is the first rank list:
|National Law University Name||NLU Cut off 2018||NLU Cut off 2017|
|NLSIU Bangalore||131 – 132||139.5|
|NALSAR Hyderabad||128 – 129||132.75|
|WBNUJS Kolkata||125 – 126||124|
|NLIU Bhopal||119 – 120||119.75|
|NLU Jodhpur||122 – 123||119|
|GNLU Gandhinagar||117 – 118||116.75|
|HNLU Raipur||113 – 114||112.5|
|RMLNLU Lucknow||112 – 113||112.25|
|RGNUL Punjab||111 – 112||107.5|
|MNLU Mumbai||115 – 116||106.5|
|CNLU Patna||109 – 110||101.75|
|NLUO Odisha||109 – 110||101.25|
|NUALS Kochi||109 – 110||100.75|
|NUSRL Ranchi||108 – 109||100.5|
|106 – 107||99.25|
|DSNLU Visakhapatnam||106 – 107||99.25|
|MNLU Nagpur||105 – 106||99|
CLAT Counselling 2019
Commencement of CLAT 2019 Counselling: June 10 onwards
Latest: Official CLAT 2019 Counselling Guidelines – Click Here
- The centralised counselling will be conducted by the CLAT Office.
- Candidates will be alloted seats as per ‘merit-cum-preference’ basis.
- Candidate must indicate their NLUs preference online where they want to take admission.
- Candidates have to deposit INR 50,000 for securing allotted seat during counselling procedure.
How to Attend CLAT Counselling?
Step 1: Visit the official website of CLAT and click on ‘CLAT Counselling 2019’ link.
Step 2: Provide login details including User Id/ Registration Id and Password.
Step 3: Click on ‘Counselling’ tab.
Step 4: Go through the indicative seat allotment list of NLUs.
Step 5: Pay the requisite amount of CLAT 2019 counselling fee (applicable to only those candidates who have their names in the indicative list for the first time).
Step 6: Exercise ‘Seat Lock’ option given against the allotted NLU.
Step 7: Save a copy of the NLU seat allotted list. Click on Logout option
Documents Required for Counselling
- CLAT 2019 Application Form
- CLAT 2019 Admit Card
- CLAT 2019 Score Card
- Class 10th Marks-sheet (Date of Birth proof)
- Class 12th Marks-sheet (Academic Qualification/ Eligibility Criteria)
- Caste Certificate (If applicable)
- Specially-Abled Certificate (If applicable)
- NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Sponsored NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (If applicable)
Read More about CLAT 2019 Counselling
CLAT 2019 FAQs
Ques. When is CLAT exam conducted every year?
Ans. The Common Law Admission Test or CLAT is held on the second Sunday of May every year. Nearly 50 thousand candidates register online for the law entrance examination.
Ques. What is the age wise eligibility to appear for CLAT Exam?
Ans. From the year 2016, the authorities removed the upper age limit. But, the lower age limit to apply online is below 20 years of age as on 1st July 2019 (22 years in case of SC/ST and Persons with Disability candidates).CheckCLAT Eligibility
Ques. Is there an option to write CLAT in offline mode?
Ans. Yes, from 2019 onwards, the examination will be conducted in pen-paper mode i.e. offline mode. Earlier, the examination was conducted in computer-based mode.
Ques. Is there any requirement of computer skills for appearing in CLAT 2019?
Ans. Law aspirants’ appearing for CLAT only needs to operate the computer mouse.
Ques. How many seats are there in National Law Universities?
Ans. For the year 2019, there are 19 NLUs offering admissions to law aspirants as per candidates score in CLAT 2019. The National Law Universities will offer a total of 2984 seats. As two new NLUs have been added, the number of seats has also increased.CheckCLAT Reservation.
Ques. Can a student apply to any other Law School / University using CLAT Score?
Ans. Yes, students can apply to a number of other private colleges using CLAT score. Some of the top Law Schools/ Universities, which accept CLAT Scores, are listed below.
- Alliance University, Bangalore
- Asian Law College, Noida
- Amity University, UP
- Azim Premji University, Bangalore
- Delhi Institute of Rural Development, Holambi, Delhi
- Institute of Law, Nirma University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun, Uttrakhand
- School of Law, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Manipal University, Jaipur
- REVA University, Bangalore
- SRM University, Delhi NCR
Ques. What are the other major Law Entrance Exams for Law at the undergraduate level?
Ans. Some of the other major law entrance exams in India are listed below:
- Christ CET
- Army Law School Entrance Test
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Faculty of Law – Common Entrance Test
Ques. If I do not clear the minimum CLAT Cut off 2019, will I still be eligible for final admissions?
Ans. No, it is necessary to qualify the minimum cut off for CLAT for further admission procedure. Failing in this step will make you ineligible to get admissions in any of the law schools accepting CLAT Scores.
Ques. When and how will I receive my CLAT Admit Card 2019?
Ans. Candidates who registered successfully will be issued their admit card online at clat.ac.in. The document will not be sent via post. Last date to download it is May 15, 2019.Know DetailsCLAT Admit Card
Ques. In case I lose or misplace my admit card at the exam center, can I download it later?
Ans. Yes, you must contact the concerned authorities and report the incident to them. They will help you with downloading the duplicate admit card.
Ques. On what occasions do students need to make payments on the CLAT website?
Ans. In the entire procedure for getting finally enrolled in the NLUs, candidates have to make payments on the following occasions:
- Submitting the Online Application Form
- If interested in downloading the Previous Year’s Question papers and
- While participating in the counseling session.
Ques. Will I be given extra sheets/ papers for calculations/ rough work?
Ans. Yes, candidates appearing for the law entrance examination will be given sheets for rough work or calculations at the exam center by the invigilators. However, no candidate can carry his or her own notebooks or copies for any rough work.
Ques. How does CLAT Committee decide which NLU will hold the law exam?
Ans. The order is decided as per the NLU's year of establishment.
Ques. Can you list down the items that are banned to be carried at CLAT Exam Center 2019?
Ans. Listed below are the items or material that are strictly prohibited at the center:
- Mobile Phones
- Books/ chits/ sheets
- Electronic Gadgets
Ques. Which are the colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 10 Lakh – 14 Lakh per annum?
Ans. Colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 10 Lakh – 14 Lakh per annum are:
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore
- NALSAR University of Law (NALSAR), Hyderabad
- The National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata
Ques. Which are the colleges, which offer placements with salaries of 7 Lakh – 10 Lakh per annum?
Ans. Colleges that offer placements with salaries of 7 Lakh – 10 Lakh per annum are:
- National Law University (NLU), Jodhpur
- Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU), Raipur
- Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar
- National Law University, Delhi
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
- Symbiosis Law School, Noida
- Government Law College, Mumbai
- Indian Law Society, Pune
Ques. Who are the major Law Firms who recruit from National Law Universities?
Ans. The major Law Firms who recruit from National Law Universities are:
- Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co
- AZB & Partners
- Khaitan & Co
- J Sagar Associates
- Luthra & Luthra
- Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan
- Nishith Desai Associates
- Anand and Anand
- Desai & Diwanji
- Economic Laws Practice
- Wadia Ghandy & Co
- Phoenix Legal
- DSK Legal
- Fox Mandal
Ques. Who are the major MNCs who recruit from National Law Universities?
Ans. The major MNCs who recruit from National Law Universities are:
- ITC Ltd.
- ICICI Bank
- HDFC Bank
- P & G
Ques. Is there any arrangement for SAPs or PwDs?
Ans. Yes, there are arrangements made for the categories. They are as follows:
- They can opt either to arrange for his/ her own scribe or to make a request to the CLAT office to provide one for them.
- They will be entitled to a compensatory time of 40 minutes.
Ques. How can I get past years CLAT question papers?
Ans. The past years CLAT question papers will be available at clat.ac.in. To download the previous year papers, a requisite fee need to be paid. For this year, INR 400 needs to be paid to access the papers.
Ques. Other than CLAT which other Law Exams should be kept in mind?
Ans. Apart from CLAT, there are various other state and national level law examination that one should be aware of. They are as follows:
- AILET - All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) for admission in National Law University (NLU), Delhi.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) conducted by the Symbiosis International University to get admission into Symbiosis Law School.
- CET IPU - The Common Entrance test conducted by Indraprastha University, Delhi for various law colleges situated in Delhi and NCR including Amity Noida.
- LSAT-India is a standardized test adopted as an admissions criterion by multiple law colleges across India.
Ques. What is the meaning of ‘Merit-cum-Preference’ basis in CLAT Counselling?
Ans. The term simply means that the allotment of seats will be given as per the candidate’s score in CLAT 2019 and the order of preference given by them at the time of registration.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College