CLAT 2021 Legal Reasoning Syllabus, Preparation Strategy, Tips and Tricks
One of the most important sections for CLAT 2021 is the legal reasoning section, which alone carries 25% of the total weightage in the exam. A lot of aspirants are confused about the exam, as many have had no prior exposure to the subject. While it is a new subject for many, with enough practise and exposure the candidate can gain confidence and easily score well in this section. One thing to note is that this section does not require knowledge of all the laws. Now, to help you prepare for this section, here is the CLAT 2021 Legal Reasoning Syllabus, Preparation Strategy, Tips and Tricks.
CLAT 2021 UG Exam Pattern
|Subjects||Marks Allotted||Number of Questions|
|English (with Comprehension)||40||40|
|Logical Reasoning ||40||40|
- Each Question will carry 1 mark for the right answer.
- There will be a negative marking of 0.25 for every wrong answer.
- There will be a total of 200 Objective (MCQ) type questions in the test.
- CLAT Exam Duration will be 2 hours.
ReadCLAT 2021 English Syllabus
CLAT UG Legal Aptitude Syllabus
|Subject||Passage Word Count||Topics Covered|
|Legal Reasoning||450 words each||Rules and Passages of Law, Application of the rules and passages, etc. |
- CLAT UG Legal Reasoning Section will have a few passages of 450 words each.
- You will have to answer questions based on these passages.
- The questions will be objective(MCQ’s)
- You will have to complete each passage within 5-8 minutes at most, depending on the number of passages asked.
- The questions will test your ability to apply law to various situations.
- While you do not need knowledge of law beyond the passage, it is recommended to have some basic legal literacy so that you know how to better apply it.
- There will not be any subjective type questions.
Read CLAT 2021 Syllabus in detail
CLAT UG Legal Aptitude Questions Asked
|Question Type ||2019||2018||2017|
|Law of Torts||22||7||6|
|Constitution of India||3||4||7|
|Indian Penal Code (IPC)||6||1||10|
CLAT UG 2020 Legal Aptitude Paper Analysis
- CLAT 2020 Legal Reasoning was reported to be moderately difficult.
- There were 8 passages, so each passage had to be solved within 5-8 minutes.
- Each passage had 4 to 5 questions worth 1 mark each.
- The passages were elementary, or very basic and did not require any advanced knowledge.
- Passages were asked on topics such as Palghar Lynching, Obscenity, Vizag Gas Leak, Natural Justice, Arnab Goswami vs. the Union of India, Article 20(Ex-Facto Post Laws), etc.
CheckCLAT 2021 General Knowledge and Current Affairs Syllabus
How to Prepare for CLAT Legal Aptitude?
Legal Aptitude can be a new subject for many people, especially those who are in the science background and have no prior exposure to law. Law is a very vast subject, but you do not need to know everything to attempt most questions. However, some knowledge of law and legal arguments is recommended. Here are some things to keep in mind while preparing for CLAT Legal Aptitude -
- Read: This is one of the most important things to do while preparing for CLAT. Having good reading skills will drastically reduce the time it takes to solve the questions. The entire paper will consist of several passages, so it will affect all the sections uniformly.
- Solve Mock Tests, Sample Papers and Previous year question papers: You should make sure to solve several practise papers. This will not only help you familiarize yourself with the exam pattern but also help you improve the time it takes for you to prepare for the exam and solve it quickly.
- Prepare the important topics thoroughly: Have a good understanding of the topics such as Torts law, Contract Law, Indian Penal Code, and Legal Maxims. You do not need to memorise it, but having an understanding of how the law works is more than enough. Remember, the exam is not about your knowledge of law; it is about how well you can apply it. Besides, any and all important information regarding the law will be presented to you in the passage itself.
- Time Management Tips: Each question should not take more than 45-55 seconds for the questions that require reasoning, and legal knowledge questions can be solved in less than 10 seconds. This nit picking is necessary in order to attempt all the questions, as sometimes it can get rather time consuming.
- Discuss: Discussion is the spirit of law. If you have friends or classmates that are also preparing for CLAT, have good and hearty discussions with them about the laws that you are reading about. Formulate an opinion and learn how to present it. If you do not have friends preparing for CLAT, join telegram groups, discord servers or other online forums dedicated to it.
- Be aware of legalese: This is a very good tip, as legal jargon can be very confusing especially during the exam. If you see a word term that you are unfamiliar with it will affect the entire flow of the exam and cause you unnecessary stress. This is where reading also comes in, as you will encounter several different terms which you will not know about. Look them up and make notes, which you should use to revise before the exam.
- Watch lectures on law by Experts: There are plenty of good resources online which are free and are easily accessible. Before watching their videos and committing your time and attention to them, make sure that they use good sources. Some great resources include lectures by YouTuber Sudhir Sachdeva, Sanyog Vyas Law Classes, Indian Law School, NALSAR University of Law etc.
CLAT Preparation Books – Legal Aptitude Section
|Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|Legal Awareness Legal Reasoning||Bhardwaj|
|Legal Aptitude for the CLAT and other Law Entrance Examinations||Bhardwaj|
|Universal’s CLAT Guide||Universal|
|Legal Aptitude||RK Gupta|
|Universal's Constitution of India Bare Act with Short Notes||Universal|
Recommended Books for CLAT 2021
CLAT UG Legal Aptitude Sample Papers and Mock tests
CLAT Legal Aptitude FAQ's
Q1. Is it necessary to attempt all the questions in legal aptitude?
Ans. No, it is not necessary to attempt all the questions in the legal aptitude section. You should, however, note that for every wrong answer there will be a penalty of 0.25 marks. So, it is recommended that you should attempt the questions that you are confident about. Anywhere between 35-40 questions is a good attempt.
Q2. How important is the legal aptitude section for CLAT?
Ans. The legal aptitude section is extremely important as it will set the tone for the rest of the academic year as well. The legal aptitude section is 50 marks out of 200, which is over 25% of the total weightage.
Q3. What would be a good last week preparation strategy for CLAT Legal Aptitude?
Ans. The week before the exam should mostly be set aside for revision only. Go through your notes and make sure you have no other doubts which might confuse you during the exam. Ignore any new developments that might happen the week before the exam.
Q4. What are some good ways to prepare for Legal Aptitude as a person with no exposure to law?
Ans. The best strategy is to start with the basics and familiarise yourself with it. Then, move on to the harder topics and study that way. Make sure you work on your legal vocabulary.
Q5. Is it necessary to study all important laws?
Ans. It is important to be familiar with all important laws and legal maxims. However, it is not necessary to memorise or be aware of all the laws. This will only overwhelm you.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College