The Elementary Mathematics section in UG CLAT 2021 will roughly contain around 13-17 questions. Each question has a weightage of 1 mark. 0.25 marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer. Candidates may note that this section is based on the mathematical concepts of class 10 which are relatively easy to deal with. The candidates can appear for various mock tests and solve the sample papers carefully in order to prepare themselves for the examination.
CLAT 2021 Elementary Mathematics Syllabus
The syllabus for Elementary Mathematics is mainly based on the fundamental concept of Mathematics. Candidates who have a clear concept of the basic level mathematics will have no problem in dealing with the questions from this section and they can achieve a fairly decent score. Here is a list of important topics which must be covered before appearing for CLAT 2021:
|Number system||Decimals and Fractions|
|Interest Calculation & Discounts||Approximation|
|Roots||Surds and Indices|
|HCF and LCM||Ratio and proportion|
|Profit and Loss||Areas and Volumes|
CLAT 2021 Elementary Mathematics Study Material
In order to achieve a good score in CLAT 2021, it is of primary importance that you go through the right study materials. Otherwise, you will never be able to succeed no matter how hard you work. So, do not spend unnecessary time reading books which are not useful for examination point of view.
There are endless online resources available which will help you to study Elementary Mathematics for CLAT 2021. Along with that, there are few important books which you can refer to.
|Book Name||Author Name||ISBN Number|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||R. S. Aggarwal||8121924987|
|Magical Book On Quicker Maths||Tyra||8190458922|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha||9351343553|
CLAT 2021 Elementary Mathematics Online Resources
When it comes to preparing for CLAT, it is very easy to lay your hands on online resources. There are many websites which provide study materials and notes to the students. Many organisations also conduct online mock test to help the students prepare for the examination. These mock tests contain section-wise questions to help the students analyse their preparations.
CLAT 2021 Elementary Mathematics Practice Papers and Mock Tests
- Solving sample papers while preparing for any exam is a good strategy. It not only acquaints the candidates with the kind of questions asked in the examination, also it helps them to know their strengths and limitations.
- Candidates appearing for CLAT Exam must also go through CLAT Sample Papers. They should try and solve them within stipulated time. Candidates may refer to the following sample papers/mock tests:
The candidates can go through more CLAT Practice Papers and prepare better for the exam.
CLAT 2021 Elementary Mathematics Preparation Tips
One of the most important and scoring sections of the CLAT examination is the Elementary Mathematics part. This section contains only basic questions which can be easily solved with fundamental concepts of mathematics.
Here are few pieces of advice which the students will find useful while studying for CLAT:
- Always make it a point to read the questions properly. While reading the question, you should underline the important points in the question paper itself. Otherwise, you may miss out on important details.
- Do not miss out on any topic as all the topics are equally important. Revise the topics thoroughly for better understanding of the concepts.
- Try to be confident. There are many students who make silly mistakes even after knowing how to solve the particular sum.Always try to brush up your fundamental concepts. You do not require to have an elaborate knowledge of Mathematics in order to appear for CLAT.
- When it comes to CLAT, time management is of extreme importance as time is very limited. First, solve the questions about which you are confident.
- Always maintain your speed and accuracy. If you are not sure about an answer, do not go for guesswork as in this way you may end up losing a lot of marks.
- Be focused and dedicated. Always keep your calm.
- Try to attempt as many mock tests as possible as this will play a great role in enhancing your confidence.
- Before sitting for the examination, make it a point through go through the previous year question papers as this will make you familiar with the question pattern and help you to fetch a decent score.
UG CLAT Practice Question Set
Ques 1. Sang-Saath Bank’s employees’ picnic on a river island turned into a disaster as the newly constructed road bridge connecting the island to the riverbank collapsed. Evacuation operations had to be carried out by ferrying the employees from the island across the river and on to the riverbank. One-sixth of the employees were evacuated by villagers in a country boat. Of the remaining, one-fifth were evacuated by fishermen in a trawler. The remaining evacuees were joined by villagers who were helping with the evacuation. Finally, 8 motor boats with 8 people each left the island.
1.1 If half of the motor boats had one villager each and the other half had 2 each, what was the ratio of villagers to employees in the motor boats?
Rationale: The correct answer is (2). Number of people that left on the 8 motor boats = 8 * 8 = 64 (i) Half of 8 boats had 1 villager each = ½ * 8 * 1 = 4 … (ii) Half of 8 boats had 2 villagers each = ½ * 8 * 2 = 8 … (iii) Therefore, total number of villagers = y = (ii) + (iii) = 4 + 8 = 12 (iv) Therefore, total number of employees in the 8 motor boats = (i) + (iv) = 64 – 12 = 52 (v) Therefore, ratio of villagers to employees in the 8 motor boats = (iv) : (v) = 12:52 = 3:13
1.2 How many employees were evacuated in the trawler?
Rationale: Number of employees evacuated by the country boat = x/6 (vi) Remaining employees after country boat evacuation = x – x/6 = 5x/6 (vii) Number of employees evacuated by the trawler = 1/5 * 5x/6 = x/6 (viii) [Note: See Rationale for 1.1 for calculated data] From (v) in Rationale for 1.1, we know that the number of employees evacuated by the 8 motor boats = 52.
Therefore, 52 = Remaining employees after country boat evacuation - Number of employees evacuated by the trawler, i.e. (vii) – (viii) = 5x/6 – x/6 = 4x/6 = 2x/3 Therefore, x = 52 * 3/2 = 78 = Total number of employees Therefore, the number of employees evacuated by the trawler = 78/6 = 13
1.3 If there were 4 villagers in the country boat, and 6 fishermen in the trawler, and if an equal number of people travelled in each trip; i.e. country boat, trawler, and motor boats, how many people travelled in each trip?
Rationale: Total number of employees = 78 [Note: See Rationale for 1.2] Villagers and fishermen in the country boat and trawler = 4 + 6 = 10 Number of villagers in the 8 motor boats = 12 [Note: See (iv) of Rationale for 1.1] Total number of people that travelled = 78 + 12 + 10 = 100 Number of trips = 1 (country boat) + 1 (trawler) + 8 boats = 10 Average number of people travelled by the country boat, trawler and the last 8 boats = 100/10 = 10
1.4 After they reached the shore, 1/3 of the employees took a taxi, half of them took a bus and the remainder took the train. The cost of a hiring a 4-seater taxi was Rs.500, the cost of hiring a bus was Rs.5000 and each train ticket was priced at Rs.75. The taxis took a maximum of four passengers each. If the total expenditure on the different modes of transport was Rs.9,475, how many taxis were hired?
Total number of employees = 78 [Note: See Rationale for 1.2] Number of employees that took a taxi = 1/3 * 78 = 26 Since each taxi is only a 4-seater, the number of taxis needed = 26/4 = 6 1/2 Therefore, number of taxis hired = 7
1.5 The total number of employees in Sang-Saath Bank is 4.5 times the number that went on the picnic. The Securities department of the bank consists of 4/9 of the total number of employees. The percentage of Sang-Saath Bank’s employees in the Securities department is:
- Between 45% - 50% of the total number of employees in the bank
- Between 40% - 45% of the total number of employees in the bank
- More than 50% of the total number of employees in the bank
- Less than 40% of the total number of employees in the bank
Rationale: Total number of employees evacuated = 78 [Note: See Rationale for 1.2] Total number of employees in the bank = 4.5 * 78 = 351 Number of employees in securities = 4/9 * 351 = 156 Percentage of people in Securities = 156/351 * 100 = 44.44%
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.