Table of Contents
CMAT 2021: Application Form, Exam Dates, Eligibility, Exam Pattern, Result and Cutoff
CMAT also known as, Common Management Admission Test is a national level entrance test organized by National Testing Agency (NTA). It is a 3 hour long computer based test to be tentatively conducted in first week of January 2021. It is a gateway to more than 1000 AICTE approved institutes such as Goa Institute of Management, JBIMS, Great Lakes Institute, and SIMSREE.
- CMAT Application Process will commence from first week of November 2020 and will be available till December second week on cmat.nta.nic.in.
- Results will be declared in February first week 2021 in the form of a scorecard, which will showcase the candidate’s personal details, maximum marks, marks obtained, overall percentile, and the candidate’s rank (AIR).
- Applicants can then utilize their scores and separately apply to the colleges that they have shortlisted according to the CMAT 2020 Cutoff.
CMAT 2020 Exam Report
NTA released the CMAT 2020 Result on February 4, 2020 along with the corresponding answer key and merit list. Applicants can access the PDF by entering their ID and password on the official CMAT website. Candidates can view their All India Rank (AIR) on the CMAT Merit List formulated by the administrative board. Out of the the 63,297 candidates who sat for the exam, only one of them was able to score a 100 percentile while 7 test-takers scored 99.99 percentile.
CMAT 2021 Highlights
|CMAT 2021 Conducting Authority||National Testing Agency (NTA)||Conducted by AICTE from 2014 to 2018|
|Exam Level||National||Exclusive Management entrance test conducted by NTA|
|CMAT Periodicity||Once in a year||Till 2015 it was conducted twice every year|
|CMAT Official Website||cmat.nta.nic.in||nta.nic.in (Management Entrance Test Section)|
|CMAT Mode of Application||Online||Document Uploading, fee payment and Admit Card Download in Online Mode|
|CMAT Exam Mode||Online||3 Hour Computer Based Test in single session|
|CMAT Score Validity||1 year||NTA Releases Merit List along with Scorecard|
|CMAT Score Accepting Colleges||1000+ colleges||By all AICTE Approved Colleges|
7042399521/ 7042399525/ 7042399526
CMAT 2021 Important Dates
CMAT 2021 Important Dates (Tentative)
|Commencement of Online registration||1st week of November 2020|
|Last date of online registration||1st Week of December 2021|
|Date of issue of admit cards||4th Week of December 2021|
|Date of examination||4th week of January 2021|
|Announcement of result||1st week of February 2021|
|Issue of scorecard||2nd week of February 2021|
CMAT 2021 Eligibility
Must Read Articles
- CMAT Quantitative Aptitude:Important Topics & Preparation Tips
- CMAT 2021 Logical Reasoning Preparation Tips
- CMAT Best CMAT Coaching Center in India
CMAT Eligibility Criteria 2021
The applicants must fulfil the below-mentioned eligibility conditions in order to be eligible for appearing in CMAT 2021:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- The applicant must have passed out with a minimum 3-year graduation degree from an AICTE approved college/university.
- He/ she must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in his/her graduation.
- There is no criteria for age.
- The students currently pursuing the final semester of their qualifying degree program/ appeared for the final semester examinations, are also eligible to apply. However, they are required to have met the eligibility requirement before the academic year 2021-2022 begins.
CMAT Eligibility for PwD Candidates
NTA considers persons with benchmark disabilities with over 40 percent specified disability. Specified disability means that it is mentioned in Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016. Following disabilities are approved:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disability with cerebral palsy, leprosy, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular distrophy
- Autism, intellectual disability, specified learning diability and mental illness
- Multiple disabilities
Facility of scribe will be provided to anyone with benchmark disabilityif there is limitation in writing, it will also be provided if people with locomotor disability desire.
In case of other diabilities the scribe facility will be provided when certificate is produced
CMAT 2021 Registration
CMAT 2021 Registration window was open from November 1 – December 10, 2019 in online mode. The steps to fill CMAT Application Form are given below:
- Visit the official website of CMAT.
- Create an account with a valid email address.
- Fill in the online application form and note down the system generated application number
- Upload scanned images of the candidate’s passport size photograph and signature
- Make payment of fee using Credit / Debit Card, Net Banking, UPI, PayTM, and keep proof of fee paid
- Print at least four printouts of confirmation page after successful remittance of fee
- Choose the city for giving CMAT 2021 examination
Application Fee for CMAT
|Category||Male (INR)||Female (INR)|
General/ Non-creamy layer OBC
|SC/ ST/ PWD||800||700|
Specifications of Scanned Documents
Students must follow document specification guidelines specifically and must provide a clear representation of their scanned documents when they upload their registration forms to avoid any discrepancies and errors.
|Passport Size Photograph||JPG/JPEG||Between 10kb-200kb|
|Signature||JPG/JPEG||Between 4 kb-30 kb|
CMAT 2020 Registration Statistics
Note: The list includes PwD Candidate
CMAT 2021 Admit Card
The admit card for the successfully registered candidates will be issued tentatively in the first week of January 2021. Students are advised to visit the official website of CMAT 2021 and click on the link for download admit card. Students will be intimated about the release of the admit card through email.
Candidates can view their name, date of birth, exam centre, photograph, and other personal details on the admit card. The admit card will be available for download on cmat.nta.nic.in using their Application Number and password or Date of Birth.
However, there is no provision for the delivery of admit card through post. Students are required to take a print out of the admit card and produce it during the examination along with an original photo identity proof issued by the Government.
- CMAT 2021 Admit Card has been issued on December 24, 2019.
- It is a mandatory document for appearing in the test.
- It contains details such as the candidate’s name, date of birth, exam center, photograph, etc.
- Candidates can download CMAT Admit Card from cmat.nta.nic.in using Application Number and password or DOB.
- In case of any discrepancy in CMAT Admit Card, contact CMAT helpdesk (7042399521/ 7042399525/ 7042399526 ) immediately.
Documents Required on Exam Day
It is mandatory to carry at least one original (not a photocopy/ scanned copy) and valid photo ID along with CMAT hall ticket on exam day. The following Photo IDs are accepted:
- Driver License
- PAN CArd
- Voter ID Card
- UID card or a notarized Affidavit with photo, signature, DOB and residential address (in English)
- PwD certificate (if applicable) which is authorized by a medical officer
CMAT 2021 Exam Centers
- CMAT 2021 will be conducted in 84 cities across India.
- Candidates have to choose 4 CMAT Exam Centers at the time of filling in the application form.
- The test cities will be allotted based on the availability of slots.
- It is to be noted that the exam conducting authority reserves the right to change or cancel the test time/date at their own discretion.
Given below are the exam cities for CMAT 2021:
|CMAT Test Cities|
|Ahmednagar||Chandigarh/ Mohali/ Panchkula||Guwahati||Kolhapur||Navi Mumbai||Trivandrum|
|Allahabad/ Prayagraj||Chennai||Gwalior||Kolkata||Greater Noida/ Noida||Udaipur|
|Bangalore||Delhi/ New Delhi||Jaipur||Mangalore||Rajkot||Guntur|
|Tirupati||Vijayawada||Bhilai/ Durg/ Bhilai Nagar||Anand||Gandhinagar||Kadi/ Mehsana|
Note: Candidates are NOT allowed to carry Instrument / Geometry / Pencil box, Handbag, Purse, Any kind of Paper / Stationery / Textual Material (printed or written material, Eatables (loose or packed) and Water, Mobile Phone / Ear Phone / Microphone / Pager, Calculator, Camera, Tape Recorder, any metallic item or electronic gadgets etc. in the examination room / hall.
CMAT 2021 Reservation Criteria
Although there is no centralized reservation policy for CMAT candidates, many of the business schools that accept CMAT scores follow the guidelines enumerated by the Government of India. Individuals who suffer from a disability that impairs more than 40% of their abilities can claim the Pwd (Person with Disabilities) status.
|Category||Reservation (in percentage)|
|Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy Layer)||27%|
|General / Open||50.5%|
|PwD||5% in each category|
Candidates with disabilities that require a scribe/reader/lab assistant during the CMAT 2021 exam may submit a request to their respective exam centre superintendent. The superintendent must be notified regarding the candidate’s requirement of scribe/reader and disability certificate issued under the candidate’s name.
CMAT vs MAT, CAT and XAT
CMAT 2021 vs MAT, CAT and XAT
|No. of Papers||1||1||1||1|
|No. of Questions||100||99||200||100|
|Duration||3 hours||3 hours||150 minutes||3 hours|
|No. of Sections||3||4||5||4|
|Level of Difficulty||High||Moderate||Moderate||Moderate|
Correct Answer: +3
|Correct Answer: +1|
Correct Answer: +1
|Correct Answer: +4|
Incorrect Answer: -1
|Incorrect Answer: -0.25||Incorrect Answer: -.25||Incorrect Answer: -1|
|No. of times the exam is conducted in a year||1||1||4||1|
CMAT Exam Pattern 2021
CMAT Exam Pattern 2021
- The exam will be conducted on a single day from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm
- The language of the exam is English only.
Comprehensive knowledge of the paper pattern is essential for the candidates to plan their preparation. Quick highlights of CMAT 2021 Exam Pattern are given below:
|Highlights of CMAT Exam Pattern|
|Mode of exam||Computer-Based (CBT)|
|Type of questions||Objective or MCQ|
|Number of sections||4 (Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, English and General Awareness)|
|Duration of exam||180 minutes|
|Number of questions||100; each section will have 25 questions|
|Total marks||400 marks|
|CMAT marking scheme|
+4 for each correct answer
-1 for each wrong answer
Sectional Exam Pattern of CMAT
|CMAT 2021 Exam Sections||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks Section-wise|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||25||100|
CMAT Syllabus 2021
There is no official CMAT Syllabus. However, based on the previous year papers, the most important topics for each section (Language Skills, Quantitative Skills, Logical Reasoning, and General Awareness) are given below:
The language comprehension section generally assesses a candidate’s verbal reasoning and reading comprehension by posing 25 MCQ questions on topics such as synonyms, antonyms, vocabulary, error correction, jumbled words, etc.
|Antonyms and Synonyms||Fill in the Blanks|
|Jumbled Paragraphs||Sentence Correction|
|Foreign Language Words used in English||English Usage Errors|
|Sentence Improvement||Odd one out|
|Idioms and Phrases||One word substitution|
|Different usage of the same word||Fact, Inference and Judgement|
|Paragraph Completion||Reading Comprehension|
General Awareness usually covers topics regarding current and static information about India and the world, current affairs, history, awards, politics and science etc.
|Current Affairs of National Economy||Business|
|Current Affairs of International Economy||Personalities in News|
|Major Corporate Events||Famous Awards and Prizes|
|World Records||Books and Authors|
|Important Quotations||Trade Awareness|
|Politics||Science in Everyday Life|
This section tests a candidate’s ability to solve various problems logically and utilize analytical reasoning to solve puzzles, arrangement questions, cause and effect situations, evaluate statements and assumptions etc.
|Critical Reasoning||Visual Reasoning|
|Seating Arrangement||Number Series|
|Sequencing||Symbol Based Problems|
|Clocks and Calendars||Analogy Test|
|Cause and Effect||Ranking Tests|
|Statements and Assumptions||Identifying Valid Inferences and Arguments|
|Statements and Conclusions||True and False|
|Matrix Arrangements||Non-Verbal Reasoning|
Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation
This portion of the exam tests the candidate’s numerical aptitude, mathematical ability and economic concepts. Data Interpretation includes an understanding of data that is presented through a variety of forms such as pie charts, graphs, etc and problem-solving based on the interpreted data. Short cuts are extremely useful in the section of the exam.
|Geometry and Trigonometry||Lines, Angles, Triangles etc.|
|Rations and Proportion||Percentages|
|Profit and Loss||Averages|
|Work and Time||Number System|
|HCF and LCM||Geometric Progression|
|Arithmetic Progression||Arithmetic Mean|
|Geometric Mean||Median, Mode and BODMAS|
|Mensuration||Allegation and Mixtures|
|Pipes and Cisterns||Simple Interest and Compound Interest|
|Set Theory||Venn Diagram|
|Permutations and Combinations||Binomial Expansion|
|Calendar||Maxima and Minima Progression|
CMAT 2021 Preparation Books
CMAT Test Practice Centers by NTA
NTA has provided candidates with an established network of Test Practice Centers in order to facilitate students get an idea of computer based examination. Candidates due to appear for CMAT 2021 can practice and train themselves before the actual examination with the help of TPCs.
Training officers will be present at the practice centers to guide the candidates. Along with this NTA TPC app is also available for candidates to choose their nearest practice center.
Steps to Register for TPCs
Step 1: Visit official website of NTA nta.ac.in and navigate to “Student Registration” for practoce center.
Step 2: Select one way to login: either Gmail or Facebook
Step 3: Enter Gmail username and password and click on particular gmail id to be used.
Step 4: Enter the following in order: personal information, contact information, academic information
Step 5: Mention exam information (CMAT)
Step 6: On the basis of currect geographical location of the candidate, select 5 preferred practice center venue.
Step 7: Schedule and timing selection has to be picked and confirm the details.
Step 8: Once done with the registration, a message will be delivered to the contact number. Approval of center is subject to availability.
CMAT 2021 Preparation Books
|Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||RS Agarwal|
|Accredited Guide to Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency||Anant Ashisha|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation Data Sufficiency||Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan|
|Logical Reasoning||A modern approach to logical reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT||Nishit Sinha|
|Language Comprehension||The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability||Sujit Kumar|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension?||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Updadhyay|
|CAT Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Gautam Puri|
|General Awareness||General Knowledge||Disha Experts|
|Face to Face MAT with 19 Years (1197-2016)||BS SIjwali|
CMAT Sample Papers 2021
Other than the books, practicing sample papers will help the candidate to ace the exam. They serve as an excellent aid in understanding the paper pattern and most frequently occurring topics. Candidates can predict the expected questions as well.
Students are advised to take regular mock tests and practice sample question papers. Regular mock tests help the students to assess their preparation level and also makes them aware of their strengths and weaknesses. There are many online portals which offer mock tests consisting of sample questions papers. Mock tests give the students a real-time feel of the actual examination environment. It helps the student to learn to better manage time during the actual examination. It also helps them to identify the areas which require more revision before the exams.
Candidates can download mock tests by using the following method:
- Visit the official portal of NTA or CMAT
- Click on the ‘Student Registration (Mock Tests) Link
- You can select a mode of Login (via Google / Facebook / Mobile No.)
- Select the exam for which you want to take the mock test.
- Enter the issued Username and Password.
- Start taking the mock tests.
Candidates can download the section-wise CMAT Sample Papers from the link given below to measure their preparation level and carve out their strong and weak areas.
Top CMAT Coaching Centers
Here is the city-wise life of coaching institutes for you:
|City||CMAT Coaching Center|
|Delhi||Endeavor Careers Pvt. Ltd|
|Brilliant Academy of Learning|
|Chennai||Triumphant Institute of Management Education Pvt. Ltd. (T.I.M.E.)|
|Kolkata||Erudite Educational Centre|
|Ahmedabad||Expert Educare Pvt. Ltd|
Top Colleges under CMAT
All AICTE approved Institutes / Departments / Constituent Colleges / Affiliated Colleges of Universities are expected to accept CMAT scores. The specific notifications issued by Universities and State Governments are available at CMAT website, i.e. https://cmat.nta.nic.in.
Given below are some of the top colleges accepting CMAT Score. Candidates clearing CMAT Cutoff and qualifying the pre-admission rounds will be called for the counselling process.
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS), Mumbai||SIES College of Management Studies|
|SIMSREE||Christ University, Bangalore|
|KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (KJSIMSR), Mumbai||Doon Business school, Dehradun|
|Goa Institute of Management, Goa||Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai|
Seat Intake for Top Colleges under CMAT
|Institute||CMAT 2021 Seat Intake|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS), Mumbai||18 (MMS)|
|KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (KJSIMSR), Mumbai|
|SIES College of Management Studies||120 (PGDM)|
|Goa Institute of Management, Goa||240 (PGDM)|
|Christ University, Bangalore||700 (MBA)|
|Doon Business school, Dehradun||240 (MBA)|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||120 (PGDM)|
Read More About CMAT 2021 Selection Process
CMAT 2021 Results
CMAT 2021 Results
- NTA has released CMAT 2020 Results on Feb 4, 2020 at cmat.nta.nic.in.
- The result is available in the form of scores.
- Enter the issued Log-in ID and Password to access the same.
- CMAT scorecard contains information about the total and sectional scores of the candidate.
- Along with CMAT 2020 Result, the examination board also released the Merit list which includes the All India Rank of the candidates and their scores.
- It contains names of the candidates shortlisted for further selection rounds.
- CMAT 2021 Results will be announced in the form of a percentile.
- The process for computing percentile score is mentioned below-
CMAT 2021 Answer Keys
- The NTA has released the final CMAT 2020 Answer Key on February 04, 2020. Check CMAT 2020 Answer Key
- Applicants who wished to challenge the answer keys were able to do so by filling an online application form and paying a processing charge of INR 1000 per question
- Processing charge fee can be paid by credit / debit card / net banking. Processing fee once paid, is non-refundable
- NTA’s decision on the objections made shall be final and no further communication will be entertained
CMAT 2021 Tie Breaker
If two or more candidates attain the same marks, then there is a tiebreaker criterion set in place to decide which candidate has a higher merit or rank and thus should be selected. If two or more candidates attain the same overall marks, then their sectional CMAT score will be utilised to ascertain the tiebreaker result. The tiebreaker criteria includes the following:
- Primarily the marks in the Quantiative Aptitude and Data Interpretation section will be compared. Candidate who has more marks in this section will be given preference.
- If the marks in this section are equal, then the candidate that scores more in the Logical Reasoning section will be preffered over the other candidate.
- If the marks in the Logical Reasonin section are equal, then the scores of the Language Comprehension section will be compared. Candidate with more marks in this section will be given preference.
- Lastly, if the candidates’ marks in the Language Comprehension section are also the same, then marks in the General Awareness section will be compared. Candidates with more marks in this section will be given preference.
CMAT 2021 Cutoff
CMAT 2020 Cutoff will be released course-wise and category-wise for each college. All CMAT Participating Colleges will be declaring their cutoff based on the merit list released by NTA. Candidates who will clear CMAT Cut Off and fulfill other eligibility criteria will be offered admissions in various management courses.
Candidates can now download their CMAT 2021 Scorecard as the merit list has been published and start applying for admission to individual colleges and participate in the selection procedure of that particular institute. Candidates are eligible to attend the selection process only if their score is higher than the CMAT 2021 Cut off set by the institutes.
CMAT 2021 Cutoff Score to Percentile Conversion
Candidates who wish to apply for the top 10 colleges should expect a cutoff of 99.5+ (291). The top 20 colleges will generally accept a 99+ percentile (282) for the their PDGM and MMS programs. The main difference between the two courses rests in their selection process. While those who apply for the MMS course attain admission directly through the cutoff, individuals who have applied for the PGDM course at any institute will have to go through the process of being shortlisted and participating in the GD/PI/WAT. Applicants who clear these cutoffs will be able to gain entry into the top 20 managment institutes in the country. A score of 300+ will be required for those wishing to get into institutes such as JBIMS, SIMSREE, SIES etc.
- A score of 250 will be sufficient to get a call for the subsequent selection process for PGDM courses in many institutes. To obtain such a score, the candidate must have on an average attained the following marks: 85 (Logical Reasoning), 62 (Language Comprehension), 60 (General Knowledge), 71 (Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation). Read Top B-Schools Accepting CMAT Scores in India
|Percentile||Score (Out of 400)|
Must Read News
- CMAT Cutoff for GLIM
- CMAT Cutoff for PUMBA
- CMAT Answer Key, Paper Analysis, & Question Paper with Solution
- CMAT Cutoff for JBIMS
- CMAT Cutoff for Goa Institute of Management
Expected CMAT 2021 Cutoff (Updated)
|College/University||Expected CMAT 2021 Cutoff||Average Placement Package (INR in Lakhs)||Highest Placement Package|
|Alliance School of Business, Bangalore||75||3-6||6|
|Christ University, Bangalore||75||6.85||13|
|Doon Business School, Dehradun||80||6||23.5|
|Galgotias Business School, Greater Noida||70||3.8||6|
|GIBS Business School, Bangalore||70||3.3||5.95|
|GITAM School of International Business||70||3.2||5|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||90||10.14||29|
|Goa Institute of Management, Goa||90||24.37||13.73|
|Institute of Financial Management and Research, Changabakkam||90||6-7||8.5|
|Department of Management Studies, NIT Durgapur||85||7||10|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS), Mumbai||99.99||18.91||30|
|KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (KJSIMSR), Mumbai||97||9.87||30|
|Pune University, Department of Management Studies (PUMBA DMS)||90||6,2||12|
|Acharya Bangalore Business School (ABBS), Bangalore||70||4||7.2|
|Calcutta Business School, Kolkata||70||4.20||6|
|EMPI Business School||65||5.45||9.15|
|Jaipuria Institute of Management|
|SIES College of Management Studies||99.80||7.14||18|
|WeSchool, Welingkar Institute||99.90||6||15|
CMAT 2020 Toppers
NTA released the final list of CMAT 2020 toppers alongside the answer key and result on February 4, 2020. This year, the NTA witnessed an increase in registrations as 74,486 applicants applied for the examination. Out of the total, 63,297 ended up clearing the exam, thus deeming it an overall sucess. Gopaljee Jha was proclaimed as the All India Rank topper after he scored a perfect 100 percentile, the only one out of the entire batch. Aside from him, seven candidates scored 99.99 percentile, a score that has provided them with a gateway to some of the country’s top management institutes. Check Top Colleges Accepting CMAT
|Topper||Total Marks out of 400||All India Rank (AIR)||Percentile|
|Kalisetty Udaya Sandhya Lakshmi Devi||338||6||99.99|
|Sadhwani Nikhil Harish||327||13||99.98|
|Bhandwale Abhijeet Sunderrao||327||14||99.98|
CMAT Previous Years Toppers’ Preparation Tips
Candidates that are planning to appear in CMAT 2021 can take into consideration the preparation strategy and tips offered by individuals who have previously excelled in CMAT. Give below is a list of advice and strategies offered by previous year toppers:
Kshitij Madan (CMAT 2019, AIR – 2): A graduate in Bachelor of Engineering (BE) from Ramdev College of Engineering, Kshitij Madan aims to get into a good B-School to further his career. He started preparing for the CAT exam early on, and thus simultaenously studied for CMAT. He mentioned that to achieve the work-life balance he required to study for CMAT, he left his full time job and instead joined a start up which gave him ample time to study. In the last stretch of his studies, he left his job to focus on studying full time.
Shubhandeep Basak (CMAT 2015): A gold medalist in Electrical Engineering, Shubhandeep Basak voices his interest ranging far and wide, from singing to travelling, Basak believes that an individual should focus on all round development. He appeared for many management entrance exams such as XAT, CAT, IIFT, SNAP, NMAT and MAH CET, aside from CMAT and reported utilizing the same preparation strategy for all of them:
- After completing a certain section, he would take section-wise mock test to figure out his weakenesses
- After working sufficiently on his mistakes, he took full length mock tests
- Instead of taking mock tests to ascertain his marks, he would take them to get comfortable with the test environment
- For preparation, he used material provided by T.I.M.E institute, as well as Quantum Cat by Sarvesh Sharma, MBA Entrance Examinations by Nishit Sinha, Six Weeks to Words of Power by Wilfred Funk, and and Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis.
- For GK, he mainly kept himself updated by reading several different newspapers. Guesswork isn’t useful in this section since the applicant either knows the answer or doesn’t.
His advice to prospective CMAT aspirants is as follows:
- Don’t give a lot of mock tests for the sake of completing mock tests. Make sure that whenever you complete a test, you fully analyze it. If the applicant is completing a full mock test, it is important to maintain concetration for the entire 3 hour stretch.
- Do not completely forget to prepare for CMAT due to other management exams
- Do not create a very time sensitive timetable, there should be space for flexibility. A subject should preferably be studied for 1-2 hours and not more than that. It is okay to mix subjects up.
Saras Suhane (CMAT 2018): A 100 percentiler and a JBIMS graduate, Saras Suhane made sure that he covered all bases when preparing for CMAT.
- He brushed up regularly on topical news and kept up to date with daily news
- Prepared his GK with school level books from 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th standard
- Focused on the basics in Logical Reasoning and become thorough
Bhargav Desai (CMAT 2019, AIR-3): Bhargav gave CMAT 2019 with the aim to pursue of Master of Management Studies (MMS) from SIMSREE and specialize in Operations and Supply Chain Management.
- He attempted General Knowlege first and then followed it with Quantitative, Reasoning and at last ended with the Language Comprehension and verbal section.
- He did not end up taking coaching separately for CMAT but instead prepped for it alongside CAT
- His advice to future CMAT candidates is that they should have a basic understanding of GK that is holistic i.e. it covers different areas like History, Economics and Georgraphy.
Amitrajit Chakrabarti (CMAT 2014, AIR-6): Due to his interest in the stock market and management, Amitrajit decided to choose management as a career option.
- He reported starting with the GK section first, then the language section, and finally ending his preparation with the QT & DI section.
- Many of the topics that are present in the GK section are learned in school and thus, one should revise school level GK he says
- Since Logical Reasoning is time consuming, it is better to attempt the sections that you are most comfortable with first and not get fixated when you work on the LR section
Gaurav Dave (CMAT 2014): With a 99.97 Percentile, Gaurav was sure to be one of the toppers of CMAT 2014. The advice that he gives to prospective candidates is the following:
- He believes that a candidate needs to complete around 8-12 mock tests with a 3-4 day interval before giving the exam.
- The mocks should be taken around a month before the final exam, so it should take somewhere around 30-35 days in total to complete these mocks
- He advices his own students to start preparing anytime between July 15 to August 15 for the next CMAT exam
CMAT 2021 Selection Process
CMAT Selection Process comprises Group discussion (GD) and then Personal Interview or Written Ability Test (WAT). Each college holds its selection rounds. The institutes declare the final list of selected candidates based on the scores in CMAT 2021, GD and Personal Interview or WAT. Brief about each round is given below:
- Group Discussion, the candidates are segregated into groups of 10 or so and they will be given an important topic to discuss for 5 to 10 minutes. There are various criteria based on which the candidates will receive points such as -
- Initiation Skill
- Negotiation Skills
- Managerial Skills
- Encouragement Skills
- Closure Skills
Topics can be diverse in nature and can be related to current affairs in the fields of politics, economics, sports, and socially active issues.
2. Writing Ability Test: The selection process in some colleges also has a WAT or a Writing Ability Test where candidates are asked to write an essay on a given topic. This is done to analyze candidate’s communication ability and analytical skills, vocabulary and grammar, awareness etc.
3. Personal Interview is usually the final round of selection. Candidates have to appear before a panel of experts/faculty members who try to assess the candidate based on their academic background and other details mentioned in their resume such as hobbies, interests, work experience, etc. The round is conducted to analyze the candidate’s personality, attitude, suitability to the institution etc.
CMAT Counselling 2021
Candidates who are finally selected will proceed towards to CMAT Counselling process. Candidates have to register themselves on the official website to participate in the counselling process. After successful registration, they have to give their preference for college and course. Steps involved in CMAT Counselling are:
- Online registration
- Choice filling and locking
- Verification of documents
- Allocation of seats
- Reporting to college
- A final merit list will be prepared after taking into consideration the candidate’s performance in Group Discussion, Personal Interview, and/or Written Ability Test rounds.
- Candidates who have been selected by the Institute for final admissions will be notified either through their call letters which may be sent to them via post or email, or a list may be declared on the website of the institute.
Frequently Asked Questions
CMAT 2021 FAQs
Ques. What are the programs offered through CMAT? What is the eligibility of each of those?
Ans. The following are the courses offered: You will be eligible for PGDM, MBA and similar, PGCM and Executive PGDM programs. Eligibility criteria for admission to these programs will be as per criteria laid down by individual University / Institution. However, the eligibility criteria for different Post Graduate Management Programme in AICTE affiliated institutions is as follows:
|MBA||2 years||Recognized bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years with at least 50% marks (45% for the candidates belonging to a reserved category).|
|PGCM||1 to 2 years||Recognized bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years.|
|Executive PGDM||15 months|
Ques. Is there any age limit criteria for appearing in CMAT 2021?
Ans. No, there is no age limit criteria for appearing in CMAT 2021.
Ques. What is the registration fee for CMAT 2021 and the modes of payment?
Ans. The registration fee for CMAT 2021 is as follows:
|Category||Male (INR)||Female (INR)|
General/ Non-creamy layer OBC
|SC/ ST/ PWD||800||700|
- Any candidate can make fee payment using Credit / Debit Card, Net Banking, UPI, PayTM, and keep proof of fee paid
Ques. Will I be able to use my coaching institute’s or a friend’s e-mail address while registering for CMAT?
Ans. No, you must have your own valid and unique e-mail address, which should have been active prior to registration.
Ques. Can I pay the application fee through bank demand draft, cheque or cash?
Ans. No, CMAT 2021 registration fee cannot be paid through bank demand draft or cheque. You are required to pay it either by an online mode like a credit card, debit card, and net banking or through paying a bank challan at any SBI bank branch. You can also pay it through PayTM but for any transaction you must remember to keep proof of the transaction.
Ques. How can I choose a test city?
Ans. You can select up to 4 choices of the cities at the time of online registration. Your choices in the specified order will be given due consideration and weightage. However, the actual allotment as per the order of your choice will be subject to availability of the slot in that particular city.
Ques. What details are provided on the CMAT 2021 admit card?
Ans. CMAT 2021 admit card contains your photograph, name, signature, CMAT Roll number, test date, test time, reporting time at the venue, venue name, venue address and brief instructions related to the exam.
Ques. Will I receive CMAT 2021 admit card in hard copy at my home address?
Ans. No. Apart from the CMAT 2021 admit card made available online on the website, it will be sent to your registered e-mail address. Therefore, it is mandatory for you to have a valid e-mail address provided and accessible throughout the selection process.
Ques. What are the details of the CMAT Customer Care Support?
Ans. CMAT Customer Care Support is available on phone and e-mail from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM. The helpline numbers are +91-8429996897, 9453827201 and 9453827203. The e-mail Id is email@example.com. Queries received by e-mail will be responded within two business days.
Ques. Can I change my preferred CMAT exam center after I have submitted my form?
Ans. No. You will not be able to make any changes to the submitted form.
Ques. Will I be able to cancel my application and apply for a refund of CMAT registration fee once after paying it?
Ans. The cancellation of application and refund of fee will not be allowed in any circumstance.
Ques. In case I do not appear in CMAT 2021 after registering, would I be eligible for the fee refund?
Ans. No. The refund of the CMAT 2021 fee will not be allowed in any circumstance.
Ques. What is the reporting time for the CMAT 2021?
Ans. You will be required to reach the allotted exam center two hours before the CMAT 2021 exam time. The CMAT 2021 will be tentatively held at 9:30 AM on January 20, 2021. You will be required to arrive at the test center on or before 8:00 AM on the same day for security checks, identity verification and check-in. Candidates will not be allowed to enter the examination hall post 8:30.
Ques. What documents should I bring at the test center on the CMAT 2021 exam day?
Ans. You need to bring a self-attested copy of the CMAT 2021 to admit card with recent passport size photo pasted on it, at least one original and valid (not expired) photo identification proof (to be matched with your name as entered in the CMAT application form).
The acceptable photo identification proof can be driving license, passport, PAN card, voter Id, Aadhaar card or a notarized affidavit (in English) with photo, signature, date of birth and residential address. Photocopies of the original are not acceptable.
Candidates will not be permitted to take the CMAT 2021 if photo identification is not presented. SC/ST/PD candidates are required to bring their valid category certificate in original and an attested photocopy. Attestation can be done by institute head also. PwD candidates are also required to bring a copy of their documents that are approved by a medical officer.
Ques. Should my name in CMAT application form match with the name appearing on the identification proof produced at the exam center?
Ans. Yes. In case of mismatch, the exam center authority holds the right to restrict you from appearing in the exam.
Ques. What are the permitted belongings at the CMAT 2021 exam center?
Ans. None. You will not be permitted to bring any personal items to the test center, including but not limited to wrist-watch, cell phone or calculators. Candidates are NOT allowed to carry Instrument / Geometry / Pencil box, Handbag, Purse, Any kind of Paper / Stationery / Textual Material (printed or written material, Eatables (loose or packed) and Water, Mobile Phone / Ear Phone / Microphone / Pager, Calculator, Camera, Tape Recorder, any metallic item or electronic gadgets etc. in the examination room / hall.
Ques. Will I be able to take any breaks during the CMAT 2021?
Ans. No, you will not be given any break during the CMAT exam.
Ques. In case I complete my exam before three hours, would I be able to leave early?
Ans. No. Even if you complete the exam before the scheduled end time, you will not be allowed to leave the exam hall.
Ques. Will I be getting rough papers for calculations during the online exam?
Ans. Yes, you will be given a computer and rough papers for calculations. Rough work cannot be done on any other paper or sheet. On completion of the test, you will have to hand over all the used rough paper to the administrator.
Ques. Will my CMAT 2021 scores be shared with me on the test day itself?
Ans. No, the actual results will be declared on February 2021.
Ques. Will I be able to make changes to my postal address after submitting the CMAT application form?
Ans. No, after submitting your application form, there is no way to change your information.
Ques. Who all are eligible to take the CMAT exam under the Physically Disabled (PD) category?
Ans. As per the “Persons with Disability Act, 1995”, candidate appearing for CMAT in India are qualified to be a Physically Disabled (PD) candidate, if he/she suffers from any of the listed disabilities to the extent of not less than 40% as certified by a medical authority - Visually Impaired, Physically Handicapped, Hearing Impairment or Dumb.
Ques. If I belong to the PD category, which all assistance devices can I bring at my CMAT exam center?
Ans. Following are the approved assistance devices that you may select in the application form and bring to the exam center:
- Abacus (without a calculator) for visually impaired candidates
- Hearing Aid for candidates with hearing impairment
- Wheel Chair for candidates with Locomotor Disability/ Cerebral Palsy
- Screen/Font Magnification for the Visually Impaired
- Scribe/Reader for those that are Visually Impaired/Cerebral Palsy
Ques. I belong to the PD category for low vision/blindness/cerebral palsy. What unique accommodation would be provided to me on the test day?
Ans. Visually impaired and cerebral palsy candidates will be allowed to bring a scribe or reader as per the scribe norms mentioned on the CMAT official website. NTA can also provide scribe facility if you would opt for it. You will be able to interact with the scribe a day before the examination. After meeting with the identified scribe, you will be required to submit an undertaking. You will also be provided with a time extension of one hour for the computer-based test.
Ques. How much will more time be given to the visually impaired or cerebral palsy candidates in CMAT 2021?
Ans. Visually impaired or cerebral palsy candidates will be given a time extension of twenty minutes for every hour of the test. So for three hours’ test, you will get a total of extra one hour.
Ques. What is the CMAT 2021 eligibility criteria for a scribe or reader?
Ans. The scribe must:
- Not be your family member or friend.
- Is not involved in any academic tutoring or preparation for the test to be administered.
- Has not completed 19 years of age as of January 20, 2021.
- Has an academic qualification lower than that of the candidate.
*Note that the age certificate of the scribe has to be presented at the test center.
Ques. Which do all universities or institutes consider CMAT scores for admissions?
Ans. All AICTE approved institutes, departments, constituent colleges, and affiliated colleges of universities are expected to accept CMAT scores. The specific notifications issued by universities and state governments are available at the CMAT official website - nta.ac.in/Management exam.
Ques. I have completed an undergraduate degree course in part-time or distance learning mode. Am I eligible to apply for the CMAT 2021 exam?
Ans. Yes, as long as the respective statutory bodies approve it.
Ques. Will CMAT 2021 score be considered for admissions to a part-time MBA course?
Ans. CMAT score will be considered for admissions to all the AICTE approved part-time MBA programs.
Ques. Is there any sectional cut-off in the CMAT 2021 examination?
Ans. No. There is no sectional cut-off in the CMAT 2021 exam.
Ques. For how many years is CMAT score valid?
Ans. CMAT 2021 exam scores will be valid for the admissions to the academic year 2021-22 only.
Ques. How are candidates assessed in CMAT?
Ans. CMAT assesses the appearing candidates based on their attitude towards the management education and ranks them in the order of their merit. The objective of the test is not to eliminate the candidates from the process of seeking admission in the AICTE approved management programs, but to facilitate the institutions for selection of suitable candidates as per their merit. The colleges, based on their merit list can decide if the candidate of a certain rank is eligible for admission.
Ques. I have made some mistakes in my details while registering for CMAT 2021. Will I be able to rectify it?
Ans. You may select the ‘Existing User Login’ on the CMAT website to make changes to your details, such as an address, educational information or exam city preferences. For security reasons, editing of candidate’s full name, date of birth, e-mail Id, mobile number, state and country will not be allowed. However, if you have genuinely made a mistake in entering your date of birth or state, will have to show any evidence of the correct data at the time of examination/interview/admission. Else your candidature will be nullified.
If you have made a mistake in filling out details for the fields which will affect the selection process (such as percentage of marks, category, gender and work experience), then you are advised to re-register with a new e-mail Id. Your CMAT 2021 application will be considered for the latest registration and admit card will be issued for the same. Note: You will not receive a refund or admit card for your earlier registration. Failure to re-register in such circumstances may lead to the nullification of your candidature.
Ques. Is there any detailed syllabus for the preparation of CMAT 2021?
Ans. No. The CMAT exam does not have a defined syllabus for the preparation. However, you can attempt the mock test to understand the pattern of exam and types of questions. You should also check the CMAT website regularly for the announcement of mock test.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College