CMAT 2021 Preparation should start well in advance to cover vast syllabus in designated time with a sound plan. Being thoroughly prepared and knowing sectional preparation strategies is a direct route to success. Experts advice that a good 6 months preparation is required to ace CMAT. Aspirants are expected to be well versed with CMAT Exam Pattern to avoid any last-minute chaos.
CMAT 2021 Syllabus comprises of Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension and Verbal Ability, General Awareness. CMAT Question paper comprises of 100 Multiple type questions to be solved in 3 hours. The exam will tentatively be conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) in last week of January 2021 Check Detailed CMAT Syllabus
Before devising a preparation strategy keep the following questions in mind:
- When to start CMAT preparation and what mode to choose?
- What are recommended books for preparation-is it available with you?
- Are there any other resources needed to prepare apart from books?
- Strategy to prepare online for the exam
We recommend that you devote this time to learning foundational concepts and practicing as many CMAT sample papers to have an efficient preparation strategy.
Must Read News
CMAT Last Minute Tips: Dos and Donts
- Do not be clueless about what the good number of attempts is. If you answer 70 questions with 80 percent accuracy, it should suffice.
- Try to solve fewer questions correctly rather than attempting too many and losing marks to negative.
- Do not let the GK section in CMAT exam stress you out. Candidates who have not prepared before will find CMAT GK Harder to crack than avid readers.
- Do solve CMAT Previous year Mock Tests. CMAT Practice papers are the ultimate litmus test that reflects the level of preparation.
- Do not keep any target score before appearing for CMAT Exam. This reason being, in CMAT your rank matters and not the total score.
- Many candidates deprive themselves of sleep at the last moment or day before CMAT Exam. Not only does this add to your stress but also spikes the chances of forgetting what has already been learnt.
- If the initial impression of the paper is that many questions are harder than expected, not lose confidence. Remeber, CMAT 2021 is a 3 hour long exam and you have plenty of time to make.
- Avoid attempting too many questions form CMAT Language Comprehension. Too many Questions from critical reasoning should also be avoided.
CMAT Last Minute Preparation Tips
- Work on Speed and Accuracy - In the few days approaching CMAT, it is extremely important to work on speed and improve the accuracy of answers. This can be done by attempting several mock tests, sample papers, and previous years’ CMAT Question Papers. Work on improving the questions that are too time-consuming for you as well as the questions where you make a lot of mistakes.
- Revise - Now is the time for revision and making sure you are aware of how to solve each question.
- Do Not Pick Up New Topics - It is not recommended to pick up new topics too close to the exam as it will worsen your preparation. Stick to the topics that you have completed and are confident about.
- Hone your basics - Make sure that all the basics for the CMAT paper are clear. Go through the tables, formulas, grammar basics (Tenses, Prepositions, Punctuation), Word lists, Shortcuts, and other notes you have made throughout the preparation.
How to Prepare for CMAT 2021?
Devising a preparation strategy can be a tricky task. Here is some assistance for candidates stepwise:
Step 1: Know CMAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus
No considerable change was observed in CMAT exam pattern when NTA took over CMAT from AICTE. The exam is conducted in two shifts now on a particular day.
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Number of Sections||4|
|Questions in Each Section||25|
|Type of Question||MCQ|
|Marking Pattern|| |
+4 for correct answer
-1 for wrong answer
CMAT Syllabus is defined by NTA in the official brochure. It is to notice that questions are not repeated in the exam. 4 sections comprise syllabus: Quantitative Techniques which includes aspects of Mathematics with emphasis on airthmetic and data interpretation, English Language and Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and General awareness.
- Start with section that seem tough to you
- Complete a section and then try to move on to a new one
- Do not confuse yourself by preparing multiple topics at the same time
Syllabus is further divided into sub sections to pin down important topics. Thus the scope of CMAT syllabus is quite wise likeother management entrance exams. Thre cannot be a strong preparation without getting fully acquainted with CMAT syllabus.
Step 2: Practice Through Sample Papers/ Mock Test
When thorough with CMAT exam pattern move on to solving sample papers. National Testing Agency too releases an official mock test on the website, do practice it to get a hold of how the question paper will look like on exam day.
- Do not jump on solving mock test as it can be demotivating, complete CMAT Syllabus and then move onto sample papers.
- Analyse your performance after each mock test to know weak and strong points.
- Try to increase speed and accuracy with every mock test
- Try to solve sectional mock tets and variety of questions from varied sources
Step 3: Thorough Revision
In the last few days prior to the exam revision should be the focus. devote more time on topics that seem to be weak. Do not start a new chapter or topic on the last day instead focus on topics already covered. Relax a day prior to the exam and give time to rejuvenate. Avoid revising on the exam day.
Revision is the key to ace the exam as extent of syllabus can be confusing. Try to revise section wise-prepare notes for revision especially for basic concepts, tricks and tips that suit you, theorems and formulas.
Section Wise Preparation Tips for CMAT 2021
Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation
- This section has 25 questions, each of 4 marks. Remember that negative marking of -1 is applicable, and therefore attempt accordingly.
- Memorize the basic to calculate after in the exam hall such as tables up to 50, square roots and cubes till 25.
- The only way to ace this section is more and more practice. Solve mock tests, previous year questionnaire at least thrice a week when the exam is near. Remember, this is calculation based section.
- While solving mock tests, do not take more than the stipulated time in the exam. Also, try to score the minimum required cutoff score for his section.
- The main objective of this section is to test your mathematical skills in various areas such as arithmetic, algebra and geometry (cover all the sub-topics).
- Identify your weak zones through mock tests. Constant practice will enhance one’s accuracy and speed.
- Instead of a step by step calculation in all the questions, certain short cut tricks for calculation can save a lot of time. These tricks can be found in videos online as well as preparation books.
- Don’t get stuck up at one question. Remember, all questions carry equal marks, so it is advisable to move on to the next question.
- The objective of the data interpretation section is the ability to interpret data which is presented in tables, graphs and charts. It involves analysis or decision-making based on the numerical data.
- The main objective of this section is to test the aspirant’s logical ability.
- While practising this kind of problems, candidates should try to solve different types of problems with varying difficulty levels.
- The logical reasoning for CMAT covers statement and argument, blood relation, statement and conclusion, coding and decoding, statement and assumptions, number series and analogies. Practice a few topics every day and you will be ready to handle the same in the exam.
- The language comprehension for CMAT covers various types of questions such as para jumbles, reading comprehension, sentence completion, idioms and phrases, one-word substitution and synonym and antonym.
- One should start reading newspapers, articles and other forms of reading material everyday to enhance one’s vocabulary and grammatical abilities.
- Reading on the computer will be beneficial in improving one’s reading and comprehending speed for the online exam.
- Be updated with the recent government schemes in the areas of the economy, environmental issues, news related to finance, sports, politics, social issues, major corporate events, famous awards, world records and international news.
- Focus on the famous and trending topics because most questions are asked from recent news or updates.
- Don’t pile on the preparation for the general awareness section for the last. Watch news videos and read newspaper everyday to avoid the last minute stress.
CMAT Preparation Books 2021
Books are the most important aspect of exam preparation. Some of the books that candidates may refer to for the preparation of CMAT 2021 exam are given below. The students and experts most recommend these.
|Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||RS Agarwal|
|Accredited Guide to Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation Data Sufficiency||Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan|
|Logical Reasoning||A modern approach to logical reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit Sinha|
|Language Comprehension||The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability||Sujit Kumar|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension?||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Gautam Puri|
|General Awareness||General Knowledge||Disha Experts|
|Face To Face MAT With 19 Years (1997-2016)||BS Sijwali|
CMAT 2021 Practice Papers/ Mock Test Resources
There are many resources available for prospective candidates who wish to give CMAT 2021. Test takers can access a variety of practice test booklets and manuals available on the internet. The following table includes a curated list of the resoures that are bound to be highly advantageous to candidates during their CMAT preparation. Exam guides can be utilized by applicants who are just laying the groundwork, while the practice sets and solved papers will provide aid to those who are in the revision stage.
|3 Edge Advantage Series: CMAT Practice Sets||Ayush Gupta, Diwakar Sharma, Ashwani, R.K. Behl|
|Complete Reference Manual for CMAT||S.K. Sinha, S.Satyanarayan, Col. J.S. Rana|
|MBA Solved Papers (All Management Exams)||Gautam Puri|
|CMAT Exam Guide 2016||RPH Editorial Board|
|CMAT Entrance Guide that contains 5 mock tests||Disha Experts|
|Study Package for CMAT||Arun Sharma, Meenakshi Upadhyay|
Best Resources for Current Affairs Preparation for CMAT 2021
NTA has not set a syllabus for current affairs or general knowledge. For many candidates, this is a reason for discontentment and confusion since they have no idea what they have to study from because the the contents of the syllabus are so vast. General Awareness questions are divided into two main subsects: Static GK and Current GK.
- Current GK includes questions that are based on economic and fiscal policies, country wise denominations, new scientific endeavours and world politics. On the other hand, Static GK mainly focuses on arts, culture and historical events.
- The following table delineates the resources that candidates can utilise to prepare their study material for the current affairs and general knowledge portion of CMAT 2021:
|The Hindu||Financial Express||Economic Times|
|The Financial Times||Wall Street Journal||Hindu Business Line|
|Business Today||Business World||Manorama Year Book|
|Competition Success Review||Arihant GK||Lucent’s GK|
- A vital topic in general awareness is History. To prepare for history, candidates can use Manorama Year Book, Lucent’s GK and their 6th , 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th standard books.
- For economic insight, the financial times, financial express, economic times, hindu business line, business world and business world are great resources.
- Candidates can brush up on their current affairs by studying Competition Success Review, Arihant GK, Wall Street Journal and by being subscribed to google updates.
- Many editorials, news pieces and interviews of eminent personalities are published in newspapers such as The Hindu, Indian Express, Hindustan Times and Times of India.
Online Preparation for CMAT 2021
There are times when candidates are stuck while preparing in solving or getting through a question. In this tech savy generation, candidates can join online study groups. They are helpful in interacting with other candidates and experts and take their advice. They can act in a way doubt solving groups. It is advised to discuss topics, tricks. You can even create a Whatsapp group for this purpose with your friends.
Online preparation for CMAT 2021 can also be done by downloading MBA exam preparation apps. There are youtube vidoes available along with plenty of preparation content via blogs,videos, sample questions, analysis experts. Android users can access Google playstore to download CMAT Preparation apps.
In case you area working professional or even a student not able to spare time for regular class coaching and need guidance-online coachings can be a rescue. They cost less than regular coachings and can be scheduled in accordance with your time table.
Recommended Books for CMAT 2021
CMAT Preparation Books for Language Comprehension
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning||Nishit K Sinha|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||RS Aggarwal|
|Trishna’s Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for MBA Exams||TIME|
|High School English Grammar and Composition||Wren and Martin|
CMAT Preparation Books for Quantitative Techniques and DI
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma (Mc GrawHill)|
|Quantam for Admissiom into IIMs||-|
|Quants study module||TIME, Career Launcher and IMS|
CMAT Preparation Books for Logical Reasoning
|How to Prepare Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
CMAT 2021 Preparation Strategy to score 95+ percentile
If a candidate attempts 50 questions with accuracy, the score can easily fetch a percentile of 96-98. Thus, preparation for CMAT 2021 does not require to study round the clock, instead one needs to study smartly and with intelligent approach to crack the questions correctly in minimum time to achieve high score.
CMAT aspirants need to prepare for CMAT thoroughly for 3-4 months considering the difficulty level of the paper and the surprise elements. As per expert opinions, the best way to prepare for CMAT 2021 exam is to know your strengths and weaknesses and start working on them now. Use all the available resources like recommended books for CMAT, online CMAT study material provided or the offline CMAT practice test papers or CMAT Test Series.
How to start CMAT 2021 Preparation at Home?
- Plan Your Study: This is the first step to their preparation. Every candidate must plan and allocate their time to studies and stick to the plan. Allot the time according to the difficulty level of the sections and time taken by it. Candidates must make sure that every section is covered. All the hours and days before the exam must be organized according to syllabus.
- Solve Mock Tests: Usually, an official trial test is released on the official website. If there is not one available, a candidate must solve as many as mock tests as possible. These tests will help the candidate familiarize with their weak as well as strong points. One must start with weekly or bi-weekly tests and then go ahead with daily tests and manage time accordingly with each section.
- Distributive Learning: The candidates must try and cover more than one subject in one day. Studying one subject for too long will make excessive studying redundant. Learning two subjects turn by turn will keep the mind absorbed and bring variety to the studying schedule.
- Revise Regularly: Gradual and regular revision makes the candidates familiar with the types of questions and CMAT exam pattern. It helps the candidates to get disciplined about their preparation strategy. Regular revision will increase accuracy and thus will lead to a boost in confidence.
- Make Basics your Strength: There are always some basic questions from all the sections that are present in the question paper almost every year. The nature of these questions are same. Candidates must practice these questions as much as possible. It helps in solving the predicted questions in the minimum time possible during the examination.
- Practice last year question papers: To get an exact idea about the exam and get familiar with the pattern, candidates must practice last year’s question papers. This will avoid last minute anxiety.
- Take Regular Breaks: The candidates must go for shorter studying sessions rather than study marathons. During the preparation for CMAT 2021, candidates must keep in mind that studying for long intervals will make their brain tiresome. Candidates must take short but regular breaks so that the mind stays fresh.
- Set a Finishing Date: Candidate must set a deadline for the completion of the whole syllabus and plan the whole preparation process accordingly. A deadline needs to be set for every section so that that candidates can finish learning new topics and concentrate on revising them. More importantly, this date must be strict as well as feasible. Goals that are not feasible must not be set. After this, he/she can start giving mocks and solving test papers.
CMAT Previous Year Exam Analysis
CMAT 2019 took place on January 28, 2019 and was conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency). It was noted to be easier than CMAT 2018, especially in terms of the Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Techniques section. Most candidates attempted above 75% of the paper within an average time duration of 130 minutes
Quantitative Technique and Data Interpretation
- QA and DI had approximately 9 questions that were on a moderate level of difficulty, 2 questions that were difficult, and the remaining were termed as easy.
- There were mostly Geometry and Arithmetic questions, while the rest of the questions were more or less evenly distributed among the other topics
- Most candidates attempted 23-25 questions
|Section||Topics||No. of Questions|
|Algebra||Functions, Linear Equations||2||1||2||4|
|Arithmetic||Time-Speed-Distance, Time-Work, Clocks, Averages||4||2||0||6|
|Data Interpretation||Pie-Chart, Table||2||0||0||2|
|Geometry||Mensuration, Triangles, Trignometry||1||4||2||7|
|Miscellaneous||Six sigma, Numbers||2||0||0||2|
|Modern Math||Probability, Permutation, Combination||2||2||0||4\|
- Most of the questions were in the easy-moderate range
- There were no questions based on complicated data sets
- Most candidates attempted above 20 questions
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|Counting No. of Squares in the given figure||1|
|Verbal Reasoning – Word Relationship, Statement Argument, Statement Conclusion, Assertion Reason||4|
|Odd one out||3|
- Contained 15 RC Questions and 10 Non RC Question
- There were a total of 4 passages that had 15 questions
- The 3 short passages had 3 questions each
- Slightly long passage had 6 questions
- Most of questions ranged from easy-medium
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|4 RC Passages||15|
|Part with error||1|
|Synonyms / Antonyms||2|
|Meaning of a phrase||1|
|Meaning of underlined word||1|
|Grammatically correct sentence||1|
- A majority of the questions were based on Static GK
- Around 1/3 of the questions included topics that centered on current affairs and general news
- Most candidates attempted 13-17 questions with an average 80% accuracy rate
Past Years’ Analysis
|Year||Section||Level of Difficulty|
|2018||Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Easy-Moderate|
|2017||Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Easy-Moderate|
|2016||Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Moderate-Difficult|
|2015||Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||Moderate|
CMAT Topper Tips
- Prefer only latest edition of CMAT preparation books
- Focus on weak areas and improvise by solving more and more practice papers
- Do not neglect books by Arun Sharma and Nishit K Sinha they are holistic in nature
- If opting for coaching for preparation do go through material recommended by them
- regularly read newspapers and magazines make it a daily habit to improve vocabulary
- Do not spend unnecessary time on topics that seem difficult and you are stuck on
“Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources”, says Charanjeet Sharma
Charanjeet Sharma scored 82 percentile in CMAT. He says give quality time for practice and revise on a regular basis. He says, besides studies, interpersonal skills and creative mind helps you to get succeed. Practice as much as you can, says Charanjeet. He said that the experience in the interviews was very good. When asked about interviews, he also stated that not only studies matters, a candidate must have interpersonal skills and creative mind. He followed only the books provided by the Time Institute. Rest, he studied NCERT books of class 8th and 10th. Charanjeet also advised the aspirants to solve more and more mock tests, focus on your speed and put more efforts in verbal and GK sections to score better.
Vishar Gor Says, “Practice makes a man perfect”
Vishal Gor appeared for CMAT and cleared it with 124 marks. When asked about his key to success he said, one must prepare regularly for something. He focused on Reasoning and verbal more. He also kept himself updates with novels and newspapers daily and spared at least 3 hours a day for CMAT preparation. He appeared in almost 4 group discussion rounds and 3 personal interviews actively. He says, don’t take too much stress be free and enjoy the preparation and try to work more and more in study groups.
CMAT 2021 Last-Minute Preparation Tips
Thorough preparation, a calm head and time management will turn out to be the key on the Exam Day of CMAT 2021. For the last few days heading to the Exam Date, aspirants should focus on strengthening their skills by focusing on topics that they are most comfortable with, shortcut trics for the QA section and not starting up with fresh new topics that haven't been touched yet.
Here is a list of some useful insights for the last few days to the D-Day:
- Concentrate on Accuracy and Time-management
- Rely on your set defined strategy
- Brush up topics from self-made notes
- Revise shortcut methods for complex calculations
- Attempt Practice Papers and other Mock Tests
- Read the Guidelines thoroughly before starting your Paper
- Eat and rest well for the last few days
CMAT 2021 Preparation Tips FAQs
Ques. How do I prepare for Language Comprehension in CMAT?
Ans. The language comprehension part for CMAT covers various types of questions such as parajumbles, reading comprehension, sentence completion, idioms and phrases, one word substitution and synonym and antonym.
One should start reading newspapers, articles and other forms of reading material everyday to enhance one’s vocabulary and grammatical abilities. Reading on a computer screen will be helpful because it will familiarize the candidate with the test format and thus in turn increase their rate of comprehension.
Check Language Comprehension Preparation Material
Ques. How do I prepare for General Awareness in CMAT?
Ans. Candidates need to be aware of all the novel schemes that are run by the Indian government and major statutory bodies in the spheres of economy, environmental degradation, financial sector, sports news, political events, social events, famous awards and their beneficiaries, and major international news.
It is important to not just stick to one source of information i.e. books, journals, magazines. Candidates should prepare for general knowledge from a holistic perspective and watch videos, movies, read the newspaper aside from just focusing on the textual material.
Check Current Affairs Preparation Material
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in QA/DI to get a good score in CMAT 2021?
Ans. Based on an analysis of CMAT 2019, most of the questions in the exam arose from the geometry and arithmetic section. The overall difficulty level of the section was termed as ‘moderate’. Most of the candidates ended up attempting 23-25 questions in CMAT 2019.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in Language Comprehension to get a good score in CMAT 2021?
Ans. Based on an analysis of CMAT 2019 Language Comprehension results, most of the questions were in the easy-moderate range. Majority of the candidates answered all of the RC questions and more than half of the non-rc ones.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in General Awareness to get a good score in CMAT 2021?
Ans. Out of current GK and static Gk, most of the questions that appeared in CMAT are from Static GK. Around one-third of the questions posed centered around current affairs and general news. A majority of the candidates attempted 13-17 questions and achieved an average 80% accuracy rate.
Ques. How many questions should I attempt in Logical Reasoning to get a good score in CMAT 2021?
Ans. Most of the logical reasoning questions in CMAT are rated in the ‘easy-moderate’ range by candidates because there were no questions on data sets that were overly complex or complicated. Majority of the questions were from coding-decoding, blood relations, and verbal reasoning i.e. word relationship, statement argument, statement conclusion, and assertion reason. Maximum candidates responded to more than 20 questions.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.