NTA conducts CMAT that provides an opportunity to thousands of aspirants to apply for more than 1000 AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) approved institutes. Candidates can apply to suitable AICTE enlisted institutes based upon their CMAT ranks.
Until 2018, CMAT was conducted by AICTE itself as per the guidelines laid down by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. NTA was assigned the responsibility to conduct this CMAT since 2018, a three-hour exam consisting of Quantitative Technique, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension and General Awareness. The examination is a depiction of the capabilities of a candidate and is their gateway for their eligibility towards 1000+ AICTE recognized Institutions/University Departments/Constituent Colleges or Affiliated Colleges.
CMAT 2021 Exam Dates
|CMAT 2021 Exam Details||CMAT 2021 Dates(Tentative)|
|CMAT Registration Start Date||First week of November 2020|
|Last date to apply for CMAT 2021 Exam Registration||Last week of November,2020|
|Start date to download CMAT 2021 Admit Card||Fourth week of December, 2020|
|Last date to download CMAT 2021 Admit Card||Fourth week of January, 2021|
|Date of CMAT 2021 Exam||Fourth week of January,2021|
|Declaration of CMAT 2021 Result||First week of February, 2021|
CMAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria
For a candidate to be eligible for CMAT 2021 s/he should-
Be a resident of India.
Should have accomplished a bachelor degree with a minimum duration of three years from an AICTE authorized institute/University.
Aspirants in their final year of graduation are also eligible to apply for CMAT 2021, provided that their graduation is completed before the commencement of 2021-22 academic session.
There is no upper age bar for CMAT.
CMAT 2020 Important Highlights
CMAT 2020 was successfully conducted on 28 January 2020.
A total of 63,297 aspirants appeared for the decorated exam.
In all, 245 exam centers were available across the country for the candidates to choose from.
An amazing outline of the exam was that only one candidate could score a 100 percentile while 7 candidates scored an aggregate of 99.99 percentile.
Overall topper was Gopaljee Jha with 347 marks in CMAT 2020, among female candidates, Kalisetty Udaya Sandhya Lakshmi Devi secured the highest rank of 6th with 338 marks.
CMAT 2020 merit list has been uploaded on the official website and candidates can also view their individual scorecards.
The list acknowledging the toppers of CMAT 2020 was released on 4th February, 2020.
CMAT Toppers 2020
|S. No.||Toppers Name||Marks Secured||Overall Percentile|
|6||Kalisetty Udaya Sandhya Lakshmi Devi||338||99.9936806|
|13||Sadhwani Nikhil Harish||327||99.9826216|
|14||Bhandwale Abhijeet Sundarrao||327||99.9826216|
For the comprehensive merit list of CMAT 2020, Click Here
Among the 63,297 candidates who appeared for CMAT-2020, the gender and categorical distribution of these candidates has been mentioned in the table below:
Crucial Changes in CMAT 2020
- Unlike previous editions of double shifts, CMAT 2020 was conducted as a single shift examination.
- An increment to 245 exam centres among 104 cities.
- Engagement of female candidates was fairly high as compared to 2019.
- A total of 74486 candidates applied for the exam, out of which 63297 attempted it.
Moderations in Question Paper
- Decrement in the quantity of Reading Comprehension passages with only one passage followed by 6 questions.
- Increment in Verbal Reasoning questions to 19 from 10 compared to last year.
- The number of DI Questions were raised to 4 instead of 1 in the previous exam.
- 4 LR questions based on Blood relations.
CMAT 2020 Question Paper Analysis
- The question paper consisted of a total of 100 questions.
- All the questions are Multiple Choice based.
- The question paper was divided into four sections of Quantitative Technique, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension and General Awareness with each section consisting of 25 questions each.
- CMAT 2020 was a three hour examination commencing from 9:30 a.m. and concluding at 12:30 p.m.
- Each question was assigned 4 marks and the total maximum marks was 400.
- Negative marking prevails in this examination with 1 mark deducted for every wrong answer while there’s no negative marking for a question left unattempted.
Know CMAT 2020 Toppers
Sheer will, dedication and hard work combined with well-structured study ethics always lead to fruitful results. Shedding light upon their approach towards CMAT 2020 and their experience in preparing for the elite exam, here are few testimonials from the toppers of CMAT 2020.
Scoring a 99.97 percentile in CMAT 2020, Narayan Sharma works as an accountant in the Controller General of Accounts, Government of India. Holding a Bachelorette in ECE from Lovely Professional University, Punjab. The sectional division of Narayan’s aggregate of 322 marks is as follows:
Books recommended by him for preparation of CMAT 2021
- For Quantitative Aptitude: Emphasize on basics, with reference books like RS Agarwal and NCERT books till class 10.
- For Logical Reasoning, practicing previous year papers is sufficient.
- For Language comprehension, Wren & Martins book for grammar and follow a reading habit of newspapers & novels. Also attempt mock tests and papers regularly.
- For General Awareness, go for Lucent approach banking examinations sites for current affairs.
Targeted Colleges and Other Attempted Examinations
- The main objective of Narayan’s attempt in this examination was to target Mumbai-based Business institutes like Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies and Sydenham College of Commerce & Economics.
- Apart from CMAT 2020, Narayan Sharma attempted CAT 2020 examination too and excelled with flying colours, scoring a percentile of 99.12%.
Personal Experience and Suggestions for CMAT Aspirants
- There’s no shortage of time when it comes to attempting CMAT and what you should really be focusing upon is accuracy while attempting questions. Cross-check your answers in the surplus time to avoid any silly errors.
- There’s no necessity to join any coaching institute for CMAT preparation as the exam is primarily focused upon basic aptitude which can be worked upon with consistency in practice and attempting mock tests.
With a soaring high percentile of 99.65, is an Engineer with keen interest in financial markets that motivated him to go for an MBA to methodically pursue a career in this discipline and aims to become an Equity Research Analyst. The percentile scored by Krutharth in each section of CMAT 2020 is as follows:
- Krutharth opted for Elites Grid, which is a training academy for competitive examinations like CAT. He suggests that their lectures were very beneficial in helping him score better in CMAT 2020.
Targeted Colleges and Other Attempted Examinations
Krutharth’s primary aim was to go for Sydenham Institute of Management Studies, Research and Entrepreneurship Education and Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies in Mumbai but will have to settle for either National Institute of Bank Management Pune, Goa Institute of Management or K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research Mumbai.
Apart from CMAT, Krutharth attempted various other competitive exams like:
CAT (Common Aptitude Test):88.06
XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test): 90
SNAP (Symbiosis National Aptitude Test): 96.5
XGMT (Xavier General Management Aptitude Test): 98
Personal Experience and Suggestions for CMAT Aspirants
Reading the newspaper on a regular basis does prove vital while attempting the General Awareness section and Norman Lewis can be of great help for improving your vocabulary.
Since I was preparing for CAT simultaneously, I didn’t have to put in any extra efforts for CMAT because their basic structure is similar.
GA sections can be a bit time consuming, while other sections are pretty basic so time can be covered up among them. Aim for higher goals and trust yourself to achieve them.
CMAT 2020 Cut Off
Enlisted below are some of the top institutes that accept CMAT scores along with their cut-off percentile for 2020:
|Name of the Institute||Cut off|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS) Mumbai||99.99 percentile (Minimum 335)|
|Goa Institute of Management, Goa||99.8 percentile (Minimum 302)|
|K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (KJSIMSR), Mumbai||99.20 percentile|
|We School Mumbai||99.06 percentile|
|Pune University Department of Management Sciences (PUMBA DMS)||96.42 percentile (Minimum 262)|
|XISS Ranchi||95 percentile (Minimum 255)|
|MET Institute of Management, Mumbai||97.27 percentile|
|Acharya Bangalore Business School (ABBS), Bangalore||90 percentile (Minimum 234)|
|Asia Pacific Institute of Management, New Delhi||85 percentile|
|Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida||82 percentile|
|IFIM Business School, Bangalore||85 Percentile|
|Prin. LN Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Mumbai||85 percentile|
|Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi||75 percentile|
|Dr. D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||75 percentile|
|Prin. LN Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Bangalore||85 percentile|
CMAT 2021 Preparation Strategy and Tips
- Aim High: Keep your priorities rigid and aim for the top MBA institutes like JBIMS, Goa Institute of Management, KJ SIMSR, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai/Gurgaon, PUMBA Pune, GIM Goa, IFMR Chennai, IMT Nagpur among others so that you dedicate yourself to put in your apex efforts while preparing for them.
- Practice Previous Papers: Time is a crucial factor while taking up any competitive exam so attempt previous year CMAT papers and take up mock tests frequently to determine how much time you consume while attempting a paper and what aspects of the exam you need to work upon.
- Design a Schedule: Covering the complete syllabus for CMAT with limited time can be a challenging task. Design a bespoke study schedule and ensure that each of the four sections of the CMAT paper are appropriately covered and no aspect of syllabus is left out. This would prevent any haste during the final days before the examination.
- Avoid Referring Too Many Books: Nowadays, there are hundreds of books that claim to have the best curriculum suited for the preparation of CMAT. But referring to all of them would just create a farrago of doubts and ambiguity in your minds so choose your reference books wisely and one or two are sufficient. But you must ensure that the books you choose have all the necessary knowledge required for an exceling CMAT preparation.
- Seek Toppers Advice: Various interviews are published every year acknowledging the toppers of CMAT for each session. Read them and track their valuable advice on how they prepared for the exam and the strategies followed by them.
- Coaching Institute: Although it is not necessary to opt for a coaching institute while preparing for CMAT exam as most aspirants believe self-study in a well-planned manner is enough to excel in this examination. But, coaching institutes usually have a promising experience in getting an aspirant prepared for competitive examinations in a time-bound manner. So while choosing a coaching institute, keep the following points in mind:
- Institute’s previous track records.
- Curriculum followed by the institute.
- Faculty of the institute.
- Time-slots available as per your requirements.
- Modes of education provided (Online & Offline)
CMAT Toppers FAQs
Question: Where can I download the answer key for CMAT exam 2020?
Ans. The answer key of CMAT 2020 has been uploaded and available on the official website for CMAT. Click here, to download it.
Question: What is the application fees for CMAT examination?
Ans. The application fee is different for different categories of candidates and is as follows:
General category (Male)-Rs 1600
General category (Female)-Rs 1000
OBC-NC,EWS (Male)-Rs 1000
OBC-NC, EWS (Female)-Rs 1000
SC/ST/DA (Female)-Rs 700
Question: When is CMAT 2021 slated to be conducted?
Ans. CMAT 2021 exam is scheduled to be conducted by National Testing Agency on the 24th of January, 2021 for Business schools admissions academic year 2021-23 in 1000 AICTE approved MBA/PGDM colleges.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.