CSIR NET Eligibility is stipulated by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) each year. Candidates willing to apply for CSIR UGC NET 2019 must possess M.Sc. or equivalent degree/Integrated BS-MS/BS-4 years/BE/B Tech/B. Pharma /MBBS with at least 55% marks to be eligible to apply for the exam. CSIR NET Exam is scheduled for June 16, 2019. Check CSIR NET 2019 Exam Dates
- Candidates must check the eligibility before applying for CSIR UGC NET 2019 Exam.
- Candidates should be maximum 28 years [33 years for SC/ ST/ PwD/ female candidates and 31 years for OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates] as on January 1, 2019. There is no upper age limit for candidates applying for lectureship.
- Only eligible and successfully registered candidates will be issued CSIR NET 2019 Admit Card.
- Candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- Candidates qualifying for JRF (NET) will receive fellowship either from CSIR or UGC as per their associated assignment. Check CSIR NET Result
Must Read: CSIR UGC NET Syllabus
CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2019
Before applying for CSIR NET, candidates should go through the eligibility requirements for CSIR NET. If any candidate is found to be ineligible at later stages then the candidature would be rejected straightaway. Aspirants can check below different eligibility criteria requirements for CSIR NET 2019.
- Candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- If any candidate is found otherwise, the application form of that particular candidate will be rejected.
- Maximum age limit prescribed for the award of Joint Research Fellowship (JRF) is 28 years as on January 1, 2019.
- Upper age limit may be relaxed up to 5 years for reserved category candidates (SC/ST/Persons with Disability (PwD) and female applicants) and 3 years for OBC – Non-creamy layer candidates.
- There is no stipulated age limit for the Lectureship.
- Candidates must have a degree in B.Pharma or BE or B. Tech or MSc or MBBS or Integrated BS-MS or any other science degree with at least 55% marks.
- 5% marks relaxation is given to candidates who belong to reserved category.
- Aspirants who are currently pursuing M.Sc and have completed graduation (10+2+3) are also eligible for this examination.
- Candidates who have done B.Sc or if they are pursuing the Integrated MS-PhD program and have got minimum 55% marks then they are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who have completed graduation from science or engineering background can also get the fellowship, provided they register for Ph.D. or Ph.D. integrated program within two years.
The table below provides a description for relevant degree/ academic background to choose a particular stream for CSIR NET 2019:
|Life Science||Pursued academic qualification in Life Science only|
|Chemical Science||Have a degree in M.Sc./BS/B-Tech or equivalent qualification in Chemistry with required percentage mentioned above|
|Earth Science||Pursued M.Sc./BS-MS/BS-4 Years/B-Pharma or any equivalent degree in the field of Earth Science within the required qualifying criteria.|
| Mathematics||Pursued M.Sc./BS-MS/BS/B-Tech or any equivalent degree in the field of Mathematics to meet the eligibility requirements|
|Physical Science||Possess a valid degree of M.Sc. Physics or BS-MS in Physics or any equivalent degree within the required percentage|
- Candidates who are enrolled in M.Sc. program or those who have completed 10+2+3 years of education are also eligible to apply under the Result Awaited (RA) category on the condition that they will complete the qualifying degree with qualifying marks within the 2 year validity period to be eligible for fellowship from the effective start date.
- PhD holders who completed Masters’ degree before September 19, 1991, with 50% marks are only eligible for lectureship.
- Candidates who will qualify for Lectureship will be eligible for recruitment as Lecturers as well as for Junior Research Fellowship in a Scheme/Project, if otherwise suitable. However, they will not be eligible for Regular JRF-NET Fellowship.
- For the award of JRF (NET), candidates will receive fellowship either from CSIR or UGC as per their assignment or from schemes with which they may find an association.
- Candidates declared eligible for Junior Research Fellowship under UGC scheme and Lectureship will be governed by UGC rules/regulations in this regard.
Selection of Junior Research Fellowship and Lectureship
While filling the CSIR UGC NET Application Form candidate has to mention whether he/she is applying for JRF or LS based on their eligibility and give their preference in such manner.
- A candidate who applies for JRF and fulfills the laid down eligibility criteria for Lectureship also will be considered for both JRF & LS.
- If a candidate is found to be over-aged for JRF (NET), he/she will only be considered for Lectureship (NET).
- Option/preference given by the candidate in his/her application form is final and request for change will not be entertained at any later stage.
- The number of candidates qualifying the exam depends on the number of fellowships available & performance in the test, subject to the condition that they fulfill the laid down eligibility criteria.
- Candidates with M.Sc qualification OR under M.Sc Result Awaited (RA) category shall be eligible for Lectureship (LS) subject to fulfilling the eligibility criteria as laid down by the UGC.
CSIR NET Reservation Criteria
CSIR has stipulated certain guidelines with respect to relaxation minimum marks required and upper age limit for candidates from different reserved categories (SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PwD) and female applicants
Category wise CSIR NET Relaxation of marks for eligible candidates from reserved categories is specified in the table below:
|Category||Relaxation in marks (In percentage)|
|Other Backward Classes||5%|
Candidates can also check the relaxation applicable for reserved category candidates in upper age limit.
|Category||Relaxation in Age Limit (in years)|
|OBC (non-creamy layer)||3|
|Persons with disability (PwD)||5|
CSIR Eligibility for NET LS/JRF Exam [Subject Wise]
- CSIR NET Eligibility for Life Science
- As per CSIR NET Eligibility for Life Science, the candidates are required to have any of the above-mentioned degrees in Life Science only.
- CSIR NET Chemical Science Eligibility
- As per CSIR Eligibility, the candidates must have valid M.Sc./BS/B-Tech or equivalent qualification in Chemistry with required percentage criteria mentioned above.
- CSIR NET Earth Science Eligibility
- The CSIR Exam Eligibility guidelines for Earth Science tells that the candidates must have completed M.Sc./BS-MS/BS-4 Years/B-Pharma or any equivalent degree in the field of Earth Science within the required qualifying criteria.
- CSIR NET Mathematics Eligibility Criteria
- The CSIR NET aspirants are required to have a valid degree in M.Sc./BS-MS/BS/B-Tech or any equivalent study for Mathematics to fulfill the CSIR Eligibility conditions for Maths.
- CSIR NET Eligibility for Physical Science
- In accordance with CSIR NET Eligibility for Physical Science, the candidates are required to have a valid degree of M.Sc. Physics or BS-MS in Physics or any related degree passed within the required percentage.
CSIR UGC NET Eligibility FAQ
Ques. What is the maximum age for appearing in CSIR UGC NET Exam?
Ans: The upper age limit for applying for the award of JRF shall be 28 years, which is relaxed up to 5 years for candidates belonging to Schedule Castes/Schedule Tribes, Women, Physically Handicapped and 3 years for OBCs. However, there is no upper age limit for those applying for Lectureship.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria/ minimum qualification for NET?
Ans: M.Sc. or B.Tech./B.E./B.S. 4 Year programme or an equivalent degree, with a minimum of 55% marks for general & OBC and 50% marks for SC/ST candidates, physically and visually handicapped candidates.
Ques. What is the maximum term for JRF?
Ans: The total tenure as JRF plus SRF(NET) will not exceed five years. This will include the tenure of Fellowship awarded by UGC/DST/DBT/ICMR/ICAR etc or any other funding agency/Institution.
Ques. Is there a provision of stipend for those who qualify for JRFs?
Ans: The stipend of a JRF selected through CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) will be INR 25000/ p.m for the first two years. On Completion of two years as JRF and if the fellow is registered for PhD, the fellowship will be upgraded to SRF (NET) and the stipend will be increased to INR 28000/- p.m for the 3rd and subsequent years.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College