Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest branches and its history goes way long back to the inception of Engineering. GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering is majorly divided into 4 sections. The syllabus of ME has been revised by the authorities for GATE 2021.
- In GATE ME paper, the majority of questions i.e 72% are from core subject syllabus and 15% from General Aptitude and 13% from Engineering Mathematics. The paper consists of 65 questions worth 100 marks. Check GATE 2021 ME Exam Pattern
- GATE 2021 has been scheduled for Feb 5-7 & 12-14, 2021. Along with the release of exam dates it has been announced that from this year candidates can sit for 2 papers which could increase the level of competition.
- If you have opted for ME as the first paper then you will only have one option for the second paper or discipline i.e. XE.
Candidates should note that the maximum number of applications in GATE are filled for Mechanical engineering paper which means competition is very high in this field. Only GATE 2021 qualifying candidates will become eligible to get admissions offered at IITs, NITs, etc. Read the article to know more about the revised GATE 2021 syllabus for mechanical engineering, important topics, and books.
GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
Section 1: Engineering mathematics
The section comprising of arithmetical questions, Engineering mathematics’ main aim is to test the applicant’s ability to understand complex concepts of mathematics involved in Engineering with ease and their application into problems.
- Linear Algebra
- Differential equations
- Complex variables
- Probability and Statistics
- Numerical Methods
Section 2: Applied Mechanics and Design
The Branch deals with the application of concepts of mechanics into complex situations. Closely looked, the branch explores the response of bodies or systems of bodies under the action of external forces. Let’s look at the Applied Mechanics & Design.
- Engineering Mechanics
- Mechanics of Materials
- Theory of Machines
- Machine Design
Section 3: Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences
Archimedes observed deviation in the mechanics of fluid and forces acting on them long before the term ‘engineering’ was coined. Following the footsteps of Archimedes- Leonardo Da Vinci, Issac Newton, and Blaise Pascal paved the way for Fluid Mechanics with their groundbreaking inventions and indisputable Theories.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
Section 4: Materials, Manufacturing, and Industrial Engineering
Considered the nerve of Mechanical Engineering, Material Science deals with the discovery and design of new elements, with an emphasis over solids. Manufacturing Engineering deals with intricacies of manufacturing processes and other considerations involved in it. Industrial Engineering deals with the work culture of Industries and mechanical processes involved with a clear depiction of Managing roles needed.
- Engineering Materials
- Casting, Forming and Joining Processes
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations
- Metrology and Inspection
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Production Planning and Control
- Inventory Control
- Operations Research
Weightage of Important Topics
GATE 2021 Mechanical Engineering – Weightage of Important Topics
- Sample Question 1:
- Sample Question 2:
Weightage of Topics/Sections
|Section||1 Mark||2 Mark||No.of Ques|
|Strength of Materials||5||4||9|
|Design of Machine Elements||0||1||1|
|Theory of Machines||1||2||3|
GATE ME Exam Pattern
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern of Mechanical Engineering
- Exam Mode: Online
- Duration: 3 hours
- Types of questions: MCQs and NAT
- Sections: 3 sections – General Aptitude, Mathematics and Subject-based
- Total questions: 65 questions
- Total marks: 100 marks
- Negative Marking: For MCQs only
|General Aptitude||15% of the total marks|
|Engineering Mathematics||13% of the total marks|
|Subject-Based (ME)||72% of the total marks|
|Type of question||Negative marking for wrong answer|
1/3 for 1 mark questions
2/3 for 2 marks questions
|NATs||No negative marking|
Read More GATE 2021 Exam Pattern
Best Books for Mechanical Engineering
Important Books for GATE 2021 Mechanical Engineering Paper
|GATE Preparation Books for Mechanical Engineering||Author|
|Mechanical Vibration||GK Grover|
|Design Of Machine Elements||VB Bhandari|
|Engineering Mechanics||SS Bhavikatti|
|Fluid Mechanics||RK Bansal|
How to Prepare for GATE ME Paper?
Preparation Tips for GATE 2021 ME Paper
1. Know your Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- First, go through your syllabus. Download a copy of the syllabus for future reference.
- Check the exam pattern to get a better idea about marking scheme, weightage of sections, etc.
- Divide your syllabus in increasing order of difficulty level so that you can [re[are your preparation plan based on the difficulty level of topics.
- Go through your syllabus again and again so that you won't miss any important topic.
2. Practice Virtual Calculator
- Students must practice the use of a virtual calculator because it is always better to prepare in advance.
- Using GATE 2021 virtual calculator from the time of your preparation will also help you in saving a lot of time in the exam.
3. Work on your Speed and Accuracy
- To improve speed and accuracy, you must practice more and more practice papers or online tests.
- Candidates must solve 1-2 practice after every 3 days.
- You will also come to know about the exam pattern, difficulty level of questions, type of questions asked in the paper, etc.
4. Time Management
- Candidates must prepare for the exam for 6-8 hours a day.
- Do not leave any topic for the end. Try to complete all the topics on time.
- Candidates are advised to do revisions 1-2 hours daily. This will help you in memorizing importing topics.
5. Regular Revisions
- Regular revision sessions will help you to remember all the important points during the time of examination.
- Do not overburden yourself. Take frequent breaks and revise topics when do not feel right to start a new topic.
- Make handwritten notes for revisions.
- Take a quick look at these notes before appearing for the exam to refresh the memory.
GATE Syllabus Of Other Papers
GATE 2021 Syllabus Of Other Papers
Rated as one of the best branches to pursue higher studies in, the stream is the first option for most of the engineering interested candidates and their guardians as well. Unarguably the elite, Mechanical Engineering deals with the complexities and intricacies of an automobile, power sector, manufacturing science, and other construction-related fields. Simply put, Mechanical is required almost everywhere- whether a tool needs to be manufactured, an automobile needs to be modified or a building or heavy machinery needs to be built. To pursue a career in this field candidates must prepare well for the exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering FAQs
Ques: What is the right source to get GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering?
Ans: Students can use the direct link mentioned above for GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering pdf released by IIT Bombay.
Ques: There are four major topics in GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering. Is it compulsory to prepare for all the sections or there will be any choice?
Ans: No. There will be no choice. In order to qualify GATE you have to prepare all the topics mentioned in the syllabus. There is no need to cover extra topics other than those mentioned in the syllabus unless that topic is helping you in understanding the basics. All the questions will be asked from the syllabus provided by the authorities.
Ques: What are the major topics in GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering?
Ans: Depending upon the weightage of topics some of the important sections are mentioned below:
- Engineering Mathematics – 9 questions
- Manufacturing Science – 10 questions
- Thermal Science – 9 questions
If you prepare these 3 sections property then you can score around 20 to 25 marks.
Ques: Which books are best for Fluid Mechanics?
Ans: All the candidates are advised to refer there graduation level books and notes. Those books will help you in understanding the basic concepts very easily. Other than that to prepare for the fluid mechanic's section you can refer to R.K. Bansal's books on Fluid Mechanics.
Ques: What will be the marking scheme of GATE Mechanical Engineering paper?
Ans: The marking scheme of GATE Mechanical Engineering will be the same as other papers.
1/3 for 1 mark questions
2/3 for 2 marks questions
|NATs||No negative marking|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.