GPAT 2021 requires a candidate to be thorough with everything he has learned in the B Pharm course. Aspirants must hence have a good preparation strategy to crack the exam.
- GPAT preparation can be done by using different techniques to study, solving previous years’ questions and mock papers.
- Aspirants should be thorough with GPAT Exam Pattern to prepare well for the exam.
- Focus on all important chapters covered in Pharmacology as 25- 30% questions are asked from this section.
- Around 4-5 numerical problems are asked every year so practice solving these questions.
- Some basic and conceptual questions from organic and physical chemistry based on 10+2 level are also asked.
The standard of the entrance exam has increased many folds over the last few years. This is why now students must prepare for the exam with double zeal. Cracking GPAT 2021 requires hard as well as smart work and determination, to go past through the hurdle of difficult questions.
GPAT 2021 is a common entrance test serving as a portal for applicants seeking admission into M Pharm programs offered by the best pharmacy schools of India. It is a very competitive exam due to the growing scope of the pharmacy field.
Clearing GPAT 2021 requires thorough preparation for the exam. In this article, we have mentioned certain GPAT 2021 preparation tips and tricks which can help you do well in the exam.
GPAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus
In order to score well in the exam, aspirants must know the GPAT Syllabus and exam pattern.
- It is an online test (computer-based) which has 125 objective questions.
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours. Every correct answer is awarded +4 marks and a penalty of 1 mark is charged for wrong answers.
- The exam has questions based on topics covered at the B Pharm level.
- Applicants should mainly cover chapters from 5 main sections- Pharm Analysis, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology, and Pharmaceutics.
GPAT Preparation Tips as per various Subjects
Cracking GPAT was easier when it used to be conducted with GATE by the IITs earlier. It was very much templatized and there were certain set pieces of questions which were repeated every year. However, now the level of unpredictability has increased in the exam. That is why students should study all topics thoroughly. The preparation tips candidates can use for each section are given below:
This is a very theoretical section. Applicants must read the chapters comprehensively and make micro notes based on it. These micro notes can help in last-minute revision.
From the analysis of previous years’ exam papers, it can be seen that the most asked drugs from this section are Senna, Morphine, and Vinca. Individuals must study all the concepts of these drugs; understand their mechanisms and their effects & uses. It is best to devote recurrent time periods to Pharmacognosy so that candidates do not forget the concepts and details.
Important topics in this section are-
- Volatile Oils
- Tissue culture
- Herbal drugs
Recommended books for Pharmacognosy:
- Pharmacognosy by C K Kokate
- The complete guide for Pharmacognosy by Trease and Evans
Many students find this section very interesting. Topics from this section carry a lot of weightage in GPAT 2021. Aspirants must study drug interaction and mechanisms as well as unique side effects of drugs (not general side effects like body pain). For the chapter of Classification of drugs, candidates can use acronyms to remember the names. For eg:
- Semisynthetic derivatives: Atropine Methonitrate, Homatropine, Hyoscine butyl bromide, Ipratropium bromide, Tiotropium Bromide (AHITH)
- Quaternary compounds: Propantheline, Clidimium, Oxyphenonium, Pipenzolate methyl bromide, Isopropamide, Glycopyrrolate (PCO PIG)
Important topics in this section are:
- Oncology (drugs for chemotherapy, upcoming technologies, etc.)
- Neuropharmacology and rare diseases
- Cardiovascular and Blood products
- Essentials of Medical Pharmacology by K D Tripathi
This section is relatively easy and only requires an understanding of concepts. Aspirants must practice solving numerical problems. Note down formulae and mug it up.
Important topics are:
- UV, IR and NMR
- Mass Spectroscopy
- Polarography and Polarimetry
- Flame Photometer
- Spectroscopy and Titration by Chatwal
- Chromatography by Remington
The questions asked from this section are very basic and only require conceptual clarity. Applicants should focus on organic chemistry in this section. Study electrophilic, nucleophilic reactions (substitution and addition) and intermediate reactions.
Important topics are:
- SAR of steroids
- Nomenclature and a chemical moiety of the medicinal drugs
- Basic Organic Chemistry by Morrison Boyd
- Medicinal chemistry by S N Pandey
This section is very essential for all students appearing in GPAT 2021. Candidates should begin this section by studying the formulation of tablets and emulsions. They must go through different techniques of sterilization. There can also be some numerical problems which can be asked from this section. Individuals must focus on the following topics:
- Pharmaceutical jurisprudence & ethics
- Surface and Interfacial Phenomena
- Kinetics and Drug Stability
- Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics
- The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy by Liebermann and Lachman
Prepare better with GPAT Sample Papers
General Preparation tips
- Every year there are 6- 8 questions based on spectroscopy- Mass spectrometry, UV, IR, and NMR spectroscopy. Students must read these chapters thoroughly.
- Make separate notes for the classification of drugs and the schedules of the drugs. Generally, 3-4 questions on herbal drugs are asked every year to go through the chapter of herbal and indigenous drugs.
- The frequency of numerical problems is increasing in GPAT every year. Individuals must attempt these problems for scoring good marks in GPAT 2021. Most of the numerical are asked from biopharmaceutics, depression in freezing point, allegation method, and dose on the basis of body weight and age.
- Applicants must solve mock papers and previous years’ papers which helps them understand the pattern of GPAT 2021 better.
- For other topics such as Dispensing Pharmacy, identify focus areas through old question papers. Make notes of key points collected from reference books.
Thing to carry at GPAT 2021 Exam center
Candidates are required to carry few things along with the GPAT 2021 Admit Card in order to be allowed inside the exam center. Given below are the important documents to carry at GPAT exam center.
- GPAT Admit card – All candidates are required to carry the hard copy of GPAT 2021 Admit Card otherwise they will not be allowed inside test center.
- GPAT Undertaking – Candidates are issued an undertaking along with the admit card. They have to make sure they fill in all the details and carry it to the exam center
- Valid ID card – Candidates will have to carry a photo identity proof issued by a competent authority preferably from a govt body like driving license, PAN card Aadhar Card or Voter’s card.
- Passport size Photograph – A passport size photograph will be required at the test center and candidates will have to paste it on the attendance sheet.
- PwD Certificate – Candidates with benchmark disabilities will have to carry a PwD certificate to the exam center in order to get a scribe and extra time during the exam.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.