IELTS Preparation starts with taking diagnostic tests to determine the strength and weaknesses of the candidate. It should include practice papers, online courses, official study materials, books, and sample answers to thoroughly understand the IELTS exam pattern. IELTS preparation time is dependent on the candidate’s proficiency level, on average of 2 – 3 month’s time is considered enough for preparing. IELTS preparation can also be planned at home with proper study materials and materials. For preparation purposes, experts suggest taking an online IELTS test for time management and real-time experience.
Table of Contents
How long does it take to prepare for IELTS?
Take a diagnostic online IELTS test and see at what level you are. This will help you to understand how much time you will need. 6-8 weeks should be enough time for IELTS preparation for an English-speaking candidate. If you need to work on your skills and target a high score, you will need more time, 3-4 months. Consider the factors whether you can study at home or you will need IELTS coaching classes, and how long can you study in a day.
Is 1 month enough to prepare for IELTS?
Yes, 1 month is enough time to prepare for IELTS. All you have to do is plan well.
- Watch videos explaining how to approach IELTS questions.
- Solve at least one IELTS practice test every day.
- If you already have good reading skills, focus on developing your IELTS listening skills because it may get tricky.
- Practice your vocabulary every day.
How can I prepare for IELTS at home?
IELTS preparation can be completed with a proper study plan, IELTS materials, and IELTS practice tests. Aspirants can access free materials and free IELTS online coaching classes for preparation at home. With proper time management skills, one can score well in the IELTS band score. IELTS preparation at home can be a self-paced preparation course where an aspirant can focus on weaknesses as per the score of the mock test. Amidst this pandemic, online IELTS coaching helps a lot in creating a routine plan.
- Find strength out of four sections present in IELTS
- Get a complete overview of the exam pattern of IELTS
- Try to be realistic in setting goals
- Always focus on improving vocabulary
- Indulge in regular mock tests
- Ask someone to assess the answer sheet of your mock test
- Try to look out for mistakes
- Always practice in front of a mirror to understand
- Try to give insights to make every section valuable
- Practice writing different essays following strict time
- With writing, one learns new words and grammatical usage
- Read your questions thoroughly and form an outline of your answer mentally.
- Avoid redundancy. Practice paraphrasing newspaper and magazine articles.
- Practice writing the IELTS writing task 1 in 20 minutes and IELTS writing task 2 in 40 minutes. Keep track of your time.
- Practice writing within the word limit of IELTS writing task 1 (150 words) and IELTS writing task 2 (250 words).
- Write to the point and relevant answers.
- Write short sentences using active voice.
- For writing IELTS practice test module can be helpful.
- If you follow online IELTS classes, you will find the IELTS Reading section contains 14 types of questions. Practice how to handle each type of question.
- You will get 2 minutes to read one IELTS reading passage. Practice reading at home regularly. Scan for important information while you are reading and that will speed up the process of answering questions.
- Simply locate the answers without trying to understand the entire passage.
- While IELTS preparation at-home practice spotting keywords in the IELTS reading passage.
- Learn new words and phrases. Practice paraphrasing.
- Materials for IELTS reading are available online on many websites for practice.
- Read and listen to English every day at home during IELTS preparation.
- IELTS preparation practice tests are very much helpful.
- Practice speaking in front of a mirror. This will build up your confidence.
- Practice speaking in English with your friends and family.
- Use informal and easy language in your speech.
- The IELTS Listening test is of 30 minutes duration. It needs an immense amount of practice to concentrate on audios for 30 minutes at a stretch.
- The recording will be played only once and you need practice to remember all the necessary information to answer the questions.
- Listening IELTS test practices are available online.
- You need to practice listening, reading questions, and pointing out answers all at the same time.
Few preparation books are considered to be the best for IELTS. List includes
- Barron’s IELTS Super pack – Check PDF
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS – Check PDF
- Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module: how to Maximize Your Score – Check PDF
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module - How to Maximize Your Score – Check PDF
- Grammar For IELTS – Check PDF
- IELTS Practice Tests Plus 2 with Key and CD Pack
- Cambridge IELTS 15 Academic Student’s Book with Answers
- Mometrix IELTS Book for General Training and Academic 2021 - 2022
Taking online IELTS classes is best in this pandemic situation. You can search for IELTS preparation materials online and practice them as per your need. If you are not consistent in your performance, IELTS online coaching classes are best for you. There are quite a few options as following
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.