The Union Public Service Commission sets IES Eligibility Criteria each year. Engineering aspirants or those in their final year can apply online for IES 2018. The last day to register for the engineering service examination is October 23, 2017. UPSC has scheduled IES 2018 for January 7, 2018.
Eligibility parameters are based on the following factors:
- Age Limits
- Minimum Educational Qualification
- Medical Examination and
- Physical Standards
A brief about IES Eligibility is listed below:
- Resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee can apply for IES 2018
- Candidate must hold bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University
- Age limit: 21-30 years as on January 01, 2019.
IES Eligibility – Nationality
Engineering aspirants must take note that UPSC considers the following nationals as eligible to apply for IES Exam:
- A candidate must be either:
- a citizen of India, or
- a citizen of Bhutan, or
- a citizen of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee migrated to India before January 01, 1962 with the intention to settle permanently in India
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
Note: The certificate of nationality will be accepted only if the candidate has received the certificate from Government of India. The absence of a valid certificate for IES will lead to the rejection of candidature.
IES Eligibility- Age Limit
- Age Limit Criteria in IES states that lower age limit for UPSC IES exam is 21 years and Upper Age Limit is 30 years.
- The aspirant must not have been born earlier than January 02, 1988 and not later than January 01, 1997.
- Candidate applying for IES 2018 must meet the mentioned IES Age Eligibility by January 01, 2019.
- For those who have served in any government organization will get an age relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
- As per UPSC, any government official applying for IES/ ESE will get the age relaxation even if he/she is already working on a post which is considered of a higher officer cadre.
- There is an age relaxation for the ones of have worked with any government organization on contractual basis for a period of 3 years or more. The service on the contractual basis will be counted till January 1, 2018.
- SC/ST/OBC candidates will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years on the upper age limit.
- The ex-servicemen candidates will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years.
- Physically disabled candidates will also get an age relaxation of 3 years.
Note: Candidates of SC/ST/OBC/Ex-servicemen quota will receive cumulative reservation benefits on upper age limit if applicable. To claim any reservation the certificate signed by the accepted government authorities must be obtained. The valid certificate will be accepted and the background verification for all information will be done.
IES Eligibility- Educational Qualification
The educational qualification IES Criteria as defined for the UPSC requires the applicant to have cleared one of the following criteria:
- must possess a degree in Engineering from a recognized institute with the minimum percentage required.
- should have cleared section A and B from the Institutions of engineers (India).
- obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such Foreign University/ College/ Institution and the certificate is valued as equivalent to the degree received in India.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
IES Education Criteria has following exceptions:
- If candidate has cleared UPSC IES and has not received the result of the final examination will be admitted only if he/she furnishes the final mark sheet during the UPSC selection process.
- Candidate who has cleared UPSC IES exam but has received a degree from a foreign university which is not accepted as equivalent to the Indian education standards may get selected. The selection, in this case, is dependent on UPSC selection committee choice.
- If a candidate does not have an engineering degree but has cleared IES exam will also be selected for the post if the degree is considered equivalent to standards of the engineering degree.
IES Eligibility- Medical Examination Standards
- All candidates irrespective of IES reservation criteria have to undergo a medical examination.
- The process requires the applicant undergo a series of physical fitness test.
- The standards are to be cleared by all candidates irrespective of their previous appearance for the examination.
- The medical examination defined by UPSC will be conducted at the various Railway hospitals.
- Candidates who are found unfit will be disqualified from the further procedure.
Details of Zonal Railway Hospitals
|Zone full||Hospital Name||Hospital Adress|
|Central Railways||B.A.M. Hospital||Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Railway Hospital, Byculla, Mumbai- 400027|
|Eastern Railway||B.R. Singh Hospital||B.R. Singh Hospital, Seldah, Kolkata- 700001|
|East Central Railway||Central Hospital||EC Railway, Karbhigahiya, Ptna- 803118|
|East Coast Railway||Central Hospital||Mancheswar, Bhubaneswar-75017|
|Northern Railway||Central Hospital||Basant Lane, Chelmsford road, Connaught place, Delhi- 110001|
|North Central Railway||Central Hospital||Allahabad- 211001|
|North Eastern Railway||LNMR Hospital||Lalit Narayan Mishra Hospital, Gorakhpure-273012|
|North East Frontier Railway||Central Hospital||Maligaon, Guwahati- 781011|
|North Western Railway||Central Hospital||Ganpati Nagar, Near Jaipur Railway Station, Jaipur- 302006|
|Southern Railway||Central Hospital||Constable Road, Ayanavaram, Perambur, Chennai- 600209|
|South Central Railway||Central Hospital||Lalaguda Railway Colony, Secunderabad- 500003|
|South Eastern Railway||Central Hospital||Garden Reach Road, Kolkata- 700043|
|South East Central Railway||Central Hospital||Bilaspur- 495004|
|South Western Railway||Central Hospital||Gadag Road, Hubli- 580023|
|Western Railway||J.R.H. Hospital||Jagjivan Ram Hospital, Maratha Mandir Marg, Mumbai Central, Mumbai- 400001|
|West Central Railway||Central Hospital||Indira Market, Jabalpur- 482001|
Other Instructions related to medical examinations:
- Medical examination schedule, venue and the final status of candidate will be uploaded on the official website of Indian Railways (www.indianrailways.gov.in).
- Candidates are required to carry three sets of form for Medical Board Report 2018 to be downloaded from the official website of Indian Railways.
- One must carry a valid government issued Photo ID card and three passport size photograph with them.
- Candidates belonging to PwD category must carry their Disability Certificate in original as per the format prescribed along with additional photocopy of the same.
Check Posts/ Services suitable for PwD candidates
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College