IIT JAM 2019 is scheduled to be conducted on February 11. The exam paper for JAM will be divided into three sections containing 30, 10 and 20 questions respectively. JAM 2019 is divided into two sessions which will be held from 9 am and 2 pm respectively. IIT JAM 2019 Application Form will be released in the month of September 2018.
- There are seven objective-type test papers in IIT JAM, named as Chemistry (CY), Physics (PH), Mathematics (MA), Geology (GG), Biological Sciences (BL), Mathematical Statistics (MS), Biotechnology (BT).
- IIT JAM is a Computer-based exam (CBT) and the language of the exam is English.
- The exam duration will be 3 hours.
- Negative marking will be applicable only for section A. As for the negative marking, for each wrong answer in the 1 mark question, 1/3 of marks will be deducted and for 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
- No marks will be deducted for un-attempted questions. Each paper will have 60 question for a total of 100 marks.
- In Section – A, there are Multiple-Choice Questions in behaviour, with total count of 30 in which 10 questions are of 1 mark each and remaining 20 questions are of 2 marks each
- In Section – B, there are total 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) of two marks each.
- Section – C has 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions in which there are 10 questions with 1 mark allocated to each and other 10 questions carrying 2 marks each.
IIT JAM 2019 Pattern Highlights
|Exam Name||IIT JAM 2019|
|Exam Mode||Computer Based Test|
|Test Duration||180 Minutes|
|Number of Sections||3 Sections- A, B & C|
|Number of Questions||60 Questions|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions, Multiple Select Questions & Numerical Answer Type|
|Total Marks||100 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||No negative marking in Section B & C but in section A, there will be negative marking of 1/3.|
IIT JAM 2019 Exam Pattern – Section-Wise Division
Given below is the detailed JAM 2019 exam pattern which mentions the number of questions, marking scheme, types of questions and the mode of exam. The question paper will be divided into three sections for all the subjects. The details pertaining each section is given below.
|Sections/Types||Section A||Section B||Section C|
|Number of Questions||30||10||20|
|Marks||1 or 2 mark for each question||2 marks for each question||2 marks for each question|
|Negative Marking||1/3 of marks will be deducted and for 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted||No negative marking||No negative marking|
|Types of Question||Multiple Choice||Multiple Choice||No options will be displayed|
|Mode of Exam||Online||Online||Online|
|Total number of Question||60|
JAM Exam Pattern 2019 – Papers, Sessions and Timing
JAM 2019 examination is divided into two sessions. The first session will start at 9 am while the second session will begin at 2 pm The list of papers under each session and their timings are given below.
JAM Subject Sessions and Timings
|Biotechnology (BT)||Session I||9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
| Biological Sciences (BL)||Session II||2:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Chemistry (CY)||Session I||9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
|Geology (GG)||Session I||9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
|Mathematical Statistics (MS)||Session I||9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
|Mathematics (MA)||Session II||2:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Physics (PH)||Session II||2:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
IIT JAM 2019 Marking Scheme
Each paper in IIT JAM 2019 will contain total 60 questions divided into three sections which will carry 100 marks.
- Section A contains 10 Multiple choice questions of 1 mark each and 20 MCQs of 2 marks each.
- Section B contains 10 Multiple select questions of 2 marks each.
- Section C contains 10 Numerical Answer type questions of 1 mark each and 20 questions of 2 marks each.
- There is no negative marking in the Section B & C but negative marking will be done for Section A.
- In section A, for the 1 mark question, 1/3 of marks will be deducted for a wrong answer and for a 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each incorrect response. No marks will be deducted for un-attempted questions.
IIT JAM 2019 Syllabus
The syllabus will be divided as per the subjects & sections. It will be comprised of following subject’s topics & chapters, i.e. Biotechnology (BT), Biological Sciences (BL), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GC), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) & Physics (PH). The IIT JAM 2019 Syllabus will be prepared by the Institution from 10+2+3 level.
- Biological Sciences (BL): General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Mathematical Sciences.
- Biotechnology (BT): The Biotechnology test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. The syllabus will be of graduation level.
- Chemistry (CY): Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry.
- Geology (GG): The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology.
- Mathematics (MA): Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of Two Real Variables, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis,
- Mathematical Statistics (MS): The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics and Statistics. Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses.
- Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics, Simple Oscillators.
How to Prepare for IIT JAM 2019?
Start your Exam Preparation Well in Advance:
- It will be beneficial for you to begin your exam preparation during your graduation. Most of the questions are asked from what you study during your graduation years, therefore, you must be very thorough with the degree course.
- It is indeed important for you to clear your concepts and have a proper understanding of each topic/chapter. Also, to keep your preparation on track, you must also make notes while studying for the exam.
Getting Acquainted with Syllabus:
- Depending on the course that you are opting for, getting acquainted with the syllabus is the first and foremost thing to do.
- The syllabus of IIT JAM is announced by the organising institute or respective institutes well in advance. Therefore, be sure to prepare each and every topic that has been mentioned in the IIT JAM Syllabus.
Refer to Previous Year Question Papers:
- The more you solve the previous year question papers, the better understanding you get about attempting the final exam.
- Solving IIT JAM Previous Year Question Papers will not only give you insight about the exam but will also make you confident on the day of the exam.
- Previous year question papers will also give you an idea of the frequent questions asked in the exam from various topics.
Take Mock Tests:
- There are mock exams available online which you can attempt to boost your exam preparation.
- Taking mock tests will enable you to have a strategy in place - in terms of time management and prioritizing the topics to be tackled first.
Refer to IIT JAM Books:
- There are various IIT JAM books by different authors. Referring to these books while preparing for the exam will help you extensively.
- These books will give you a fair idea about the exam syllabus, important questions, marking scheme and overall exam pattern of IIT JAM.
IIT JAM 2019 Exam Day Instructions
- There is the provision of using an online virtual calculator and hence, candidates should not bring any calculator with them.
- Mobile phones or any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited inside the examination hall.
- Charts, graph sheets, tables, are also NOT allowed inside the examination hall.
- A scribble pad will be provided for rough work and this should be returned at the end of the examination
- Candidates are required to select the answer for MCQ and MSQ type questions, and to enter the answer for NAT questions using only a mouse on a virtual numeric keypad (the keyboard of the computer will be disabled).
- At the end of the 3-hours the computer will automatically close the examination.
- Use of unfair means by a candidate in JAM 2019, whether detected at the time of examination, or at any other stage, will lead to cancellation of their candidature as well as disqualification of the candidate from appearing in JAM in future.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College