JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Exam Pattern has gone major changes with the reduction in CBSE syllabus. According to the revised exam pattern, there will be a total of 82 questions of which students will need to answer 77 questions. The total marks however will remain the same as last year i.e., 400 marks.
The change in JEE Main 2021 B.Arch exam pattern is because of the increase in NAT questions within the Mathematics section. There will be a total of 10 questions (which was 5 last year). Students will be provided with a choice to answer any five questions from this section. Check Changes in JEE Main B.Arch Paper Pattern
- April 20, 2021: JEE Main B.Arch Question Papers slot-wise for previous years available. Download Here
- April 18, 2021: JEE Main April Session Postponed, new dates yet to be released by NTA. Read More
NTA introduced a separate paper for admission to B. Planning making the B. Arch paper specifically for admission to the course of Architecture. The paper is conducted online for two sections (Mathematics and Aptitude) and offline, for the drawing section. Check JEE Main 2021 Syllabus
Through JEE Main 2021 B.Arch paper, students can apply for admission to the B.Arch courses offered at NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, and other colleges. The students must have a 10 + 2 qualification to appear for the exam. Through this article, we have tried to cover all the aspects of JEE Main B. Arch paper ranging from the exam pattern to sample questions and exam day tips to career scope and top colleges with JEE Main Cut off
JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Exam Pattern Highlights
|Mode of Exam|| |
Computer-based Test; The drawing section of the B.Arch paper will be pen and paper-based.
|Marking scheme||For MCQs: +4 for each correct answer and -1 for any wrong answer; |
For NAT: +4 for each correct answer and 0 for any wrong answer;
For Drawing: +50 for each correct answer and 0 for any wrong answer
|Duration of Exam||3.5 hours Download JEE Main Sample Papers|
|Language of Exam (Revised)||English, Hindi, Urdu (All Center Cities) |
|Hindi, English, and Gujarati (only for centers in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs and Numerical Answer Type (NAT)|
|Sections||Mathematics (30 questions - 20 MCQs, 10 NAT) |
Aptitude (50 MCQs)
Drawing (2 questions)
|Mathematics (35 questions - 20 MCQs, 5 NAT) |
Aptitude (50 MCQs)
Drawing (2 questions)
|Total Number of Questions (Revised)||82 (Mathematics- 30; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)|
|Total Number of Questions to be Answered (Revised)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)|
- How to Stay Motivated for JEE Main 2021 Amidst the Ongoing Coronavirus Crisis?
- Calculate your rank using JEE Main Rank Predictor
Why is the knowledge of the exam paper pattern important?
The knowledge of the B.Arch exam pattern of JEE Main 2021 is extremely important because you will have an understanding of the amount of effort you will have to put in for each section according to the expected number of questions. You can make a strategic timetable for your preparation accordingly. The nature of questions (MCQs, NAT, and drawing) will also aid in effective preparation.
How are Separate Papers for B. Arch and B. Planning Helpful for the Candidates?
- The existence of separate papers for B.Arch and B.Planning is very helpful for candidates because the sections differ according to the requirements of each course.
- Students can choose to attempt any one or both of these papers.
- B.Arch and B.Planning papers have the mathematics and aptitude sections in common because fluency in these topics is essential for admission to both courses. However, the third section differs in both these papers.
- The B.Arch paper has drawing questions relevant to B.Arch courses while B.Planning has planning-based objective type questions relevant to B.Planning courses.
Changes Made in the JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern by NTA
Changes in B.Arch Paper Pattern
- Unlike the previous year, the total number of questions in JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern will be 82 with an addition of 5 more Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions in the Mathematics section. Students will however need to answer 77 questions only that will be divided into three sections:
- Section I - Mathematics
- Section II - Aptitude test
- Section III - Drawing Test
- JEE Main 2021 Paper 2 will have Sections I and II conducted in the Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode.
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions have been included in Section I without any negative marking.
- Section III will be pen and paper-based. Earlier, the paper had three questions in this section. However, now there will be only 2 questions.
|Section||Total Number of Questions||Questions to be Answered||Maximum Marks||Type of Questions|
|Mathematics||30 (20 + 10)||25 (20 + 5)||100||20 Objective Type (MCQs) and 10 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions|
|Aptitude Test||50||50||200||Objective Type - Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Drawing Test||2||2||100||Questions for drawing test|
Note: Mathematics and aptitude papers will be the same for B.Arch and B.Planning papers in JEE Main 2021.
Separation of B.Arch and B.Planning papers
B.Arch and B.Planning papers were considered one until 2019. A separate exam will be arranged for the candidates who wish to apply for B.Planning courses for the first time in the history of the JEE mains. Thus, JEE Main 2021 will be administered in three sections -
- B.Tech / B.E. Paper 1
- B.Arch Paper 2
- B.Planning Paper 3
Now, as per their preference, students have an option to appear for any one, two, or all three papers.
Marking Scheme of JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Paper
- Total Number of Questions Asked: 82 questions
- Total Number of Questions to be Answered: 77 questions
- Maximum Marks: 400 marks (Mathematics: 100; Aptitude: 200; Drawing: 100)
|Type of Questions||For Each Correct Answer||For Each Incorrect Answer||For Each Unanswered Question|
B.Arch Paper Analysis of JEE Main January 2020 Session
JEE Main 2020 for B.Arch happened over two shifts in one day i.e. January 6, 2020:
|Shifts||Exam Start||Exam End|
|Shift I||09:30 AM||12:30 PM|
|Shift II||02:30 PM||05:30 PM|
JEE Main 2020 Shift I - Day 1 (Jan 6)
The first shift of the JEE Main 2021 January session successfully began on January 6, 2020. 1,38,409 candidates had registered for the B. Arch paper. According to the initial reactions of the candidates, the Mathematics section was found to be the toughest. The general difficulty level of the exam was moderate to difficult.
The detailed JEE Main Paper Analysis for B. Arch paper is given below -
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Mathematics
- The level of difficulty of Section 1 - Mathematics was found to be very high by candidates.
- The questions were asked from the maths syllabus of classes XI and XII. However, according to a majority of the test takers, more weightage was given to the class XI syllabus in the Mathematics section.
- Many questions appeared from topics such as 3D coordinate geometry and distance, to name a few.
- The number of questions from integration and differentiation was low.
JEE Main B. Arch Aptitude
- Compared to the Mathematics and Drawing sections, the Aptitude section was considered to be comparatively easier by the candidates.
- Mirror image and 3D figures were some of the topics asked.
- A few specific questions from the Aptitude section were regarding the correct size of a door, the location of the Konark temple, and the texture of a mirror, among others.
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Drawing
- The Drawing section was conducted offline.
- The test-takers had to answer 2 questions in this section.
- The second question offered 3 choices out of which one was to be attempted by candidates.
- The questions were based on topics like school playground, cylinder, gymnast, and grandparents' faces, among others.
- Overall, the Drawing section was considered tough by most of the test takers.
JEE Main 2020 Shift II - Day 1
The JEE Main 2020 afternoon shift for B.Arch was scheduled between 2.30 PM to 5.30 PM. Quite obviously, candidates found the Mathematics section to be the toughest. The general difficulty level of the paper was moderate to difficult.
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Mathematics
- According to students, the Mathematics section was difficult.
- There were 4 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- Majority of the questions asked were from the Class XI syllabus.
- The questions from calculus were quite challenging.
JEE Main B. Arch Aptitude
- The Aptitude section was moderately difficult.
- Some questions in this section consisted of designs and candidates had to determine how they look from different views.
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Drawing
- The Drawing Test section was held offline and was easy but consumed a lot of time.
- Candidates were asked to draw a landscape in this section.
Paper Attempting Tricks for JEE Main 2021 B. Arch
- Trick 1 - Get a quick overview of the B.Arch paper:
- When you get the JEE main B. Arch paper read through it and identify the easy and moderately difficult questions.
- Answer them first so that you do not miss out on a good score later because you failed to attempt the easy questions.
- It is recommended that you attempt the Drawing section first because although there are only 2 questions, they carry 100 marks in total. Also Read How to prepare for JEE Main B.Arch Paper?
- Trick 2 - Do not waste time a lot of time in answering a single question:
- It is highly recommended that you do not spend more than 3 minutes on MCQs and NAT questions in the B.Arch paper.
- Spending too much time on a single question will lead to you lag behind, unable to answer the entire paper within 3 hours.
- If you cannot determine the answer to a question, move on to the next. You can try to answer difficult questions at the end of the paper.
- Trick 3 - Keep up your confidence and positivity:
- Stay calm, confident, and positive about your preparation when you are presented with the exam paper.
- Panicking will make you blank out and your marks will suffer. Believe in the effort that you have put in preparing for the B.Arch paper.
- Trick 4 - Do not make random guesses in MCQs:
- MCQs have negative marking in the JEE Main B.Arch paper. Therefore, ensure that you do not randomly answer these questions.
- Suppose you are unable to find an answer to a question even at the end of the paper, leave it unanswered.
- Trick 5 - Read questions attentively:
- Do not let panic come in your way of reading the questions carefully. This holds true for all the three sections of the B.Arch paper.
- If you fail to understand the questions, you might end up giving the wrong answers or drawing the wrong sketches.
- Trick 6 - Use unsoiled rough work:
- Ensure that when you are carrying out rough work for MCQs, NAT questions, and drawings, it is done in a comprehensible manner.
- Haphazard rough work will only lead to further complication of a given question.
- Mark question numbers for all the rough work that you do to avoid confusion at any time.
- Trick 7 - Check your answers:
- It is very important that you check your answers to the JEE Main B.Arch paper. This will help you identify any mistakes you might have made while attempting the paper.
Sample Questions for JEE Main 2021 B. Arch
- C is a circle with a diameter formed by a line segment of the line 3x + 2y = 6 intercepted by coordinate axes. Which point does C also pass through?
- Suppose any tangent to the parabola x-square = 4y intersects the hyperbola xy = 2 at points P and Q, the midpoint of line segment PQ rests on a parabola with axis along -
- x-axis and focus on positive x-axis
- y-axis and focus on positive y-axis
- x-axis and focus on negative x-axis
- y-axis and focus on negative y-axis
- What are the symbols on a map that represent physical features on the Earth’s surface known as?
- When was the Earth Summit held?
- Which among these Indus Valley Civilisation sites is situated on the banks of river Indus in the Larkan District of Pakistan?
- Find the median of given values ( 2,4,3,2,9,75,29 )
- Create an image of -
- A gymnastic exercise
- A playground
- Create an image of -
- A beautiful building
- Your mom is looking outside a train window, to a distance
- Draw an aesthetic card from an equilateral triangle
- Create an image using cylinders.
Syllabus for JEE Main 2021 B. Arch Paper
It is important to get a good idea about JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Paper Syllabus well ahead of the exam so you can distribute your preparation time between this paper and others accordingly. MHRD’s announcement of 30% reduction in CBSE class XI and XII syllabus has led to changes in the paper pattern of JEE Main 2021. However, no changes have been announced for JEE Main Syllabus so far.
JEE Main B.Arch Mathematics Syllabus
|Sets, relations, and functions||Integral calculus||Sequences and series|
|Complex numbers and quadratic equations||Differential equations||Limit, continuity, and differentiability|
|Matrices and determinants||Coordinate geometry||Trigonometry|
|Permutations and combinations||Three-dimensional geometry||Mathematical reasoning|
|Mathematical induction||Vector algebra||-|
|Binomial theorem and its simple applications||Statistics and probability||-|
JEE Main B.Arch Aptitude Syllabus
|Serial Number||Topic Name|
|1||Awareness of persons, places, buildings, materials|
|2||Objects, texture related to architecture and built environment|
|3||Visualizing three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings|
|4||Visualizing different sides of three-dimensional objects|
|5||Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal)|
JEE Main B.Arch Drawing Syllabus
|Serial Number||Topic Name|
|1||Drawing and Designing of geometrical or abstract shapes & patterns in pencil|
|2||Transformation of forms, both 2D and 3D union|
|3||Elevation and 3D views of objects rotation|
|4||Development of Surfaces and Volumes|
|5||Generation of Plan|
|6||Creating 2D & 3D compositions using given shapes and forms|
|7||Sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes|
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Career Scope
Good scores in JEE Main B.Arch Paper will let you gain admission into top B.Arch courses in the country. B.Arch is a full-time program spanning a duration of 5 years. Subjects from the fields of engineering, arts, and technology are employed in the professional practice of architecture.
What after B.Arch?
After graduation, candidates can explore the following options:
- Study M.Arch
- Get a Ph.D. in Architecture
- Work in Architecture Jobs
Job Opportunities for B.Architecture
- Owing to the boom in construction and designing fields, the career opportunities in architecture are many.
- Both government and private organizations demand graduates of B.Arch and M.Arch.
- You can find job opportunities in the construction, urban development, urban planning, interior designing, and public works departments.
- Architect firms and consultancy companies can also enhance your career prospects in architecture.
- B.Arch graduates can work in an office space and a construction site.
- You can also work to design houses, apartments, colonies, stadiums, shopping complexes, and schools.
Some job profiles for B.Arch graduates include - Data Analyst, Architecture Designer, Architecture Engineer, Interior Designer, Architecture Draftsman, Staff Consultant, Technical Assistant, Project Assistant Manager, Sales/Business Development Manager, Architectural Assistant, Architectural Historian/Journalist, Art Director, Building Contractor, and Landscape Architect
The top recruiters are -
|Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj||Architect Consultants|
|L&T||VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.|
|DLF||Edifice Architects Pvt. Ltd.|
|Jindals||Chitra Vishwanath Architects|
Pay Scale - As an architect, your starting salary can be around Rs. 4 lacs - 5 lacs per annum, payscale will go up depending on your experience and skills.
NATA vs JEE Main B. Arch Paper - Which is Better for B. Arch Admission?
Students who want to get admissions into top B.Arch courses can do so by either taking the National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) or JEE Main B. Arch Paper. NATA is conducted by the Council of Architecture (CoA) while JEE Main Paper 2 is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
Both the exams have a similar exam pattern and level of difficulty. Choosing one of the two examinations for B.Arch admission will depend on the college of your preference. Different colleges take admissions through NATA and JEE Main B. Arch Paper.
NATA tests the drawing observational skills, mathematics, aesthetic sensitivity, and critical thinking ability of students. JEE Main B. Arch Paper tests knowledge in mathematics, general aptitude, and drawing.
To know which examination to choose for B.Arch admission, you must know the differences between the two and the colleges that take in students through these examinations.
Eligibility Criteria for NATA vs JEE Main B. Arch Paper
|NATA||JEE Main B. Arch Paper|
| || |
Exam Pattern of NATA vs JEE Main B. Arch Paper
Both examinations are conducted for a duration of 3 hours. Questions from Mathematics, Aptitude, and Drawing are asked. The Mathematics and Aptitude segments are conducted online while the Drawing segment is pen and paper-based.
NATA Exam Pattern
|Part||Subjects||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Part A||Mathematics||20 Questions (2 Marks Each)||40|
|General Aptitude||40 Questions (2 Marks Each)||80||-|
|Part B||Drawing||2 Questions (40 Marks Each)||80|
JEE Main B. Arch Paper Exam Pattern
|Section||Questions Asked||Questions to be Answered||Maximum Marks|
|Section I- Mathematics||30 Questions (20 MCQs + 10 NAT)||25 Questions (20 MCQs + 5 NAT)||100 (4 Marks Each)|
|Section II- General Aptitude||50 Questions (MCQs)||50 Questions (MCQs)||200 (4 Marks Each)|
|Section III- Drawing||2 Questions||2 Questions||100 (50 marks Each)|
Participation Level of NATA vs JEE Main B. Arch Paper
Participating colleges are more for NATA, therefore, the number of students is also different from JEE Main Paper 2. The JEE Main Paper 2 has an international reputation with its own standard level of difficulty. NATA is a specialized test that assesses logical thinking and aesthetics of drawing towards architecture planning and geometry. NATA 2018 saw 44,000 students out of which 30,560 qualified. JEE Main Paper 2 of 2018 saw 1,22,543 students.
Top Colleges that Offer Admission Through JEE Main 2021 B. Arch Paper
|College Name||Course Name|
|National Institute of Technology- Calicut||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Planning|
|National Institute of Technology- Hamirpur||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology- Jaipur||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Planning Ph.D.|
|Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology- Nagpur||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture Ph.D.|
|National Institute of Technology- Patna||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Urban Planning|
|National Institute of Technology- Raipur||Bachelor of Architecture|
|National Institute of Technology- Rourkela||Bachelor of Architecture M.Tech Architecture and Planning Ph.D.|
|National Institute of Technology- Tiruchirappalli||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture Ph.D.|
|BITS - Mesra||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Urban Planning Ph.D.|
|School of Planning & Architecture- New Delhi||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning Ph.D.|
|School of Planning & Architecture- Bhopal||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning Ph.D.|
|School of Planning & Architecture- Vijayawada||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning Ph.D.|
|Chandigarh College of Architecture-Chandigarh||Bachelor of Architecture|
|SRM University-Chennai||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Town and Regional Planning Ph.D. Program|
|ICL Institute of Architecture- Ambala||Bachelor of Architecture|
|GITAM University- Visakhapatnam||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture|
|Faculty of Technology and Engineering- Vadodara||Bachelor of Architecture|
Cut-off Ranks for Top Colleges through JEE Main B. Arch Paper
|College Name||Cut-off Rank|
|Malviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur||Closing Rank (Open Category, Home State)- 2401 Closing Rank (Open Category, Other State)-1263|
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Closing Rank (Open Category, Home State)-3235 Closing Rank (Open Category, Other State)-1629|
|National Institute of Technology, Calicut||Closing Rank (Open Category, Home State)-1141 Closing Rank (Open Category, Other State)-1323|
|National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur||Closing Rank (Open Category, Home State)-11202 Closing Rank (Open Category, Other State)-1902|
JEE Main 2021 B. Arch Paper FAQs
Ques. How can I prepare for JEE Main B.Arch?
Ans. To prepare for JEE Main B.Arch, you must -
- Refer to textbooks of Classes XI and XII for the Mathematics section.
- Categorize topics in weekly and monthly segments. Set practical goals.
- Practice your observation skills and drawing to ace the Aptitude and Drawing sections.
- Use your engineering drawing notes for the preparation of 2D/3D questions.
- Make flashcards and revision notes.
- Solve sufficient previous years’ papers and take mock tests.
Ques. What are the best JEE Main B.Arch 2021 books?
Ans. Some of the best books for JEE Main B.Arch are -
- CBSE NCERT books of Classes XI and XII are very useful for the Mathematics section.
- ‘A Complete Self Study Guide for B.Arch 2018 Entrance Examination (English)’ by P.K Mishra, Arihant Publications
- ‘Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning Book’ by R.S. Aggarwal
- ‘Architecture Entrance Book’ by P.K. Mishra.
Ques. Is JEE Main Paper 2 easy?
Ans. JEE Main Paper 2 has a difficulty level that ranges from moderate to difficult. The Mathematics section is generally very challenging with MCQs and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. The Aptitude section is moderately difficult. The Drawing section is usually quite easy but takes a lot of time to answer.
Ques.What are the qualifying marks for JEE Main Paper 2?
Ans. JEE Main Paper 2 has no minimum qualifying marks. The cut-off is generally based on the number of JEE Main Paper 2 candidates and their performance in the examination. The rank you obtain in this paper is important. As evident by the pattern of the previous years, if you obtain a score of 70% and above, you may get admission to any top B.Arch course.
Ques. What comes in B.Arch paper?
Ans. B.Arch is the Paper 2 of JEE Main. JEE Main B.Arch Paper Pattern has been revised. The JEE Main B.Arch has three sections. Section I is the Mathematics Section. 25 MCQs and 10 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions are asked in this section. Students are required to answer all 25 MCQs and any 5 NAT questions from this section. Section II is the Aptitude section. 50 MCQs are asked from this section. Section I and II are conducted in the Computer-Based Test (CBT) Mode. Section III is the Drawing Test section which consists of 2 questions. This section is conducted offline and will require you to draw with a pen on a paper.
Ques. Does JEE Main 2021 B.Arch have negative marking?
Ans. Yes, JEE Main B.Arch has a few questions with negative marking. The paper has three types of questions - MCQs, Numerical Answer Type(NAT), and Drawing. MCQs are asked in the Mathematics and Aptitude sections. 4 marks are awarded for the correct answer and 1 mark is deducted for an incorrect answer. NAT questions and drawings do not have any negative marking.
Ques.Does JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Paper have its drawing section conducted online?
Ans. No, the drawing section is the only part of the B.Arch paper that shall be conducted offline during the exam.
Ques. Is JEE Main B.Arch more difficult than NATA?
Ans. JEE Main B.Arch and NATA are conducted by two different examining bodies who test the students based on different parameters. While the JEE paper focuses more on general aptitude, the NATA paper focuses more on aesthetic sensibility and designing sense. Thus, they cannot be directly compared in terms of difficulty.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.