As per JEE Main Chemistry exam pattern 2021, there will be a total of 30 questions of which students will need to answer 25 questions. For this year, there has been an increase in the number of NAT questions for Chemistry section. Students will be provided with a total of 10 questions (which was 5 last year) and they will have a choice of answering any five. Check JEE Main Chemistry Syllabus
- April 20, 2021: JEE Main Chemistry Question Papers for previous years available. Download Here
- April 18, 2021: JEE Main April Session Postponed, new dates yet to be released by NTA. Read More
The Chemistry section consists of objective type questions from Physical Chemistry, Organic and Inorganic chemistry. Some of the important topics are Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties, Hydrogen, Organic Compounds containing Halogens, Purification and characterization of Organic compounds, Chemical Thermodynamics, Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure, etc.
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Exam Pattern Highlights
|Mode of Exam||Computer Based Test (Online)|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for the correct answers and -1 for incorrect answer|
|Duration of Exam||3 Hours|
|Language of Exam||Hindi, English and Gujarati (Only for centers in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli)|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Value Based|
|Total Number of Questions||30 (20+10) Questions|
Why is Knowledge of the exam pattern important ?
- Understanding the JEE Main 2021 exam pattern is quite essential to have a good preparation for the entrance examination.
- The pattern brings to light the assessment time duration, type and number of questions that will appear in the exam, section-wise weightage, and the marks allotted to each topic.
- Even if a candidate is in the final phase of preparation, one should not forget the question paper pattern.
- Brushing up the major areas carefully will reduce stress and anxiety during the exam.
- Understanding the paper pattern goes along with attempting mock papers and can prepare you better for the real exam.
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Exam Pattern Details
- JEE Main 2021 Mode of Examination: JEE Main 2021 will be conducted in Online mode only i.e. Computer-based Test.
- JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Syllabus: The Chemistry syllabus is divided into 3 sections: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry. The Topics under all the three sections are included in JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Syllabus.
- JEE Main Marking Scheme: As per JEE Main 2021 Marking Scheme, candidates will be awarded 4 marks for each correct answer. 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer. There will be no negative marks for Numerical value based questions.
- JEE Main Exam Duration: Aspirants will get a total of 3 Hours to attempt 75 (Out of 90) questions. Practice with JEE Main Sample Papers.
- Medium of Question Paper: Candidates can choose to take exam in any of the three languages i.e. Hindi, English and Gujarati (Only for centers in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli).
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Marking Scheme
- Candidates will get 4 marks for each correct answer.
- 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
- Zero mark will be rewarded for unattempted questions.
- There will be no negative marks for Numerical value based questions.
- Candidates are advised not to fill more than one option in the OMR sheet. If they do so then that question will be considered incorrect and you will get negative marks.
|Subject||Total Marks||Number of Questions||Marking Scheme|
|Chemistry||100||75||+4 marks will be awarded for the correct answers |
-1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect response
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry: Important Topics
For most of the aspirants, chemistry is the rank decider because it mostly talks about the basics and in comparison to the Mathematics and Physics questions asked in JEE Main, the Chemistry section is more theoretical than calculative which makes it relatively easier for students to score high in this section.
There are many chapters/topics that an aspirant must cover in Chemistry in order to score a better rank. Figuring out the important chapters/topics for JEE Main Chemistry is not a complicated task, and you can identify the same by referring to the previous years question papers of JEE Main. Check Here JEE Main 2021 Practice Paper
Moreover, in order to help the candidates, we have provided the list of important topics or chapters of JEE Main Chemistry section below:
1. Organic Chemistry
|Biomolecules and Polymers||Alcohol and Ethers||Chemistry in Action|
|Carbonyl Compounds||Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives||Classification and Nomenclature|
|General Organic Chemistry||Haloalkanes||Haloarenes and Phenols|
|Hydrocarbons: Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes||Isomerism||Nitrogen Compound and Aliphatic Amines|
|Practical and Environmental Chemistry||Ozonolysis||Grignard Reagent|
2. Inorganic Chemistry
|Chemical Bonding||Coordination Compounds||D-Block and F-Block Elements|
|Metallurgy||P-Block Elements Periodic Properties||Qualitative Analysis|
|S-Block Elements||Hydrogen and its Compounds||-|
3. Physical Chemistry
|Chemical Equilibrium||Atomic Structure||Chemical Kinetics|
|Electrochemistry||Gaseous State||Ionic Equilibrium|
|Mole Concept||Nuclear Chemistry||Redox and Volumetric Analysis|
|Solid State Solution (General and Colligative Properties)||Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry||-|
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Chapter-wise Weightage
Based on the questions asked in previous years, we have tabulated the weightage of topics or chapters in Chemistry which are important for JEE Main 2021.
1. Physical Chemistry
|Chapters||Average Number of questions||Weightage|
|Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry||1-2||4-8%|
|States of Matter||1||4%|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||1-3||4-12%|
|Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Solutions & Colligative Properties||0-1||0-4%|
|Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry||0-1||0-4%|
2. Inorganic Chemistry
|Classification of Elements||1-2||4-8%|
|D-Block & F-Block elements||0-1||0-4%|
3. Organic Chemistry
|Some basic Principles of Organic Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Alkyl Halide, Alcohol & Ether (Reaction Mechanism)||1-3||4-12%|
|Chemistry in everyday life||0-1||0-4%|
|Grignard Reagent, Reduction, Oxidation & Hydrolysis||0-1||0-4%|
|Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives||0-1||0-4%|
|Principles related to Practical Chemistry||0-1||0-4%|
JEE Main Chemistry Paper Analysis
- JEE Main aspirants found the Chemistry section easy amongst the other two sections and there were no difficult questions. =
- However, a few of them were tricky questions.
- Most of the questions asked in JEE Main Chemistry section were from NCERT textbooks, and there was more emphasis on Class 12th syllabus.
- Therefore, candidates appearing for the January 2021 session exam are advised to focus on Class 12th topics along with Class 11th topics.
JEE Main 2021 (January session) was conducted from January 6 to January 9, 2021. As per the analysis, 10-12 questions were asked from Organic Chemistry, 7-9 questions were from Physical chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry had 5 to 6 questions in the entrance examination.
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Sample Questions
Question: Wash and wear clothes are manufactured using
- Wool fibres
- Cotton mixed with nylon
- Nylon fibres
- Terylene fibres
Answer: (D) Terylene fibres
Question: A mixed solution of potassium hydroxide and sodium carbonate required 15 ml of a N/20 HCL solution when titrated with phenolphthalein as an indicator. But the same amount of the solution when titrated with methyl orange as an indicator required 25 ml of the same acid. Calculate the amount of KOH present in the solution.
- 0.24 g
- 0.038 g
- 0.014 g
- 5.4 g
Answer: (C) 0.014 g
Question: High density polyethylene (HDPE) can be prepared from ethylene by
- Condensing with styrenes
- Ziegler-Natta Process
- Heating with peroxides
- Condensing in sealed tubes
Answer: (B) Ziegler-Natta Process
Question: The elements of group IA provide a colour to the flame of Bunsen Burner due to
- Low ionization potential
- Presence of one electron in the outermost orbit
- Low melting point
Answer: (A) Low ionization potential
Question: Which of the following is used as an antibiotic
Answer: (D) Ciprofloxacin
Question: Which of the following is not true for reserpine?
- Reserpine is a non-alkaloid
- Reserpine is a tranquilizer
- Reserpine is obtained from the plant Rauwolfia serpentina
- Reserpine is also known as serpasil
Answer: (A) Reserpine is a non-alkaloid
What is Chemistry and its Scope?
Chemistry is one of the important subjects in JEE Main entrance examination. There are three sections in Chemistry i.e. Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. Generally in examination, theoretical questions are asked from this subject. It is a branch of science dealing with the study structure, composition and properties of matter. Moreover, It also deals with the study of the changes with different forms of matter under different conditions.
Scope of Studying Chemistry
There are many examples in your day-to-day life that involve chemistry, its application, and its rules. Few of them are mentioned below:
- The Scope of Chemistry in Supply of Food- The study of chemistry has provided chemical fertilizers such as calcium superphosphate, Ammonium Sulphate, Sodium Nitrate, Urea. It has helped farmers to protect the crops from insects and harmful bacteria by the use of certain effective insecticides. Chemistry has led to the discovery of preservatives.
- The Scope of Chemistry in Industry- Chemistry plays an important and useful role in the development and growth of a number of industries. For example: Cement, glass, textile, leather,etc. It has also helped in the greater production of nitric acid, sulphuric acid,and Ammonia.
- The Scope of Chemistry in saving the environment- We have environment friendly chemicals because of Science which helps us to Conserve the natural environment. For Example Replacement of CFCs in the refrigerator.
- The Scope of Chemistry in War- Chemistry plays a crucial role in the discovery of highly explosive substances such as Dynamite, Nitroglycerine and TNT. It also plays a role in finding poisonous gases like Phosgene, mustard gas, etc.
Important Instructions for Candidates
- JEE Main 2021 Admit Card must be brought to the examination centre for verification with a minimum of one original and valid photo identification proof (Aadhar Card, Passport, College ID, PAN Card, Driver’s License, Voter ID, or Employer ID).
- Beverages and eatables will not be allowed inside the examination hall. Those aspirants who suffer from a medical condition were allowed to carry medicine.
- Candidates must report to the venue of examination 60 minutes before the scheduled time of examination.
- Candidates will be allowed to take the exam only if their credentials get verified by the officials of the examination centre.
- The Aspirants should not tamper with the computers provided to them in the hall.
- JEE Main 2021 Admit Card will be considered valid only if the candidate’s signature and photograph are clearly visible.
- After taking your seat, check the computer that has been allocated is in appropriate working condition.
- Confirm your photograph, which will show up on the screen on the right-hand upper corner of the screen.
- Read the important instructions, which will show up on the screen right after you sign into the account.
JEE Main Chemistry Exam Pattern FAQs
Question: How many questions will be there in the Chemistry section?
Ans. There will be 30 questions asked from the Chemistry section. Out of these candidates have to answer 25.
Question: Are there any sectional limits?
Ans. No, there is no sectional limit in JEE Main 2021. Candidates can dedicate as much time on a particular section.
Question: Will JEE Main Chemistry have a descriptive question?
Ans. According to JEE Main Chemistry Exam Pattern, the examination will only have Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Value based Questions.
Question: How many marks will be deducted for unanswered questions in JEE Main Chemistry?
Ans. As per JEE Main Chemistry Paper Pattern, there will be no deduction of marks for unanswered questions. Such questions will not be taken into consideration while calculating the total marks of the candidate.
Question: What will be the marking scheme in JEE Main Chemistry Paper?
Ans. The candidates will be awarded +4 marks for each correct response whereas, -1 will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.