JEE Main Eligibility Criteria has been relaxed, as announced by Education Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank through a tweet. Like the previous year, 75% criteria has been scrapped for this year as well. Candidates who clear JEE Main 2021 will only need their 12th passing certificate for admissions, irrespective of the score obtained by them.
- April 18, 2021: JEE Main April Session Postponed, new dates yet to be released by NTA. Read More
- April 14, 2021: JEE Main Admit Card for April session to be released soon. Check Here
- Mar 19, 2021: JEE Main 2021 B.Arch Admission Criteria Relaxed for 2021-22. Check Here
As basic criteria, candidates appearing/have passed class XII can apply for JEE Main 2021. In a live webinar on Dec 16, Education Minister confirmed the increase in the total attempts for JEE Main 2021 from two to four. The exam will be conducted beginning in February (thereafter in March, April & May-2021) for 4-5 days during each phase. Phase I of JEE Main 2021 is scheduled from February 23 – 26, 2021.
- For B.E./ B.Tech (Paper 1) – Physics and Mathematics along with one of these subjects Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology are mandatory in qualifying examination.
- For B. Arch. (Paper 2) – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects at 10+2 level and should also have secured above 50% marks in each subject.
- For B. Planning (Paper 3) – Mathematics as a compulsory subject in class 12.
- A total of three consecutive attempts will be provided to clear JEE Main. Check JEE Main 2021 Reservation
- Check JEE Main 2021 Eligibility Relaxation Notification
JEE Main 2021 Detailed Eligibility Criteria
The basic requirement to take JEE Main 2021 exam is to pass a 10+2 examination. The detailed eligibility for JEE Main 2021 is as follows:
JEE Main 2021 Age Limit Criteria
- There are no age limit criteria for JEE Main 2021.
- However, candidates are advised to check the age limit criteria (if any) of the institute, they wish to apply at.
- JEE Main vs JEE Advanced – What are the Differences? Check Here
- Collegedunia’s Exclusive Interview with JEE Main Topper Pranav Goyal, AIR 4
Year of Passing Qualifying Exam for JEE Main 2021
- Candidates should have passed class 12 or an equivalent qualifying exam in 2019 or 2020.
- Candidates appearing in class 12 or equivalent qualifying exam in 2021 can also apply for JEE Main.
|Passing Year of Class 12||Eligibility|
|2018 or before||Not Eligible|
|2021 and beyond||Not Eligible|
JEE Main 2021 Number of Subjects in Qualifying Exam
- It is mandatory for a candidate aspiring to take JEE Main 2021 to pass the qualifying exam with 5 subjects in total.
- If 4 subjects are taken in the exam, the candidature will not be considered valid.
JEE Main 2021 Score Required in Qualifying Exam
Candidates have to secure a minimum percentage in order to be eligible for the JEE Main 2021 exam. Details regarding the same are given below:
- For general category candidates – minimum 75% marks in aggregate.
- For SC/ST/PWD candidates – 65% marks in aggregate.
Note: This criteria has been scrapped for JEE Main 2021. Candidates who clear JEE Main 2021 will only need their 12th passing certificate for admissions, irrespective of the score obtained by them.
JEE Main Total Number of Attempts
- Candidates can appear for JEE Main for up to 3 consecutive years.
- The exam is conducted twice a year, the candidate may appear in both the attempts.
- Appearing in both the sessions of the same year will be counted as a single attempt.
JEE Main 2021 List of Qualifying Exams
The JEE Main 2021 basic eligibility criteria is finishing class 12 from a center or state-recognized institute. Although there are other equivalent qualifying exams considered for eligibility in the JEE Main Exams
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized Central/ State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi; etc.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy (NDA).
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Higher Secondary Certificate Vocational Examination.
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a State board of technical education of at least a 3-year duration.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
What is new in JEE Main 2021 Eligibility?
JEE Main 2021 has some new eligibility criteria, most of which was introduced in 2020. Some of the new features in the JEE Main eligibility are briefed below:
- Possession of a valid ID – Candidates from India are required to have Aadhaar Card or other valid IDs in order to take the entrance exam. Similarly, Foreign Applicants must hold a valid Passport.
- Provision for Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Assam Applicants – For those sitting for the exam from these states must provide the required details – Passport Number, Ration Card, Bank Account Number or any other Govt. Id Number while filling JEE Main 2021 Application Form. Also, they have to choose cities in these States as examination Centers.
- No weightage given to Class 12th marks – As per CBSE’s directive, class XII marks will not be considered while calculating All India Rank of JEE Main.
JEE Main 2021 Subject Combination for Eligibility
The JEE Main 2021 subject combination that is essential for the candidates in order to gain admission to any of the IIITs, NITs, and GFTIs is given below:
- B.E/B.Tech - Compulsory subjects in the form of Mathematics and Physics along with either Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology as the third subject in any of the qualifying examinations.
- B.Arch - Any of the qualifying exams needs to be passed with Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry.
- B.Planning - Mathematics is compulsory as a passing subject.
JEE Main 2021 Eligibility for Droppers
There is no specific age limit for candidates to apply and sit for the exam. However, there are a few requisites to be met in case a student wishes to take a gap year after Class 12 or wants to re-appear for the JEE Main Exam.
- For admissions into NITs, IIITs and CFTIs admissions, applicants must have obtained a 75% aggregate or be amongst the top 20 percentile of their respective boards. At least 65% of marks are required for SC/ST category candidates.
- Only three attempts are allowed for JEE Main in continuity. So, for 2021, it is essential that the appearing candidates have passed their Class 12 exams in 2019 or 2020.
- It is critical that any applicant must have had at least five subjects for the 12th class or qualifying exam with compulsory ones in the form of Physics, Mathematics, and chemistry/biology/biotechnology.
JEE Main 2021 Eligibility - Improvement Examination Criterion
For candidates appearing in improvement examinations in either one/two subjects or all the subjects, these conditions apply when it comes to the eligibility criteria for JEE Main Exam:
- Improvement in one/two subjects - If an applicant is appearing for an improvement exam in 2021, then 2020’s top 20 percentile will be accountable. In this case, the aggregate percentage will be calculated on the basis of the maximum marks acquired in the necessary subjects.
- Improvement for all subjects - If an aspirant is appearing for improvement exam in 2021 for all the subjects, then the better of both the years’ result will be considered.
JEE Main 2021 Documents Required
JEE Main 2021 mandatory documents that are needed for the candidature:
- Identity Card: Any Proof of Identity in the form of PAN Card, Drivers Licence, Voter ID, Aadhaar Card (government provided).
- Photograph and Signature: Scanned copies Signature and Photograph are needed. Both the documents should be with a minimum size of 10 KB and a maximum size of 100 KB. The ideal dimensions should be 3.5 cm X 4.5 cm and in the format of JPEG/JPG only.
- Educational Documents: Class 10th Marksheet and Certificate, Class 12th Marksheet are required.
JEE Main 2021 Reservation of Seats
The Government of India has a section of the total number of seats in JEE Main reserved for different categories of candidates. The allocation of seats is in the form of:
|CANDIDATE-CATEGORY||PERCENTAGE OF RESERVATION|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Non-Creamy Layer - Other Backward Classes (NCL-OBC)||27%|
|General Economically Weaker Section (General- EWS)||10%|
|People with Disability (PwD)||3%|
- Admission to NITs/ IITs/ CFTIs participating via Central Seat Allocation Board will be based on AIR (All India Rank).
- Also, earlier the candidate must have secured at least 75% marks in 10+2 exams or be in the top 20 percentile in 10+2 conducted by the respective board.
- For SC/ ST candidates, the qualifying marks in 10+2 are 65% or more.
JEE Main 2021 State of Eligibility
- While filling the JEE Main 2021 registration form, candidates have to fill the state from which they passed their class 12th exam or an equivalent exam.
- The candidates’ JEE Main Eligibility will depend upon the state from which the 12th exam is cleared.
- It is important to note that the State code of eligibility does NOT depend upon the native place or the place of residence of the candidate.
Admission to NITs, IITs, CFTIs, SFIs, State Engineering Colleges
- Admission to JEE Main 2021 B.E./B.Tech, B.Arch, and B.Planning courses in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs (participating though Central Seat Allocation Board) will be based on All India Rank.
- Though, it also depends on the fact that the candidate should have secured at least 75% marks in the 12th class examination, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class / Qualifying examination conducted by the respective Boards. (Scrapped for JEE Main 2021)
- For SC/ST candidates the qualifying marks would be 65% in the 12th class/qualifying examination. (Scrapped for JEE Main 2021)
|Central Seat Allocation Board |
B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Arch/ B. Planning
|NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch/B.Planning|| |
75% marks in the 12th
(Scrapped for JEE Main 2021)
|Council of Architecture||Institutes other than NITs, IIITs, CFTIs||B. Arch||50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics along with 50% aggregate in the qualifying exam.|
JEE Main Eligibility FAQs
Ques. I am confused regarding the state code of conduct. What is it?
Ans. Basically, the state code of conduct is for candidates who have passed the class 12 exam from a particular state. It is just the code that has been given to a particular state.
Ques. Is there any separate eligibility requirement for international applicants?
Ans. No, there is no such requirement. Eligibility criteria are the same for both Indian and International applicants. However, it is important to have scored marks/grades equivalent to the required percentage from a board recognized by AIU.
Ques. If I am appearing for an improvement exam in one subject in Class 12, can I still apply online for JEE Main 2021?
Ans. Yes, you can apply online for the examination.
Ques. Is Aadhaar Card mandatory for JEE Main 2021?
Ans. No. Aadhar Card is not mandatory for JEE Main 2021. Any identification proof is sufficient for the JEE Main 2021.
Ques. How many JEE Main attempts are allowed for a candidate?
Ans. According to the latest update, a candidate can appear for JEE Main exam three times.
Ques. What is the JEE Main 2021 eligibility criteria for Paper 3 ?
Ans. Paper 3 of JEE Main 2021 is exclusively for B. Planning program. Candidates who have passed class 12 exam with mathematics are eligible for the Paper 3.
Ques. What is the minimum percentage of marks required for a candidate from the reserved category?
Ans. A candidate from the reserved category must have at least 65% marks in class 12 or equivalent qualifying exam.
Ques. I was born in Noida but I passed 12th from Delhi. What will be my state of eligibility?
Ans. If a candidate appears for the Class XII examination in New Delhi and is a resident of NOIDA, Uttar Pradesh, the candidate’s State code of eligibility will be that of Delhi and NOT that of Uttar Pradesh.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.