The National Testing Agency or NTA will release JEE Main Eligibility along with the official notification. As a basic condition, candidates appearing/ have passed class 12 with minimum 75% marks can appear for JEE Main 2019. From 2019 onwards, the engineering examination will be conducted twice a year in online (computer based) mode.
Latest B.Tech Application Forms Available
Last year, several changes in the eligibility standards were formulated by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The same are expected to be adopted for this year by NTA. The key points about JEE Main Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- For B.E./ B.Tech (Paper 1) – Physics and Mathematics along with one of these subjects Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology are mandatory in qualifying examination.
- For B.Arch./B.Planning (Paper 2) – Mathematics with aggregate 50% marks in 5 subjects.
- A total of three attempts will be provided to clear JEE Main.
- Born on or after October 1, 1994 (5 years relaxation for SC/ST/PwD. i.e 1989) are eligible to register for the engineering exam.
NTA will be organising JEE Main from 2019 onwards twice a year in January and April in online mode only. The exam was being conducted by CBSE till 2018. Candidates can appear in either of the two or both. The syllabus, nature of questions, choice of language & exam fee will not change. Read more
Eligibility Norms for JEE Main 2019 in Detail
The basic requirement to take JEE Main 2019 exam is to pass 10+2 examination. Apart from this, Aadhar card is a mandatory document without which, candidates will not be considered eligible for the exam. The detailed eligibility is as follows:
Date of Birth
- For General Category- On or after October 1, 1994
- For SC/ST, PWD category- relaxation of 5 years
Year of Passing Qualifying Exam
- Candidates who appeared for the exam on or before 2016 will not be considered eligible.
- Those appearing after 2020 will not be eligible as well.
- Candidates passing after 2016 or appearing in the year 2019 can appear for JEE Main 2019.
Number of Subjects in Qualifying Exam
- It is mandatory for a candidate aspiring to take JEE Main 2019 to pass the qualifying exam with 5 subjects in total.
- If 4 subjects are taken in the exam, the candidature will not be considered valid.
Score Required in Qualifying Exam
- For general category candidates- minimum 75% marks in aggregate.
- For SC/ST/PWD candidates- 65% marks in aggregate. Know AboutReservation
Total Number of Attempts
- Candidate can appear for up to 3 times for the Joint Entrance Exam.
- There is no relaxation for candidates belonging to reserved category.
Eligibility for Class 12 Droppers
- The eligibility conditions for year droppers does not vary, however, they must fall under the age category of 24 years.
- There is no relaxation in terms of marks required in class 12 exams. Candidates must have obtained 75% marks in 5 subjects.
- Those who fulfil JEE Main eligibility criteria will sit for JEE Main Paper 1 and Paper 2 exam in January and April respectively. CheckJEE Main 2019 exam dates
What is new in JEE Main Eligibility?
- Possession of Aadhaar Card- Candidates from India are required to have Aadhaar Card in order to give the entrance exam. Similarly, Foreign Applicants must hold a valid Passport.
- Provision for Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Assam Applicants- For those sitting for the exam from these states must provide the required details – Passport Number, Ration Card, Bank Account Number or any other Govt. Id Number while filling JEE Main 2019 Application Form. Also, they have to choose cities in these States as examination Centers.
- No weightage given to Class 12th marks- As per CBSE’s directive, class XII marks will not be considered while calculating All India Rank of JEE Main 2019.
- Admissions in IITs/ NITs/ IIITs and other CFTIs – at least 75% marks in class 12th, or be in the top 20 percentile in class 12th class exam conducted by the respective board, to qualify for admissions. For SC/ST candidates, the qualifying marks are 65% marks.
Eligibility for Admission to NITs/ IITs/ CFTIs participating via CSAB
- Admission to NITs/ IITs/ CFTIs participating via Central Seat Allocation Board will be based on AIR (All India Rank).
- Also, candidate must have secured at least 75% marks in 10+2 exam or be in the top 20 percentile in 10+2 conducted by the respective Board.
- For SC/ ST candidates, the qualifying marks in 10+2 are 65% or more.
JEE Main Eligibility FAQs
Ques. I passed class 12 in 2017-2018 and appeared for improvement in 2019, am I eligible for JEE Main?
Ans: Yes, just select the year of passing 10+2 as 2017-2018 in the application form. Thereafter, select ‘yes’ in the column – appearing for improvement examination. The roll number of improvement examination 2019 can also be filled at the time of downloading admit cards of JEE Main.
Ques. I recently applied for Aadhaar card. I don’t have the details now. What should I do?
Ans: No worries! Just use the 14-digit enrollment number printed on the slip issued to you at the time of submitting the request.
Ques. I am confused regarding the state code of conduct. What is it?
Ans. Basically, state code of conduct is for candidates who have passed the class 12 exam from a particular state. It is just the code which has been given to the particular state.
Ques. Is there any separate eligibility requirement for international applicants?
Ans. No, there is no such requirement. Eligibility criteria are the same for both Indian and International applicants. However, it is important to have scored marks/grade equivalent to the required percentage from a board recognized by AIU.
Ques. If I am appearing for an improvement exam in one subject in Class 12, can I still apply online for JEE?
Ans. Yes, you can apply online for the examination. However, you must produce the marksheet stating that you have secured 75% and above percentile (65% for SC/ ST) in QE at the time of admissions.
Ques. Being an International citizen, I do not have Aadhar card, what should I do now?
Ans. Worry not, you will have to submit your passport details.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College