NTA has released the official JEE Main Syllabus 2021 for all the 3 papers. MHRD’s announcement of 30% reduction in CBSE class XI and XII syllabus has led to changes in the paper pattern of JEE Main 2021. No changes have been announced for JEE Main Syllabus. NTA has also released a separate syllabus for B.Arch and B.Planning papers. Check JEE Main Revised Exam Pattern
JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 will cover topics from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Paper 2 Syllabus for JEE Main 2021 covers topics from Aptitude, Drawing, and Mathematics. While that for Paper 3 will be from topics of Mathematics, Aptitude and Planning-based questions. Awareness of JEE Main Syllabus 2021 will allow applicants to be well versed with subject wise preparation and the ideal approach to identify their strengths and weaknesses. Download JEE Main 2021 Syllabus (Official)
- April 20, 2021: JEE Main Physics Question Papers for previous years available. Download Here
- April 18, 2021: JEE Main April Session Postponed, new dates yet to be released by NTA. Read More
JEE Main 2021 New Exam Pattern
NTA introduced major changes in the JEE Main Exam Pattern this year, changes introduced this year are tabulated below. For the first time choice has been introduced for questions considering the reduction in syllabus by CBSE and other state boards. Although total questions in each of the 3 papers has been increased, but the total marks for the papers remains the same as the previous years. Check JEE Main 2021 Sample Papers
|Particulars||JEE Main Exam Pattern (Old)||JEE Main Exam Pattern (New)|
|Number of Papers||3||3|
|Separate Paper for B. Planning||✅||✅|
|Name of Papers||B.E/B.Tech; B. Arch; B. Planning||B.E/B.Tech; B. Arch; B. Planning|
|Maximum Questions Asked||B.E/B.Tech-75; B. Arch- 77; B. Planning- 100||B.E/B.Tech-90; B. Arch- 82; B. Planning- 105|
|Maximum Questions to be Answered||B.E/B.Tech-75; B. Arch- 77; B. Planning- 100||B.E/B.Tech-75; B. Arch- 77; B. Planning- 100|
|Total Marks||B.E/B.Tech-300; B. Arch- 400; B. Planning- 400||B.E/B.Tech-300; B. Arch- 400; B. Planning- 400|
|Numeric Value Based Questions||✅||✅|
|Planning Based Objective Type MCQs (B. Planning)||✅||✅|
The national level examination will be conducted in online (computer-based) mode only. Aspirants can opt for one or all the 3 papers of JEE Main 2021. The duration of the exam is 3 hours. A compensatory time of 1 hour is given to candidates with 40% disability. If you wish to take both B. Arch and B. Planning, then the examination duration will be of 3 hours 30 minutes.
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 B.E/B. Tech
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 Chemistry
Like Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry constitutes one-third of Paper 1 i.e the question paper will have both, numerical and theory-based questions. Here is a break up of the topics in the Chemistry syllabus:
|Section A: Physical Chemistry|
|Unit 1: Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry||Unit 2: States of Matter||Unit 3: Atomic Structure||Unit 4: Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure|
|Unit 5: Chemical Thermodynamics||Unit 6: Solutions||Unit 7: Equilibrium||Unit 8: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry|
|Unit 9: Chemical Kinetics||Unit 10: Surface Chemistry||-||-|
|Section B: Inorganic Chemistry|
|Unit 11: Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties||Unit 12: General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Metals||Unit 13: Hydrogen||Unit 14: Block Elements (Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals)|
|Unit 15: P-Block Elements||Unit 16: d-and-f Block Elements||Unit 17: Coordination Compounds||Unit 18: Environmental Chemistry|
|Section C: Organic Chemistry|
|Unit 19: Purification and Characterization of Organic Compounds||Unit 20: Some Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry||Unit 21: Hydrocarbons||Unit 22: Organic Compounds Containing Halogens|
|Unit 23: Organic Compounds Containing Oxygen||Unit 24: Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen||Unit 25: Polymers||Unit 26: Biomolecules|
|Unit 27: Chemistry In Everyday Life||Unit 28: Principles Related to Practical Chemistry||-||-|
Certain topics have been exam favorites over the years and must be given more time and effort as compared to other topics. Here is a list of such topics from the Chemistry syllabus of JEE Main along with their expected weightage in the exam. Check JEE Main Practice Papers
|Important Topics||Expected Weightage|
|Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, and Polymers||7%|
|Transition Elements & Coordination Chemistry||9%|
|Periodic Table and Representative elements||6%|
|General Organic Chemistry||6%|
Since the Chemistry section has a lot of concept-based questions in JEE Main, it is advisable to refer to help books for a deeper understanding of the exam pattern and theoretical concepts.
|Physical Chemistry||O.P. Tandon|
|Numerical Chemistry||P Bahadur|
|Modern Approach to Numerical Chemistry||RC Mukherjee|
|Organic Chemistry||Paula Bruice Yurkanis|
|Organic Chemistry||O.P. Tandon|
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 Physics
Physics contributes a total of 25 questions in the exam. The syllabus can be broadly segregated into the following 5 sections:
|Section A – Theory|
|Unit 1: Physics and Measurement||Unit 2: Kinematics||Unit 3: Laws of Motion||Unit 4: Work, Energy, and Power||Unit 5: Rotational Motion|
|Unit 6: Gravitation||Unit 7: Properties of Solids and Liquids||Unit 8: Thermodynamics||Unit 9: Kinetic Theory of Gases||Unit 10: Oscillations and Waves|
|Unit 11: Electrostatics||Unit 12: Current Electricity||Unit 13: Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism||Unit 14: Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents||Unit 15: Electromagnetic Waves|
|Unit 16: Optics||Unit 17: Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation||Unit 18: Atoms and Nuclei||Unit 19: Electronic Devices||Unit 20: Communication Systems|
|Section B – Practical|
|Unit 21: Experimental Skills|
There are a few topics in the Physics syllabus that have been a regular feature of the JEE Main exam over the years. Students must target such chapters with the highest weightage first. Here is a list of the topics that are expected to have maximum weightage in JEE Main 2021.
|Important Topics||Expected Weightage|
|Heat and Thermodynamics||11%|
|Current and Electricity||7%|
Reference books Students can refer to the following books for a better idea of the exam questions and clarity of basic concepts. You must also practice sample question papers to get used to the exam pattern.
|Concept of Physics Part 1&2||H.C. Verma|
|IIT JEE Physics||D.C. Pandey|
|Problems in Physics||S.S. Krotov|
|Fundamental of Physics||Resnick, Halliday, and Walker|
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 Mathematics
Candidates must have a thorough understanding of the maths syllabus for effective preparation. For every correct answer, 4 marks will be awarded and for every incorrect answer, 1 mark will be deducted. Here are the topics included in this section. Check Detailed JEE Main Mathematics Syllabus
|Unit 1: Sets, Relations, and Functions||Unit 2: Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations||Unit 3: Matrices and Determinants||Unit 4: Permutations and Combinations|
|Unit 5: Mathematical Induction||Unit 6: Binomial Theorem and Its Simple Applications||Unit 7: Sequences and Series||Unit 8: Limit Continuity, and Differentiability|
|Unit 9: Integral Calculus||Unit 10: Differential Equations||Unit 11: Coordinate Geometry||Unit 12: Three Dimensional Geometry|
|Unit 13: Vectoral Algebra||Unit 14: Statistics and Probability||Unit 15: Trigonometry||Unit 16: Mathematical Reasoning|
Some chapters from the Mathematics syllabus carry more weightage than the others. This list contains the most important topics from JEE Main syllabus with weightage.
|Important Topics||Expected Weightage|
|Sequence and Series||7%|
|Matrices and Determinants||7%|
Reference Books Acing the Mathematics section requires rigorous practice. Although JEE main syllabus mostly comprises of NCERT topics, these books open up a range of questions that may be asked in the exam.
|Maths XI & XII||R.D. Sharma|
|Plane Trigonometry||S. L. Loney|
|Higher Algebra||Hall & Knight|
|IIT Mathematics||A Das Gupta|
|Problems of Calculus in one Variable||I.A. Maron|
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 B.Arch
- B.Arch paper will be of 3 hours and it comprises of 3 sections – Mathematics, Aptitude Test and Drawing Test. Check JEE Main B. Arch Pattern
- Mathematics section syllabus is the same for B.E/ B. Tech, B. Arch and B. Planning papers.
- The syllabus for drawing test and aptitude test is as follows:
Drawing Test Syllabus for B. Arch Paper
Here is the prescribed syllabus for the drawing test:
Drawing and Designing of geometrical or abstract shapes & patterns in pencil
Transformation of forms both 2D and 3D union
Elevation and 3D views of objects rotation
Development of Surfaces and Volumes
Generation of Plan
Creating 2D & 3D compositions using given shapes and forms
Sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes
Aptitude Section Syllabus for B. Arch and B. Planning Paper
Aptitude section will hold the maximum marks i.e 200 marks in both the papers of JEE Main 2021. The syllabus for Aptitude section for B. Arch and B. Planning is tabulated below:
|Unit I||Awareness of persons, places, Buildings, Materials. Objects, Texture related to Architecture and build—environment. Visualising three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings. Visualizing. different sides of three-dimensional objects. Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal).|
|Unit II|| |
Three dimensional - perception: Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, building forms, and elements, color texture, harmony and contrast. Design and drawing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil. Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union, subtraction, rotation, development of surfaces and volumes, Generation of Plan, elevations and 3 D views of objects. Creating two dimensional and three-dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms.
Sketching of scenes and activities from memory of urbanscape (public space, market, festivals, street scenes, monuments, recreational spaces, ect.), landscape (river fronts, jungles, trees, plants, etc.) and rural life.
Aptitude section will be present in both B. Arch and B. Planning paper. The following table elucidates the most important topics from the JEE Main 2021 syllabus with weightage for the Aptitude Test in Paper 2:
|Important Topics for Aptitude||Marking Weightage|
|Awareness of Places, persons, buildings and materials||2-3%|
|Texture and Objects related to Architecture||2-3%|
|Visualizing 3D objects from 2D drawings||3-4%|
|Visualizing Different sides of 3D Objects||3%|
|Contrast and Harmony||-|
|Building Forms and Elements||-|
|3D- Perception and Appreciation of scale and proportion of objects.||2-3%|
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 B. Planning
B.Planning paper has 3 sections i.e. – Mathematics, Aptitude section and Planning based objective type. The syllabus for Mathematics in B. Planning section is same as B.E/B. Tech Maths syllabus. Aptitude section syllabus is also shared by B. Arch and B. Planning papers. The syllabus for Planning based questions is as follows:
- General Awareness: General knowledge questions and knowledge about prominent cities, development issues, government programs etc.
- Social Sciences: The idea of nationalism, nationalism in India, pre-modern world, 19th -century global economy, colonialism, and colonial cities, industrialization, resources and development, types of resources, agriculture, water, mineral resources, industries, national economy; Human Settlements Power-sharing, federalism, political parties, democracy, the constitution of India Economic development- economic sectors, globalisation, the concept of development, poverty; Population structure, social exclusion, and inequality, urbanization, rural development, colonial cities.
- Thinking Skills: Comprehension (unseen passage); map reading skills, scale, distance, direction, area, etc.; critical reasoning; understanding of charts, graphs and tables; basic concepts of statistics and quantitative reasoning.
Some useful books for B. Planning as per the latest JEE Main Syllabus 2021
- Algebra- Arihant
- Differential Calculus- Arihant
- Integral Calculus- Arihant
- Vector and 3D Geometry- Arihant Prakashan
Difference in JEE Main and JEE Advanced Syllabus
A majority of topics in both the exams are common but as you will go through the syllabus of JEE Main and JEE Advanced, you will find that topics related to practical in Physics and Chemistry are included in the JEE Advanced Syllabus. There are many topics that are included in JEE Main but not in JEE Advanced and vice-versa.
JEE Main Syllabus
- Syllabus of JEE Main comprises the syllabus of CBSE class 11 and 12 Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics subjects.
- Topics like Electronic Devices, Electromagnetic Waves and Communication Systems are included in JEE main but are not asked in JEE Advanced.
- Similarly, some of the topics of Mathematics like Sets, Relations and Functions, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometry and Mathematical Reasoning are included in JEE Main but not in JEE Advanced.
- When it comes to chemistry, topics like biomolecules and chemistry in everyday life are included in JEE Main but not in JEE Advanced syllabus.
- The exam conducting authority, NTA has laid down the complete Syllabus of JEE Main 2021.
JEE Advanced Syllabus
- Unlike JEE main, it includes few extra topics apart from class 12th syllabus.
- JEE main does not include some of the topics of JEE Advanced like Thermal Physics is included in JEE Advanced but is not asked in JEE main.
- Similarly, Electrochemistry is included in JEE Advanced but not in JEE main. Check JEE Advanced Syllabus
- Mostly questions in JEE Advanced are derivation based. Whereas, Questions in JEE Main are application based.
JEE Main Syllabus 2021 FAQs
Ques. Can there be a reduction in JEE Main 2021 Syllabus?
Ans. There were speculations on JEE Main Syllabus reduction considering CBSE and other state boards’ step of 30% syllabus reduction for class XI and XII, for the academic year 2020-21. JEE Main Exam Pattern has been revised by NTA in light of the issue of syllabus variation. Physics, Chemistry, and Maths will now have 30 questions each. All three of these subjects will have two sections. Section A will contain 20 MCQs and Section B will contain 10 Numerical value answer based questions. Candidates have to attempt any five questions out of 10 in section B.There is no change in JEE Main Syllabus this year.
Ques. Is the syllabus for JEE Main and JEE Advanced the same or different?
Ans. Applicants must note that the JEE Advanced syllabus is not the same as that of JEE Main. Candidates can check the differences between the syllabus of JEE Main and JEE Advanced as mentioned below:
- Topics not included in JEE Advanced: Sets, Mathematical Induction, Statistics, Mathematical reasoning.
- Topics included in JEE Advanced: Harmonic Progressions.
- Topics not included in JEE Advanced: Semiconductors and Communication systems, Magnetism and Matter, Diffraction, Bulk modulus and modulus of rigidity, and Polarisation.
- Topics included in JEE Advanced: Bohr’s Model.
- Topics not included in JEE Advanced: F Block elements, Hydrogen, Environmental Chemistry, and Chemistry in everyday life.
- Topics included in JEE Advanced: Normality and equivalent weight.
Ques. Is studying Physics from H.C Verma good enough for JEE Main 2021?
Ans. If you complete H.C Verma part 1 and 2 both, you will be decently prepared for JEE Main Physics. Since JEE Main focuses more on basic concepts and their applications, a book like H.C Verma works quite well for this exam. However, it is not recommended to study and practice from only one book. Take a few mock tests in order to find out your weak areas so you can then know which other books to use to cover those weaknesses.
Ques. Is JEE Main syllabus same for Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3? What is the syllabus for each individual paper?
Ans. The Syllabus for JEE Main is different dor all 3 papers with Paper 1 concentrating on Maths, Physics and Chemistry, Paper 2 on Architecture and Paper 3 on Planning. JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 is mainly of topics covered in Class XI & XII as that of CBSE. For Paper 2, JEE Main Syllabus comprises of Mathematics, Aptitude and a drawing test as well. The Paper 3 of JEE Main is of Mathematics, Aptitude and Planning-based questions.
Ques. Is the JEE Main 2021 Syllabus the same as for Class XII of CBSE?
Ans. The syllabus for JEE Main Exam is on similar lines with that of Class XII of CBSE. Along with that, a few additional topics from Class XI are also included in the syllabus when it comes to Paper I of JEE Mains.
Ques. Is JEE Main tough?
Ans. Lakhs of candidates appear for JEE Main every year, the exam is a gateway to top engineering colleges in the country. The level of difficulty of the exam can not be underestimated mainly because of the high level of competition. But with a proper plan, accurate resources and dedication, one can definitely make it to the required rank range.
Ques. Will the JEE Main 2021 syllabus have questions from Class XI also?
Ans. JEE Main consists of a syllabus that covers topics from Class XI and XII both. So, a lot of chapters from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics become equally vital both for Boards and the JEE Main Exam from both the classes.
Ques. What are the important topics in JEE Main Paper 1?
Ans. The topics vital for Paper 1 in JEE Main are listed below:
- Physics: Current Electricity & Heat Transfer, Dimensional Analysis, Gravitation & Electro-statistics, Geometrical Optics, Waves & Sounds, Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory of Gases and Rotational Dynamics and Electromagnetic Induction.
- Chemistry: Mole concept & the concept of equivalents, Redox reactions, Electrochemistry, Thermodynamics, and Chemical Equilibrium, Carbonyl Compounds & their derivatives, Coordination chemistry, Chemical bonding, and Qualitative analysis.
- Mathematics: Inverse Trigonometric Functions, Circles, and Family of Circles, Sequence, and Series, Probability, Vectors, Quadratic equations and expressions, Complex numbers, Matrices, Hyperbola in coordinate geometry, Parabola; Functions, Continuity & Differentiability, Limits, Application of derivatives and Definite integral in calculus.
Ques. Can I crack JEE Main without coaching?
Ans. The need for a coaching center to go about the preparation is totally subjective and depends upon the student’s caliber and preference. Coaching centers can provide you with a direction through their guidance and can bring regularity in the study pattern. Your performance will also be constantly analyzed, helping you improve. On the other hand, self-study has its own advantages. You can save traveling time, energy and money. In the case of self-study, be very focused during school lectures and take help from your school teachers for doubt clarification.
Ques. What is the weightage of JEE Main Kinematics Questions?
Ans. Kinematics is an essential very chapter not only because its weight age is high but also because it is the most basic chapter of mechanics and can be applied in almost any topic of physics. Candidates must make sure that they have conceptual clarity when it comes to Kinematics.
Ques. How do I complete the JEE Main syllabus in 6 months?
Ans. It is not easy to complete the syllabus of an exam like JEE Main in 6 months. However with hardwork and correct planning, it is possible:
- Practice from Standard books like HC VERMA Etc. Don’t run after the quantity but towards the quality.
- Focus more on Previous Year Questions of IIT JEE.
- Chemistry: NCERT most important. Other than that, for reference, use OP Tandon, MS Chouhan, Pradeeps, Morrison and Boyd, Himanshu Pandey, P Bahadur, SN Sanyal etc
- Maths: Start with NCERT, RD Sharma. Then go ahead with A Das Gupta, MCQ in Maths, and then previous year questions from Arihant 39 years.
- Physics: Start with HC Verma. Then go ahead with IIT JEE Questions directly. However if you have time left after doing previous years questions then you can solve Irodov, Resnick, Krotov and so on and so forth. Also other books from Arihant and GRB are good to be referred to.
- Practice previous year JEE Main questions many times. Practice them thoroughly.
- Solve other people’s doubts. These will help you score better. Many questions ask only basic concepts but a good clarity in them which will subsequently come with practice.
Ques. What are the important topics for JEE Main 2021 Paper 2?
Ans. JEE Main 2021 Paper 2 syllabus consists of topics from Aptitude, Mathematics, and Drawing-based problems. The entire syllabus has to be studied by the candidates to ensure good ranks in the entrance examination. The important topics for JEE Main 2021 Paper 2 are listed below:
- Harmony, Colour texture, and Contrast
- Three dimensional – perception and appreciation of scale and proportion of building forms, objects, and elements
- Design and drawing of abstract or geometrical shapes and patterns in pencil
- Transformation of forms both 2D and 3D union, Subtraction, Development of surfaces and volumes, Rotation, Elevations, Generation of Plan, and 3D views of objects
- Sketching of imaginary scenes and activities
- Creating 2D and 3D compositions using given forms and shapes
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.