KVPY 2018 Dates, Application, Syllabus and Result
KVPY 2018 (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana 2018) is a national level examination conducted by IISc Bangalore. The exam is held for students of exceptional talent who can pursue basic science courses and seek research career in science. The notification for KVPY 2018 is expected on July 16, 2018, whereas the exam will be conducted on November 5, 2018.
The exam has two sections Part I and Part II with a total weightage of 100 marks to be solved in 3 hours. The question paper will be in both English and Hindi. Check the article below to know complete details of KVPY 2018.
KVPY Exam Highlights
|Exam||KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana)|
|Conducting Authority||IISc, Bangalore (Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore)|
|Streams||SA, SB and SX|
|Exam Centers||54 Cities across|
|Exam Date||November 05, 2018|
|Number of Qualified candidates||SA- 75|
DOWNLOAD FREE KVPY PREVIOUS QUESTION PAPERS PDF
KVPY 2018 Schedule
The notification for KVPY 2018 will be released in July 2018. The application form will also be available at the same time. The complete schedule for KVPY 2018 has been tabulated below:
|Initial Notification for KVPY 2018 will be released in||July 16, 2018|
|KVPY Application Form will be available from||July 16, 2018|
|Last Date to submit the KVPY Application Form||August 23, 2018|
|Last date to submit Application fee||August 30, 2018|
|KVPY Admit Card will be available from||October 15, 2018|
|KVPY Exam is scheduled for||November 05, 2018|
|KVPY Result will be declared on||Third Week of December 2018|
|KVPY Interview will be scheduled in||Third week of January 2019|
Eligibility Requirements for KVPY 2018
- Only Indian Nationals are eligible to appear for KVPY 2018.
- Candidates who apply after class XI are eligible to apply for SA Stream however if the candidates apply after XII, they can apply for SX Stream.
- For SB Stream those pursuing undergraduate program in basic sciences will be eligible, however, they must be in the 1st year of the program.
- The minimum marks required for SA Stream is 80% marks (70% for reserved categories) in class X and 60% (50% for SC/ST) in class XII.
- For SX Stream, candidates must have scored 80% marks (70% marks for SC/ST) in class X and 60% aggregate (50% for reserved categories) in class XII.
- For SB Stream, candidates must have secured 60% aggregate marks (50% marks for SC/ST) in Science Subjects in class XII.
- They must also secure 60% marks (50% marks for SC/ST) in the final examination of 1st year of the education program.
Read DetailedKVPY 2018 Eligibility
How to Fill KVPY 2018 Application Form
Candidates have to undergo an online KVPY Application Process post fulfillment of the Eligibility of KVPY. The application form will be available on July 16, 2018 onwards at kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
The steps to fill KVPY 2018 Application Form are:
Registration and Form Filling
- Visit the official and register as a new user by mentioning Name, date of birth, stream, nationality etc.
- Enter the captcha and click on submit.
- You will receive User ID and Password to registered E-mail ID or mobile number.
- Login with user ID and password and fill the personal details such as father’s name, mother’s name etc. correctly.
- Enter academic qualification as per the stream chosen in the academic details tab.
Uploading Images and Center Preference
- Mention three different choices of KVPY 2018 Exam center in the order of preference in the space provided.
- Click on the link to upload the photograph, signature and caste certificate (if applicable).
- Browse the image from its location and click on Open or Upload.
Note: Photograph and Signature must be in JPEG format and maximum size of the image must be 80 Kb. Caste Certificate must be in PDF format with maximum size 300 Kb.
Preview, Editing and Submission
- Click on Preview Application and verify the information in the application form.
- Edit the incorrect information provided (if applicable)
- Click on submit after making the necessary changes.
- General and OBC category candidates have to remit a fee of INR 1000 while SC/ST category candidates have to pay INR 500.
- It can be paid through either online or offline mode.
- In case of online mode (credit card/debit card/net banking), enter card number/account number, the validity of the card, CVV or special PIN.
- In case of offline payment, download the e-challan and deposit the fee in cash at nearest SBI branch.
- Upload the challan after payment and click on submit.
Test Centers for KVPY 2018
- Candidates will mention their choice of KVPY Test centers for the Aptitude Test in KVPY 2018 Application Form.
- The allocating authority of the KVPY Exam Center is IISc.
- Three choices of KVPY Test centers in the order of preference are entered in the application form.
- Candidates have to choose among 54 test cities as per their convenience.
How to Download KVPY 2018 Admit Card
Candidates can download KVPY Admit Card from October 15 onwards. The exam will be conducted in across 54 exam centers pan-India.
- KVPY Admit Card is available on the official website of KVPY.
- Candidates are required to report the discrepancies found in the KVPY Admit Card to the Facilitation Center of KVPY.
The steps to download the KVPY Admit Card are mentioned below:
- Go to the official website of KVPY and click on the link to download the admit card.
- Enter Registration ID and Password and click on Submit.
- The admit card will appear on the computer screen.
- Check all the details and download it on an A-4 Size sheet.
Paper Pattern for KVPY 2018
The exam pattern for KVPY 2018 expects no change this year. The paper is conducted in two stages- Aptitude Test and Interview Session of selected students. The details of KVPY 2018 Exam Pattern for SA, SB and SX stream have been given below.
1 mark (Part 1), 2 mark (Part 2)
Each Correct Answer will be awarded 4 marks
-1/4 mark (Part 1), ½ mark (Part 2)
1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer.
KVPY 2018 is computer based test
Questions will be of objective type
60 (Part 1), 20 (Part 2)
There are 80 questions in KVPY
For SA Stream
- Both Part I and Part II comprise 4 sections namely Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- The part one contains 15 questions in each section and Part II contains 5 questions in each section.
For SB/SX Stream
- Both Part I and Part II contain 4 sections namely Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- Part 1 contains 20 questions in each section and Part II comprises 10 questions in each section.
Paper Analysis for Previous Year KVPY Exam
Revision of basic topics from the NCERT books thoroughly is the major key to crack KVPY 2018. Given below is the KVPY SA Review of last year:
- SA Stream KVPY Exam was moderate, tricky and time-consuming. Mathematics and Physics section was easy while Chemistry was moderate.
- Important Topics in Physics- Physics section had around 14 questions which were found to be easy and direct. This section had most questions from Optics and Mechanics.
- Important Topics in Chemistry- Most of the questions from this section were moderate (14 questions). Dominating topics in this stream were Mole concept, Physical Chemistry (Class XI) and Organic Chemistry (Class XII)
- Important Topics in Mathematics- Mathematics section holds 25% weightage of the exam and had 13 easy questions. The most important topics in this section were Coordinate Geometry and Straight Line.
SB/SX stream KVPY exam has a similar pattern and preparation strategy. Given below is last year KVPY SB/SX Review
- SB Stream KVPY Exam was easy to moderate. Mathematics was found to be the most difficult section in the exam. Physics and Chemistry were easy while Biology was moderate.
- Important topics in Physics- Physics section had 21 easy questions out of the 40. Electrodynamics, Optics and Mechanics were the most important topics in the exam.
- Important Topics in Chemistry- Chemistry section was found to be the easiest of all the sections in the exam. There were around 18 easy questions. Most of the questions were from Inorganic Chemistry (Class XII), Organic Chemistry (Class XII) and Physical Chemistry (Class XI)
- Important Topics in Mathematics- Maths was the trickiest section in the exam as claimed by the students. It had 19 difficult questions. Dominating topics in this section were Calculus (Differential and Integral), Definite Integration and Binomial Theorem
- Important Topics in Biology- Biology section was moderate in the exam with 32 questions of moderate difficulty level. Molecular Genetics and Biomolecules were the most important topics in the exam.
Recommended Books for KVPY 2018
Candidates have to prepare according to the KVPY Syllabus and topics given in it. Cracking the KVPY Exam and seeking the KVPY Scholarship isn’t everyone’s piece of cake. Candidates are required to practice well for the KVPY Exam from the KVPY Sample Papers. The list of important books for the preparation of the KVPY Exam is given below:
|Physics||Fundamentals of Physics by David Hally|
|Concepts of Physics by DC Pandey|
|Chemistry||Modern ABC of Chemistry by Modern Publishers|
|NCERT Physical and Organic Chemistry by OP Tandon|
|Mathematics||Mathematics for Class 11 by RD Sharma|
|NCERT Class 11 and Class 12|
|Biology||Elementary Biology by Trueman|
|NCERT Books class 11 and Class 12|
How to Check KVPY 2018 Result
KVPY Result for Aptitude Test will be declared on the official website of KVPY in the third week of December 2018 for the first stage. Result for Interview of qualified candidates will be announced post interview sessions.
- Candidates can predict their KVPY Result through the official KVPY Answer Key.
- Post declaration of KVPY Result for Aptitude Test, the candidates are called for KVPY Interview.
- KVPY Result for Interview will be declared in the month of March 2019.
Steps to check final KVPY 2018 Result are as follows:
- Go to the official website of KVPY.
- Click on Results Tab, you will be redirected to a new window.
- Enter Application Number and Date of Birth.
- Click on “Continue”
- Your result will be displayed on the screen.
KVPY 2018 Cut off
Candidates have to score the minimum marks as per KVPY Cut off generated after the declaration of KVPY Result. Candidates are selected on the basis of their performance in both Aptitude Test and Interview.
KVPY Scholarship is offered to candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks set by the IISc in the KVPY Cutoff.
The previous year KVPY Cut offs have been tabulated below:
KVPY Cut Off 2017
KVPY Cut Off 2016
Read About KVPY Cutoff
KVPY 2018 Selection Process
KVPY 2018 Selection Process is done in two stages- Aptitude Test and Interview.
- KVPY Merit List is prepared by considering the scores obtained by the candidate in the Aptitude test and Interview.
- The evaluation is based on 75% marks of Aptitude test and 25% of performance in interview.
- The details about the Aptitude Test and Interview is given below:
- The aptitude test is conducted in online mode.
- Candidates are evaluated on the reasoning and candidate’s analytical abilities.
- KVPY Exam comprises of two major sections and there are four sub sections for each section.
- Candidates are required to obtain a total of 75% marks out of the total weightage.
- Candidates must carefully attempt the questions as attempting all the questions is compulsory.
- Candidates are required to attempt any three sections in Part I and any two sections of Part II for SB/SX stream only.
- Candidates are called for the interview after declaration of KVPY Result for Aptitude test.
- The shortlisted candidates are allocated a venue of the interview as per the KVPY Test Center allocated to them.
- Interview is primarily conducted to gather additional information on each finalist applicant with regard to his/her knowledge, abilities and aptitude etc. in the field of science and research.
- Candidates must prepare few introductory questions as they can be asked to introduce themselves by the jury.
- There is a round of questions based on current affairs and subjects studied by the candidates namely physics, chemistry, mathematics or biology.
The candidates can avail a scholarship to enroll for the Basic Sciences undergraduate program. The candidates can avail the fellowship monthly for the courses they opt for. The table below mentions the details of the KVPY Scholarship offered to various candidates:
|Basic Sciences||Monthly Fellowship||Annual Contingency Grant|
|SA/SX/SB- during 1st to 3rd years of- B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||INR 5000||INR 20000|
|SA/SX/SB- during M.Sc./4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc./M.S||INR 7000||INR 28000|
KVPY Overview FAQs
Ques. What is KVPY?
Ans. KVPY is a national level examination conducted by IISc to provide scholarship to 11th and 12th class students. This exam is for science students.
Ques. How can apply for KVPY 2018?
Ans. You can apply only online on the official website of KVPY i.e. http://www.kvpy.org.in/.
Ques. When will the registrations for KVPY 2018 start?
Ans. The online registrations for KVPY 2018 will start from the 2nd week of July 2018.
Ques. What is the last date of application?
Ans. The students will be able to apply for KVPY exam till the 3rd week of August 2018.
Ques. When can I download my admit card for the KVPY 2018 exam?
Ans. You can download your admit card from the official website in the 2nd week of October 2018.
Ques. When will be the KVPY 2018 exam held?
Ans. The KVPY 2018 is scheduled for the first week of November 2018.
Ques. When will be the results for KVPY 2018 declared?
Ans. The results will be declared in the 1st week of December 2018.
Ques. When will the interview round start?
Ans. Interview round for KVPY 2018 will be held in the 3rd week of January 2019.
Ques. What is the Application Fee for KVPY 2018?
Ans. The application fee for KVPY 2018 is Rs. 1000 for candidates of General category & Rs. 500 for SC/ST/PwD category.
Ques. Can I submit the fee for KVPY through challan?
Ans. Yes, you can submit the application fee through online (Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking) or offline (Challan) mode.
Ques. For what streams is KVPY 2018 conducted and what is their eligibility criterion?
Ans. Various exams conducted by KVPY along with their eligibility criterion are as follows- 1. Stream SA: Candidates who have passed Class 11th (science stream) can apply for this exam. Minimum Marks: Candidates have to pass class 10th with Mathematics & Science subjects & secure minimum 80% marks (70% marks for SC/ST/PwD) in aggregate. 2. Stream SX: Candidates who have passed class 12th with Mathematics & Science subjects (PCB) can apply for this exam. Minimum Marks: Candidates have to score minimum 60% marks (50% for SC/ST/PwD) in aggregate in Science subjects (PCB) in Class 12th. Candidates also have to obtain at least 80% marks (70% marks in case of SC/ST/PwD) in aggregate in class 10th. 3. Stream SB: Candidates who have enrolled in 1st year of the UG programme in Basic Science (Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology) leading to B.Sc/BS/B.Math./B.Stat./MS/Int. M.Sc) can apply for this exam. Minimum Marks: Candidates have to score at least 60% marks (50% marks in case of SC/ST/PwD category) in 10+2 examination.
Ques. What is the syllabus for the written exam?
Ans. There is no prescribed syllabus for the exam but students are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./ B.S./ B.Stat./ B.Math./ Int. M.Sc./ M.S. as applicable.
Ques. What is the pattern of the KVPY exam?
Ans. The KVPY exam will have multiple choice questions of 100 marks and the paper will have two sections i.e. PART I & PART II. The duration of the examination will be three hours.
Ques. What is the marking scheme for the exam?
Ans. Students will be awarded one mark for each correct answer in PART I and two marks for each correct answer in PART II.
Negative Marking: In PART I, 0.25 marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer and in PART II, 0.5 marks will be deducted for wrong response.
Ques. What is the mode of examination?
Ans. The exam will be conducted through online (computer based test) mode.
Ques. Can I attempt the exam in Hindi language?
Ans. Yes, you can attempt the exam in either English or Hindi Language.
Ques. Can State board students participate in KVPY 2018?
Ans. Yes, State board students can apply for KVPY 2018.
Ques. Is it necessary that the students have to study all the four subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics?
Ans. All questions are compulsory (Science and Mathematics) for Stream-SA. For streams SB and SX , there will be four sections in Part I (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics) and four sections in Part II (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics) and all the students have to select any 3 of the 4 subjects in Part I and any 2 of the 4 subjects in Part II.
Ques. When will I be finally eligible for the scholarship based KVPY program?
Ans. All the students will be finally eligible for the scholarship based KVPY program after successfully clearing the interview round.
Ques. What are the important Documents required at the time of Interview?
Ans. Candidates have to bring the following documents at the time of interview-
- Interview call letter
- KVPY 2018 Interview Call Letter
- KVPY 2018 Admit Card
- 10th & 12th Original Marks Sheet
- Category Certificate
- A Self-Appraisal form
- Study certificate form
Ques. Can I avail the KVPY Fellowship along with a merit scholarship?
Ans. KVPY does not allow its Fellows to be eligible for any other scholarship apart from its own, whether it is government or private. However, if there is any such case, they relinquish the other fellowship so that the student can avail the KVPY Fellowship.
Ques. Are calculators allowed in KVPY exam?
Ans. No, you cannot take the calculators to the exam centre but virtual calculators will be made available to you at the exam centres.
Ques. Are calculators allowed in KVPY exam?
Ans. No, you cannot take the calculators to the exam centre but virtual calculators will be made available to you at the exam centres.
Ques. Where can I contact KVPY in case of any query?
Ans. In case of any query, you can call on 080 - 22932975/76, 080- 23601008 & 080 - 22933536 or email at email@example.com.
Ques. Tell me about the fellowship program?
Ans. The fellowship program will be of 5 years in which fellows will get a monthly stipend of Rs 5000 and Annual Contingency Grant of Rs 20,000 during 1st to 3rd years of - B.Sc./B.S./B. Stat./B. Math. / Integrated M.Sc. /M.S. The fellows will get a monthly stipend of Rs 7000 and Annual Contingency Grant of Rs 28,000 during M. Sc. / 4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S./M.Math./M.Stat.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College