IISc, Bangalore has announced KVPY exam pattern for SA, SX and SB streams. The exam pattern of KVPY includes details about the aptitude test such as type of questions, number of questions, duration of test, marking scheme, and sections covered among others. KVPY 2018 will be conducted by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore on November 4, 2018.
- As per KVPY exam pattern 2018, the exam is held in the Computer Based Test (CBT) mode and students can choose between English and Hindi mediums for answering the paper.
- There will be questions from Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology which have to be answered within a duration of 3 hours.
KVPY Exam Pattern Highlights
|Exam Name||KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana)|
|Conducting Authority||Indian Institute of Science|
|Streams||SA, SB, and SX|
|Exam Centres||54 Centers Pan India|
|Exam Date||November 4, 2018|
|Nationality||Citizen of India|
|Category||KVPY Exam Pattern|
KVPY Exam Pattern 2018
Here we are providing the exam pattern of KVPY 2018 examination:
- Exam Mode: The aptitude test will be conducted through online (Computer Based Test) mode.
- Date & Shift: It will be organized on November 4, 2018. It will be started from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM for Stream SA. For Stream SB/SX, the exam will begin from 2 PM to 5 PM.
- Medium of Question Paper: The question paper will be asked both in English & Hindi Language.
- Type of Questions: It is a multiple choice type question paper. All the questions are compulsory to attempt in Stream SA. There is an option to attempt any three sections in PART I & any two sections in PART II in Stream SB/SX.
- Duration of Exam: The duration of the aptitude test will be three hours.
- Sections: The question paper will contain two sections: PART I & PART II. There will be four sections in PART I & PART II.
- Total Marks: The question paper will consist of 100 marks.
Below we have given the subject wise exam pattern for all streams:
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|PART I||PART II|
KVPY SA/SB/SX Subject List
All the SA/SB/SX candidates who are pursuing the undergraduate course in Basic Science like B.Sc./B.Math. / M.Sc. / M.S. / B.Tech./B.S./ B.Stat. / Int. M.Sc. must be taking the course in the following subjects:
|Human Biology||Molecular Biology|
|Life Science||Biomedical Science|
KVPY Syllabus 2018
There is no prescribed syllabus for the aptitude test. The aptitude test aims to test the understanding and analytical ability of the student than his/her factual knowledge. However, students are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. as applicable.
Stream SA Syllabus:
The syllabus of KVPY exam for Stream SA covers all the topics & chapters of Class X & XI. The syllabus of Stream A is given here:
- Physics: Magnetic Effects of Current, Sources of Energy, Reflection, Refraction, Electromagnetic Induction, Applications in Daily Life, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Physical World and Measurement, Gravitation, Thermodynamics.
- Chemistry: Chemical Reactions, Metals and Non-Metals, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon Compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Environmental Chemistry.
- Biology: Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Heridity and Evolution, Reproduction, Life Processes, Our environment, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Human Physiology.
- Mathematics: Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Statistics, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Surface Areas & Volumes, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions.
Stream SX Syllabus:
Stream SX syllabus comprises from the Class X, XI & XII chapters & topics. The syllabus is mentioned here:
- Physics:Thermodynamics, Electrostatics, Refraction, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Magnetic Effects of Current, Reflection of Light, Electromagnetic Induction, Kinematics, Work, Energy and Power, Sources of Energy, Physical World and Measurement, Gravitation, Laws of Motion
- Chemistry:Chemical Reactions, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Periodic Classification of Elements, Surface Chemistry, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Metals and Nonmetals, Carbon Compounds, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Biology:Human Physiology, Biology and Human Welfare, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Ecology and Environment, Cell: Structure and Function, Genetics and Evolution, Life Processes, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Reproduction
- Mathematics:Trigonometric Functions, Geometry, Linear Programming, Vectors and 3D Geometry, Calculus, Relations and Functions, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Real Number, Polynomials, Introduction to Trigonometry, Surface Areas and Volumes, Statistics and Quadratic Equations, Probability, Statistics and Probability
Stream SB Syllabus:
In Stream SB, the KVPY exam covers all the corresponding syllabus of Class 10th/12th/1st year of UG course. The topics & chapters of Stream SB syllabus is here:
- Physics: Electromagnetic Induction, Physical World and Measurement, Sources of Energy, Refraction, Applications in Daily Life, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Magnetic Effects of Current, Work, Energy and Power, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Reflection, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Waves & Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Electrostatics, Thermal Physics .
- Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Metals and Non-Metals, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Surface Chemistry, Chemical Bonding, Chemistry of Noble Gases, Structure & Bonding, Alkenes, Cycloalkenes, Dienes and Alkynes .
- Biology: Life Processes, Human Physiology, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Genetics and Evolution, Our Environment, Ecology and Environment, Plant Physiology, Reproduction, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Biology and Human Welfare, Biotechnology, Genetics.
- Mathematics: Statistics, Surface Areas & Volumes, Vectors and 3-D Geometry, Calculus, Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions, Linear Programming, Relations and Functions., Analytical Geometry in Two Dimensions, Vector Algebra, Evaluation of Integrals.
How to Prepare for KVPY Scholarship?
For any examination, it is necessary to prepare well to get the good score in the examination. Candidates should check this article for tips & tricks to qualify the examination.
- Preparation Strategy: Candidates must plan strategy before starting the preparation it will save their time and energy and help them to stay focus.
- Work on Weakness & Strength: Candidates are advised to explore their weakness and strength it will help them to figure out where to put necessary efforts and which areas require more polishing.
- Choose Right Study Material: Choosing correct study material is very important candidates must choose the study material very carefully and should check the review for same beforehand.
- Practice Sample Papers: This is the best way to prepare for any examination. Practicing KVPY Previous Year Sample Papers help the candidate to improve his/her time management skill and also give the idea about the important and scoring topics.
- Be Confident & Positive: Confidence and positivity are the keys to success. Candidates must stay confident about them and should remain positive throughout the course of time and focus on the areas/topics that they are good at rather than focusing on their weakness.
Recommended Books for KVPY 2018
- These books cover the wholeKVPY Syllabus with appropriate and accurate study material.
- Study materials and books are also available online that could be easily downloaded for free.
- Here is the list of prime KVPY Books required for preparations:
|Physics||Concept of Physics||DC Pandey|
|Fundamentals of Physics||David Halliday, Robert Resnick and Jearl Walker|
|Mathematics||Mathematics for class XI||RD Sharma; Publisher: Dhanpat|
|Chemistry||NCERT Organic and Physical Chemistry||O.P Tandon|
|Modern ABC of Chemistry for class XI||Modern Publishers|
|Biology||Elementary Biology – Volume 1||K.N Bhatia and M.P. Tyagi; Publisher: Trueman|
KVPY Preparation Tips for Interview
After the KVPY examination, KVPY Result are released within 45 days. However, passing the examination is not the only step towards the goals. Qualifying candidates get enlisted for the KVPY interview, which is also an integral part of the selection process. In fact, marks of written test and interview are taken into consideration for the final selection of a candidate.
AREAS OF FOCUS FOR KVPY INTERVIEW
In order to crack the KVPY interview, it is very important for students to focus on certain important areas, which include:
- Presence of mind
- Logical reasoning
- Conceptual perception and understanding of the core subjects – Mathematic, Physics, and Chemistry
- Confidence, expression and alertness
- Soft skills
- Extra-curricular activities and participation
- General etiquettes and body language
- Capability of a candidate to brief and explain in crisp way
- Knowledge of non-academic subjects
- Academic clarity and theoretical knowledge
KNOW ANSWERS TO BASIC QUESTIONS
Though one cannot really judge the actual questions, however, most interviewers ask some general questions listed below. Write the answers for these; prepare well and practice before the mirror in loud voice or in front of a good friend or in an empty room, so as to perform well. You can expect further questions to emerge from your answers to these basic questions, so be intelligent during your preparations.
- Tell me about yourself (Give brief and correct details of personal details, attitude and aptitude)
- Tell me about your family and friends (Briefly give an idea about your cultural and social behaviour)
- Tell us about your hobbies (Answer something that you are really good at as you can expect more questions about your hobby. Do not lie, be honest. After all, a hobby is a hobby)
Note: Do expect technical questions related to academic concepts to test your analytical skills and grip on the subjects.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College