As per NEET Physics Exam Pattern, there will be 45 questions in the entrance exam in which 4 marks will be given for each correct response whereas, 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer. Moreover, the physics syllabus will be comprised of six units from class 11th and class 12th physics syllabus. Read Here NEET Physics Syllabus
Medical Aspirants wishing to pursue MBBS, BDS, or other medical courses must know NEET 2021 Exam Pattern as well as Syllabus. Read the article to know the detailed exam pattern of physics, marking scheme, weightage, and much more.
NEET 2021 Physics Exam Pattern Highlights
|Mode of the exam||Offline|
|Total Time duration||3 Hours|
|Number of Questions||45 Questions|
|Medium||English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, Kannada, Oriya, Assamese and Urdu|
|Marking scheme||+4 for each correct answer -1 for incorrect answer|
NEET Physics Exam Pattern 2021
- NEET Physics is a 3 hour long pen & paper based(offline) test.
- The Total Marks in NEET Physics are 180 and the total number of questions is 45.
Type of Questions:
NEET Physics will consist of Objective type or Multiple Choice Questions.
It carries 4 marks each. Every question will have 4 choices out of which only 1 option will be the correct answer.
Medium of Question Paper:
NEET 2021 will be conducted in 11 different languages. As per the preference of the candidate, he/she can opt for any of the following languages mentioned below:
|Medium of the exam||Exam Centre|
|English||All exam cities/centres|
|Tamil||Available only in exam centres in Tamil Nadu|
|Kannada||Available only in exam centres in Karnataka|
|Gujarati||Available only in exam centres in Gujarat, Daman, Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|Marathi||Available only in exam centres in Maharashtra|
|Assamese||Available only in exam centres in Assam|
|Hindi||All exam cities/centres|
|Telugu||Available only in exam centres in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana|
|Oriya||Available only in exam centres in Orissa|
|English and Urdu||Available only in exam centres|
|Bengali||Available only in exam centres in West Bengal|
Marking scheme for NEET Physics
The question paper consists of 45 questions in which total marks are 180.
Each correct answer will be given four marks.
One mark will be deducted for every incorrect response
Zero mark will be deducted for unattempted questions
Questions that have two or more responses marked in the OMR sheet will be considered as incorrect and negative marking will be applicable.
|Subject||Total Marks||Number of questions||Marking Scheme|
|Physics||180||45||+4 marks will be awarded for each correct response -1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect response|
Important Topics for NEET Physics
- NEET Physics comprises six major units from class 11th and class 12th physics syllabus. Most of the students find this subject as the toughest among the other two subjects because it consists of a wide variety of numerical problems, theoretical and application-based concepts.
- Solving numerical questions in physics can turn out to be a nightmare for many students as a result they generally avoid its practice and accordingly they prioritize their focus on other subjects with which they are unable to score well in NEET Physics that ultimately results in the lowering of their final NEET score.
Candidates can refer to the important topics given below:
Electronic Devices (Semiconductor Electronics)
Dual Nature Of Radiation
Electric Charges and Fields
NEET 2021 Physics Chapter-wise Weightage
This section is majorly divided in five sections that are Mechanics, Heat & Thermodynamics, Electrostatistics & Magnetism, Current Electricity Electromagnetic Induction, Optics & Modern Physics. Therefore candidates can check the number of expected questions asked from the topics of class 11th and class 12th.
|Topics of Class 11th||Number of expected questions||Topics of Class 12th||Number of expected questions|
|Physical-world and measurement||1||Magnetism & Matter||2|
|Work,Energy & Power||2||Current Electricity||2|
|Rotational Motion||3||Electric Charges & Fields||1|
|Gravitation||1||Electric Potential & Capacitance||2|
|Laws of Motion||2||Moving Charges & Magnetism||2|
|Oscillations||2||Atoms & Nuclei||2|
|Mechanics of Solids & Fluids||2||Alternating Currents||1|
|Thermal Properties||1||Electromagnetic Induction||1|
|Kinetic Theory of Gases||2||Dual Nature of Radiation||3|
Distribution of questions as per Chapters
|Chapters||Number of expected questions|
|Optics and Modern Physics||10|
|Electricity and Magnetism||13|
|Properties of Bulk matters and Heat (Other)||7|
Physics chapters based on the difficulty level and weightage
|Weightage : Low Difficulty level: Easy|
|Units and Dimensions||Oscillations|
|Thermal Properties of Matter, Calorimetry and Kinetic Theory of Gases||Motion in 2 dimensions and projectile motion|
|Photo-electric effect and electromagnetic waves||Electro statistics|
|Work energy and power||Center of Mass and Momentum Conservation (Collision)|
|Nuclear Physics and Radioactivity||Experimental Physics|
|Weightage: Medium Difficulty Level: Medium|
|Motion in one dimension||Circular motion|
|Newton’s Law of motion||Heat Transfer|
|Atomic structure in Modern Physics||Semiconductors and Communication System|
|Gravitation||Classical Magnetism and Magnetic Properties of Matter|
|Waves and sounds||Properties of matter and fluid mechanics|
|Weightage: High Difficulty Level: High|
|Ray optics||Rotational Motion|
|Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating current||Laws of Thermodynamics|
|Magnetic Effects of Current||Current Electricity|
|Semiconductors and Communication system||Classical Magnetism and Magnetic Properties of Matter|
Some Important Books for Physics
Concepts of Physics Vol I and II by H.C. Verma
Fundamental Physics by Sandeep
Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick & Walker
Paper Analysis for NEET Physics
In Physics, the most important topic is Mechanics and carries the maximum weightage. Topics that are included in Electrodynamics will offer students with 9-10 questions. The difficulty level of this section will be higher in accordance with the exam pattern. Maximum questions involved on this subject comprise lengthy calculations.
- In 2019, NEET Physics section wa moderate in terms of difficulty and length. Many questions were formula based.
- Most of the questions were from NCERT syllabus, around 60% of the NEET paper to be precise.
- Questions were asked from class 11 and 12 equally from the topics namely- Mechanics and modern Physics dominated with around 50% of the section.
- Questions asked from topics such as Magnetic Effect of Current and Current Electricity were easy.
Note: In order to meet NEET Cut off and qualified score, it is important that candidates must prioritize the topics carrying high weightage. The major topics from which the maximum questions asked are- Wave optics, Electrodynamics, Modern Physics, KTG & Thermodynamics, Semi-conductors.
Chapter-wise Analysis for NEET Physics
|Name of the Unit||Number of Questions||Weightage||Marks|
|Electrostatics and Capacitor||4||8.88%||16|
|Ray and Way Optics||4||8.88%||16|
|Properties of Matter||3||6.66%||12|
|Heat and Thermodynamics||3||6.66%||12|
|Magnetism, Magnetic Effect of current and AC||5||11.11%||20|
Sample Questions for NEET Physics
Ques. 100 joule of work is performed in carrying a charge of -5 coulomb from infinity to a particular point in a uniform electrostatic field. What is the potential of this point?
Answer: (C) -20 V
Ques. A copper wire is stretched to make it 0.2%. The percentage change in its resistivity is:
None of the above
Answer: D) None of the above
Ques. What is the value of an angle of dip at the magnetic equator?
Nearly 30 degree
Answer: A) 0 degree
Ques. A bar-magnet falls down through a conducting coil as shown in the figure given below. What is the acceleration of the bar magnet?
Less than g
Greater than g
Equal to g
Answer: (A) Less than g
Ques: The magnetic flux threading a coil changes from 12 Wb to 6 Wb in 1 second. The value of induced emf is:
Answer: (D) -6 volt
Ques: What is the principle behind thermocouple
Answer: (D) Seebeck effect
Ques.What does the internal resistance of a cell mean?
The electrolyte used in the cell
The resistance of the material used in the cell
The vessel of the cell
The electrodes of the cell
Answer: (A) The electrolyte used in the cell
Ques: Which of the following is the combination that is used in the formation of achromatic lenses?
2 Concave lenses
1 Convex and 1 plane mirror
2 Convex lenses
1 Concave and 1 convex lenses
Answer: (D) 1 Concave and 1 convex lenses
Download NEET Practice Papers
Important Instructions for Candidates
- It is mandatory for the candidates to bring the following items to the exam center such as Print out of NEET Admit card, A passport size photograph (as uploaded on NEET application form), a valid ID proof, PwD certificate (if applicable).
- The National Test Agency has prescribed a strict NEET dress code. All the NEET Aspirants appearing for the examination must follow the dress code.
- Aspirants should report at the appropriate test center at least one hour before the announcing time.
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination centre before the exam concludes. The OMR sheet has to be handed over to the invigilator before leaving the exam hall.
- Try not to take things that are prohibited inside, for example, mobile, pager, watch, etc. As the authority does not provide any facility of safekeeping.
- Ensure that the invigilator gives you a scribble pad for rough work.
- Don’t forget to mention the NEET registration number on the scribble pad.
- Check the NEET registration number on the scribble pad.
- All those candidates appearing for the entrance examination must ensure that the test booklet contains the same number of pages as mentioned on the cover of the test booklet.
NEET Physics Pattern FAQs
Ques: Is there any sectional time limit in NEET 2021?
Ans: No. There is no sectional time limit. Candidates will be given 3 hours to complete the paper and they easily move from one section to another.
Ques. Will NEET Physics have a descriptive question?
Ans. No, According to NEET Physics Exam Pattern, the examination will only have Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).
Ques: Will there be any negative marking in NEET Physics paper?
Ans: Yes. There is negative marking in NEET 2021. The detailed marking scheme is as follows:
Candidates will get 4 marks for every correct answer.
1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
0 mark will be rewarded for unattempted questions.
Candidates are advised not to fill more than one option in the OMR sheet. If they do so then that question will be considered incorrect and you will get negative marks.
Ques: Do I have to pass all the sections of NEET 2021?
Ans: No. There is no sectional qualifying criteria. Candidates have to qualify in the overall examination. Candidates will get a total of 3 hours to attempt 180 questions.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.