Panjab University Common Entrance Test is conducted to provide admission in various undergraduate courses. The entrance test is conducted by Punjab University, Chandigarh. Candidates who are seeking admission to various B.Sc. courses in various subjects are required to appear and qualify PUCET.
PUCET 2021 Exam Pattern consists of subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. PUCET is conducted in offline mode in Chandigarh.
- The medium of language to attempt the test is English only.
- PUCET 2021 will comprise of multiple choice questions.
- There will be 60 multiple choice questions for each subject.
- The evaluation will involve negative marking therefore 25% of marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer from the total.
- The syllabus is as per the CBSE syllabus for 10+1 and 10+2 examination.
- The evaluation of answer sheets involves negative marking scheme hence candidates should answer the questions that they know and are completely sure of them.
- The duration of test for per subject is 70 minutes. The total time of examination can be calculated from the combination of subjects the candidates has chosen.
PUCET 2021 Exam Pattern Highlights Table
PUCET 2021 will be conducted in offline mode. The number of papers will be depended on the combination of subjects selected by the candidates. The time allotted per subject is 70 minutes. The total duration of examination varies from candidate to candidate on the selection of subjects. The nature of questions will be multiple-choice questions for all the subjects.
|Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen Paper Based)|
|Number of papers||Depends on the subjects selected by the candidate|
|Question Paper Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|PUCET 2021 Marks||Each Subject Paper of total 120 marks|
|Exam duration||70 minutes for Each Subject Paper|
PUCET 2021 Exam Pattern in Detail
PUCET 2021 is conducted by Punjab University, Chandigarh. The medium of language for answering is English. Candidates are required to qualify the entrance test in order to take admission for various Degree courses in Punjab University.
Candidates should read the exam pattern before preparing for the test. Here are the brief details of the exam pattern:
- Total number of questions for each subject: 60 questions
- Type of questions: Multiple-choice questions
- Maximum marks allotted to each subject paper: 120 marks
- Duration for each subject paper: 70 minutes
- Marking Scheme: Negative marking scheme; 0.5 marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
- PUCET 2021 Subjects or Syllabus: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. Candidates are required to select a combination of subjects depending on the course they have selected.
Here is tabulated form of details for the course and subject combination the candidates should choose in order to fulfil the eligibility.
|Name of Course||Combination of CET Undergraduate Subjects|
|B. Pharm.||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Botany||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Zoology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Anthropology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Chemistry||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Geology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Physics||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Physics (Specialization in Electronics)||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Biochemistry||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Microbiology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Biotechnology||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Biophysics||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) OR Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM)|
|B.Sc. (Hons School) Mathematics||Mathematics (M)|
Candidates should thoroughly study the 10+1 and 10+2 syllabus of Science as per the conducting board. No additional syllabus is required or prescribed by the conducting body.
If a candidate chooses PCM, he/she has to calculate the total of selected subjects. Here is Subject wise weightage:
|Subject||Number of Questions||Time allotted per Subject||Marks|
|Total||240 questions||280 minutes||480 marks|
PU CET 2021 Marking Scheme
The nature of questions asked in PU CET are multiple-choice questions. Candidates should mark/fill only one choice of the given four choices. Each question carries 2 marks making the maximum total of 120 marks.
The total number of questions asked in each subject question paper are 60.
The evaluation scheme employs negative marking scheme. For every incorrect response, 0.5 or 25% of marks will be deducted out of the total answered responses. No marks will be allotted or deducted for unanswered questions.
Here is a table highlighting the marking scheme details:
|Subject||Number of questions||Marks allotted for each question||Deduction per incorrect answer|
|Physics||60||2 marks||0.5 marks|
|Chemistry||60||2 marks||0.5 marks|
|Biology||60||2 marks||0.5 marks|
|Mathematics||60||2 marks||0.5 marks|
PU CET 2021 Syllabus
PUCET 2021 will consist of questions from the 10+1 and 10+2 syllabus of Punjab University. The subjects from Science stream that will be covered are Physics, Chemistry, Biology and/or Mathematics. Candidates can choose subjects according to the course chosen by them.
Here are detailed subjects with their topics:
PUCET Physics Syllabus:
- Physical World and Measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy and Power
- Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body Gravitation
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Thermodynamics Behavior of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations and Waves
PUCET Chemistry Syllabus:
- Some Basic Concept of Chemistry
- Structure of Atom
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- S-Block Elements (Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals)
- Organic Chemistry- Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- Status of Matter: Gases and Liquids
- Redox Reaction
- Some p-Block Elements, General introduction to p-Block Elements
- Environmental Chemistry
PUCET Biology Syllabus:
- Diversity in living World
- Structural Organization in animals & plants
- Cell structure and functions
- Plant physiology
- Human anatomy and physiology
PUCET Mathematics Syllabus:
- Relations & Functions
- Trigonometric Functions
- Principle of Mathematical Induction
- Complex numbers & Quadratic Equations
- Linear Inequalities
- Permutations & Combinations
- Binomial Theorem
- Sequence & Series
- Straight lines
- Conic Sections
- Introduction to Three- dimensional Geometry
- Limits & Derivatives
- Mathematical Reasoning
PUCET 2021 Books
Candidates can refer to the table below for subject wise books they can refer to while preparing for PUCET.
|Physics||29 Years Physics Chapter-wise Solutions for CBSE AIPMT & NEET||Arihant Experts||ISBN-10: 9350949253 ISBN-13: 978-9350949252|
|Chemistry||ISC Chapter-wise Solved Papers Chemistry class 12th||Arihant Experts||ISBN-10: 9350946890 ISBN-13: 978-9350946893|
|Biology||Examination Questions in Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Drawing, Geography, Physics, Zoology||College Entrance Examination Board||ISBN-10: 1347402160 ISBN-13: 978-1347402160|
|Mathematics||SAT Math Level 1 (Barron's Sat Subject Test Math Level 1)||Ira K. Wolf||ISBN-10: 1438007906 ISBN-13: 978-1438007908|
PU CET 2021 Instructions
OMR (Optical mark recognition) will be given to the candidates to record their answers. Candidates should fill the bubble completely with response to each given option.
These are a few guidelines candidates should follow:
- Candidates should read the rules and norms mentioned on the question and answer booklet.
- Candidates should handover both the Question and Answer booklets to the invigilator before leaving the exam hall.
- Tearing, removing or writing anything else other than the require details such acts should not be performed by the candidates.
- Candidates are strictly prohibited from using calculators in the exam hall.
- Rough work should be done on the back of question paper where a section for rough work is provided.
- Answer should be attempted only on Answer OMR sheet only.
- Candidates should darken only one circle which they think or know is the answer.
- Negative marking is employed in evaluation hence candidates should attempt the questions only if they are sure about their correctness.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.