TOEFL Score is calculated on a range of 0 - 120 points. Candidates receive TOEFL results with two types of scores: TOEFL Total Score and TOEFL Scaled Score. Each of the four sections of TOEFL syllabus is marked on a range of 0 - 30 and that is the scaled score. TOEFL total marks are the ultimate score out of 120. The average TOEFL score ranges between 85 to 95. TOEFL score validity is for two years.
The above graph shows the average TOEFL score of candidates pursuing different levels. The levels include candidate in high-school, college students, undergraduate students, graduate students applying in both business, and non-business programs, applicants for English language school professional licence, employment and immigration. Below are few points studied from the above graph:
- The highest average TOEFL reading score is obtained by the graduate students applying in non-business program
- Graduate students applying for non-business programs again obtained the highest average TOEFL listening score
- Highest average TOEFL speaking score is obtained by grad students applying for non-business and business programs, and immigration candidates
- The highest average TOEFL writing score is obtained by graduate students applying for non-business programs
Each of the four sections of TOEFL exam pattern has four to five proficiency levels. These levels determine the performance of the candidates based on their TOEFL exam total marks. TOEFL highest score one can obtain is 120.
The below TOEFL score table describes the performance in each section:
|Sections||TOEFL Score Range||Level|
|Listening Section||0-30||Advanced (22–30) high-intermediate (17–21) Low-Intermediate (9–16) Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)|
|Speaking Section||0-30||Advanced (25–30) High-Intermediate (20–24) Low-Intermediate (16–19) Basic (10–15) Below Basic (0–9)|
|Reading Section||0-30||Advanced (24–30) High-Intermediate (18–23) Low-Intermediate (4–17) Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)|
|Writing Section||0-30||Advanced (24–30) High-Intermediate (17–23) Low-Intermediate (13–16) Basic (7–12) Below Basic (0–6)|
|Total TOEFL Score||0-120||-|
TOEFL score calculation is based on a conversion from the raw score to the scaled score. A raw score is the total number of correct answers a candidate obtains. Examiners convert those raw scores into TOEFL iBT scores. Below are lists explaining TOEFL score range conversion from raw to scaled:
There are a total of 30 to 40 questions in TOEFL reading. Below is the TOEFL exam score conversion from raw to scaled:
|No. of correct answers||TOEFL Scaled Score|
There is a total of 28 to 39 questions in TOEFL listening. Below is the TOEFL score conversion:
|No. of Correct Answers||TOEFL Scaled Score|
Below is the TOEFL score conversion from raw to scaled score of TOEFL writing section:
|No. of Correct Answers||TOEFL Scaled Score|
Below is the TOEFL score conversion of TOEFL speaking section:
|Raw Score||TOEFL Scaled Score|
TOEFL score percentiles help candidates understand their performance as compared to other test-takers. Below is the TOEFL score percentile table:
|Total Scale Score||Percentile Rank|
Candidates need to aim for a TOEFL score percentile of 79 and above to obtain a good TOEFL score. There is no TOEFL maximum score or TOEFL minimum score that candidates need to aim for. If the candidate can achieve the TOEFL cutoff of their selected universities, it means they have achieved the TOEFL passing score. Most universities have a requirement of a TOEFL band score of 100 and above.
According to ETS TOEFL Results’ data, the average TOEFL score of the four sections have been stated below:
- TOEFL Reading: 21.2
- TOEFL Listening: 20.9
- TOEFL Speaking: 20.6
- TOEFL Writing: 20.5
- Average TOEFL Score Percentile: 83
Candidates can either check TOEFL scores online or through the mail. Most candidates opt for the online method, and the steps to check TOEFL score online is given below:
- TOEFL exam score is available approximately 6 days from the TOEFL test date and can be checked through one ETS account
- The candidate will be informed about the availability of TOEFL score through their registered email account
- To check TOEFL score candidates need to log in with their username and password
- On successful log-in, section-wise and overall TOEFL test score will be displayed on the screen
- PDF score reports are typically available for download within 8 days after the test date
- Download the TOEFL scorecard once it is available
Candidates can also view their TOEFL unofficial score of the listening and reading sections instantly after finishing their test. This is helpful for candidates to understand their performance before leaving the TOEFL test center.
There are two ways of TOEFL score reporting: Before the Test and After the Test.
Before the Test:
TOEFL score reports will be automatically sent to the four selected universities that the candidate has chosen before the test. TOEFL score sending fee of these four reports is already included in the TOEFL fee. Any alteration can be done before 10 p.m of the day before the test. The delivery time of each of the mediums of sending TOEFL score are stated below:
- Through ETS Data Manager: 6 to 8 days
- Scorelink Service: 8 to 10 days
- Postal Mail: 9 to 100 days excluding mailing time.
After the Test:
Candidates can request for additional TOEFL score reports within two years of TOEFL score validity. They need to pay an additional fee of US$20 for each university/college they are selecting. There are three ways of sending TOEFL score:
- Through ETS Account: Candidates need to select the ‘Send Additional Score Report’ option and pay. It takes 3 to 5 official days.
- By Fax: Candidates need to fill ‘Additional Score Report Request Form’, include payment and appointment number information. The fax is to be sent to +1-610-290-8972. It takes 10 official days.
- By Mail: This takes 10 days to send the candidates’ TOEFL best score. Fill out the TOEFL IBT Additional Score Report Request Form and mail it to:
P.O. Box 6153
Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 USA
Most of the top TOEFL accepting universities require a TOEFL cutoff of around 90 to 100 and above. The required TOEFL score for US universities is around 80 to 100. Candidates need to aim for TOEFL max score after noting the score requirements of the universities. Below is a list of TOEFL score of top universities:
|Harvard University||100 – 105|
|Oxford University||100; Listening: 22 Reading: 24 Speaking: 25 Writing: 24|
|University College London||92 or above (minimum 24/30 in reading and writing, 20/30 in listening and speaking)|
|Cambridge University||100; 25 in each skill|
|California Institute of Technology||78|
|Edinburgh University||92; 20 in each section|
|King’s College, London||109; Writing: 27 25 in remaining skills|
|Brown University||100 or above|
|University of California, Los Angeles||87|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbor||88 – 100; 23 minimum score in each section|
|Northwestern University||100 for Ph.D.; 90 for MS|
|University of California, San Diego||85|
Candidates can know their performance in both IELTS and TOEFL by comparing TOEFL score to IELTS. This way they can understand if they should take IELTS or TOEFL.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.