XAT 2020: Exam Date, Application Form (Released), Syllabus, Eligibility
The extended date to fill the XAT application online is Dec 10, 2019 by paying a fee of INR 1700. XAT is a national level online entrance exam that aims to select admirable students for management programs offered by top institutes. The score is accepted by XLRI, SPJIMR, XIMB, IMT, TAPMI and more than 150 colleges in India. – Apply Now
In XAT application process there is no limit on age and number of attempts. To apply for XAT you just need to have a Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration. You can begin the registration process by visiting the official website xatonline.in, and getting a XAT registration ID and Password. Successful registrants can download their XAT 2020 Admit Card from Dec 20, 2019 onwards.
The syllabus for XAT comprises of 4 sections namely Verbal and Logical Ability (VA & LR), Decision Making (DM), Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (QA & DI), and General Knowledge (GK). XAT 2020 is to be held on January 5, 2020 in 72 cities of India in a single session from 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Check XAT 2020 Exam Pattern
You can check the upcoming XAT exam date, cities in which the exam is conducted and other necessary details below.
Download XAT 2020 Official Notification
Highlights of XAT 2020
|Exam Name||Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)|
|Exam Category||Post Graduate|
|Conducting Body||XLRI Jamshedpur|
|Programs Offered||PGDM (Human Resource Management/ Business Management/ General Management)|
|XAT Eligibility||3-year Bachelor’s Degree|
|Number of Test Takers||80,000 approx.|
|XAT Helpline Number||1800 267 4008|
|XAT Contact Number|
0657 665 3203/04
XAT 2020 – Essential Details
The conducting bost of XAT has done some changes in the exam. This year exam will have only MCQs. So students need not prepare for essay type questions. The minimum eligibility criteria to apply for XAT 2020 is graduation in any discipline. Candidates in their final year of graduation are also eligible for XAT. The major sections in the exam will be QA, DI, VALR, GK, DM. Also, the marks obtained in GK will not be included in the final score calculation. Check XAT Eligibility Criteria
- The test duration has been reduced to 180 minutes since 2018.
- XAT Cutoff differs for Human Resource and Business Management programs. Also, the cut off is different for male and female candidates. Last year, the cut off for BM was 28 marks and HR was 26 marks. Check XAT Cutoff 2020
XAT 2020 Dates
XAT 2020 dates have been released on the official website i.e. xatonline.in. The XAT 2020 important dates are as follows:
|Events||XAT Dates 2020|
|XAT 2020 Registration Date Begins on||August 23, 2019|
|Last day to fill XAT 2020 Application Form||November 30, 2019|
|Extended Registration Date||Till December 10, 2019|
|Availability of XAT Admit Card 2020||December 20, 2019|
|XAT Exam Date 2020 (First Sunday of January)||January 5, 2020 (Sunday; 9:30 AM- 12:30 PM)|
|Announcement of XAT Result 2020||January 31, 2020|
XAT Eligibility Criteria 2020
Candidates applying for XAT 2020 should carefully go through the eligibility criteria before filling XAT application form. The minimum eligibility criteria is a Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration. Candidates who are in the final year of graduation can also apply for the XAT entrance exam. There is no minimum aggregate marks criteria to apply for XAT 2020. One more important information that all the candidates should know is that there is no limit on age and number of attempts.
NOTE: Candidates who did graduation in the 1980s with a 2-year bachelor's degree are not eligible for XAT 2020. NRI and Foreign Candidates are also eligible to apply through GMAT Scorecard.
Check Detailed XAT 2020 Eligibility
XAT Application Form 2020
XAT Registration has been commenced from August 23, 2019 and the extended date to apply for XAT is Dec 10, 2019. Candidates will be able to fill XAT 2020 Application Form at the official website xatonline.in. XAT Registration process primarily involves the following steps:
Step 1: XAT Registration
- Visit the official website-xatonline.in.
- Click on the tab "Registration" and enter your Name, Date of Birth, Contact details and Email-id.
- A system generated XAT ID and Password will be sent to you through Email/SMS.
- Note down XAT ID and Password for future reference.
Step 2: Fill XAT Application Form
- Fill in your personal and academic details, work experience, preferred course, and exam center.
- Preview your form carefully once as no changes will be entertained after clicking on “Final Submit”.
Step 3: Upload Documents
Upload scanned images of your recent Photograph and signature as per specifications mentioned below:
|Scanned Candidate’s Passport Size Photograph|
Image Dimensions: 200X230 pixels
File Type: JPG or JPEG
File size: 20Kbs – 50Kbs
|Scanned Candidate’s Signature|
Image Dimensions: 140X160 pixels
File Type: JPG or JPEG
File size: 10Kbs – 20Kbs
Step 4: XAT 2020 Fees-Payment
- Pay XAT Application Fee by using Debit Cards (RuPay / Visa / Master Card / Maestro), Credit Cards or Internet Banking.
- XAT Registration Fee (without late fee) – Rs. 1700/- (Candidates interested in XLRI programs need to pay an additional fee of Rs. 300/- each.)
- XAT Registration Fee (with late fee) – Rs. 2000/- (Candidates interested in XLRI programs need to pay an additional fee of Rs. 500/- each.)
- Indian Candidates applying for GMP through GMAT – Rs. 2500/-
NRI/Foreign Candidates applying for one or more programs through GMAT – Rs. 5000/-
Step 5: Download Confirmation Page
- Download XAT Application Form and e-receipt of fee payment.
- Take a printout of them for further reference.
Check Detailed XAT Registration 2020
Note: In case an applicant does not receive the registration confirmation mail along with provisional XAT UID & Password, within 24 hours of signing up, they are requested to write to firstname.lastname@example.org citing the primary email ID and the issue or call the Helpdesk on 1800 267 4008 (08.00 a.m. till 08.00 p.m. IST)
XAT Admit Card 2020
XLRI Jamshedpur will issue XAT Admit Card 2020 from December 20, 2019 onwards. You can download the admit card from the official website of XAT 2020 – xatonline.in. You just need to enter a valid XAT ID and password. After downloading the admit card you must check the details mentioned in it like exam center, exam instructions, date, timings and candidate’s information. Candidates are advised to resolve any issue in their admit card as soon as possible otherwise you will not be allowed to take the exam on January 5, 2020. XAT Admit Card is a mandatory document that must be preserved till the admission process.
How to download XAT Admit Card?
- Visit the official website of XAT 2020. Click on “Download XAT 2020 Admit Card” link
- Enter your XAT Registration ID and XAT password or your Date of Birth in DD/MM/YY format.
- Download your admit card which will be available in PDF format
- Print multiple hard copies for further use.
NOTE: In case of any discrepancy or error in the XAT Admit Card, you must report it to the concerned authorities immediately at their Helpline Number - 18002674008.
Documents Required with Admit Card
Candidates are required to carry XAT admit card to the exam center along with any of the following photo ID proof:
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID Card
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Photo ID issued by current education institute or employer among others.
XAT Exam Centers 2020
The management exam is being held in about 72 cities in India Here is a tentative list of exam cities for XAT 2020:
Read More XAT Exam Centers
XAT Exam Pattern 2020
XAT 2020 will be conducted in online mode i.e computer-based test. The question paper is divided into 4 sections i.e. Verbal and Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, and General Knowledge. The essay writing section has been removed. The following infographic and table give the highlights of XAT 2020 Pattern:
|Section Name||No. of Questions||Total Time|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||3 Hours|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||27|
XAT Exam Pattern Changes
The conducting body of XAT has done various changes in the exam and before appearing for the exam you must know about all the changes. This will help you in preparing well for the exam. The conducting time for XAT 2020 exam has changed to 9.30 am - 12.30 pm. The most important change is that there will not be any Essay Writing Test in the XAT 2020 Exam. So all the candidates can skip preparing for this part. For XAT 2020 all the questions will be MCQ type. A new category in the form of Numerical Answer Type Question (NAT Questions) will be available in the XAT Exam 2020. Other than this, the score obtained in the GK section will not be included in the final calculation of score and the incorrect responses for questions from this section will not be considered for percentile calculation. You can move-on to part-2 of the GK section only after the completion of part-1 of the XAT 2020 Exam. So taking all these changes into consideration you should start preparing for the exam.
Check detailed XAT Exam Pattern
XAT Syllabus 2020
There is no officially prescribed syllabus for XAT 2020. The XAT 2020 syllabus is based on past trends of XAT question papers and syllabus is drawn from the topics which have been asked in previous XAT exams. However, their composition, format, and number may change with each subsequent edition of XAT.
XAT 2020 is an objective type paper covering Data Interpretation and Quantitative Ability, English Language and Reasoning, and Decision Making. An indicative list of topics covered in these sections are:
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||Geometry, Tables, Graphs, Arithmetic, Trigonometry, Statistics, Profit & Loss, Speed and Distance, Clocks, Probability, Algebraic Function, Mensuration -2D and 3D|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||Grammar, Para Jumbles, Para Completion, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehensions, Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, Completion of Sentences|
|Analytical Reasoning, Situational, Case sets, Data Arrangement,|
|General Knowledge||Current Affairs, Politics, Literature, Sports, History, Awards and Recognitions, Business, Economics, International Relations, Society, Merger, and Aquisition|
Read Detailed XAT Syllabus
XAT Cutoff 2020
XAT Cut-Off marks include the minimum percentile to be scored by each candidate in the test. On the basis of XAT 2020 Cut Off, candidates will be shortlisted for Group Discussion and Personal Interview Rounds for admission. XAT Cut off varies for different programs offered by XLRI, Jamshedpur. Other participating institutes also have their individual Cut Off scores.
The minimum percentage required for being considered for different programs at XLRI:
Section-wise Last Minute Tips for XAT 2020
XAT authorities have claimed to conduct a lower level of difficulty for the QA Section. However, this section will continue to be the most challenging and strenuous section for the applicants with their preparation and ability put to test. This section includes almost every part of maths. Questions from the DI section will still be relatively easy than the former section with problems catering to the moderate level of analysis and approach. The question from DI usually comes in sets. Applicants confident with their QA and DI skills should look towards attempting as many questions as possible, an average student must make an attempt for 17-20 accurate answers. Continuous practice and knowledge of shortcuts or tricks will help you in getting a good score in this section.
Verbal & Logical Ability
This section mainly comprises of Sentence Completion, Sentence Correction, Para Jumbles, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension. It is advisable to go for the less-time consuming parts with Sentence Completion, Vocabulary and Para Jumbles to be completed in a shorter span of time. The more challenging Comprehension, Sentence Correction and Critical reasoning can be attempted later with a bit more concentration and a bit more time-span. Ideally, 18-20 accurate responses should be the target from this section for an average student. Somebody confident of, even more, should look towards the maximum achievable correct answers. While attempting this section you need to manage your time because reading comprehensions are time-consuming and if you take extra time in one question then you will left will less time to attempt other questions.
Something that is exclusive to the XAT Exam over the years comprise of Mathematical and Behavioral decision-making problems. This focuses on one's reasoning and analytical skills with the right approach towards reaching the correct decision is by eliminating choices on the basis of legality, fairness and the desired situation/end-result. The decision making questions from the Mathematical sub-section are relatively easy to be solved but are time-consuming to some extent. So, they are advised to be approached after the Behavioral sub-section.An ideal count of 17-18 questions should be correctly attempted from this section out of the total tally. To know about the type of decision making questions asked in XAT exam you can try solving the previous year’s question paper. CheckXAT Practice Papers
A good score in the GK section is a compulsion for making it to the final list of XLRI. A target score of 5-8 marks should be achieved for GK problems thrown at you. Recommended books or GK videos of preparation for exams like IIFT and SNAP should also be referred and the possibility will bloom higher for a successful rave at this section of the exam.
XAT Mock Test 2020
XAT 2020 mock test will be released by XLRI in the last week of December 2019 (tentatively). To ace in the XAT 2020 preparation, candidates are advised to appear for the mock test released by the conducting body to understand the exam pattern and structure of the online XAT 2020 test. In order to access the online assessment/mock test of XAT 2019, test takers had to enter the User ID and Password created during the XAT 2020 Registration.
How to prepare for XAT 2020
- Time table is a must: Candidates are advised to make a weekly time table which includes a schedule regarding time devotion to various sections, revisions and mock tests. To maintain the interest in the preparation and reduce the stress, candidates should take a day off from preparation, weekly.
- Take Regular Mock Tests: Candidates should start taking mock tests as soon as they start their preparation, this will help them analyze the pace of their preparation and assist them in improving their performance.
- Section-wise Preparation: Candidates should go through the exam pattern and thoroughly understand the section-wise syllabus. This will help the candidates identify their strong and weak areas and they can thus work towards the same in an organized manner.
- Make notes: Candidates may use different sources to study the same topic for a broad and a better understanding of it. However, it’s a must to keep your study material in one place. Making notes will be helpful for future references and a productive revision.
- Don’t Pile on: This is a common mistake and must be avoided. Candidates should try and not pile on topics like current affairs, as reading them every day will not only enhance the candidate’s grip over topics but also reduce the workload immensely.
XAT Preparation Tips by Previous Years' Toppers
For a productive preparation process, one must consider the opinions of the more experienced. Collegedunia brings you insights from the journeys of XAT toppers:
|XAT Tips by Toppers|
|XAT Topper Tips By Arya Balial|
|XAT Topper Tips By Isha Parasramka|
|XAT Topper Tips by Akash Senapati|
|XAT Topper Tips by Aditi Srivastava|
XAT Exam Day Instructions
There are few exam day instructions that need to be followed by all the candidates. XAT MBA Exam 2020 will be of 3 hours duration from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm. The three sections of Verbal & Logical Ability, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation and Decision Making & Analytical Ability will sum up to a count of 74 questions and the section for GK will be having 25 questions.
- Candidates have to be seated as per their allocated Centre Registration Number - CRN once they enter the Test Hall.
- Any rough work, if required, has to be done within the space of the margin on the provided test booklet. No separate or extra rough sheet will be given out at the exam hall.
- Candidates taking the XAT 2020 will not be permitted to leave their respective seats before the Test-Invigilator personally acquires the rough sheet from every individual candidate at the end of the Test. Only then are you allowed to step out of the Test Hall.
XAT Exam Time Approach
- One question to focus on: Each time only one question will pop up with five options to it. This will let candidates to focus on that particular question without thinking of a different one.
- Proper and easy Navigation: Candidates can click on either of the 'Next Question' or 'Previous Question' buttons present at the bottom of the screen to navigate to the respective previous or next questions.
- A track of Time: A ticking timer will be available on the corner of the screen at the top-right position; candidates will get help from this counter to keep a check on the proceedings on their attempt towards every section and the XAT 2020 exam as a whole.
- Answer, Think, Review: Candidates can opt to finalize an option by clicking on the correct option as per their calculation/assumption. A question that a candidate is unsure of can be left completely blank. They can even unmark a particular answer by clicking on the 'Erase' button lying at the bottom of the screen.
- Flexibility: The set of questions present for the XAT MBA Exam can be approached in any order within the stipulated time frame.
- Weightage-preference over Answers: Applicants have the liability to bookmark a particular or a set of questions if they want to review it at a later stage of the exam by clicking on the 'Tag' button available at the bottom of the screen.
- Smart Calculation/Answering: At the mark of exam-completion, even if a test-taker does not click on an answer or even fail to click on the 'Preview Submit' button, the result will be auto-saved by the computer and duly submitted.
XAT Marking Scheme and Time Allocation
All the questions in the XAT will be having equal weight, carrying equal marks irrespective of the difficulty level or the section they are belonging to. Only in the GK section, there will not be any negative marking and also the marks obtained in this section will not be included in the final score. The deduction of 0.25 marks will be there from the total tally for each wrong attempt/answer. Most importantly, 0.05 mark is deducted for a tally of more than eight unattempted questions.
Section-wise Time Allocation for XAT as suggested by experts is:
- Quantitative Ability - 60 minutes
- Decision Making - 50 minutes
- Verbal and Logical Ability - 40 minutes
- General Knowledge - 30 minutes
XAT Result 2020
XAT 2020 Result will be announced online by XLRI Jamshedpur on January 31, 2020, as expected. XAT Scorecard contains overall as well as sectional percentile. All the eligible candidates will be considered for further selection stages that are Group Discussion, Personal Interview or Written Ability Test. More than 150 B-schools in India accept XAT 2020 scores, including XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB, TAPMI. Candidates can access their scorecards by visiting xatonline.in.
The scorecard can be downloaded from the official website in the following steps:
- Visit the official website i.e. xatonline.in
- Click on ‘Results’ tab to enter Login UID and password.
- View result containing marks secured section-wise as well as overall rank.
- Print the scorecard for future use.
Read more about XAT Result 2020
Note: XLRI, Jamshedpur does not take the responsibility of sending hard copies of scorecards to candidates via courier or post.
XAT 2020: Seat Intake
The following table demonstrates a list of the Top MBA Colleges accepting XAT Score along with their Seat Intake and respective Program Fees:
|Name of the Institute||Number of Seats||Program Fees (in Lakhs)|
|IRMA Anand (Gujarat)||180||12.10|
XAT Score Normalization Process
The XAT 2020 Raw Score will be calculated only for Part 1 which consists of VLR, QA and DM sections.
The formula for XAT 2020 Raw Score: (Number of Correct Responses * 1) – (Number of Incorrect Responses * 0.25) – ( * 0.1)
- Count of Un-attempted Questions: For more than 8 un-answered questions only in Part 1.
- Transparency: The XAT conducting authority will be releasing the XAT 2020 question paper and XAT 2020 Answer Key after the XAT Exam is conducted, before eventually announcing the XAT 2020 Exam Result.
- NO Negative Percentile: There are no negative scores that are given to any applicant as per the XAT 2020 Score Normalisation Process.
- NO 100 Percentile: XAT calculates its percentile in a way that the student/students acquiring the highest score get a percentile of 99.9+ rather than 100.
XAT Selection Procedure 2020
Candidates will be shortlisted for the selection procedure in XAT 2020 on the basis of their performance in the entrance exam and XAT Cut Off scores. While some institutes have both GD (Group Discussion) and PI (Personal Interview) rounds, others only have either of the two.
In the group discussion, groups of 8-15 participating candidates are formed and are asked to discuss a given topic for about 15-20 minutes. The topics would mostly be related to current affairs, politics, trending social issues, or any other issue concerning advertising, technology, business or education, etc. Candidates are judged in mostly soft skills like communication skills, assertiveness, team management skills, ability to resolve conflicts, leadership qualities, etc.
PI is usually the final round of the selection process. Candidates are required to appear for an interview with an interview panel if they are shortlisted on the basis of their performance in GD. The questions in the Personal Interview round are centered around candidates’ background, academics, achievements and motivation behind choosing a career in management. This round aims to determine the communication skills, confidence, and ability to think under pressure among candidates.
Read more about XAT Selection Procedure
XAT Merit List 2020
The Merit List of XAT 2020 is created by including different components such as XAT 2020 score, performance in GD & PI, academic records, work experience, and the overall profile of the candidate. The weight of these different components in XLRI is tabulated below. This division of scores applies to all the programs offered by XLRI.
|XAT 2020 score (Part A)||65%|
|GK (Part B)||10%|
|Academic Profile/Work Experience||5%|
It should be noted that post-XAT 2020, there will not be any centralized counseling procedure. Candidates will have to individually apply for each of the member Institutes of XAMI or other participating institutes of XAT 2020 with their scorecard. Candidates will be selected for admission to these Institutes on the basis of XAT 2020 cut-off score, performance in the GD/PI round and the final merit list prepared for the qualifying candidates.
XAT 2020 FAQs
Ques. I have done 5 years integrated course, so how will I enter my percentage?
Ques. How do I calculate the aggregate marks for CBSE /SSC? Is it the best 5 or all the subjects?
Ques. Does internship/Articleship count as work experience?
Ques. I have less than 50% in graduation, am I eligible to apply for XLRI?
Ques. How is past academic performance considered in the selection process?
Ques. How can I download the registration confirmation page?
Ques. Can I edit the information given by me?
Ques. I have paid twice using online payment option. What should I do?
Ques. What do I do if I am unable to make the payment online?
Ques. Can you give me details of HRM Program offered by XLRI?
Ques. Can you give me details of BM Program offered by XLRI?
Ques. How to prepare for xat 2020?
- Scheduling and writing XAT 2020 Mocks every week after the date of the CAT Exam.
- Frequent and regular newspaper & article-reading.
- Deeply focussing on concepts and their practical-application.
- Solving previous year papers and trying to get an idea of the pattern of questions.
- Performing a thorough qualitative analysis of each mock test that you undertake.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College