XAT 2022 Decision Making is one of the 4 sections of the exam apart from Verbal & Logical Ability, General Knowledge, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation. Xavier Aptitude Test is used for admission into the management programs of XLRI Jamshedpur.
XAT DM sectionis similar to the reasoning section of most other management examinations held in India.. Read below to find out more about XAT 2021 Decision Making Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Important Topics, Sample Papers and more.
XAT 2022 Decision Making Highlights
- XAT Exam duration is 180 minutes, and the XAT Decision Making Section can be solved within 35 minutes.
- XAT Decision Making section will have a total of 25 questions.
- There will be a Negative Marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer in the XAT Decision Making section.
Check XAT Sectional Cut Off
XAT 2022 Decision Making Exam Pattern
XAT 2022 Decision Making Exam Pattern is generally the same as the other sections of the XAT Paper except for XAT general knowledge. The XAT DM section consists of 21 questions and the questions generally come from general reasoning topics. Here is the XAT Decision Making Exam Pattern for your reference:
|XAT 2021 Decision Making Exam Pattern|
|Mode||Computer Based Test|
|Nature of Questions||Objective (MCQs)|
|Number of Questions||21|
|Marks Awarded||+1 for every correct answer|
|Negative Marking||-0.25 for every wrong answer|
XAT 2022: Sectional Division of Questions & Time Limit
Knowing the sectional time limit for each of the sections of XAT will help you determine how to attempt the paper efficiently. Here is the sectional division of the questions and the time limit for each section of XAT 2021:
|Section Name||Max. Questions||Time Limit|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||165 minutes|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||27|
|General Knowledge||25||15 minutes|
XAT 2022 Decision Making Syllabus
The decision making section is going to be new for all the candidates because this section is not included by most of the MBA entrance exams. But there is no need to worry as this section is not going to be very difficult. Salient features of Decision Making in XAT are mentioned below:
- Syllabus for this section is decision making in a situation, data arrangement tests, etc.
- There are 21 questions expected from this section.
- Set-based questions are asked.
- The difficulty level of the DM section is moderate to tough.
- Decision making has negative marking.
- Answering 16 – 17 questions is a good attempt.
XAT Decision Making Important Topics
|XAT Decision Making Important Topics|
|Situational||Conditions and Grouping Test|
|Data Arrangement Test||Reading Comprehension|
|Case lets||Decision Making in a situation|
Types of Decision Making Questions for XAT 2022
Candidates can expect two types of questions in the decision making section. It is vital to understand both these types of questions to fare well in the exam.
- One is an individual type question where short questions will be given.
- The other one is a group type question where you have to solve a question based on a scenario. About 4 - 5 questions will be of this type.
Important Terms for XAT 2022 Decision Making
Candidates must familiarize themselves with the following terms to fare better in this section:
- Premise: A previous statement from which another is inferred or an underlying assumption
- Assumption: Something which is taken to be true
- Fact: A piece of information that has been verified and correct
- Proposition: A statement that expressing judgment or an opinion or offered for consideration
- Inference: A conclusion made on the basis of evidence and facts
- Inductive: Employing mathematical reasoning or characterised by inference of general laws
- Deductive: Something that can be proved by deriving conclusions using reason
- Reason: A cause, or explanation or justification for an action or an event
- Conclusion: Fact drawn from summarization of several incidents
XAT Decision Making Recommended Books
XAT Decision Making Paper tests the candidates decision making ability in a limited time period. This is one of the most unique papers, as most other competitive management papers go for a traditional reasoning type paper to test the candidates decision making skills. Since this paper is heavily focused, candidates should use the right books to prepare for the exam and always use the right resources. Here are the recommended books for XAT Decision Making:
|Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|Jabbing the XAT (with solved papers)||RK Jha|
|Target XAT 2019 (Past papers and mock tests)||Disha Publications|
|Analytical and Logical Reasoning||Arihant Publications|
|XAT Supplement||Career Launcher|
|Wiley's ExamXpert Solved Papers and Practice Tests for XAT||Ashu Jain, M K Jain|
|Study Package for CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams with 10 Mock Tests 3rd Edition||Multiple Authors|
|MBA 2019-20 : Study Guide (XAT|IIFT|NMAT|SNAP|CMAT)||Gautam Puri|
|XAT 2019 Simplified (14 yrs Past Papers + 5 Mock Tests + General Awareness)||Disha Experts|
Also Check: XAT Preparation Books for Each Section
XAT Decision Making Previous Year Analysis
|Year||Decision Making Section Analysis|
|2020||Questions of moderate level with no singlets which made this section easy. Mathematical or analytical reasoning questions were missing and 16 - 17 would be a good attempt.|
|2019||18 questions from decision making of moderate difficulty level. 3 questions were similar to that of the previous year.|
|2018||The mathematical part was on the easier side and the nonmathematical part consisted of 8 sets with 2 - 3 questions from each with medium level of difficulty.|
|2017||The non mathematical part consisted of mostly lengthy questions of medium level difficulty. Mathematical part was of medium - difficult level.|
|2016||Decision making section was of a similar difficulty level as 2017. Reading and interpretation passage was however smaller.|
|2015||Questions from the DM section were hard and difficult to solve.|
Tips to Solve XAT 2022 Decision Making: Do’s and Don'ts
This section is important for your future as one might come across a situation where you must take hard decisions in management or similar positions. It is a test of your ability to produce maximum benefit in minimum time.
Here are some best practices or do’s and don’ts while solving Decision Making for XAT:
- It is always advisable to opt for the most ethical choice while answering decision making questions.
- Decisions which are harmful to others or provide a short term solution are highly likely to be incorrect.
- You will often find an option in which the individual does not take any action or make a decision, thereby keeping the situation as it originally was. Such options must be eliminated as it defeats the purpose of decision making.
- While solving mock papers, if you come across a problem you could not solve, try to understand why the incorrect options were not the solution to the problem. Doing this will help you eliminate incorrect options faster.
- If you are confused between two or more options, choose the one that would provide maximum benefit while causing minimum damage at the same time.
- Avoid making personal decisions or options that you might favour over idealistic options. Think from the point of view of the characters. Do not let political, social, or economical views influence your answer.
- Never opt for extreme decisions which might result in affecting one or more people negatively, as these decisions show only poor management skills.
- Do not opt for decisions that solves an issue partly and does not provide a feasible result to the individuals.
- Always make decisions based on logic and reason rather than emotions. Decisions based on emotions reflect poorly on your ability to provide a just solution.
- And lastly, solve as many mock questions as possible to familiarize yourself with as many types of problems as possible. Nothing beats the benefits of good old practice!
Suggested Read: XAT Topper Tips by Akash Senapati
XAT 2022 Decision Making FAQs
Ques. What is the maximum number of questions asked in XAT Decision Making?
Ans. The maximum number of questions asked in the XAT Decision Making section is 21 questions.
Ques: What is the time limit for the XAT decision making section?
Ans. Sectional time limit for the first 3 sections is 165 mins which includes DM. There is no separate time limit for decision making.
Ques: Are candidates allowed to switch between sections in XAT exam?
Ans. Yes, there is no rule against switching between sections in the XAT exam.
Ques. What is considered a good attempt in the XAT Decision Making section?
Ans. While it varies every year depending on the difficulty of the paper and other sections, generally a good attempt in XAT Decision Making is Attempting 12-14 questions with accuracy.
Ques. Does XLRI follow policy of reservation of seats?
Ans. No, XLRI follows no reservation policy of seats
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.