XAT Syllabus is specified by XLRI. XAT Syllabus 2022 will be divided into 4 sections viz. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, Decision Making, Verbal & Logical Ability, and General Knowledge. XAT 2022 Syllabus has been revised and does not include the essay writing section. As per the updated exam pattern for XAT 2022, the paper will consist of 100 questions instead of 99, to be attempted in 180 minutes. Check XAT Exam Pattern 2022
Candidates must note that marks obtained in XAT exam GK section are not considered for percentile calculation. Candidates must be aware of the important changes introduced in XAT 2022 exam pattern and syllabus, important topics in each section of XAT syllabus to devise a proper preparation plan. The preparation strategy for XAT 2022 should be devised according to the updated XAT syllabus and exam pattern to avoid preparing for unnecessary topics. Check XAT Preparation Tips
XAT Latest Updates:
- July 3: Previous Year XAT Question Papers with solutions are available for download. Check here
- July 1: XAT 2022 Application process is expected to begin in September 2021. Check XAT Registration Process
- June 30: Top Colleges that will accept XAT 2022 scores for admission. Check here
XAT Syllabus 2022 Highlights
XAT Syllabus 2022 will have 4 sections. The key highlights of these sections of XAT 2022 Syllabus are tabulated below.
|Part||Section||Number of Questions||Topics||Time Limit|
|Part 1||Verbal and Logical Ability||26||Critical and Analytical Reasoning, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, Logical Deductions||165 minutes|
|Decision Making||21||Caselet study, Data Arrangement, Decision making in a given scenario, Ethical Dilemma|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||27||Mensuration, Algebra, Geometry, Number System, Arithmetic|
|Part 2||General Knowledge||25||Static GK and Current Affairs||15 minutes|
XAT Syllabus 2022: Key Changes
Candidates must note that XLRI Syllabus and XAT Syllabus are the same. XAT Syllabus comprises the topics based on their occurrence in the previous years’ XAT papers. The syllabus for XAT exam 2022 will comprise 4 sections having questions from the major topics defined in the syllabus. Some major changes introduced in XAT exam pattern and Syllabus 2022 are given below:
- The number of sections has been reduced from 5 to 4 as the essay writing section has been omitted from XAT 2022 Syllabus.
- XAT Syllabus will have only these 4 sections:
- Verbal & Logical Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation
- Decision Making
- General Awareness
- As per the updated XAT exam pattern, the maximum number of questions in XAT 2022 exam has been fixed to 100.
- 75 Questions in Part 1 will have a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer.
- 25 GK questions in Part 2 will not have any negative marking.
XAT Section-wise Syllabus 2022
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (QA & DI): 28 Questions can be expected from this section from topics like mensuration, algebra, geometry, number system, etc. The difficulty level of this section is usually high, and for this reason, an accuracy of 70% is considered good.
- Verbal & Logical Ability (VA & LR): Questions in this section are mostly from topics like critical and analytical reasoning, vocabulary, reading comprehension, logical deductions, etc. As per the previous year's trend, a total of 26 questions of moderate-high level of difficulty can be expected in XAT Verbal & Logical Ability section.
- Decision Making (DM): 21 questions are expected from this section. This section is an interesting feature of XAT exam and consists of questions from topics such as caselet study, data arrangement, decision making in a given scenario, ethical dilemma, etc.
- GK: The section is usually of moderate difficulty and there is no negative marking for wrong answers. A total of 25 questions carrying 1 mark each are asked in this section.
A brief XAT 2022 Syllabus for each section has been mentioned in the table given below.
|Decision Making||Ethical Dilemma, Business Decision Making, Complex Arrangement, Caselets, Arrangement of data, Grouping, Assumptions, Premises, Conclusions|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||Arithmetic, Algebra, Mensuration, Number System, Geometry, Mensuration, Percentage, Surds and Indices, Bar Diagrams, Pie Charts, Tables, Data Interpretation.|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Analogy, Para jumbles, Verbal reasoning, Critical Reasoning, Error Detection, Fill in the Blanks|
|General Knowledge||Management, History, Important personalities, Science & Technology, Economy, Politics, Static GK, Sports, Prizes and Awards, World, Government, Constitution of India, etc|
XAT Syllabus 2022: Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QA & DI)
XAT Syllabus for Quant & DI is vast and covers almost all the topics of maths. Candidates need to give more attention and extra effort while preparing for this section. Topics covered are from that of the 10th standard syllabus.
Quantitative Ability: XLRI has brought significant changes in this section. Numbers, Geometry, and Mensuration questions have become more prominent and around 50% of the Quant questions are based on these areas. Arithmetic, Venn diagrams, functions are other favorite topics on which questions are formed in XAT.
Data Interpretation: Data tables, graphs, charts, bar diagrams, data analysis & comparison are the major topics for DI, and the questions are majorly asked in sets. Some key features of XAT Syllabus for Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation are given below:
- XAT Quant & DI section is meant to test the student’s calculation and implementation power.
- 28 questions will be asked from this section and candidates are advised to spend not more than 2 minutes and 17 seconds to solve each question.
- QA and DI section is considered to be of the highest difficulty level.
- For DI, 4- 5 questions and for QA 13 – 15 questions would ideally be considered a good attempt.
Important topics for XAT Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (Quant & DI)
|Geometry||Mensuration – 2D and 3D|
|Profit and Loss||Speed & Distance|
|Quadratic Equations||Linear Equations|
|Logarithm||Surds and Indices|
|Arithmetic||Heights & Distance|
|Direction Sense & Time||Clocks|
|Data Interpretation – Table, Combination||Complex Numbers|
XAT 2022 Syllabus: Verbal and Logical Ability
Verbal & Logical Ability Syllabus for XAT 2022 has been divided into 3 parts viz. Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, and Logical Reasoning.
Verbal Ability: XAT syllabus you need to cover in this part includes questions based on English vocabulary like fill in the blanks, synonyms, antonyms, correction of sentences, use of right words, etc.
Reading Comprehension: This part will take more time because you have to read the whole paragraph to mark the correct answers and also the share of questions from this part is high in VALR. The topics for RC could be politics, economics, or abstract.
Logical Reasoning: The syllabus for this part is analogy, clocks, inference & judgments, blood relations, seating arrangements, etc. The questions from this part are mostly asked in sets so if you are able to crack one LR question then it means you can answer at least 2-3 questions. Salient features of XAT Syllabus for English and Reasoning are given below:
- 26 questions of the objective type are expected to come from this section.
- Approximately 56 minutes are required to complete this section.
- The section can have moderate to high difficulty level questions.
- 15 – 17 questions would ideally be considered to be a good attempt from this section.
Important Topics for XAT Verbal & Logical Ability
|English Usage Topics||Reading Comprehension Topics|
|The contextual meaning of words||Economy|
|Para completion and para jumble||Psychology and social issues|
|Error correction||Literature and fiction|
|Vocabulary (Antonyms and Synonyms)||Science|
|Critical Reasoning||Narration of Incidents|
XAT Syllabus 2022: Decision Making (DM)
XAT Decision Making section is unique to XAT exam because this section is not included in most of the MBA entrance exams. But there is no need to worry as this section is not going to be very difficult.
Salient features of XAT 2022 Syllabus for Decision Making are mentioned below:
- The syllabus for this section is decision making in a situation, data arrangement tests, etc.
- There are 21 questions expected from this section.
- Set-based questions are asked. The difficulty level of the DM section is moderate to tough.
- XAT Decision Making section has negative marking. Answering 16 – 17 questions is usually a good attempt.
Important Topics for XAT Decision Making
|Situational||Conditions and Grouping Test|
|Data Arrangement Test||Reading Comprehension|
|Case lets||Decision Making in a situation|
XAT 2022 Syllabus for General Knowledge (GK)
To score in this section, a candidate needs to remain in constant touch with GK on a daily basis. Important features of General Knowledge XAT Syllabus 2022 are mentioned below:
- Topics to be covered in this section are history, politics, author names, business, economy, current affairs (national and international), etc.
- 25 questions will be asked in total. You will be given 15 minutes to complete this section.
- The difficulty level is moderate. Most questions are on current affairs and some on GK.
- 60:40 breakup is defined for GK and Current Affairs.
- Candidates can go for guesswork as negative marking is not applicable.
Important Topics for XAT General Knowledge
|Politics||Nation and States|
|Sports||Awards and Recognitions|
|Merger & Acquisitions||--|
Previously asked questions in XAT General Knowledge section
Although, questions in the general knowledge section hold no bounds to a particular topic as per XAT Syllabus. Still, we have mentioned some of the sample questions to have an understanding of the type of questions been asked in the GK section.
- Who acquired Glaxo Smithkline Consumer Healthcare?
- Which of the following is not part of VIACOM 18
- Highest import to India
- Which Indian bank was the first to issue “Green Bonds” for financing renewable and clean energy projects?
- Giga fiber to be launched by which company
- Who is the SBI Chairman?
- What are the names of Parliament Budget Sessions
- Name of Liquid for dissolving Gold
- Name of Rajasthan Snake Dance
- 12 – 14 questions would ideally be considered to be a good attempt.
Best Books for XAT 2022 Preparation
Books play an important role in preparation for any competitive exam as they provide the latest syllabus for the exam. It is very important to choose the right XAT books which have been updated as per the revised XAT exam syllabus for comprehensive preparation. Given below are some section-wise recommended books for candidates preparing for XAT 2022:
|Book name||Section||Publisher / Author|
|Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||Nitish K. Sinha|
|PSC for VA for CAT||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||Nitish K. Sinha|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||Nitish K. Sinha|
|CAT 2017 Quantitative Aptitude||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||Gautam Puri|
|Wiley's ExamXpert XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||Wiley India (Author)|
|Jabbing the XAT Mock Tests & Solved Papers||Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation||R K Jha|
|Study Notes Material On XAT Paperback – 2016||Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning||Sourav sir's classes|
|Verbal Ability Comprehension for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT/ CMAT/ MAT||Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning||Bharta Patodi and Aditya Choudhary|
|XAT 2016 Decision Making Online Coaching by Ravi Handa (Voucher)||Decision Making||Online book|
|Target XAT 2017 (Past Papers 2005 - 2016 + 5 Mock Tests)||Decision Making||Disha Experts|
|Objective General Knowledge||General Knowledge||Lucent’s|
|General knowledge||General Knowledge||Lucent’s|
XAT 2022 Preparation Strategy
XAT 2022 is expected to be conducted in January 2022 by XLRI. XAT Syllabus has no defined boundary, candidates appearing for it are suggested to practice as many sample papers and previous years' question papers as possible. Listed below are major takeaways for XAT Preparations:
- Before starting the preparations, it is advised to go through all the previous years’ papers to get an idea about all the questions asked in the exam. Doing this will help a candidate to know about the level of questions that are asked from XAT Syllabus.
- The importance of solving papers cannot be stressed enough. Go through free XAT Mock Tests for advanced preparation.
- Candidates must make sure to give equal importance to all the sections in order to fetch maximum marks to clear the sectional cut-off set by the conducting authority.
- As the level of exam is difficult, so managing the time in an efficient way will prove to be an asset.
- For the GK section, it is important to keep oneself updated with both static and current happenings around the world. As per the trends, knowing about the past 6 months' news will be sufficient for XAT preparation for this section.
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic which resulted in a lockdown, it is recommended that candidates consider online coaching for XAT which is as helpful as the traditional coaching centers.
Read more XAT 2022 Preparation Tips
XAT Syllabus 2022 FAQs
Ques. Is the calculator allowed in XAT exam?
Ans. Any type of electronic media is not allowed in the exam center.
Ques. If I opt for a 100-day study plan, what are my chances of getting selected in XAT 2022?
Ans. Well, a 100-day study plan, if followed precisely, will ensure that your study would be completed within time. But your dedication and commitment will make all the difference.
Ques. Can you give me a list of all the topics that are added to XAT 2022 syllabus over XAT 2020 syllabus?
Ans. Well, there are no additions that are officially announced in the XAT 2022 syllabus.
Ques. I have heard that switching between the sections is not allowed in the XAT online test. Is it true?
Ans. No, there are no such rules on switching between the sections in the XAT. Still, it would be best for you that you complete 1 section and then move on to the next section.
Ques. I want to do prepare online for completing XAT syllabus 2022. Can you give me the name of some websites that I can refer to?
Ans. Sure, you can work with PaGalGuy, money control, test find, cracku, career launcher, and Handa Ka Funda. Also, along with the preparation of other management entrance exams, preparation for XAT can be done.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.