B.Tech from Germany: An overview
BTech from Germany is a 3-4 year undergraduate course after which one can easily get a job with a salary of around 11,000 Euros a month. It is available as a B.Eng and BS degree in German universities. Also, as a financial concern, international students are allowed to work for 90 days in a year so that they can support themselves. The usual income, in this case, ranges from 80 to 90 Euros a day.
- Some of the popular specializations in BTech from German universities are mechanical engineering, software engineering, civil engineering, etc.
- B. Tech in mechanical engineering from Germany is one of the most preferred courses by international students.
- The cost of living in Germany goes around 800-900 Euros for a month.
Why Study BTech in Germany
According to deutschland.de, software developer, electronics engineer, IT analyst and structural engineer are included in the list of top 10 most sought after jobs in Germany.
- Germany spends 2.8% of its GDP on research and development of the Engineering & IT sector.
- One-third of the international student population is enrolled in universities offering Engineering programs in Germany.
- Around 40,000 students graduate as engineers from German universities.
- Hamburg and Stuttgart areas have a high demand for Engineers.
- With a minimum of 1-2 years of experience, engineers in Germany can earn up to 50,000 Euro/year.
- Germany has a policy of ‘no tuition fee’ in their universities. As most of the universities are state-sponsored they only charge a nominal administrative fee.
- So it gets easier to pursue a B.Tech course without facing any financial hindrances in comparison to other popular students destinations, like BTech from Canada.
- In the top 100 universities of the world, six are from Germany and all those are subsidized universities funded by the state.
- The country stands on the 14th rank in the list of most safe countries in the world. The crime rate in Germany is about 6000 crimes per 100,000 people, even it is reducing every year.
Top Universities offering BTech in Germany
According to QS News World University Ranking of 2020, following are the top universities offering bachelor of engineering in Germany:
|University||QS Ranking 2020||Program Offered||Annual Tuition Fee (in EUR)|
|Technical University of Munich||55||BS in Engineering||129|
|Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||124||BS in Mechanical Engineering||17,300|
|RWTH Aachen University||138||BE in Mechanical Engineering||570|
|Technical University of Berlin||147||BS in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc||10,025|
|University of Stuttgart||279||BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering||3,000|
|Technical University of Braunschweig||521-530||BS in Mechanical Engineering||716|
BTech Courses Offered in Germany
B. Tech in Mechatronics is one of the most preferred branches by students from all over the world. Some of the other top-ranking universities for mechanical engineering after KIT include the prestigious RWTH Aachen University, Technical University of Munich, University of Stuttgart and Technical University of Braunschweig.
All these universities provide various courses in mechanical engineering e.g. B.Sc and M.Sc in mechanical engineering, material science and engineering, B.Tech Mechatronics, B.Tech Information Technology and Aerospace Engineering.
Admission Process for BTech from Germany
Students are required to have 13 years of formal education with a minimum of 67% in senior secondary diplomas to apply for Btech in Germany.
Where to Apply
Applications can be made directly to the international office of the university through their website. As an alternative, there is a centralized admission portal for the international students which is operated by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), but it is not used by all the universities.
So it is suggested to apply directly on the university website to increase the chances of admission. An application fee is charged individually by the colleges and the payment can be made online on the university website.
Intake Season for BTech in Germany Admission
Applications are invited twice a year, separately for the summer and winter semesters. In all the top universities the application dates are almost the same.
For winter semesters the application must be enrolled latest by 15th July and for summer semester the date is 15th January.
Admission Requirements for Btech from Germany
Some basic eligibility criteria are as follows:
- 13 years of formal school education
- Must have above 67% marks in senior secondary school (may be different for some university)
- Must clear the ‘feststellungspruefung’ - an entrance exam for various universities one has to take to signify effective completion of a preparatory course of studienkolleg
Language Proficiency Requirement
- If the program is taught in Germany: Students have to go through the German proficiency test that is ‘Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang’ and the TestDaF to be eligible for admission in the German universities.
- If the program is taught in English: Students have to pass the English proficiency exam ie. IELTS or TOEFL. Minimum score requirement for most of the admission to BTech in Germany is:
- IELTS: 6.5
- TOEFL (PBT): 220
Cost of Studying in BTech from Germany
Cost of studying in Germany can be divided into three broad categories: Pre-arrival cost, Tuition fees and Cost of Living.
It is tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (in EUR)|
|German Student Visa Application||75|
|Health Insurance||1236 - 1341|
|IELTS Fee||229 - 233|
|Airfare||250 - 600|
Tuition Fee of BTech from Germany
Most of the universities in Germany do not charge any tuition fees. However, a semester fee is charged which is approximately 200 EUR. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology has the highest annual tuition fee for BTech in Germany ie. 17,300 EUR.
Cost of Living in Germany
It is almost a myth that Germany has a very high cost of living. In comparison with other EU regions, the cost of living in Germany is less. An average cost of living of a student in Germany is around 8000-9000 Euros a year. Public transport is magnificent in the country. It costs around 44 Euros for one person and 6 Euros for one additional person.
A group of 4 is allowed at maximum. Public transport system in Germany is highly subsidized and thus it becomes convenient to travel out there. Moreover, the government of Germany is planning to make public transport absolutely free to combat air pollution. This will be another saving slot for the students and it will help to manage the financial impediment.
|Types Of Expenses||Average Expenditure Per Month (In Euros)|
|Food and beverages||15-25|
Accommodation and Food Cost for International Students in Germany
Accommodation seizes a large part of the monthly budget for the students. On average, the house rent in Germany costs around 300-550 Euros depending upon the area.
Germany has a system of interim renting. When a student plans to go away for a certain period of time then he/she re-rents the house to a new seeker at a cheaper price. This helps the newcomers to stay at low rent.
Apart from these, there is a system of student residence which costs around 250 Euros a month. Over 40% of international students opt for student residences.
Food in Germany is not very expensive. Meal from a normal/inexpensive restaurant costs about 10 Euros and Indian cuisines are available there in most of the restaurants. If someone is fond of beer or wine then also there is nothing to be worried about. A pint beer costs around 3 Euros.
On average, the cost of living in Germany attracts up to 800-850 Euros a month.
Financial Aid for BTech in Germany
The government of Germany is highly concerned about the students of their universities. An education loan in Germany is of ‘zero interest’ and has a flexible repayment system. The students can delay the repayment up to 5 years from the date of completing the degree.
In addition to that, following are the available scholarships for international students in Germany:
|Scholarship Program||Stipend Paid Per Month (In Euros)|
Job Opportunities after B.Tech in Germany
On average a mechanical engineer in Germany earns around 11,100 Euros a month. The highest salary goes around 18000 Euros and lowest seizes at 5200 Euros per month. Leading manufacturing sectors that offer jobs from the campus in Germany are Audi, BMW, Bosch, etc.
After completing the degree one can easily get a job and the remuneration is almost 4 times more than Indian corporate market.
Salaries earned by engineering after BTech in Germany is tabulated below:
|Job Role||Average Annual Salary (in EUR)|
|Electrical & Electronics Engineering||52,000|
|Civil & Environmental Engineering||55,000|
|Electronics & Computer Engineering||55,000|
Though a few companies in Germany hire non-German and English speaking people it is compensated as there are not many non-Germans. Also, the company that hires a non-German candidate provides almost a year of training so that they can learn the language. So jobs in Germany is never a matter of concern as ample opportunities are available there.
Ques. Can I study in German universities for free?
Ans. Only semester fee will be charged which is around 250 Euros for 6 months which also includes the travelling cost. The tuition fee is absolutely free.
Ques. Is speaking German necessary to apply for BTech in Germany?
Ans. No. You can speak in the English language and you have to be proficient in that.
Ques. Why is B.Tech in Germany better from other countries?
Ans. Considering the cost to pursue, Germany is better than other countries for B.Tech and other graduate or postgraduate degrees.
Ques. Can I easily get a Visa to study in Germany?
Ans. Apparently. Visa application is accepted in maximum cases.
Ques. Does the scholarship cover the cost of living?
Ans. The stipend amount is around 850-1200 Euros per month and it is sufficient for the living requirements.