Study MBA in Germany: Guide for International Students
MBA in Germany is a lucrative program available full-time, part-time and online. Germany is the largest economy in Europe, offers a wide range of opportunities to MBA aspirants. The country observed an MBA employment increase of 7% in the year 2018.
- More than 50 colleges and universities offer MBA in Germany.
- The annual cost of pursuing MBA in Germany ranges from 30,000 to 50,000 USD. This includes accommodation and living costs.
- 18 months extension on a visa while looking for jobs post-graduation.
- Postgraduates can secure jobs in functional areas like finance, business transformation, PR, business development, and others.
Why Study MBA in Germany?
- Six of the German Business School feature in the QS Global Business School Ranking.
- Three of these business schools lie within the top 100 QS rankings
- An increase of 10% was observed in MBA employment in the year 2017. A further 7% increase was observed for the year 2018.
- For European Business School Rankings (2018) by Financial times, six German business schools rank within the top 100 for their full-time MBA program.
- MBA degree in Germany costs 15% less than an MBA degree from the UK.
MBA in Germany: Types & Specializations
You can majorly enroll in two-three types of MBA programs. These are full-time, part-time, and executive.
- Full-time MBA in Germany: Mostly a 12-24 months program offered to young professionals with minimum experience of 2-5 years.
- Part-time MBA in Germany: Usually 24-48 months program available to professionals with minimum work experience of 2-5 years
- Executive MBA in Germany (EMBA): Available for professionals and executives with a minimum experience of 5 or more years, EMBA usually lasts for 12 months.
A wide range of specializations is offered at German B-schools and universities. Some of the popular specializations opted by international students along with the B-schools offering the program are listed below:
|Specialization||Institutes Offering the Course|
|MBA in Entrepreneurship||EU Business School, SRH Hochschule Berlin, etc|
|MBA in Finance||SIMT, EU Business School, etc|
|MBA in HR||GISMA Business School, University of Applied Sciences Mittelhessen, etc|
|MBA in Innovation||Munich Business School, Berlin School of Business and innovation, etc|
|MBA in International Management||Cologne Business School|
|MBA in Marketing||WHU Otto Beisheim Graduate School, GISMA Business School, etc|
|MBA in Leadership||HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management|
Top Universities for MBA in Germany
With around 7 universities ranking within the top 250 of QS Global Business School Ranking and around 3 universities ranking within the top 100 MBA schools as per FT Times, Germany has become the new global destination for MBA aspirants.
Some of the best universities for MBA in Germany have been listed below along with their QS global MBA ranking, university’s national ranking and
|QS Global MBA Rankings||National Ranking||University||Program Fees|
|#42||#1||Mannheim Business School||44200|
|#65||#4||Frankfurt School of Finance and Management||42500|
|#69||#6||WHU-Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management||43600|
|#94||#16||European School of Management & Technology (ESMT)||26300|
|#101-110||-||European Business School||42500|
|#111-120||-||HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management||42500|
|#151-200||-||Munich Business School||35800|
|-||#3||Technical University Munich||43500|
|-||#5||University of Cologne||38900|
|-||-||Business School Pforzheim||16500|
Mannheim Business School
The full-time MBA program of Mannheim is ranked #18 by Financial times globally. It is one of the two German MBA programs to be recognized in the FT. The B-school offers EMBA, two joint EMBA, FT MBA, and PT MBA programs. You can apply for any specific program on a rolling basis as per eligibility and requirements.
- GPA: Minimum grade of B+. The percentage equivalent to the same is 75-79%.
- GMAT Score: Minimum 600. If an applicant score 650 or above they are awarded 223 USD.
- Work Experience: Minimum 3 years. International experience is also considered.
- Language Proficiency: International applicants from non-native English speaking countries are required to submit proof of English language proficiency. German language proficiency is not a minimum requirement but is highly recommended.
- Proof of ELP: You can submit ELP test scores as proof of English proficiency. The minimum test score requirements are:
- TOEFL: 95
- IELTS: 7.0
Applicants with leadership potential are preferred over others. A web-based interview is conducted post the review of admission applications. A successful interview is followed by a case study work at home. Post completion of the case study work, an interview with program management is conducted.
Frankfurt School of Finance and Management (FS)
It is the highest scoring institution in terms of employability offering finance grounded FS-MBA programs. Along with FT-MBA, PT-MBA, and EMBA, FS also offers MBA in International Healthcare Management.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- GMAT/GRE Score: There are no specific minimum score requirements. As the admissions at the school are highly competitive, applicants are hence requested to ensure that they score GMAT scores equivalent to other popular schools in Germany.
- Work Experience: Minimum of three years of work experience post completion of a graduate degree.
- Proof of ELP: Test score requirements for admission are as follows:
- TOEFL: 90
- IELTS: 7.0
- German language proficiency is not a minimum requirement but is highly recommended.
Applications for the school’s FT MBA program must be made by July 31. On review of the applications and documents submitted, you are required to submit case study assignments. Qualified candidates will be called for interview post submission of these assignments.
WHU-Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management
Ranked in the Top 100 for its FT-MBA program by The Economists in 2016, WHU-Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management is also known for its EMBA program. The EMBA program is run with Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management.
- Undergraduate or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- GMAT/GRE Scores: Minimum score requirements for GMAT is 600. You can also submit equivalent GRE scores.
- Work Experience: Minimum experience required is two years.
- FT MBA program applicants are required to submit a completed questionnaire along with the applications. Find the questionnaire here.
- Proof of ELP: You must fulfill the following minimum test score requirements for admission at the school:
- TOEFL: 100
- IELTS: 7.0
FT MBA applicants who require a visa to study in Germany are required to submit their applications by February 29 (April intake) and July 31 (September intake). Part-time MBA applicants can submit their applications by July 31. The admissions committee and the program faculty conducts an interview post review of the applications.
ESMT offers MBA program with two specializations- Managing Innovation & technology and Global Sustainable Business. ESMT is ranked among the top 100 schools in The Financial Times’ global MBA ranking (2019 global ranking- 70). The full-time MBA program is ranked #64 by The Financial Times.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- GMAT/GRE Scores: Minimum GMAT score requirement is 640. You can also submit equivalent GRE scores.
- Work Experience: Three years of post-graduate work experience is the minimum requirement.
- Proof of ELP: You must submit the following minimum test scores:
- TOEFL: 94
- IELTS: 7.0
- German language proficiency scores are not required.
After applications and the documents are received and reviewed by the admissions committee, interviews for qualified candidates will be conducted. If you are an international applicant, it is suggested that the applications are submitted by November 4.
European Business School (EBS)
With its multiple campuses across Europe, EBS Germany is ranked at #2 (nationally) and #22 (globally) by Eduniversal for its FT MBA program (2018). International students can apply for the fall term by May 0 and for the spring term by October 01.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject
- GMAT/GRE Score: Minimum score required in GMAT is 550. You can also submit its GRE equivalent.
- Work experience: Three years of professional experience is required.
- Proof of ELP: The minimum test scores required for admission are:
- TOEFL: 90
- IELTS: 6.5
- German language proficiency is recommended.
Once the applications are reviewed, the qualifying candidates are called for a 50 minutes verbal interview. The applicants are judged on their social, motivational and communication skills during the interview.
Admission Requirements for MBA in Germany
The general admission and the document requirements for admissions in MBA in Germany are given in the checklist below:
- Standardized test scores
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Language Proficiency: International applicants are required to submit scores for test of English and Germany (in some cases) proficiency for pursuing studies in Germany.
- Letters of recommendation (two to three)
- Valid Id: International applicants can submit a passport.
- Health insurance
- Case study assignments, wherever required.
- Experience letters
- Supporting documents: Other documents detailing your professional and personal details. These can include supporting essay, motivational letter, etc.
MBA without GMAT in Germany
Performed poorly in your GMAT? Have missed the exam and still want to study in Germany? Some of the universities that accept applications without a GMAT score include the Technical University of Munich, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Cologne Business School, Accadis Hochschule Bad Homburg, etc.
MBA in Germany: Cost
Planning to study abroad? The cost of studying abroad includes expenses like costs of various standardized tests, travel & stay, tuition fees, study material, etc. The detailed expenses you may incur when planning to pursue an MBA in Germany are given below:
The money that you will spend on tests, flight tickets, application forms, etc even before you have actually started the program are pre-arrival expenses. Some of these are given below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (USD)|
|Program Application Fees||145*|
|German Student Visa Application Fees||84 (75 Euro)|
*Depends on the university. Some of the top B-schools do not charge additional tuition fees.
**Depends on the age of the applicant. The health insurance cost in Euros is 80-160 Euro/month.
Once you have been offered admissions by a German university or college, you are likely to spend on the tuition fees, accommodation, travel & transport, and other personal expenses. The details for these are as follows:
Tuition Fees for MBA in Germany
The tuition fee comparison for pursuing MBA in Germany from some of the top-ranking B-schools is given below:
Please note: The costs (annual) are given in USD and are approximate tuition for the program.
MBA in USA from the top ranking universities can cost Indian students a heavy sum of 80,00,000 Lakhs (INR). Similarly, for MBA in Canada Indian students have to pay the tuition of around 60,00,000 Lakhs (INR). However, in Germany MBA may cost an Indian student around 10,00,000 Lakhs (INR).
Cost of Living in Germany
The monthly cost of living on-campus or off-campus in the cities where the top-ranking German universities are located ranges from 392 to 1100 USD. The cost of food ranges from 160-470 USD. Including the monthly student health insurance, transportation, accommodation, and food & social activities, an expenditure of around 840-1200 USD can be expected for living & traveling in Germany.
Scholarships for MBA in Germany
International students are welcomed to study in Germany. Pursuing an MBA abroad can cost you a large sum. Germany offers its international MBA applicants with a variety of scholarships. These include both privately funded and government scholarships. Some of the popular scholarships in the German universities are listed below:
|Mannheim Business School||Multiple merit-based scholarships for outstanding and excellent students||Outstanding students- 7800 Excellent students- 1100-2200|
|Frankfurt||FS MBA scholarship||Covers partial tuition fees for all eligible MBA applicants|
|WHU-Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management||Scholarship for participants from developing countries Excellent GMAT result scholarships||Varies|
|ESMT||German language scholarship for non-native speakers||2200-4400 (depending on proficiency score)|
Other Scholarships available for pursuing MBA in Germany
Various government-funded scholarships are available for graduates in Germany. Some of the popular scholarships available in Germany are:
- HHL Young Leader Scholarships in Germany: The scholarship partially funds the eligible applicants from all the nationalities with at least 25% of the tuition.
- Women in Business Scholarship: Offered by various universities to their women applicants for encouraging female participation in business programs. The funding under this scholarship varies from university to university.
- DAAD Scholarships: Government-funded scholarships available to international students studying in Germany at various degree levels.
- Erasmus+ Scholarships: These are the largest scholarship providers funding international students studying across Europe at different degree levels.
Job Prospects After MBA in Germany
MBA graduates can occupy positions in sectors like Consulting, Technology, Ecommerce, Finance, Technology, Education, Automotive, and Marketing. The 2018 class of ESMT was employed in the following major sectors:
The employment statistics for the 2018 class of Frankfurt School are as follows:
Roles for MBA Graduates in Germany
SMEs (Small and Medium-sized Enterprises) in Germany form the backbone of the Economy by contributing up to 51% in the GDP. The job prospects for MBA graduates are buoyed by the creation of around 250,000 jobs in these SMEs every year. Some of the popular roles offered to MBA graduates and the job descriptions are given below:
|Roles offered||Job Description|
|Consultant||Organizing and executing business projects on behalf of clients|
|Business Development Manager||Establishing contact with potential clients and planning marketing initiatives.|
|Product & Project Manager||Taking charge of the product/project and planning the administration development and budgeting of the same.|
|Strategist||Determining and analyzing strategies that help in fulfilling the organization's goals.|
|Marketing||Identifying a target audience for the product type and develop pricing strategies|
|Operations Manager||Analyzing and improving processes, work quality, and efficiency within the organization.|
For MBA graduates in Germany, it is possible to get an 18-months extension while they are searching for jobs. With a high return on investment, an MBA in Germany can land you in jobs with cushy median salaries of around 77,000 USD with supplemental bonuses of around 17,000 USD.
Ques. How to get an MBA in Germany?
Ans. You are required to have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, have a TOEFL/IELTS score, GMAT score, and work experience for being eligible to apply for an MBA in Germany.
Ques. How much does an MBA in Germany cost for Indian Student?
Ans. The minimum cost for pursuing MBA in Germany from some of the top ranking universities is around INR 10,00,000 Lakhs.
Ques. How much does an MBA post graduate in Germany earn?
Ans. After completion of an MBA in Germany, you can earn an average yearly salary of 77,000 USD. Supplemental bonuses of around 17,000 USD can also be earned.
Ques. Is GMAT score mandatory for pursuing MBA in Germany?
Ans. Many universities like TUM, Cologne Business Law, Accadis Hochschule Bad Homburg, and Berlin School of Economics and Law accepts applicants without a GMAT score in their MBA program.
Ques. Is work experience mandatory for pursuing MBA in Germany?
Ans. It is mandatory to have a work experience post completion of the UG degree. The minimum requirement of work experience may vary among universities.