University of Cologne World Rankings, National Rankings, Subject-Specific Rankings 2020-2021
University of Cologne is a university in Cologne, Germany and was sixth university to be established in Central Europe. The University was established in 1388 as the fourth university in the Holy Roman Empire. University of cologne is one of the largest universities in Germany with more than 48,000 students.
Faculty in University of Cologne are well known in their field and has received many prestigious awards. University of cologne has manynotable alumni like Kurt Alder - Nobel Prize in Chemistry, 1950, Peter Grünberg -Nobel Prize in Physics, 2007, Heinrich Böll - Nobel Prize for Literature, Karl Carstens - president of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1979–1984, Gustav Heinemann - president of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1969 to 1974 and many more.
Currently University has 4000 active projects. Some of the recent discovery by the university science department:-
- There was a press release where zoologist of University of Cologne had studied fruit flies nervous system and were able to gain valuable results which can further be used for efficient artificial intelligence.
- Takaki Maekawa and his college from university has found about a plant which has evolved a familiar immunity system as animal.
- Researchers of university also discover mechanism that could restore cell functioning after genome damage.
University of Cologne World Ranking Highlights
Overall score given to University of Cologne by CWUR is 78.8.
University of Cologne National Ranking
University of cologne is one of the oldest universities in country and has a good reputation in Germany for education it provides.
Table given below provides ranking of university of cologne in Germany by various agency:
University of Cologne Subject Wise Ranking By US News
Following are the ranking indicators that are used by the agency to rank programs offered at University of Cologne
- Global research reputation - 12.5%
- Regional research reputation - 12.5%
- Publications - 10%
- Books - 2.5%
- Conferences - 2.5%
- Normalized citation impact - 10%
- Total citations - 7.5%
- Number of publications that are among the 10% most cited - 12.5%
- Percentage of total publications that are among the 10% most cited - 10%
- International collaboration – relative to country - 5%
- International collaboration - 5%
- Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited in their respective field - 5%
- Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1% most highly cited papers - 5%
Table given below is subject wise ranking of University of Cologne by US News:-
|Arts and humanities||134|
|Biology and biochemistry||136|
|Cardiac and cardiovascular system||181|
|Economics and business||201|
|Molecular biology and genetics||124(tie)|
|Neuroscience and behaviour||141(tie)|
|Pharmacology and toxicology||158(tie)|
|Plant and animal science||108(tie)|
|Radiology, nuclear medicine and medical imaging||58|
|Social science and public health||248(tie)|
University of Cologne THE Ranking 2021
- Rankings cover the three main missions of university activity: research, teaching and impact.
- Research ranking evaluates essential areas of activity: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
- Impact ranking calibrated indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparisons across four broad areas: research, outreach, stewardship and teaching
- Teaching ranking is geographically focused and explores four key areas: resources, engagement, outcomes and environment.
Table given below shows subject wise rank of university of cologne by THE:-
|Arts and humanities||101-125|
|Clinical, pre-clinical and health||151-175|
|Business and economics||251-300|
University of Cologne QS Ranking 2021
According to Alexa Internet, it is the most widely viewed university ranking worldwide.
- Academic Reputation from Global Survey - 40%
- Faculty Student Ratio - 20%
- Citations per Faculty from Scopus - 20%
- Employer Reputation from Global Survey - 10%
- Proportion of International Students - 5%
- Proportion of International Faculty - 5%
Table given below shows subject wise ranking of University of Cologne for three consecutive years:
|Classics and ancient history||31||39||37|
|Art and humanities||164(tie)||161(tie)||191(tie)|
|Economics and econometrics||151-200||151-200||201-250|
|Law and legal studies||151-200||151--200||201-250|
|Life science and medicine||183(tie)||172(tie)||180(tie)|
|Social science and management||217(tie)||201(tie)||242(tie)|
|Business and management studies||201-250||151-200||251-300|
|Accounting and finance||201-250||151-200||151-200|
|English language and literature||251-300||251-300||251-300|
|Physics and astronomy||251-300||201-250||251-300|
|Computer science and information system||551-600||-||-|
In the above table we see the progresses of individual subjects through the course of three consecutive years.
University of Cologne CWUR Ranking
- Research output, total number of research paper – 10%
- High quality publication, number of papers appearing in top tier journal – 10%
- Influence, number of research paper appearing in high influential journal – 10%
- Citation, number of high cited newspaper – 10%
University of Cologne vs Other Universities: Comparison
Tabulated below is the comparison between University of Cologne and Technical University of Berlin on parameters important for an international aspirant to compare and pin down on the best suited university.
|University/College||Technical University of Berlin||University of Cologne||University of Munich LMU|
|Location||Berlin, Germany||Cologne, Germany||Munich, Germany|
|Research output||Very high||Very high||Very high|
|Total percentage of international students||26%||18%||17%|
University of Cologne is one of the best universities foreconomics and has constantly been at top position for law and business, both innational as well as ininternational ranking. As you can see in above comparison that University of Cologne is one of the top universities in Germany for doing masters. It provides students with best professors and education facilities which ensures their development. Exams and curriculum of course is well framed and well-structured for student which will ensure their progress.
Students who pursue courses in commerce department such as economics and business management where able to get placements in some of thereputed firms because of universities reputation for their education in that particular programme.The university is also very active in research as mentioned in introduction. There are press release related to discoveries the faculty and professors who are also researcher canguidestudents with their vast experience and knowledge.