University of Duisburg-Essen: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Duisburg-Essen is one of the largest universities located in Ruhr Metropolitan region, Germany. The University of Duisburg-Essen was founded in 1654 and re-established on 1 January 2003, as a merger of the Gerhard Mercator University of Duisburg and the University of Essen.
The University of Duisburg-Essen is globally recognized as a public research University having 5 profile focal points in the research. The University does not discriminate on grounds of caste, race, religion or sex and provides equal opportunities to all its students.
The University also teaches to develop sustainable designs and solutions to its students. The University offers a broad spectrum of subjects ranging from Humanities, Social Sciences, education, economics, engineering, natural Sciences and medicines through a total of over 230 courses of study. The University nurtures around 42,294 students from over 130 countries out of which 19% of the students are international students out of which 63% are Asians through its 11 departments.
University of Duisburg-Essen Rankings
The University is ranked as:
- Third in a global comparison of the performance of best universities founded since the turn of Millennium.
- 14th among the best 200 universities worldwide younger than 50 years old by Times Higher Education ranking.
- Cultivate partnerships with more than a hundred universities all over the world.
|Public funding||363.00 million Euros|
|External funding||137.20 million Euros|
|Cost of Attendance||No tuition fees charged; 319.11 Euros social and student body fee|
|Total No. of students||42,294|
|Financial aid||Grants, scholarships, loans|
|Admission helpdesk||Tel: +49 (0)203-379 3704/ 2304|
University of Duisburg-Essen Campus
- The University's main campus is situated in the heart of the metropolitan city of Ruhr in Germany.
- The university possesses two green and compact campuses that are diverse and rich in culture.
- The University Campus has a world-class infrastructure including fully-furnished classrooms, lecture theatres, auditoriums, libraries, Laboratories, computer labs, printing center, cafeterias, canteens, etc.
- Students can join various student clubs and organizations in the fields of sports, music, theatre, radio and newspaper, cinema, religious communities, political communities etc. To ensure extra-curricular participation among themselves.
- The cities of Duisburg and Essen are a hub of student attracting activities with various famous landmarks to visit.
- Moreover, the Ruhr Metropolis is full of surprises and is also known as the European capital of culture.
University of Duisburg-Essen Residence
- The University of Duisburg-Essen does not offer any dormitory places to its students.
- However, students wishing to find an accommodation facility in the city are required to contact the studierendenwerk housing Association which offers dormitories and guest houses in Essen and Duisburg.
- There are around 19 dormitories offered by this association with more than 2500 fully furnished Dorm rooms with all basic amenities including electricity, water, heating, internet connection, common lounge, common Kitchen, etc.
- Moreover, there are several other organizations offering accommodation facilities to the students of Duisburg and Essen
- Students looking for accommodation facilities in the cities of Duisburg and Essen are required to apply online for the same at respective associations’ websites.
University of Duisburg-Essen Programs
- University of Duisburg-Essen offers around 230 courses under its bachelor’s, Master’s, doctoral and State examination courses curriculum.
- You can choose from numerous degree programs as well as teacher training and medicine.
- The university offers a broad spectrum of subject ranges from Humanities, Social Sciences, economics, education, engineering, natural Sciences and medicines being the most popular among them.
- The university offers special International Studies in Engineering (ISE) courses to cover a wider spectrum of engineering disciplines.
- The university also offers dual degree programs.
- Almost 63% of the students studying at the university belong to Asian countries.
- The graduates of Finance Control & Strategy get a maximum starting package post completing their course.
- Other popular courses include Advanced General Dental Practice (M.Sc.), Business Administration - Energy and Finance (M.Sc.), Chemistry (B.Sc.), Chemistry (M.Sc.), etc.
University of Duisburg-Essen Application process
How to apply?
Application portal: Online via uni-assist (for bachelors applicants) and via UDE applicant portal (for masters applicants)
Application fee: No
Application Deadlines: January 15 (for the summer semester) and July 15 (for the winter semester).
Document requirements for international bachelor degree program applicants
- Secondary School qualification certificate or equivalents
- University entrance exam if applicable
- A bachelor degree only for Masters applicants
- Complete certain study achievements in some cases
- Proof of English language (A TOEFL-test (internet-based) with a score of 100 points, an IELTS test with a band score of 7.5)
- Proof of further language skills
- International students need good German language skills for the Master's Programme "Urban Culture, Society and Space" because most of the courses are offered in German.
- A copy of valid passport
- Health Insurance
University of Duisburg-Essen Cost of attendance
- The University of Duisburg-Essen does not charge any tuition fees from its national and international students.
- However, each student is required to pay the social and student body fee per semester which is 319.11 Euros
- The social and student body fee consists of mobility contribution ticket which is 208.38 Euros social contribution for studierendenwerk 95 EUR and student body fee of 15.73 EUR
- The other expenses for international students living in Germany include food, clothing, leisure and miscellaneous expenses depending on the lifestyle of an individual. Approx. living expenses include:
- Rent- 323 Euros
- Food- 168 Euros
- Transport & Communication- 94 Euros
- Work/study material- 20 Euros
- Leisure material- 61 Euros
University of Duisburg-Essen Financial aid for international students
- University offers various financial aids to its international students planning to study in Germany including scholarships, grants and loans.
- There are various scholarships offered by various foundations and institutions.
- Moreover, the University of Duisburg-Essen also offers various scholarships to its students based on merit and needs of the individual students.
Types of scholarships at University of Duisburg-Essen
- Study Scholarships - Master Studies for All Academic Disciplines • DAAD
- Research Grants – Short-Term Grants • DAAD
- Research Grants – One-Year Grants for Doctoral Candidates • DAAD
- Research Grants – Doctoral Programs in Germany • DAAD
Students are needed to apply for the specific scholarship which they want to seek.
University of Duisburg-Essen Alumni
- The university has a vast alumni network of graduate professionals. It offers many growing opportunities to the graduates.
- The maximum paid University of Duisburg-Essen’ alumni & graduates are Finance Control & Strategy professionals.
- The average salary received by then is 118,000 Euros annually.
Some of the notable alumni of the university include:
- Gorden Wagener, the chief design officer for Daimler AG
- Cornelius Boersch, serial entrepreneur and business angel
- Osagie Ehanire, Nigerian medical doctor and politician
- Petra Kammerevert, German politician
- Suzie Kerstgens, German singer
University of Duisburg-Essen Placement
- The university career service team guides and mentors its students covering various ranges of topics.
- The job market of the University of Duisburg-Essen advertises more than 200 new jobs and internship offers per month.
- Career service team helps the students to find a job well suited to them based on their individual needs and desires.
- The university career service team acts as a mediator between the employers and the university's graduates.
- It also organizes various job fairs and job markets to provide a platform to both its students and the employers.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.uni-due.de/international/degree_seeking_students.php
UNIVERSITY OF DUISBURG-ESSEN ACCOMMODATION
Student life at UBC is created by enthusiasm, curiosity, and a willingness to discover. In other words, it is yours to create. The Vancouver and Okanagan campuses provide a diverse range of cultural, recreational and social activities for students at UBC. With so many choices, students can learn new skills or sports; discover talents they never knew they had and make friendships that will create memories for a lifetime. Tuum Est. It is yours.
Times Higher Education
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
RANKED #751 - #800
My sister's friend had suggested to me this college as he also graduated from here and now is doing great and working at a top-notch company. He is also earning a handsome amount of money. I was attracted to his growth and decided to opt for this university. I applied online through the uni-assist app for € 75.
Course Curriculum :
I had an excellent course curriculum designed by experts. The curriculum inculcated the skills needed to succeed as a business leader in the near future. The course is providing in-depth knowledge by the means of various subjects being taught in the class to be a great and emerging leader in the coming time.
Right from the beginning of the course, I was sanctioned to take my own decisions. I was also provided with the labs for practical research work. This independence of work provided by the university has helped me to understand the topics better. I applied to the university with the help of an application form.
Course Curriculum :
I am studying a broad degree. In the first semesters, I was taught the basics in the subjects of mathematics, mechanics, science and technical presentation. I also had some lectures in computer science, electrical engineering, materials technology, and machine elements. In the following semesters, I will be having an opportunity to decide on the various specializations, depending on the field that I chose to study.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Train Station
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary