Founded in 1972, the University of Paderborn is a non-profit public university located in Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. With over 20,300 students including both national and international, Paderborn University is recognized as the University for Information Society.
The university has a strong foundation in computer science and applications; besides, the university also provides significant importance to IT for a growing number of disciplines.
|Location||Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||1:48|
|Percentage of International Students||9%|
|Admission Helpdesk||+49 5251 60-1818|
The university has the following five faculties that cover a broad range of studies in various disciplines-
1. Arts and Humanities
2. Business Administration and Economics
4. Mechanical Engineering
5. Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Mathematics
According to Times Higher Education (THE) 2017, the university ranked 501-600 across the globe.
In the Shanghai Ranking 2018, the field of Mathematics at the University of Paderborn has achieved a ranking within the top 75 universities worldwide.
Studierendenwerk (student services) helps to find suitable accommodation for students.
• Student accommodations: There are two main on-campus dormitories: Vogeliusweg and Peter-Hille-Weg. Rooms are equipped with a bed, desk, a clothing wardrobe, chair, and Internet facilities.
1. Vogeliusweg- It provides shared apartment facility to the students. They need to share kitchen and bathroom.
2. Peter-Hille-Weg- It provides small, single apartment with an ensuite bathroom and individual kitchen.
• Wohngemeinschaft (shared student apartment): Students get individual room equipped with furniture but have shared bathroom and kitchen.
• Apartments: Students get individual room with their own bathroom and cooking facility.
• Rooms with family or private persons: Students can live with a German, who is not a student.
Students can apply through the official website of the university.
Application deadline: Summer Semester
|Admission-free study courses/subjects||Periods|
General Requirements: Secondary school leaving certificate, a result of university entrance examination (If taken), transcript of records of all academic years, original APS certificate (if required).
University diploma certificate in case the student has already graduated in their home country
Additional Requirements: card/passport copy, valid student visa, current residence document, health insurance
German proficiency tests with minimum grade
1. DSH level 2
2. TestDaF certificate with level 4 in all four sections
3. Deutsches Sparchdiplom Stufe II issued by the “Deutsche Kultursministerkonferenz”
4. Feststellungprüfung from a recognized foundation college affiliated to any German university
English proficiency tests: Different master courses need different level of English proficiency scores:
Computer Science/Physics/Electrical Systems Engineering (in English medium)
|TOEFL||Minimum 550 (pencil & paper) resp. 585 (ESE) or 80 (internet) resp. 87 (ESE)|
|Cambridge ESOL||CPE, CAE- grade B, FCE- grade A|
|IELTS||6.5 (Computer Science), 6.0 (Physics, Electrical Systems Eng.)|
Computer Science (in German medium)
|TOEFL||Minimum 500 (pencil & paper) or 61 (internet)|
|Cambridge ESOL||CPE, CAE- grade C, FCE- grade B|
International Economics and Management
|TOEFL||87 (internet based)|
|Business English Certificate (BEC)||Level B2|
With any German language certificate
Without any German language certificate
|TOEFL||80 (iBT) or 550 (paper & pencil)|
|Semester Fees||290 Euro|
|For DSH students||290 Euro+550 Euro (course fee)|
Monthly on-campus accommodation cost:
|Shared apartment||275-295 Euros|
|Single apartment||305 Euros|
Monthly off-campus accommodation cost:
|Shared apartment||325-350 Euros|
|Single Apartment||350-380 Euros|
|Rent||250 Euro-300 Euro|
|Health insurance||ca. 80 Euro|
|Food||ca. 200 Euro|
|Leisure||min. 80 Euro|
|Semester fees||ca. 290 Euro/semester|
|Miscellaneous||50 Euro-100 Euro|
|Total||800 Euro-900 Euro|
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a number of scholarships for academics, international students, and scientists/researchers from all countries.
Students can pick scholarships suitable to them.
|Start of Application process||-|
|End of Application process||January 15, 2019|