University of Wuerzburg: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Also known as Julius-Maximilians-University, the University of Wuerzburg is a public university situated in the Wuerzburg region of Germany. It was established 600 years ago in 1402, making it one of the oldest universities in Germany. JMU was the sixth institution of higher education in earlier Germany. The university has given many famous scholars and scientists that include 14 Nobel laureates, including Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen and Emil Fischer.
The university has an extensive choice of subjects at various degree levels. University of Wuerzburg offers 250 degree programs with about 28,277 students enrolled. The university has contributed significantly to varying areas of science and medicine. JMU’s research centres have pushed the institution into the top tier of Germany’s academic institutions and continues to have a high standing in the scientific community.
Due to the Covid-19 epidemic, for the Winter Semester of 2020-2021, the University of Wuerzburg will not accept international applications after July 15, 2020. Notarized copies and translations won't be required until the enrollment at the university.
- In 2019, the university was ranked 159th worldwide by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THE)
- As per the 2018 Nature Index Ranking, JMU was ranked at 84th position worldwide and 4th within Germany.
- The ARWU (Shanghai-Ranking) positioned the university among top 200 universities worldwide in 2018
- The ARWU 2018 ranked its biomedical programs in the top 100, life sciences, biology and chemistry in top 150 and pharma, physics, dentistry in top 200 universities.
|Budget||632 Million EUR|
|Courses offered||Pre-professional, undergraduate and graduate – masters, diploma and doctoral|
|International student percentage||9% (2,600)|
|Academic calendar||Semester System|
|International Admission helpdesk||+49 931 31-82805
- The university comprise of 10 faculties and is big enough to offer a wide range of 250+ degree programs
- The campus of the University of Wuerzburg has numerous research centres with University hospitals & faculties and research networks.
- The university has five well endowed museums including science museums and a botanical garden.
- The university also has excellent sport facilities, an advanced main library with e-resources and wi-fi facilities and language centre for international students.
- JMU does not provide accommodation to international students however for exchange students guaranteed accommodation in dormitory is provided.
- International students can find accommodation while studying in Germany by checking nearby private flats/rooms and dormitories.
- For a few days on arrival, university dormitories may be available for the international students in search of accommodations.
- University of Wuerzburg provides bachelor and master study programs which exceed 250 in number.
- The university offers Bachelor and master degree in following courses: Information technology, Business administration, Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer science, Education, Geography, German studies, Physics, Political science, Psychology, Medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, law and more.
- The university also offers parallel courses and postgraduate courses in Medicine, European law and other fields. Further education courses are also offered in the Executive Master of Business Administration.
- Doctoral degrees are offered by the university in almost all study areas, interdisciplinary fields with supplementary multidisciplinary courses.
- The university offers the following Master’s program in English language: M.Sc. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Ecology, Mathematics International, Quantum Engineering, Biosciences, Molecular & Computational Biology, Physics international and MA in Chinese studies.
JMU Application Process
International applicants may apply for admission at the University of Wuerzburg online. Hard copy of the form is required to be sent along with documents to the University to complete the admission process.
International students must note that the University of Wurzburg has both unrestricted and restricted admission programs. For unrestricted courses, the application process is not required and direct enrolment is provided. The restricted category is the normal kind of admission with a limited number of seats available, hence requiring a proper application process.
Application form: -University of Wuerzburg International Application
Application deadline: -
- Summer semester: January 15
- Winter semester: July 15
Required documents and eligibility: -
- Original application physically signed
- Certified copy of all certificates from college/high-school
- Official translation of certificates if any certificate is not in English.
- German language proficiency – only for courses being offered in German language:
DSH-Exam or Assessment Exam from a Studienkolleg
|Bachelor, Teaching degree||B2|
|Master international economic policy||A2|
|Master chemistry and management||B2|
|Master (rest all programs)||DSH2/DSH3 or equivalent|
- Passport copy
- Resume – if applicable
- Letter of recommendation – if applicable
Send the application through post or by in person: -
International Students Office
Cost of attendance
- There is no tuition fee at University of Wuerzburg.
- However, there are other costs to be considered.
- Apart from a semester contribution of 129.90 EUR per semester, students will incur the following estimated costs per month.
|Expense||Amount in EUR|
Estimated annual cost of attendance for candidates pursuing a degree program at the University of Wuerzburg is 8,660 EUR.
Financial aid for International Students
- JMU suggests that international students seek financial aid to study in Germany from their own home countries.
- The German Academic exchange service (DAAD) provides scholarships to selected students in full-time study and doctoral degree in Germany. DAAD has offices in many countries worldwide.
- Emergency funds are also provided by the institute.
- On a financial and merit basis, DAAD or Bavarian state provides study completion grants to international students studying in a higher semester of a Master or doctoral program.
- The university has given 14 Nobel laureates, Leibniz laureates and a large number of scholars.
- The university has a vast alumni network of people from different backgrounds and regions.
- Notable alumni from University of Würzberg are: -
- Leibniz laureates: Dr Jorg Vogel, Dr Laurens Molenkamp
- Nobel laureate: Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen (Physics), Emil Fischer (Chemistry), Johannes Stark (Physics), Karl Landsteiner (Medicine), Wilhelm Wien (Physics), Hans Spemann (Medicine), Hartmut Michel (Chemistry) Svante Arrhenius (Chemistry) and many more.
- The university uses the CareerLink platform to where employers can post vacancies and students and alumni can apply.
- Job fairs are conducted where many companies gather to provide jobs. Generally, German language is a major requirement for getting placed.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #176 - #200
View More >>
QS World University
After completion of my bachelor's, I was searching for colleges that offer programs about satellites and engineering related to it. I was unable to find the same at my place. So I searched for colleges in Germany as it has less cost of accommodation as well as for studies. I applied to this college online via the International office accessible at the official website of the college.
Course Curriculum :
My studies provided in-depth knowledge by means of different subjects. It is inculcating enough knowledge in us so that we can do well in the same field and can have a better future.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary