Get $150 Scholarship!

Hong Kong Student Visa- Requirement, Application, Fee, Processing Time

Risha Sinha Risha Sinha
Content Curator

Do you need a Hong Kong student visa/entry permit?

Chinese residents of the Mainland of China and Taiwan: Need an entry permit instead of a student visa to study in Hong Kong.

Nationals of Afghanistan, Laos, Korea, Cambodia, Cubas, Nepal, and Vietnam: Not eligible for any of the visas and hence, can not study in Hong Kong.

Others: If you are planning to study in Hong Kong and are not a resident of the country, then you must obtain a student visa or an entry permit for study. It will be issued by the Immigration Department before entering Hong Kong.

Requirements for Hong Kong Student Visa

The acceptance rate of the Hong Kong student visa is nearly 90 percent. To apply for a student visa, you need to nominate a local sponsor that can either be

  • The university granting you admission
  • An individual above 18 years of age living in Hong Kong who is financially-abled to sponsor your education and provide accommodation.

In the latter case, you should sign and submit a Declaration by Financial Sponsor.

Forms Required for Student Visa Application

Both the forms - Form ID 995A (visa application form for the student) and Form ID 995B (visa application form for the sponsor) - can be downloaded online from You can also collect from the offices of the Immigration Department free of cost.

Documents Required for Student Visa Application

  • Acceptance letter from the university (mandatory)
  • A passport valid for the entire course of study
  • One passport sized recent photograph
  • A copy of Identity Card/travel document (only for international applicants currently staying in Hong Kong)
  • A copy of scores on the highest public examination with certificates
  • Scores other qualifications like IELTS or TOEFL (compulsory for non-native English speakers)
  • Proof of your financial condition including your latest bank statement(s), tax returns, etc. to show that you can support your living expenses in Hong Kong.
  • Proof of USD 15,300 is expected
  • Award letter of scholarship (if any)
  • Proof of accommodation arrangement in Hong Kong

Application Process for Hong Kong Student Visa

When and how to apply?

The processing time of Hong Kong Student Visa is around 6-8 weeks. It is advised to apply for a visa as soon as you receive your university acceptance letter.

  • Both application forms i.e. ID 995A and Form ID 995B must be duly completed and signed.
  • Submit the application forms along with the required documents through the local sponsor in Hong Kong or directly to the following address:

                                                         Receipt and Despatch Sub-Unit

                                             Hong Kong Immigration Department

                                             2/F, Immigration Tower

                                             7 Gloucester Road

                                             Wan Chai, Hong Kong

  • You can also submit them to the nearest Chinese diplomatic mission in your home country

Note: Missing even one supporting document can lead to cancelation or delay in seeking a visa. It is advised to regularly track the status of your application online on the Online Application System for Student visa/entry permit.

Activation of Student Visa

The Hong Kong Immigration Department will send a student visa package comprising a sticker label, an approval letter and a No Objection Letter.

Affix the sticker to a visa page of your passport. You will be asked to present the visa level at the Immigration Counter at the Hong Kong airport.

Visa/Entry Permit Fee

You can remit the fee in cash, by debit/credit card, or by cheque to the Chinese diplomatic and consular mission. The cheque should be drawn in favor of "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region".

Non-refundable visa feeUSD 70.20
Courier Fee (if applicable)USD 37

Hong Kong Identity Card

You need to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID Card) if you hold a student visa and will be in the country for more than 180 days. According to the Hong Kong law, it is compulsory to carry HKID at all times.

Apply for an HKID card within 30 days of arrival in person at the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department

Renewal of Student Visa

The duration of your student visa depends on the course of your study program. Overstaying beyond the validity of the student visa is an immigration offense. You must leave the country within 4 weeks from the date of termination of the study.

  • Apply for renewal of student visa at least one month before the limit of your old visa expires
  • Extension of stay is usually for a year.
  • The application form to stay, study or work after completion of the study program is different.
  • Processing time: 2 to 3 weeks

Documents required for Renewal of Student Visa

  • A duly completed application form ID 91
  • Travel document
  • HK Identity Card
  • A letter from the institution stating that the student requires the extension of stay.

Dependent Visa

Hong Kong allows full-time students to bring their spouse or unmarried dependent children (under the age of 18) with them. In this case, students will be acting as sponsors for their accompanying dependents. The sponsor has to provide proof of financial ability to support their living expenses with suitable accommodation.

  • Dependents will be granted the permission to stay for 12 months which can be extended later upon request.
  • They can also enroll in a university in Hong Kong. However, they can not take up employment unless they obtain a work permit from the Director of Immigration.

Note: Nationals of Afghanistan and Korea are not eligible for a dependent visa.

Looking for Admissions here? or need Help?Register Now