The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Admission 2020-2021, Requirement, Deadline & Acceptance Rate
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST) is a highly reputed Research Institute in Hong kong. The major disciplines in which the courses are delivered include Engineering, Science, Business & Management, Humanities & Social Science.
University offers courses at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. For admission, International students must provide SAT or ACT test results along with the English language proficiency certificate. GRE or GMAT results may be asked for some Postgraduate admissions.
- Postgraduate admission needs 2-5 Professional/Academic references.
- Admission to any of the courses at HKUST requires an SAT total score of 1290, SAT-Reasoning test score of 1800 or an ACT score of 27.
- International applicants can apply through the respective HKUST Application portals for Undergraduate and Postgraduate admissions.
|Application Portal||HKUST Application portal (UG)|
|Payment Mode||Credit card, PPS, Cash, e-Banking|
|Average GPA||3.0 (equivalent to 85%)|
|Financial aids||Scholarships, Study grants|
|Admission helpdesk||Admissions Office, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong|
Phone: (+852) 2623 1118
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Admission Deadlines
Applicants must keep the following deadlines in mind when applying for The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology:
|Early Rounds||15 November|
|Main Rounds||7 January|
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology International Admissions
International applicants are must fulfill the following admission requirements for admissions in the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology.
Admission Requirements for International Students
Depending on the country of residence, the requirements for students may vary. The documents requirement, in general, for the International students are briefed below:
- Official Transcripts and Degree Certificates proving Academic qualifications.
- Identity document: Passport/ Social security card
- Institution Grading System details
- 2-5 References for Postgraduate admission.
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Public Exam Score Reports: SAT/ ACT scores (or equivalence) for Undergraduate admission GRE/ GMAT for some Postgraduate admission
- Photo, and Proof of adequate financial resources for visa application.
Some country-specific requirements are mentioned below:
- Indian applicants are required to have an overall of 85% in 12 Grade.
- Pakistani applicants must have a total of 935/1100 marks in HSSC.
- Japanese applicants must have a grade of 4.5/5.0.
- Applicants from Sri Lanka must have an average grade of B.
- For details on other countries, click here.
EnglishLanguage Requirements for International Students
Students whose first language is not English must demonstrate their English language expertise.The minimum requirements for UG and PG international applicants are the same. The
|IELTS||Undergraduate: 6.0 overall|
Postgraduate: 6.5 overall with no less than 5.5 in each subsection
|SAT Reasoning Test Essay Score||Score 8|
|Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)||Grade C|
If the applicants had completed their previous studies in English, the above requirements are not necessary.
Visa process for international students
- The offer letter will be issued to international students from the University.
- The global affairs office (GAO) will send the application to the immigration department of the HKSAR for processing.
- Complete the application form and pay the visa application fees.
- The documents that students need to submit while filing student visa application or as follows:
- An application form
- A copy of the admission offer letter issued by the University.
- Photocopies of travel document example passport/identity card.
- Evidence of Financial support.
- Attend the interview.
- When the visa is ready, GAO will send the student visa directly to the applicant.
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Undergraduate Admissions
The University offers 48 Undergraduate courses (BSc., Beng, BBA, etc). The admissions process and requirements for UG applicants are mentioned below:
Where to apply: Application is done online through HKUST Application portal or through JUPAS Application Portal
Admission fee: HK$450 (non-refundable)
Tuition fee: HK$ 140,000 (per year)
- All the applicants must graduate from their High school in order to be eligible for admission to an Undergraduate course at HKUST.
- SAT/ACT scores are not mandatory for the admission, if the applicant has an International Baccalaureate or equivalent, with comparable academic excellence.
- Students without a standardized English language test may also be eligible for admission if they have a good academic background in English, and the details can be found on the University website.
- University mandates some subject/school-specific criteria for admission to a Bachelor’s course. Academic requirements for some courses are listed here:
- For BSc Science, BSc Mathematics and Economics: One senior-level subject in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, or Mathematics
- For BSc/ BEng & BBA Dual Degree Program in Management and Technology, Engineering: Senior level Maths, and senior-level subject in Statistics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Studies, or Biology.
- For BSc Economics and Finance, BBA Finance: Senior level Mathematics
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Graduate Admissions
The university offers 39 Postgraduate courses (MSc., MA, MBA, etc.). The requirements may vary depending on the course of selection. The admission team may ask for 2-5 references depending on the course. Some of the esteemed courses offered by the University, with their admission details are tabulated below:
Where to apply: Application portals vary for different programs. PG applicants Click here for applying to various PG programs.
Admission fee: HK$ 450
Tuition fee: HK$124,000 - HK$585,000
- UG degree in a relevant subject
- Work experience is required for the Executive MBA program
- Official transcripts and degree certificates
- Identity documents
- Institution graduation system
- GMAT/GRE score
- Academic references.
HKSTU is one of the finest destinations for International students since the overall participation of International students already goes up to 70%. The University has put its signature in some of the major subjects like Business & Management, Material Science, Engineering & Technology, etc. The average SAT score of the students enrolled last year was in the range 1430-1500.