MS in Finance in Ireland is a 1-2 year course designed to give the students advanced specialist knowledge and a practical understanding of finance theory. It is suitable for graduates with an educational track record in business, economics, finance, or any degree with a significant quantitative element.
- Annual tuition fees of universities offering MS in Finance in Ireland is between 12,000 EUR to 24,000 EUR.
- This program is offered by over 7 universities in Ireland.
- Students can earn an average of 143,000 EUR per annum after completion of MS in Finance from Ireland universities.
Why Study MS in Finance in Ireland?
The popularity of MS in Finance from Ireland among International students can be contributed to the following factors:
- 2 universities of Ireland rank within the top 50 universities of the world offering Masters in Finance in 2020, according to Financial Times.
- Five of Ireland’s universities are in the top 500 QS World University Rankings of 2020.
- The highest-ranked among these is Trinity College Dublin – the University of Dublin, which is placed on the 108th position. Next is the University College Dublin, which is placed at 185th position.
- Half of the world’s top 50 banks, including Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, State Street, Credit Suisse, Bank of America and JP Morgan, have internationally-focused operations in Ireland.
- International Banks, Investment Managers, Insurers, Aircraft Leasing Operators, and an array of other financial firms employ over 42,000 people and contribute 2.3 billion EUR each year in taxes.
Top Universities offering MS in Finance in Ireland
The table below provides a list of top universities offering MS in Finance in Ireland, according to THE World University Ranking of 2020:
|THE World Ranking 2020||Universities||Courses Offered and Duration||Annual Fees (in EUR)||Application Deadline|
|164||Trinity College Dublin||MS Finance (1 year);
MS Financial Risk Management (1 year)
|201-250||University College Dublin||MS Finance (1 year)||24,169||-|
|251-300||National University of Ireland, Galway||Masters in International Finance (1 year)||14,990||January 06|
|301-350||Maynooth University||MS Finance (2 years);
MS Finance (1 year)
|301-350||University of Limerick||MS Risk Management and Insurance ( 1 year);
MS Financial Services (1 year);
Master of Science [M.Sc] Computational Finance (1 year)
|601-800||Dublin City University||
MS Finance (1 year);
MS Financial Mathematics (1 year)
|801-1000||Technological University of Dublin||
MS Finance (1 year);
MS Banking And Finance (2 years)
Specializations offered in MS in Finance in Ireland
MS in Finance allows students to choose from an array of core finance topics, such as accounting, corporate finance, financial valuation, financial regulation, and financial reporting. Some of the topics are explained below:
- International Finance: It is a broad branch of financial economics concerned with interrelating monetary and macroeconomic perspectives.
- Financial Management: A specialization in financial management is a good option for candidates interested in pursuing financial careers in the corporate, banking, insurance, and financial services sectors.
- Financial Econometrics: This branch examines the relationship between econometrics and finance at the methodological and empirical levels.
- Financial Markets: This topic explores financial institutions and regulation, monetary policy, debt and foreign exchange markets, equity and derivative markets, and international financial architecture and macroeconomic analysis.
- Financial Engineering: It includes learning how fundamental finance theories and models are used in the measurement and management of risk using mathematical and programming tools.
- Financial Planning: The field of financial planning involves learning about how to achieve financial goals through proper planning and wealth management – for both individuals and organizations of various sizes.
Admissions Process for MS in Finance in Ireland
Popular universities in Ireland have admission committees who review and assess the applications and compare the international qualifications to the Irish entry requirement for MS in Finance in Ireland.
Eligibility for MS in Finance in Ireland Admission
- An honors bachelor's degree in:
- Business/Commerce to include a number of quantitative subjects such as Economics or Finance
- Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a Finance related area
- Minimum 60% at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated strong academic ability in a number of quantitative modules in their degree, such as mathematics, statistics, econometrics.
- Minimum GMAT score of 650 or equivalent GRE score
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students
All applicants, whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English, must present one of the following test scores:
|Test||Minimum Score Required|
|IELTS||6.5 (at least 6 in each component)|
|PTE||63 (no section below 59)|
Documents Required for MS in Finance in Ireland Admission
- Official university transcripts (certified translation into English)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- English language certificate – for non-native English speakers
- Photocopy of current passport
- Passport size picture
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Work Experience (if any)
- Certificates of Extracurricular Activities (if any)
Visa Requirements for International Students
International students coming to study in Ireland must have a valid student visa. Documents required to apply for the same are:
- Two-color passport-sized photographs not more than 6 months old (photograph requirements are here)
- Original Passport (should be valid for at least 12 months after the proposed date of arrival in Ireland)
- The Visa Application forms and the summary form during online application at AVATS online facility
- Letter of acceptance from the education institution
- All academic documents along with IELTS score report
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Evidence of financial resources and fee payment made to the University
- Private Medical Insurance cover and Birth Certificate
- Information or confirmation of any previous Irish visa refusals
Cost of Studying MS in Finance in Ireland
Cost of studying abroad can be divided into two broad categories: Pre-arrival Cost and Post-arrival cost. Pre-arrival cost includes one time expenses incurred before coming to university. Post-arrival cost includes tuition fees and the cost of living.
Pre-arrival cost includes application fees, fees of tests required to study in Ireland, visa fees, etc. An average of such one-time costs is tabulated below:
|Type of Fees||Cost (in EUR)|
|Ireland Student Visa Fee||60|
|IELTS||229 - 233|
Tuition Fees for MS in Finance in Ireland
MS in Finance in Ireland costs around 12,000 EUR to 24,000 EUR per annum. University of Limerick and Maynooth University charges the lowest tuition fees.
Cost of Living in Ireland
Travel and accommodation costs in Ireland are very similar to other European countries. The monthly expenses vary depending upon the university in which you are studying and the place of accommodation. On average, a student can expect to spend between 7000 and 12000 EUR per year on living expenses.
An estimate of the cost of living in Ireland is tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Monthly Expenditure (in EUR)|
|Books and class material||70|
|Social life/ Miscellaneous||75|
Scholarships for MS in Finance in Ireland
Ireland offers a long list of scholarships which either offer full tuition fee or merit prizes from 2000 to 5000 euros. Below is the list of scholarships for international students in Ireland:
|Scholarships||Providing Universities||Eligibility of International Students||Amount (in euros)|
|Centenary Scholarship Programme||Dublin Institute of Technology||Yes||50% fee waiver|
|Postgraduate Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Yes||2000|
|National College of Ireland Scholarships||National College of Ireland||Yes||2950|
|Max Arthur Macauliffe Special Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Yes||Full fee waiver|
|Sir Peter Freyer Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Yes||Full fee waiver|
|MSc Merit-based Scholarship for International Students||UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School||Yes||50% fee waiver|
|Indian Academic Excellence Scholarship for Smurfit||UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School||Yes (only Indian students)||50% fee waiver|
|V.V. Giri Global Excellence Scholarship||University College Dublin||Yes (only Indian students)||Variable|
|JN Tata Endowment Scholarship||Government||Yes (only for Indian students)||Variable|
|Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship||Government||Yes||9,285|
For more scholarships in Ireland, click here
Scope after MS in Finance in Ireland
The diversity of job roles in Ireland in the finance sector are available in both financial and non-financial organizations alike, spanning across the public and private sectors.
Employees in Ireland usually have a salary increment of approximately 9% every 16 months with bonus rates in the field of finance being the highest. Top recruiting companies for finance graduates are Standard & Poor's, Royal Bank of Scotland, KPMG, PwC, Boston Scientific, Commerzbank, AIB, Bank of Ireland, Goodbody Stockbrokers, Davy, Citco Fund Services, etc.
A person working in accounting and finance in Ireland typically earns around 143,000 EUR annually. Salaries range from 65,300 EUR (lowest average) to 303,000 EUR (highest average, the actual maximum salary is higher).
Given below are salaries of a few job titles for MS in Finance graduates:
|Job Role||Annual Salaries (in EUR)|
|Finance Relationship Manager||204,000|
|Securities, commodities & financial services Sales Agent||130,000|
The one year full-time and two-year part-time MS in Finance program comprise of core modules covering many aspects of financial management and capital markets. Each university offering this program have their own striking features and help students begin a career in financial markets and institutions, especially in investment banking and asset management. Opportunities are available in the risk management field and finance functions of corporations as well as regulatory bodies too.
Ques. What are some of the top universities offering MS in Finance in Ireland?
Ans. Some of the top universities offering MS in Finance in Ireland are Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Maynooth University and University of Limerick.
Ques. What are the requirements for applying to MS in Finance in Ireland?
Ans. To apply for MS in Finance in Ireland, you are required to have a bachelor's degree in business, commerce, engineering, mathematics, or finance related area. Minimum required percentage is 60%.
Ques. How much does it cost to study MS in Finance in Ireland?
Ans. Average annual tuition fees of universities offering Masters in Finance in Ireland is between 12,000 EUR to 24,000 EUR. Approximate cost of living for an international student is around 12,000 EUR per annum.
Ques. What is the scope after pursuing MS in Finance in Ireland?
Ans. You can work as Relationship Manager, Executive, Analyst, Financial Actuary, Accountant and Financial Consultant after pursuing MS in Finance in Ireland. Average salary earned by a finance graduate is around 143,000 EUR per annum.