As per the latest data released by UNESCO, Malaysia has 2% market share of international students. Recent statistics indicate that the country is home to more than 100000 students from across 100 nations present throughout the globe. Malaysia is home to more than 150 higher education institutions having a massive enrollment of international students.
The country is home to some of the top universities and colleges like Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Universiti Malaya (UM) and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia which finds a place for themselves amongst the top 500 universities in the QS World University Ranking. With so many options in place, students might get confused as to which university and which course to select in Malaysia. Here goes a comprehensive guide to the top universities and courses in Malaysia.
Education System in Malaysia
The best degree courses in Malaysia is governed by the Ministry of Higher Education. The higher education system in Malaysia consists of:
- Public universities
- Private Higher Educational Institutions (PHEIs)
- Foreign University Branches
Out of these three, the public universities in Malaysia takes up 60% of the total share of the top universities in Malaysia. Some notable examples include University of Science Malaysia, University of Malaya and Putra University Malaysia. Private universities are the ones that are funded by private companies whilst, foreign university branches give the students internationally recognized degrees as they have a collaboration with universities abroad.
Universities in Malaysia also includes, vocational and technical and Polytechnic and community colleges.
- Polytechnic colleges offer degree courses in Malaysia by providing advanced diploma, Special Skills Certificate and Diploma to students who wish to become technicians in various engineering fields and trained personnel in the service and commercial sectors.
- 20 polytechnics college in Malaysia offers programs in commerce, design, food technology and engineering
- Community colleges in Malaysia, offer training and vocational courses, keeping in mind the Malaysian Qualifications Framework.
Different Types of Degree Courses in Malaysia
|Certificate Course||1-1.5 Years|
|Preuniversity/Foundation Course||1-1.5 Years|
|Diploma Course||2-3 Years|
|Bachelors Course||3-5 Years|
|Masters Course||1-3 Years|
|Research Course||3-5 Years|
Internationally Recognized Qualification
One of the reasons why Malaysia is becoming an increasingly favoured international study destination is its Transnational Bachelor’s Degree Programs. Types of Transnational Degrees include:
2+1 Twinning Degree Programme: Students can complete the first part of their degree in Malaysia and the second part in some other country of the partner university. Countries include: UK, Canada, Australia, France and New Zealand
2+2 Twinning Degree Programme: Commonly known as ADP (American Degree Programs). The course offers the flexibility of the American Education System. Students can complete one part of their degree in Malaysia and the remaining one part in the U.S.
3+0 Foreign Bachelor’s Degree: Bachelor’s degree programs from top international universities are conducted in Malaysia by private higher educational institutions.
Choosing the right university in Malaysia
Selecting a university may seem like a daunting task as there are multiple factors to consider like course, facilities and budget. Students need to keep the following points in mind while selecting a university.
- Select the right university for the right course: Certain universities in Malaysia are recognized for specific courses. For example, if a student is interested in IT studies, he should select Asia Pacific University.
- Facilities: If a university is expensive, it does not necessarily mean that it has all the facilities needed to support a course. When selecting a university, students need to make sure whether the university has all the facilities or not.
- Recognition: An recognized university in Malaysia is the one that is approved by the Malaysian Ministry of Education and has courses accredited by MCA.
- If an international student in Malaysia feels that he or she is weak in English then he needs to select a university that has an english speaking environment.
Top Universities in Malaysia
Some of the top universities in Malaysia are:
|University||Times Higher Education Ranking (2018)||QS World University Ranking (2018)|
|University of Malaya||351||114|
|Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia||601||230|
|Universiti Sains Malaysia||601||264|
|Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS||601||601|
|Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||601||253|
|University Putra Malaysia||
|International Islamic University of Malaysia||601||250|
Top Foreign Universities in Malaysia
Many foreign universities have their branch campuses in Malaysia that offer degree courses to international and local students which are recognized not just in Malaysia but globally. Some of them are:
|University||Branch Location in Malaysia||Main Branch|
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia||Putrajaya||UK|
|Curtin University, Sarawak||Sarawak||Australia|
|Monash University Malaysia||Selangor||Australia|
|Swinburne University of Technology||Sarawak||Australia|
|The University of Nottingham||Selangor||UK|
|Newcastle University Medicine||Johor||UK|
|University of Southampton||Johor||UK|
Top Business Management Universities in Malaysia
|Limkokwing University of Creative Technology||Selangor||8,000-8,999 students|
|Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation||Kuala Lumpur||500-999|
|University of Malaya||Kuala Lumpur||over 45,000|
|Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||Johor||35,000-39,999|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia||Johor||25,000-29,999|
Top Engineering Courses Universities in Malaysia
|University||QS World Ranking|
|Universiti Malaya (UM)||#87|
|Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)||#184|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)||#202|
|Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)||#207|
Top Medicine Courses Universities in Malaysia
|University||QS World Ranking|
|Universiti of Malaya (UM)||#87|
|Cyberjaya University College of Medical Science||#13508|
|International Medical University (IMU)||#2706|
Popular Degree Courses to Study in Malaysia
The most sought-after courses to study in Malaysia for international students are:
- Business Management Courses
- Engineering Courses in Malaysia
- Mass communication in Malaysia
- Accounting and finance
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Art and Design
Courses and universities in Malaysia are plenty. While selecting a university to study in Malaysia students need to make sure whether the university falls into each bracket being talked about above. Also, it is essential to understand the popularity of a course before opting for it.