University of Groningen, Netherland: World Rankings, National Rankings, Subject-wise Rankings 2020-21
University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Since the establishment in 1614, it is the 2nd oldest University in the Netherland & has brought forward striving academics, like the first female student, the first Dutch astronaut and various Nobel prize winners.
- The university was ranked 65th in the world, according to Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) in 2019. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
- University of Groningen has produced Nobel Prize winners as Ben Ferring (chemistry) and Frits Zernike (physics) in the year 2016 and 1953 respectively. The University of Groningen educational vision aims to enable students and lecturers to get the best out of themselves and each other.
The University research profile consists of the research focus areas of the faculties and the selected three societal themes of the University: Healthy Ageing, Energy and Sustainable Society.
University of Groningen, Netherland Ranking Highlights
- Academic Ranking of World University (ARWU) ranks # 69 in world Universities Ranking and Nationally ranks # 2 by the year 2019-2020.
- The Times Higher Education (THE) Ranks # 80 in Best Universities in world by 2021, # 126-150th in World Reputation Ranking in 2020 & # 26 in European Teaching Ranking (2019).
- QS in World Universities Ranking Ranks #128 in 2020-21.
- US News Ranks # 92 in Best Global Universities Ranking.
- The Center for World Universities Ranking (CWUR) ranks # 104 in 2020-2021.
- University Ranking by Academic Performance ranks # 74 in 2019-2020.
- National Taiwan University (NTU) Ranking ranks # 70 in 2020
- The Webometrics are measurements made at six-monthly intervals by Spanish Centro Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) ranks # 82 in 2020.
University of Groningen ARWU Rankings
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU Shanghai Ranking) is a global ‘Top 500’ ranking that is published annually by Shanghai Ranking Consultancy. This ranking uses a weighting of 67% for Web of Science data (highly cited researchers [22%], publications in Nature and Science [22%], and citations [22%]), while the remaining 33% is based on prizes (Nobel Prizes and Field Medals). Academic Ranking of World University (ARWU) ranks # 69 in world Universities Ranking and Nationally ranks # 2 by the year 2019-2020.
University of Groningen ARWU Subject Rankings
|Automation & Control||# 16|
|Business administration||# 38|
|Medical technology||# 38|
|Public health||# 39|
|Pharmacy & pharmaceutical sciences||# 45|
|Biological sciences||# 51-75|
|Clinical medicine||# 51-75|
|Dentistry & Oral sciences||# 51-75|
|Ecology Nursing||# 51-75|
University of Groningen Times Higher Education Rankings 2021
THE publishes a ranking of universities throughout the world. This ranking uses a weighting of 38.5% for Scopus data (citations [30%], productivity [6%] and international cooperation [2.5%]), 33% for reputation and 28.5% for self-reported figures (numbers of staff, students and PhDs awarded [17.5%] and income [11%]).The Times Higher Education (THE) Ranks # 80 in Best Universities in world by 2021, # 126-150th in World Reputation Ranking in 2020 & # 26 in European Teaching Ranking (2019).
University of Groningen Subject Rankings THE
Subject rankings of University of Groningen, 2021 (ranked in the ‘Top 100’ in 8 of the 11 academic fields)
|Arts and Humanities||# 75|
|Business and Economics||# 81|
|Physical Sciences||# 95|
|Life Sciences||# 77|
|Social sciences||# 92|
In 2019, Times Higher Education introduced a new ranking: the Europe Teaching Rankings. The University of Groningen has achieved the 26th place in this ranking, which includes more than 200 universities. This new ranking focuses on teaching quality. The ranking is based on 14 indicators, 6 of which were taken from the European Student Survey, which has a weighting of 45%. This survey examines issues such as students’ engagement with their studies, interaction with teachers, opportunities to develop skills, and views on the quality of services at their institution.
University of Groningen QS Ranking 2021
QS Ranking uses a weighting of 50% for reputation and 20% for Scopus data (citations), while the remaining 30% is based on self-reported figures (numbers of staff and students) [20%] and internationalization [10%]. QS in World Universities Ranking Ranks #128 in 2020-21 in a list of over 900 universities throughout the world.
University of Groningen Subject Rankings by QS
|Life Sciences & Medicine||# 73|
|Theology, Divinity & Religious Studies||# 51-100|
|Sports Related subjects||# 48|
|Biological Sciences||# 51-100|
|Communication & Media Studies||# 51-100|
|Statistics & Operational Research||# 51-100|
University of Groningen US News Rankings
The American magazine U.S. News also publishes a global ranking of universities. This ranking uses a weighting of 75% for Web of Science data (research performance) and 25% for the reputation among academics.
The University of Groningen Rankings
- # 92 in Best Global Universities
- # 32 in Best Global Universities in Europe
- # 7 in Best Global Universities in the Netherlands
University of Groningen Subject Rankings by US News
|Arts and Humanities||# 63|
|Biology and Biochemistry||# 95|
|Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems||# 17|
|Cell Biology||# 78|
|Clinical Medicine||# 66|
|Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology||# 115|
|Economics and Business||# 33|
|Endocrinology and Metabolism||# 71|
|Molecular Biology & Genetics||# 37|
|Gastroenterology and Hepatology||# 80|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||# 85|
|Public, Environmental and Occupational Health||# 77|
|Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Medical Imaging||# 40|
|Social Sciences and Public Health||# 79|
|Space Science||# 47|
|Infectious Diseases||# 40|
University of Groningen CWUR Rankings
The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) is a consulting organization for higher education based in the United Arab Emirates. CWUR published its first world ranking of higher education institutions in 2012.The ranking is based on 7 indicators, calculated on the basis of data from independent public sources.
These sources include research publications and research citations according to Clarivate Analytics (40%), major international prizes awarded to alumni (25%) and academic staff (10%), and CEO positions held by alumni in companies listed in the Forbes Global 2000 (25%). In 2020-2021, the University of Groningen ranked 104.
|2016||# 105||# 3|
|2017||# 102||# 3|
|2018-19||# 100||# 3|
|2019-20||# 91||# 2|
|2020-21||# 104||# 5|
University of Groningen National Taiwan University Rankings
Each year, the National Taiwan University publishes the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities, formerly known as the HEEACT Ranking. The University of Groningen was 70th in the world, 13th in Universities in Europe & 3rd in the Netherlands in the 2020 ranking.
Fields and Subject Rankings by NTU in 2020 of University of Groningen, Netherlands
|Agriculture||# 189||Biology & Biochemistry||# 71|
|Engineering||# 273||Clinical Medicine||# 51|
|Life Sciences||# 68||Economics & Business||# 35|
|Medicine||# 52||Immunology||# 72|
|Natural Sciences||# 124||Microbiology||# 78|
|Social Sciences||# 55||Molecular Biology & Genetics||# 65|
|_||_||Neuroscience & Behavior||# 87|
|_||_||Pharmacology & Toxicology||# 60|
|_||_||Social Sciences||# 56|
|_||_||Space Sciences||# 47|
University of Groningen Miscellaneous Rankings
- The Webometrics is compiled on the basis of measurements made at six-monthly intervals by the Spanish Centro Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC). According to the measurement made in January 2020, the University of Groningen ranks 82th in the world and 12th in Europe and 3rd in the Netherlands.
- University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) is a Web of Science (WoS)-based ranking of the 2000 most-published universities, drawn up by the Middle East Technical University in Turkey. The University of Groningen ranks 74th (2019-2020). The University of Groningen features among the global ‘Top 100’ (2018-2019) in 21 of the 40 academic fields in which the University is sufficiently findable in the WoS.
Why Chose University of Groningen?
The Rankings and the Achievements of the University is enough to describe its quality education and Research. Here are some among its greatest works:
- The Nobel Prize is widely regarded as the most prestigious award in the fields of literature, medicine, physics, chemistry, peace and economics. Ben Feringa received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 2016 for his discovery of the ‘molecular machine’, a light-driven rotating molecule, in 1999.
- Frits Zernike was a professor at the University of Groningen from 1915 onwards. His invention of the phase contrast microscope led to a major breakthrough. Zernike won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1953 for it.
- The NWO Spinoza Prize is one of the highest academic awards in the Netherlands. Pauline Klein geld - Second UG-philosopher to win Spinoza Prize. Amina Helmi (1970) is Professor of Dynamics, Structure and Formation of the Milky Way. She has been awarded the Spinoza Prize 2019, etc.