Victoria University of Wellington: Fees, Admission Process, Courses, Ranking, & Scholarships for International Students
Established in 1897, Victoria University of Wellington is public university that consistently ranks among the top 225 universities globally. Comprising of 10 multi-disciplinary faculties, the university has more than 100 undergraduate, graduate, post-graduate, doctoral and online programs that are ranked among the among the top 50 subjects globally by reputed agencies for tertiary education in Australia.
With more than 3600 international students from over 116 countries across the globe, Victoria University of Wellington is a popular choice among international students to study in Australia. With high focus on research, the university’s three campuses and one premise in Auckland is known for high-grade education that prepares students on global context with discipline, motivation, and innovation along with preparing them to be civic-minded citizens.
The university has more than 11,00,000 alumni that are excelled in their fields and some of the notable alumni include Bill Smith, Conrad Smith, Geoffrey Palmer, and John Campbell.
|College Type||Public University|
|Location||Wellington, New Zealand|
|No. of Campus||03|
|Enrollment||21,547 UG: 16,000 approx. PG: 5,547|
|Mode of Program||Full-time, Online|
|Student: Faculty||16: 1|
|Academic Pattern||Semester- based|
|Admission Intake||Trimester- wise|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, Loans|
|Helpdesk||Tel: 0800-04-04-04 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Among 2% universities of the world and ranked consistently among top 225 universities, Victoria University of Wellington is also one of the 14 universities in the world to hold maximum QS five stars.
A quick glance at ranking of Victoria University of Wellington:
- #225 in QS World University Ranking by QS/ Top Universities 2021.
- #65 in QS World Ranking by Subject by QS/ Top Universities 2021.
- #101- #201 in Impact Ranking by Times Higher Education 2021.
- #29 Best Global Universities in Australia/ New Zealand by US News 2021.
- #5 in Best Global Universities in New Zealand by US News 2021.
- Victoria University of Wellington has three expansive campus area across the Wellington and also one premise in Auckland.
- The prime campus of Victoria University of Wellington is located in Kelburn housing five major faculties- Humanities and Social Sciences, Science, Engineering, Education and Health, the university central library and main administrative offices along with a range of amenities.
- The Te- Aro campus holds the Wellington Faculty of Architecture and Design Innovation along with its library whereas the Pipitea campus holds the Wellington School of Business and Government including commerce and law libraries.
- At Victoria University of Wellington, candidates have extensive accommodation choices from a residence hall at university, private residence to homestay accommodation depending on their preferences.
- Victoria University of Wellington has 14 catered and self-catered residence halls. Each residential hall has all the basic amenities including gym area, laundry, kitchen, lounge, wifi connection, electricity, bathrooms, spacious living rooms, music rooms, project work rooms which are often mentioned in student reviews of Victoria University of Wellington.
- Students can opt for single or twin bed, apartment or flats and studios type living space depending on their requirement.
- The accommodation fee of self- catered and catered residential hall is given below:
For self- catered hall:
|Residence||Everton Hall||Stafford House||University Halls||Willis Street Hall|
|Amount (in AUD) per annum||9,120- 13, 490||10,830||7,220- 11, 172||13,148|
For catered halls:
|Residence||Boulcott Hall||Capital Hall||Helen- Lowry Hall||Joan Stevens Hall||Katherine Jeremy Hall||Victoria House||Weir House||Willis Street Halls- Cumberland House||Te- Puni Village|
|Amount (in AUD) per annum||16,492||17,100||9,880- 13,680||16,492||17,252||11,979- 16,771||12,540–17,252||12,920- 17,632||17,839- 18,978|
- International students applying for accommodation before the deadlines are guaranteed a spot but after deadline on space available basis only.
- The residential hall application deadlines are:
- Trimester 1: Open on August 1- Till October 1
- Trimester 2: Opens on April 1- Till May 1
- Trimester 3: Opens on October 1- Till November 1
Globally known for its wide research based study, programs of Victoria University of Wellington is among the top 1% world universities in 19 subject areas and ranked in the top 100 universities in the world for another 12 subjects.
- The university offers undergraduate, post- graduate, doctoral, PhD, conjoint and dual degree programs along with various diplomas and certificate courses.
- The university is also among the highly reputed and acclaimed university with commerce faculties to hold triple crown accreditation i.e. EQUIS, AACSB (Business), and AMBA.
- Offering 100+ undergraduate and more than 200 graduate programs, the academic expertise comprises of ten major faculties including humanities and social sciences, law, education, sciences, engineering, architecture and design, business and government, health and graduate research.
- In addition to this, students can also opt for various short courses and non-degree programs offered by the university to develop their professional skills and interest.
Some popular programs along offered by Victoria University of Wellington is listed below:
|Programs||Tuition Fee (AUD)|
|Executive MBA (4 trimester)||47,874|
|Master of Public Management (3 Trimester)||25,259|
|Master of Education (3 trimester)||12,861|
|Master of Computer Science (3 trimester)||14,588|
|Master of Health Care (3 Trimester)||9,631|
|Master of Political Science (3 Trimester)||12,861|
|Master of Indigenous Studies (3 Trimester)||12,861|
|Masters of Law (2- 3 Trimester)||9,631 - 10,659|
|Masters of Science by Coursework and Thesis (4 Trimesters)||10,052|
International applicants applying for admission at Victoria University of Wellington are recommended to start as early as possible as will ensure them enough time to get sorted with study visa and accommodation as well.
Application submitted after deadlines of universities in New Zealand will be considered on case-basis and availability of space.
Here are the deadlines for applications at Victoria University of Wellington:
|Semester Intake||Application Deadline|
|Trimester 1 (March)||January 15, 2021|
|Trimester 2 (July)||May 1, 2021|
|Trimester 3 (November)||September 1, 2021|
Note: The above-mentioned dates are subjected to change. Candidates are recommended to keep to in touch with their advisor for frequent updates.
Post-Graduate application deadlines differ as per programs and hence applicants are recommended to visit the interested program’s site for details.
Candidates submitting the documents along with the application form must ensure that all the certificates and documents are certified by the authority.
- Graduate students can apply via an online portal but some programs need a paper application for enrollment.
- The application along with other documents is emailed to email@example.com and the paper application must be mailed to the university’s admission office.
- Candidates are also recommended to submit all the application prior to deadline as application received after will be considered on case- basis or space availability.
- The general application requirement while applying for programs at Victoria University of Wellington is as follows:
Application Portal: Victoria University of Wellington or paper application by mail.
Application Fee: Not applicable
- Complete application form.
- Certified copies of official transcripts, academic records (must be in English and university does not accept provisional results)
- Proof of identity, citizenship or residency.
- English Proficiency Test Scores
|English Proficiency Test||UG Score Requirement||PG Score Requirement|
|TOEFL iBT||80 - above||90 - above|
|IELTS||6.0 with no band below 5.5||6.5 with no band below 6.0|
|DET||100- above||110- above|
|PTE||50- above||58- above|
|CAE||169- above||176- above|
Candidates may also be asked for additional documents spending on their country of education and academic level.
The university charges program fee depending on the point per course and hence the charge may vary for each course.
The general tuition fee for the following programs is listed below:
|Subject||UG Tuition Fee (AUD)||PG Tuition Fee (AUD)|
|Architecture||34,850 (290.52 per point)||37,503 (316.90 per point)|
|Engineering||35,388 294 (294.90 per point)||39,039(325. 33 per point)|
|Humanities and Social Science||27,711 (230.93 per point)||35,388(252.44 per point)|
|Education||26,149 (217.91 per point)||30,304(247.66 per point)|
|Music||33,180 (276.50 per point)||29,712(297.99 per point)|
|Health||29,284 (244.04 per point)||38,028(247.22 per point)|
|Commerce||29,422 (245.19 per point)||30,991(258.26 per point)|
|Law||33,976.80 (283.14 per point)||36,652 (93.64 per point)|
|Science||31,711 ( 264.26 per point)||35,236 (305.44 per point)|
|Design||33,464 (264.26 per point)||36,652(312.53 per point)|
The living cost and personal expenses in Australia depends on the accommodation type and the standard of living.
|Type of Expense||Amount|
|Living Expense||Self-Catered Residence Halls: 9,120 AUD- 13,148 AUD (per annum) Catered Residence Halls: 16,492 AUD- 18.978 AUD (per annum)|
|Health Insurance||310 AUD (one trimester)|
|Activity Fee||110 AUD|
|Administration Fee||150 AUD|
|Bond Fee for Residence Hall||400 AUD|
The Victoria University of Wellington has plenty of scholarships and loans for international students in Australia to fund their education without any financial burden. A list of scholarships for international students awarded by the university:
|Automatic Masters Scholarship||International students meeting general entry requirements||$10,000 (1 – 1.5 year)|
|Tongarewa Scholarship||Incoming International Students paying full fee||$5,000- $10,000 (one year)|
|Wellington International Excellence Scholarship||International Students on academic-basis||$20,000 per year towards tuition fee|
- Besides these, there are also multiple masters scholarships that are awarded for entry into specifies masters programs to international students meeting the entry requirements and the awards ranges upto $10,000 per year.
- Candidates can also opt for private or government student loans for their study period at the university.
- The university also has an option of work while you study where students can get feasible jobs on campus as per their schedule.
Boosting more than 1,10,000 living alumni across the globe, Victoria University of Wellington shares a strong network of alumni that are part distinguishing personalities in their respective fields.
- The alumnis of the university reaps multiple benefits by simply being part of the community that includes access to university’s extensive collection of libraries, career advising and connection, 15% discount on Victoria Press titles, 10% discount on car rentals and various other discounts and special offers.
- Some eminent personalities that are alumni at Victoria University of Wellington are:
- Jane Campion (only female filmmaker to receive Palme d’Or), Taika Waititi (recipient of Grammy awards, Emmy Award and Academy Award), Conrad Smith (New Zealand rugby union coach and former player winning two Rugby World Cup) and more.
The university has a designated hub for students, graduate and alumnis looking to move forward their education and start their career in Australia. The Wellington Career and employment assists in various steps of building a career to launching it fully on board.
- One- on- one career guidance and counselling, CV review, interview preparation and developing and improving skills are all part of package offered at the career hub.
- It also helps graduate and alumnis in networking and socializing with potential employers and establish their own relation with them.
- The university along with the career hub also host multiple events like career recruitment events, workshops, career in focus events and such to give candidates an insight regarding various careers and widening their concept.
- Targeted by top employers of the country and around the world, Victoria University of Wellington students invest in their future when they decide to get education at this acclaimed university.
- A glance at Victoria University of Wellington graduates and alumni working as professional in various sectors (as per emolument.com).
|Job Position||Average Salary in AUD|
|Executive Management and Change||2,52,688|
|Legal and Paralegal||1,85,305|
|Finance Control and Strategy||1,16,625|
- A glance at Victoria University of Wellington graduates getting salary/year depending on their degree and qualification (as per emolument.com):
|Degree/Qualification||Average Salary in AUD|
|Masters in Finance||1,86,600|
|Bachelors of Science||1,07,552|
The maximum paying degree at Victoria University of Wellington is Masters in finance degree worth annual average salary of 1,86,600 AUD and Bachelors of Science students are at the lowest with annual average income of 1,07,552 AUD, whereas looking at the employment sector, the Executive Management and Change division benefits at hefty average annual salary of 2,52,688 AUD and the finance, control and strategy sector with 1,16,625 AUD annually.
Ques. What is Victoria University of Wellington Known for?
Ans. The university is known for faculties of humanities, social sciences and law and also for its robust and multi- disciplinary research- based programs.
Ques. Do I need SAT/ACT to get into Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. No, domestic as well as international applicants do not need SAT/ACT to get into Victoria University of Wellington.
Ques. Is there any application fee for programs at Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. Victoria University of Wellington does not charge any application fee for its programs.
Ques. Can I enroll in dual courses/programs at Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. Candidates can apply for dual degree programs at Victoria University of Wellington.
Ques. Will I need to give an interview to get selected at Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. Yes, interview is done by invitation for assessment of shortlisted candidates at Victoria University of Wellington
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for candidates applying at Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. Some programs have specified requirements ranging from entrance exam to specific documents requirement as specified during admission.
Ques. Does Victoria University of Wellington have accommodation for international students?
Ans. Yes, Victoria University of Wellington have various residential halls offering accommodation to international; students and candidates submitting the application prior to deadline are guaranteed a spot of their liking at the residence hall.
Ques. Does Victoria University of Wellington offer scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes, Victoria University of Wellington offers various scholarships on academic and need basis to international students.
Ques. Do I need to submit separate application form for scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington?
Ans. Yes, candidates applying for varying scholarships need to meet the eligibility requirement and submit separate application form at the time of admission.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #301 - #400
Computer Science (International)
RANKED #201 - #250
RANKED #126 - #150
View More >>
QS World University
VUW is one of the top universities in New Zealand. Wellington also is a far better city compared to others.
Course Curriculum :
I don't think the course was up to the mark. The subjects were very generic and I didn't take much away from the course
Primarily because I got rejected from the IVY colleges in USA and secondly because the offer was really nice. A three year PhD in New Zealand vs a Five Year one in USA? Plus a fantastic work environment? Plus the caring and loving people of New Zealand? It was a no brainer. (Oh and also the Hobbit town, Southern Lights, Sky Diving, Bungy, and numerous other adventures) And with the University in NZ, It is really near to the lab I'm working at so its easier administratively.
Course Curriculum :
Freedom! We are free to do research however we want, ethically. Collaboration with numerous labs all over the country and even outside. Its a very enhancing environment all together. We do not need to take any courses unless the supervisor feels it would benefit you, or if you think it would. It is just research work and fun.
The University consistently provides high-quality education to us. Their teaching methods encourage us to strive for success and to become an independent, critical and creative thinker. The program that is offered to me provides me an opportunity for real-world experience through field trips and research projects.
Course Curriculum :
This three-year undergraduate degree that I am studying is providing me a basic understanding of molecular and cell biology, along with the research skills that I need to be successful. Currently, I am studying the relationships between humans, health and disease, and look at real-life health and medical issues like new diseases, or old diseases that resist treatment. Other areas that I will be studying soon will be the role of molecular biology in health, drug design, and clinical testing.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary