Interview by Yash Panchal
Dr. Pravin D. Nemade is currently working as the Principal and Professor in a Department of Civil Engineering at S.B.Patil College of Engineering, Pune. Dr. Nemade has more than 20 years of experience in the education industry.
His education qualification includes Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, M.Tech in Civil Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, B.E. in Civil Engineering from College of Engineering, Pravaranagar, Loni, Pune University.
Dr Nemade on his experience in the education industry
- Academic freedom for functioning overall institute by the Head of institutions is required to develop a college to excellence.
- One of the significant developments for the education profession over the past 20 years has represented the emergence of modern approaches that extend the focus on learning beyond formal events like classrooms, workshops and e-learning modules.
- Many Educational departments are evolving from a world where “learning” implied training events to one where learning is something that needs to be encouraged and supported as a continuous process.
- The first steps to break the mould that developed a tight link between “learning” and “event” involved the blending of face-to-face learning with technology.
- Social learning, Experiential learning is being used increasingly informal training and development,
- The 70:20:10 approaches: The 70:20:10 approach has helped bring three aspects of development together: structured education, social learning through exposure to others, and experiential learning.
Leading by example is my leadership style
My philosophy of leadership: “Up to become a leader you always worry about yourself improvement and once you are a leader you worry about others “
- Communication is one of my greatest strengths. I lead by facilitating open communication and trying to bring out the best in every team member.
- I like leading by example. I lead from the front by taking action, demonstrating what needs to be done and maintaining my team well organized to make sure we’re all on the same page and contributing equally.
- My style is the manner and approach of providing direction, implementing plans and motivating people. Because as seen by the staff, it includes the total pattern of explicit and implicit actions performed by me.
- I’m honoured at delegating and discovering the strengths of other team members. I try providing each person with a chance to accomplish what they’re best at and inspire a team effort that delivers a result that’s greater than the sum of its parts.”
Maintaining the modern technology with education is a challenge
a. Education technology
- Education technology – or edu-tech to those in the know – has become a buzz-phrase in teaching circles in till now.
- Education technology promises to revolutionize the education system in every way, from streamlining homework assignments and marking to providing students with special needs the support they require.
- However, as the educational technology grows, more entrepreneurs are jumping on the bandwagon. Instead of education startups providing innovative solutions to age-old there has been a trend of companies providing competing products.
- This fall in innovation may see the stagnation of education reform to address the needs of the already digitized 21st century. However, by focusing on new technologies, like Virtual Reality, educational technology can gain new life and offer students a learning and unique experience to traditional education.
b. The changing job market
- As automated machines and AI promise to replace manual labour and data management jobs, humans have to focus on their human skills if they do not want to be left behind and made redundant.
- This means that instead of instilling qualities that machines are designed for – like obedience and memory recall – education in 2018 needs to focus on developing subtle skills that machines cannot perform.
- Can you imagine a robot trying to reassure a family who has just lost their mother? Or a programmed algorithm composing beautiful music for a film soundtrack? Or a machine being motivated to reduce fuel emission due to respect for nature?
- There are some qualities that a creative and emotional mind will always be capable to do better than technology, and these are the skills that education needs to harness in 2018.
- To prevent mass structural unemployment in the future, education in 2018 needs to look forward to the economy of tomorrow and focus on the skills that will be relevant to pupils when they enter the job market.
c. Social and emotional intelligence
- In an increasingly unsteady political world, which is becoming more digitized by the day, social awareness and emotional intelligence are two of the most valued human skills. Empathetically relate to problematic situations. Having the nuance to navigate complex social issues is paramount to maintaining peace and stability in the future.
- Every month there are cries of nuclear warfare, every week there are reports of an alleged terror attack, and everyday sea levels creep higher.
- Empathy and compassion are needed right now more than ever to help restore the human and natural world before humanity is wiped out completely. While education used to prepare students for the industrial world.
Dr Nemade on S.B. Patil’s curriculum and integration of project based learning into the mainstream education system
Curriculum ensure best practice of industry
a. Determine your goals.
- Take some to enrich activities and ensure these are relevant to current needs.
- To establish this process, to determine what is feasible in both the brief term and the extended term.
b. Draw from your industry advisory committee.
Once it’s determined what type of industry input is needed at this point in time, reach out to industry advisory committee. That is why they are there!
Industry partners on the advisory committee can provide employees to serve as curriculum advisors. These curriculum advisors from industry can help identify present requirements and potential following requirements and trends. Using such information allows institutions to design and provide beneficial courses to learners by giving them the skills and knowledge that employers require.
c. Identify people from the right sectors.
- Potential industry contributors should belong to sectors where youth might secure jobs.
- This focus will provide valuable information that can translate into more focused curriculums and training.
My views on the Project Based Learning
- Project-based learning represents a dynamic approach to teach students by exploring concepts through real-world problems and challenges.
- Project-based learning (PBL) is more engaging for students, particularly when they have choice within an overall structure of the project requirements.
- PBL also discourages plagiarism/cheating because the projects, when well designed, cannot be easily transferred from one student to another.
- Project-based learning is considered an alternative to paper-based, rote memorization, teacher-led classrooms.
Yes! Project-based learning be integrated into the mainstream education system in India
Growth of students through placement opportunities available at SBPCOE?
- The overall growth of the students is good who got placed via. ON campus or off campus through our SBPCOE or links which are provided by SBPCOE
- Even those who didn’t get placed or placed but not joined the companies they are also doing well financially as well as socially by technology
- Even those who didn’t get or but not they are also doing financially as socially by technology placement is ungiven it’s taken; in today’s world, those who have good industry required technical skill and rightly said subtle skill then it’s possible for doing well growth in future for the students.
Establishing a relationship with the students
Welcome the Students when they arrive. Wave goodbye when they leave
- First interaction with a student should represent a positive one.
- Talk as little as possible.
- Use humour to address situations any chance you can
- Do the walk-in the campus by finding appropriate time like a visit to hostels, laboratory, and library, collect their feedback and cross verified implement the best one.
An ideal school environment
- A school is known for its protectiveness and discipline
- School should also give a lot of importance to the social and emotional competence due to that the capacity of students to recognize and manage emotions, solve problems effectively, and establish and maintain positive relationships with others.
- Schools should also hold training sessions to train students in building their Social Intelligence, creativity, sport etc.
- A curriculum comprising of learning of academic and intellectual abilities for strong academics and healthy and balanced environment
Top qualities an aspiring engineer must possess
a. Critical thinking and analytical skills
Engineering students must be capable to employ logic and reasoning to translate given issues into a set of requirements. From there, they must identify elements of the design that don’t meet the determined safety or development requirements. Improved approaches or solutions must then be formulated, with the aerospace engineer weighing the alternatives’ strengths and weaknesses before coming to a conclusion and establishing a course of action.
b. Complex problem-solving skills
Skilled students must possess the ability to resolve complex problems through simplistic solutions. Namely, they must initially identify the problem and its source before reviewing all related or relevant information to effectively assess and develop solutions to be implemented by the entire team.
c. Active listening and learning skills
Students must be capable to fully attune themselves to messages, instructions, suggestions and methods communicated to them while on the job. They must conduct sufficient time to internalize what other team members are concerned about, raising points and asking questions as necessary. It is critical that the aerospace engineer thoroughly and thoroughly comprehend all possible implications of every situation, as imminent actions could drastically affect present and future problem-solving and decision-making measures.
d. Project management skills
They must have the ability to manage projects, personnel and resources. They also must be capable to maintain team motivation, offering direction and assistance as necessary throughout the development process. Budgeting skills also come into play, as an aerospace engineer must constantly take into account the financial resources present to them and their team when conceiving designs, ordering parts and scheduling production timelines.
e. IT skills
Engineers work with the most recent technological developments. Therefore, expertise in IT and software, for design, development and product testing is an absolute must.
Students to become budding Entrepreneur
SBPCOE Organizing EDP program for the students by the objectives of
A. To encourage awareness introducing entrepreneurship into the students through various workshop and seminars
B. To develop entrepreneur attitude, Skills, Behavior and mindset.
C. The prospectus of youth employment in the upcoming years remains grim to compare to that of adults.
Goals for our institution
- The institute should be NBA accredited in a coming couple of years.
- After a five-year institute should be an autonomous institute.
- All students should be employable and student-centric planning and activities.
- Increasing happiness index of all levels of employees.
- The institute can automatically grow understanding the upcoming future expansions and need and become self-sufficient through R&D and consultancy.
Suggestions for current youth and the aspiring students
I would like appealing for the students to plan their career in the second year of engineering. The students have to start preparation in the second year for.
1) Getting a job in the concluding year preparation for Aptitude in the second year and solving question papers in the time limit and working on mock Group discussions/Personal Interviews in the third year.
2) Higher education (technical / management) - preparation for GATE /GMAT /GRE or UPSC and PSC.
3) Starting own business after graduation, choosing the business of choice and get details of that business through industrial training in small scale companies during vacation In this era of intense competition, Fluent Communication in English remains the essential need to become successful in any career. Students have to work on this very important aspect right from day one.