Ques. Tell us something about your experience in entrepreneurship education, research & institution building?
Ans. Entrepreneurship was adopted as a young and a nascent field, by Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India Gujarat, around two and a half decades back, but it can be stated with great satisfaction that the work in the area, has grown rapidly. EDII activities were derived after scanning the environment and comprehensive research for entrepreneurship in the country. The Institute has contributed significantly towards entrepreneurship education, research & institution building.
For entrepreneurship to take roots in the country, it is extremely significant to orient the present generation and the academia as a whole towards this discipline. Education in entrepreneurship has brought about a paradigm shift in the awareness quotient of people. Realising that education is an apt medium to reach out to a wider section of society and to establish entrepreneurship as a credible discipline, the Institute initiated two, full-time, AICTE approved Post Graduate courses, Fellow Programme in Entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship summer camps for children and youth, EDII Gujarat faculty development programmes and seminars and workshops for educationists, planners, policy makers and administrators. Besides these core activities, several other application – oriented programmes and initiatives, such as; developing course curriculum for entrepreneurship, developing policies for the spread of the discipline, offering entrepreneurship module to university students help realise the objective.
EDII vision also advocates the strategy of institution-building for concretising entrepreneurship. In order to, therefore, replicate the success story of promoting first generation entrepreneurs through training and counselling interventions as also sustain this movement, the MEA, Govt. of India assigned to EDII the prestigious task of setting up EDI-like Entrepreneurship Development Centres (EDCs) in Lao PDR, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Myanmar (CLMV nations) in ASEAN. Also, presently the Institute is working towards setting up such institutes in Uzbekistan and five African countries.
EDII has always remained conscious of the importance of knowledge generation through research and has converted itself into more of an applied research cum development centre in entrepreneurship. Research on topical entrepreneurship related subjects with special focus on applied research, are taken up to act as a crucial link between theory and practice in the field of Entrepreneurship. The aim is to serve as a bridge between theory and practice in the field of Entrepreneurship.
The Focus Research Areas include:
- Entrepreneurship Education
- Innovations in Training Techniques
- Voluntary Sector: Issues and Interventions
- Gender and Enterprise Development
- Micro Finance and Micro Enterprise Development
- Emerging Profile of Entrepreneurship in the 21st Century
Ques. What’s your take on building entrepreneurship in India as lots of start-ups are coming into existence?
Ans. The prospects for first generation entrepreneurs are indeed brilliant. There are opportunities galore, both nationally and internationally. Today with several start-up promotion schemes, the environment is very supportive for new entrepreneurs. The process of globalization has brought about a new dimension of competitiveness. Our economic boundaries are no more national but more global. But, to remain competitive, either globally or nationally, a strategy which comes from knowledge is imperative.
Ques. What do you think is required to be a successful entrepreneur?
Ans. I would say that a big new world is waiting for budding entrepreneurs. But they certainly need a balanced combination of skills, knowledge and aptitude (mindset) to succeed in business. Knowledge of business procedures, formalities, legal aspects, markets, business environment, skills of managing people, money, material, market, and so on; and aptitude to take calculated risks, quick decisions and face ambiguities successfully are all mandatory to succeed in business. All these hard skills need to be strongly backed by soft skills like communication skills, negotiation, networking, inter-personal relationships, leadership, etc. Therefore, a combination of these inputs turns out successful, competent, competitive and successful entrepreneurs and global business leaders of tomorrow.
Ques. How challenging is it to promote entrepreneurship at national and international levels?
Ans. Today, there is certainly good awareness in people about the advantages of entrepreneurship as a career. The myth that people with a strong financial and business background can set up own enterprises are fast getting replaced by facts that entrepreneurship can be learnt like any other discipline. Most of the prestigious colleges have started offering full-fledged entrepreneurship courses. Today, most successful entrepreneurs are role models for aspiring youths. They encouraged people in general, and youths in particular. So, entrepreneurship is a revered choice for most students today, both nationally and internationally. Therefore, I believe that more than perceiving this task as a challenge to promote, what is required are structured efforts. I am sure, very soon entrepreneurship will become a preferred choice.
Ques. Can you enlighten us with the mode of admission in this institution and what are the different courses which are being offered?
Ans. Besides the Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Business Entrepreneurship (PGDM-BE), the Institute offers two more academic EDII Gujarat courses namely Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Development Studies (PGDM-DS) and Fellow Programme in Management (FPM).
Admission Eligibility & Procedure for PGDM-BE and PGDM-DS
- Three-year (10+2+3) University Degree in any discipline or a four year (10+2+4) Engineering / Technology / Medicine / Others, recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC)/ Association of Indian Universities (AIU) / AICTE with not less than 50% overall aggregate marks (45% in case of candidates belonging to the reserved category, as per norms) in qualifying degree examination.
- Final year graduating students can also apply.
- The candidates have to undergo any of these tests – CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA & CMAT.
- Candidates have to apply to EDII by acquiring application form which can be downloaded from official website or can be filled online.
Eligible candidates are called for Entrepreneurial Aptitude Test and Personal Interview.
For International (PIO/NRI/Foreign Nationals) Students
The selection process for PGDM-BE involves the following:
- PIOs/NRIs/FNs, having Bachelor's degree (in keeping with the 10+2+3 system) with minimum 50% marks or an equivalent qualification in any discipline recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), can apply to EDII through scores of GMAT.
- Candidates have to apply to EDII by acquiring application form which can be downloaded from www.ediindia.ac.in or can be filled online. Applicants who want to apply online can make payments online. The duly filled in downloaded form should be sent to EDII along with a Demand Draft of USD 100, drawn in favor of ‘Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India’, payable at Ahmedabad or by transferring USD 100 to the EDII PG admission account.
- PIOs/NRIs/FNs will be shortlisted based on Personal Interview via teleconference. All foreign students will require a student visa valid for 2 years endorsed to EDII for joining the course.
Admission Eligibility & Procedure for FPM students
Master's Degree or equivalent in Engineering/ Technology/ Management/ Economics/ Social Science/ Biological Science/ Pure Science/ Commerce/ Humanities with FIRST CLASS will be considered for admission to Fellowship Programme. Those appearing for their final examination in the respective discipline can also apply. The selection of the candidate in the FPM course is based on Entrepreneurship Research Aptitude Test (ERAT) of EDI, and following criteria:
- Academic qualification and work experience
- Tentative research proposal and its presentation, and
- Personal interview
Ques. EDII has become a brand in itself. How does it help students in attracting students to the college?
Ans. EDII primarily focuses primarily on three factors:
- A strong business mind-set, coupled with entrepreneurial competencies.
- Besides imbibing competencies and skills in them, the students are told about entrepreneur friendly schemes so that they feel motivated to learn entrepreneurship and pursue it as a career.
- EDII also sports a strong infrastructure for entrepreneurship. It promotes idea generation, networking of students with research laboratories, venture capitalists and Government. It is very soon coming up with a DST sponsored ‘Technology Business Incubator’. All in all, the students experience an overall conducive environment for learning what it requires to be an entrepreneur.
This effort reflects in students’ success and there is ample word of mouth publicity.
Ques. How is EDII different from other Institutions?
Ans. EDII is not a run-of-the-mill Institute. There is a clear cut difference between the inputs of EDII and a management course. EDII’s entrepreneurship course creates a professional owner-manager and not just a professional manager. Hence, a person having undergone a course on entrepreneurship at EDII is more suited to run a company successfully. Entrepreneurship education develops dynamic and adaptative entrepreneurs who learn to mobilize and manage resources, withstand competition, foresee market and technologies and accordingly formulate strategies to drive the company forward.
Ques. What are your long term goals and Tell us about your plans in making this Institute as one of the premier institutes of the country?
Ans. EDII is the first national resource institute in entrepreneurship training, research, education and institution building. It has successfully brought about a change in the way entrepreneurship is perceived and functions in an exclusive space.
What we feel is that the entrepreneurial fervour is experiencing an upsurge, more so; with certain new initiatives in place, such as those of; Make in India, Start Up India, Start Up Village, Smart cities, Swachh Bharat and Digital India. We intend to give a boost to the start-up wave by intermediating creatively among stakeholders such as; new age potential entrepreneurs, existing entrepreneurs, incubation centres, and venture capitalists. A sound action plan is under process. This will help us extend an array of business support services and resources and thus accelerate the process of New Enterprise Creation. Alongside manufacturing, our focus will remain equally resilient on promoting the services sector. While for large corporates, executive Education Programmes will receive emphasis; our efforts will also be suitably aligned to cater to the requirements of the MSME sector in rural and urban locales, leading to skill based enterprises. Social Entrepreneurship, as an area is also witnessing rapid rise, and with its experience and expertise in the field, EDII will venture into it in a big way.
Ques. Any Suggestion that you would like to give to the youth.
Ans. I guess for all wannabe entrepreneurs I would like to say – ‘let your dreams soar, see what others are unable to see and unleash your dreams. But before taking the plunge, be prepared. See that you have a sharp business mindset, knowledge and competencies of an entrepreneur. EDII is always there for you – It’s Post Graduate Diploma in Management - Business Entrepreneurship ensures that at the end of two years of the course you are ready with a bankable project report. It extends the necessary follow up support to ensure that it is as per your identified business opportunity. Students of Family Business Management are ready with a Five Year Perspective Growth Plan. So the students are prepared in every way to be successful as entrepreneurs.Last Updated - 07 May 2016