Dr. Y. Lakshman Kumar is currently Dean and Director for GITAM-HBS, Hyderabad.
He brings with him 27 ( 23 years in Tamil Nadu) years of experience in industry and Teaching. His current research interests are in Brand Management. Dr. YLK has launched several successful brands nationally in Pharmaceutical Industry during his 9 years in the industry.
A graduate in Commerce from Guntur, YLK is a rank holder in MBA from Nagarjuna University, Guntur and obtained his Doctorate from Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur in the area of Brand Management. He did his Essentials in Management Consulting from CMC- Canada in 2008 and he attended Master Teacher Program at ISB in 2015. Dr. YLK attended Innovating for Excellence: Program for Leaders in Management Education at IIM A in 2010 and became an alumnus of IIMA.
He has carried out many training and consultancy assignments for various organizations such as BHEL, India Post, Mypol, NAC Jewellers, LIC, MIDHANI, HAL, HSL, GSL, DRDO, BEL, and BEML, etc., More than 1000 executives got benefitted out of his programs.
Q. Kindly tell us about your experience in the education industry and what makes it the best industry to work in?
Ans. It has been great! I went into education having after a challenging sales and marketing stint with industry. I had the good fortune of working with some of the most reputed B-Schools and learning the best practices in them. I myself had the privilege of contributing some practices to those places which had initially nurtured me.
There are umpteen reasons why education industry is the best and most challenging industry. A few reasons:
- It has the rare opportunity as well as the challenge of shaping the future generation of this country’s citizens.
- The nature of its service itself gives the practitioners a chance of continuously getting better.
- It is the only industry that pays for continuous learning, up-gradation of knowledge, new skills, and new methods.
- Importantly, it is the place where knowledge is built and disseminated.
- The immense sense of satisfaction when my student friends scaling greater heights' through excellence in their careers!!
Q. Any of the significant challenges you faced as the Director of Hyderabad Business School?
Ans. The biggest challenges have been:
In the strategy dimension, keeping the focus on the organic growth of GITAM HBS at a required pace, in consonance with the GITAM University’s vision of ‘becoming a global leader in higher education’
Being in a university B-School, keeping the faculty focused on research and helping them bring that learning to the classroom
Helping the faculty add value and insights to the modern day classroom where students have access to all knowledge through the latest technological innovations
Q. How does your curriculum ensure best practices of the industry?
Ans. We have set up systems at GITAM HBS to regularly keep in touch with industry:
- We get regular feedback from industry on our products (our students) and our services.
- We include experts from industry and academia in our excellent Board of Studies, which guides our designing of the right curriculum for industry’s current needs.
- We continuously train our faculty by innovations such as facilitating their internship with industry.
- We ensure that 20% of our curriculum is taught by passionate practitioners from industry.
Q. What goals do you have in your mind for Hyderabad Business School?
Ans. Simply to be the most sought after B-School in this part of the world.
Q. You pride yourself on the level of education and responsibility you teach here to students. How to you ensure the quality of education in your institution?
Ans. By these three steps, ensuring:
- That we recruit learned faculty, who are passionate about research and teaching, creating and disseminating knowledge,
- Continuous learning by the faculty through FDPs, refresher programs, workshops, collaborations. For example, our faculty goes for the internship in the industry during the summer along with Students.
- That their learning is transmitted through application-oriented teaching in the classroom.
Q. How do you build a positive school culture or climate?
Ans. Being in the education industry, we provide educational services. Any service worth its name must ensure that it should take care of ‘three P’s’ for delivering the best quality: People, Process, Physical Evidence. People comprise, in our context, both faculty and students. We recruit the best faculty. We admit the most serious and passionate students. Process for us comprises rigorous teaching-learning systems that ensure that teaching and learning are pure joy. GITAM University has always ensured that our infrastructure (the Physical evidence) is state-of-the-art. By continuously improving our 3 Ps, we build a positive culture and climate at our School.
Q. How do you tend to establish a relationship with the students?
Ans. Though our primary role is that of a teacher’s, we don many roles according to the changing needs of our students: we act as parents when we advise them on their non-academic issues of concern, we act as friends when we perceive our students’ need to unburden themselves of their everyday agonies, we act as a guide to broaden their perspective, we act as role models when it comes to demonstrating a value-based life. This how our relationship with our students is many-hued.
Q. How do you look at the growth of students through placement opportunities available at Hyderabad Business School? How do you wish to push the envelope further?
Ans. We take care to guide our students diligently in the process of making them industry-ready. We do it through:
- Rigorous training in skills required for the industry throughout the program, and not just before the placement season
- Provision of international immersion programs
- Facilitation of their interaction with experts from industry and international faculty
- Intense academic training
- Constant supervision and handholding where necessary
Q. What is your philosophy of leadership? How would you describe your leadership style?
Ans. Leadership for me consists in the initiative of making all-out efforts in knowing and creating the right environment for everybody in the team to grow together professionally, without losing the human touch.
As for my leadership style, I believe in empowering all my team members in their areas by not compromising on providing all the resources they require and helping them to become leaders themselves.
Q. Any suggestions you would like to give to the current youth and the aspiring students?
Ans. “Stay relevant by acquiring skills that are changing with times!”Last Updated - 19 Jun 2017