Dr. J. Shivakumar is the Principal of Hyderabad Institute of Technology and Management (HITAM). With a doctoral degree from IIT Kharagpur, he has over 30 years of teaching, research, and administrative experience in several technical Institutions of India. He has authored a book and has guided several M.Tech and Ph.D. scholars during his teaching tenure. He is certified with Elite+Silver medal on ‘Accreditation and Outcome-Based Learning’ by the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) program funded by the Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India in 2019.
What are the key factors that keep you connected with the education sector?
“An opportunity to frame the future of this dynamic sector”
Education provides the opportunity to change the world for a better future. As an educator, I feel responsible & dutiful towards the youth of this nation & strive to instill the ability of critical thinking, which is beneficial to society.
What is your philosophy of leadership?
“To be personable, professional and an administrator with a high level of integrity”
My philosophy is to unleash the potential of each individual by empowering them. It is through empowerment we are providing the opportunity to manifest their capabilities.
How does the curriculum of HITAM ensure the best practice of industry?
“Mentorship programs, guidance by Industry scholars & Significant internships”
- We ensure all our students undergo a significant number of internships.
- We have a strong mentor base with industry background.
- We have MoUs with industries, which helps our students to undergo training, field projects, skill based courses, etc.,
- A MoU with IBM which enables us to set up IBM software laboratory, on campus, for emerging technologies.
What do you think should be the Institute’s top priority over the next 5 years?
“Our immediate goal is to become a hub for the current materialising technologies”
The Institute’s top priority is to become a pioneer in imparting knowledge in emerging technologies. Our vision is to become a university that nurtures students with competencies to become confident about their careers and contribute to society.
What would you like people to know about your College they may not know?
“Student-Centricity, Social consciousness, & Continuous learning are our core values”
We have introduced several initiatives under the category of student engagement, service learning, and student skill development.
- Our theme of “Doing Engineering” is being achieved through distinctive practice i.e., Student Skill Development Centre (SSDC).
- Through this center, we enrich students in enhancing their programming skills, hardware interfacing skills, & project management.
- We also have a Career Design Centre (CDC) which takes aspirations from the students in the first year itself.
- We have an EPICS center i.e., Engineering Projects in Community Service. Ours is one among seven institutes in India, that have an MoU with Purdue university for EPICS. Students are encouraged to do community projects in the EPICS center.
Any message you would like to give to the current youth and the aspiring students?
“Volunteer for the development of this society as students are the backbone of it”
Engineering is an opportunity for students to pay back to society. I urge youngsters to get involved in community development. Learn the ethics of society and associate yourself with various programs that promote good citizenship and be a contributor to the community.