With a plethora of career opportunities in Healthcare management, professionals should select the right career, keeping in mind a few points, including having an interest in Health. Healthcare management is emerging as an upcoming field in India. Given the possible growth of health sector in India, professionals with specialized management degrees will be one of most sought after in the coming days. It is estimated that healthcare industry will grow in India at a CAGR (Compounded Annual Growth Rate) of 16.6%. This is phenomenal in light of recent growth in any industry.
Many students are nowadays highly confused with what to do after graduation. Few lucky ones get a job after graduation, but the majority have to get a post graduate degree to have a decent job. Healthcare management is one of such field that has brilliant prospects in the job environment. Currently, the demand outweighs the supply and this trend is likely to continue in the coming decade. So, what are the top career opportunities after doing healthcare management from any good institute? There are plenty.
Here are the top 10 career opportunities in Hospital Management:
- Patient safety and quality management coordinators: This position guides staff within the hospital and seeks to improve the quality of patient care through assurance and innovation in partnership with local teams. This helps in the process to improve the reduction of medical errors and other factors that contribute to accidental patient outcomes. The Patient Safety and Quality Coordinator, together with senior clinical and operational managers, is responsible for the implementation of patient safety and quality improvement initiatives.
- Hospital operations or administrators: Health administrators are responsible for safeguarding smooth operation of a hospital, hospital system or healthcare organization. As the backbone of healthcare systems, healthcare administrators take on the responsibilities of supervising vast expanses of medical personnel. They work behind the scenes to make all types of health care facilities work as efficiently as possible and also can work on hiring doctors, developing budgets, coming up with new policies and patient services to name a few.
- Assistant medical superintendents or deputy medical superintendents: They ensure high standards of patient care and work to deliver on service quality standards along with defining and implementing Performance Parameters for Doctors. They are experts in implementing and adhering to Standard Operative Procedures in all Clinical Specialties, conducting regular Medical Audits on an ongoing basis, etc. They work to ensure that proper Standard Operative Procedures are in place for the efficient admission, care & discharge of patients.
- CEOs of hospitals: A Hospital CEO is a person responsible for the management and operation of an entire healthcare organization who ensures that the hospital is run in the most cost-effective manner possible. The main objective of the CEO is to plan, direct and coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of secondary level executives and staff managers.
- Entrepreneurs: Many hospital management experts do not wish to join any industry or an organization but to start a venture of their own. At this current scenario of start-ups and entrepreneurs, this is emerging as one of the new but interesting career options of starting one's own set-ups or enterprises. Start-ups can be hospitals, consulting firms, management agencies or even healthcare IT firms.
- Training coordinators: Training coordinators are responsible for training, mapping out training plans, designing and developing training programs.
- Managers or assistant managers at Third party administrators (TPAs): TPAs function as an intermediary between the insurance provider and the insured. One can join as Managers and Assistant Managers on pursuing Healthcare Management and these specialists work with medical records, coding and billing professionals, and insurance companies to ensure the plan benefits are properly applied.
- Bio-medical waste management expert: The Ministry of essential & climate change, Gov. of India has raised the BMW Rules on 28th March 2016, through a gazette notification, every health care facility is mandated to segregate and Dispose of Bio-medical waste as per these rules. There is an imminent need to increase the awareness & Training/ Capacity Building of the different category of health functionary in the safe disposal of Bio-medical waste from Hospital and Health Centre.
- District program managers: This category of professionals is designated to the monitoring and planning of district health strategies, as in the National Rural Health Mission.
- Consultants in international and national NGOs: NGO’s working in the health sector is another favored destination. However, there is catch in all of these. Healthcare and hospital management is a specialized field and needs professionals from the healthcare sector to impart the appropriate knowledge and skills to a fresh graduate. Not all the institutes and academies have the required capabilities to provide curriculum and training to create job-ready candidates. Thus, it is important to choose the right institution so that the right career opportunities could unfold it.
Dean, Academics, IIHMR, Delhi
Last Updated - 25 Apr 2017