Applications are invited from eligible candidates for admission to Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program by NIT-Shillong, Meghalaya for the academic session beginning in January, 2016. The candidates will have to apply online and also, send a hard copy of offline form plus a print out of the filled online form along with all the required documents via post.
The last date of online form submission is November 27, 2015 and for offline forms is December 8, 2015. The test date is December 12, 2015, a list of shortlisted candidates for written test will be uploaded on the institute’s official website on December 4, 2015.
NIT, Meghalaya Ph.D. Program Specializations
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
NIT, Shillong Ph.D. Categories:
The candidates will be admitted to the Ph.D. program under following categories;
- Full time: full time work for Ph.D. research/ courses will have to be done by scholars enrolled under this program, however, fellowship or assistantship might be provided by the institute (as per MHRD norms). Fellowship under Visvesvaraya Ph.D. scheme for Electronics and IT is also provided.
- Sponsored: Scholars can also be sponsored by recognized research and development organizations, government organizations, different national institutions, other universities, or industries. Such scholars will not be sponsored by NIT (M), although they will have work full time on Ph.D. research/ courses.
- Project fellow: if the eligibility criteria are met, scholars currently working on different research projects at NIT (M) might be admitted to the Ph.D. program, but only on the consent of the principal.
- Part Time: Scholars that are employed at different organizations/ Institution (including NIT, Meghalaya) may also apply for admission to the Ph.D. program following the standard procedure. Only if they meet all the perquisites.
NIT, Meghalaya 2015 Ph.D. Program Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must have obtained master’s degree in befitting branch of Science/ Technology/ Engineering/ Management Sciences or a master’s degree in allied subjects with a minimum aggregate of 60% or an equivalent CGPA.
- Candidates with B.Tech/B.E degree should have a minimum aggregate of 75% or an equivalent GPA with a valid GATE score may also apply.
- Candidates applying for Ph.D. in Arts/Humanities and Social Sciences are required to have a minimum of 55% in the master’s degree.
Relaxation: - Candidates from SC/ST/PD category will have a relaxation of 5% marks or 0.5 CGPA from the eligibility criteria.
There are fifteen (15) seats in total. Reservation of seats for SC, ST, OBC (NCL) and PD categories will be in accordance to MHRD norms. OBC (NCL) candidates will need to submit certificate (issued before April 1, 2015) and self-declaration statement in standard prescribed format.
NIT, Meghalaya 2015 Ph.D. Program Application Procedure
Candidates are supposed to apply both online and offline. Applicants will have to fill an online form on the official website of the institute (Last date of online form submission is November 27, 2015 by 5:00 PM) and also need to send a filled hard copy form of the application attached to the print out of the online form along with all the testimonials/documents (self-attested) with a DD by December 8, 2015 by 5:00 PM.
Instructions for online application of the form are given below:
- Open the NIT, Meghalaya’s official website http://nitmeghalaya.in/nitm/index.html
- Go to ‘News’ section and click on ‘admission to Ph.D. programme starting from January 2016’.
- Now you will be directed to the official NIT notification; you will have to scroll down and click on ‘click here’ button under ‘Apply Online’.
- You will find the application form in the new window, fill in all the required information and also take a print of the filled online form. (to be sent along with a hardcopy of offline form )
- Now go back to the notification page and just under ‘apply online’ button, click on ‘Ph.D. application form’ under download and the offline form will be downloaded.
Application Fee Details:
Application fee is Rs. 500 /- (Rs. 250/- for SC/ST) by Demand Draft (DD) in favor of “NIT Meghalaya” to be payable at Shillong.
Applicants are requested to send the filled up applications to:Registrar, NIT Meghalaya,
Bijni Complex, Laitumkhrah, Shillong-793003.
NIT Meghalaya 2015 Ph.D. Program Selection Process
Selection of candidates will be based on a written test that the candidates are supposed to appear in their corresponding discipline. Shortlisted candidates from the written test will be called in for a personal interview for the final selection.Last Updated - 21 Nov 2015