7th April 2018, Jalandhar: LPU, in association with Spinal Cord Injury Association (SCIA) held the concluding day of ‘Vistaar’ 2018 with Para games such as Athletics, Shot Put, Javelin, Discuss throw, Shooting, Rugby, Basketball and Cricket for Spinal cord Injured people. Almost 300 persons with spine injuries, even from far off cities including Kerala, Jammu, Punjab, Bihar, Himachal, Delhi and Haryana participated. The day focused on appreciating the efforts and high spirits of such people for leading a happy and an active life.
Different sessions of the ‘Vistaar’ 2018 were aimed to sensitize the society and involved agencies in adopting stringent measures for further prevention of such injuries. SCIA President Parvinder Singh Sonu and Vice President Davinder Singh were observed encouraging the participants, who themselves had been bed-ridden for several years. The flagship sports event for SCI patients brings together people who have had their lives changed by a traumatic injury or illness. The Para-games also help to soothe the difficulty experienced by wheelchair-dependent people in maintaining cardiovascular health and fitness through daily activities.
Addressing the affected and the accompanying relatives, LPU Chancellor Mr. Ashok Mittal said: "Our aim is to encourage and support the spinal cord injured people in future also. It is very important to understand that SCI people are the honorable part of the society. We should all salute the high spirits of all such individuals.”
Summary of the results:
- Discuss throw, Javelin & Shot Put (Women’s Category): Sakshi from Punjab won Gold medal
- Rifle (Women’s Category): Aarti won Gold from Delhi
- Pistol (Women’s Category): Sakshi won Gold medal from Delhi
- Shot Put (Men’s category): Gurbir Singh won Gold medal from Uttarakhand (F 51), Sunil Kumar won Gold medal from Bihar (F 52), Prashant Naik won Gold medal from Orissa (F 54) and Wasim won Gold medal from J&K (F 55)
- Discuss throw: Kamal Kant won Gold medal from Orissa (F 52), Zohar won Gold medal from J&K (F 53), Aamir Sohal won Gold medal from J&K (F 54) and Gaurav Yadav won Gold medal from UP (F 55)
- Javelin: Kamal Kant from Orissa won Gold medal (F 52), Zohar won Gold medal from J&K (F 53), Aamir Sohal won Gold medal from J&K (F 54)
- Rifle: Niaz Ahmed won Gold from J & K
- Pistol: Saurabh Dhir won Gold medal from Punjab
- Cricket: UP defeated Punjab by 13 runs