Interview by Yash Panchal
CA S.K. Gupta, Chairman of RCE, is well known for his Entrepreneurship in his profession as Chartered Accountant and running technical institutions since last two decades. He is a promoter of many Industries and Educational Institutions in India. Under his leadership, RCE is committed to excellence in education.
Educational institutions all around the world along with the aspirations of students and parents have undergone critical transformations with time. Having successfully completed two decades of instituting quality education for all, RCE has been making meaningful educational transformations and accomplishing world-class standards of academic excellence.
The continuous effort to reinforce the commitment to achieve that extra mile helps students discover and reach their personal goals in life. This is evident in the RCE’s consistent show of excellent academic results. RCS’s multicultural and inclusive learning environment with a futuristic curriculum in place enables every student to carve a niche for them and become a responsible Global Citizen.
RCE’ians are holding key positions in the corporate world. Our prime motto is that every person in RCE should have a smile on his face and satisfaction. RCE nurture the students in a holistic way so that they have self-confidence, honesty, moral values, and good technical knowledge. RCE’ians are hardworking, transparent and get 100% placement.
He further adds that "Strong principles and value-based education have helped us in imparting values that are reflected in our students who are serving in various sectors at prominent positions, reaching people from all walks of life. I believe that one can only grow by sharing and giving. I will continue to ensure that we excel even further in the future and will strive to make every single RCE Graduate a world class professional."
Mr. Gupta’s experience in the education industry
I share a wonderful experience in Educations having been in it for over 1 decade. It always provides space for learning and sharing knowledge with the students’ community. Engineering as a pioneering wing of education pertains to both knowledge and applies knowledge viewer from the angle of its ethical value. It is no doubt that right education is a key stream to success and its related platforms.
Our institution beyond doubt is committed to filling the gap between institutes and Industries. All the possible means right from providing quality education to imparting knowledge for a secured life and career of the aspiring students. By all means, we keep a stand-in maintaining and justifying both quality and quantity of education. Quality of education is like both the sides of one coin with an authentic appeal as intrinsic and other as face value. Education ought to be a fathomless industry as it takes proper care of its technical value. Catering of education is measuring the parameter of management, money management, and time management. My experience is very good. I work on:
- Research and development
- Workshops/ Seminar
- Paper Publication
- Money Management
- Time management.
Mr. Gupta’s philosophy of leadership
My Philosophy of leadership is:
- Hard work
- Work is worship
- Knowledge is power
- Committed to excellence in education.
RCE provides industrial visits as well as guest lectures on latest technology used in industries to develop the student’s vision towards the quality of work. RCE is enlightening as one of the premier educational institutions in the Roorkee region.
The key differentiator at RCE is its genesis in its ethos. It's ethos of student centeredness, which guides every action at RCE and is central to its founding philosophy of creating and sustaining a community of lifelong learners, in an environment of literacy and critical thinking who can contribute significantly as value creators to the greater social wellbeing. Guiding this core value system at the institute is a leadership that believes in the universalization of education for humanity. RCE stands for its excellence. The pursuit of excellence in all its myriad dimensions is a continuous and relentless endeavor at the college, and it follows an eclectic and inclusive approach that is committed to taking the benefits of education and learning for the society at large.
To enhance the knowledge and exposure of students, industry expert lectures are conducted regularly across various branches. Well-known experts from industry and academia share their experience with students which helps them enhance their knowledge make them aware of the latest happenings in the corporate world.
Significant challenges faced by Mr. Gupta as Chairman of RCE
Education is a dynamic sector at present. Developing the best practices for the teaching-learning process require good tuning between students and faculties to sustain the gap of unknown factors which are left in their previous studies to make it acceptable. Our faculty is composed of men and women who are world-class scholars. Faculty members are passionate and curious individuals who continue their own research while teaching at RCE. They come from across the country and bring with them a diverse wealth of knowledge. The RCE faculty strongly emphasizes that tomorrow’s technocrats need to be creative, hardworking and ready to shoulder tough challenges with a strategic and operational global perspective. All technical faculty members with mentoring skills are highly professional and genuinely committed to nurturing young minds. At RCE we attract meritorious students and are a pleasure to be amongst them.
Some of the challenges are:
- Parent interaction
- Maintaining the best academic and placement results in every year
- Maintaining quality education
- Provide more extra activity for the development of students
- Three things are important discipline, dedication, and hard work
- Maintaining admission and placement
We know that the present day economies are governed by market forces. After globalization, liberalization, and privatization, the market has become very demanding, suddenly we are pushed into a situation where there is no excuse for incompetence. The jungle rule prevails. It is the survival of the fittest. Technical Education is one of the most significant components of human resources development spectrum in improving the quality of life of the people.
Curriculum of RCE
We emphasize for best practice of industry like:
- We provide the lecture planning of each subject on lecture basis.
- We inspire the students to learn basic knowledge of industry used instruments and measurements tools.
- Our teaching pedagogy is skewed towards handouts, experiments, industry interaction and learning by doing. This helps the students to earn skill in the real-world situation.
- Further individual assignments, seminars, workshops and group projects act as the catalyst in enhancing the students’ attitude capacity and inculcates the habit of group working.
- We are giving a tutorial sheet.
- We are giving a home assignment.
- We are doing industrial visit.
- We are arranging guest lectures.
- We are doing the mock test.
- We are training for CV writing.
- We are training for software and hardware.
- Working with faculty members/HODs to integrate academic curriculum with project work, summer training, and internship programs.
- We understand that healthy body is the gateway to a healthy mind. Consequently, the college has well-developed games and sports facilities, sufficient outlets for extracurricular and social activities.
- We try to bring the best out of you. With your support, we will develop your attitude, skill, and capacity to face the challenges of the real world.
Mr. Gupta on how he looks at the growth of a student through a job at RCE
Professional training and placements are essential components of professional educations. At RCE, in addition to technical knowledge and exposure, every possible effort goes in enriching our students in professional developments through value-added and employment enhancements training. Our placements records are very good and ever-increasing year by year. Many big names in the corporate sector recruit our students with average starting packages of 10 lakhs/annum.
- We are giving pre-placement talks.
- We are doing an aptitude test.
- We are giving training in every semester break.
- To organize interactive seminars on the emerging technologies.
- To run personality development programs
- To organize Industrial Visits
- To assist the students in developing their academics and career interests through individual counseling
- To impart training to the students for their overall development and selection during the campus recruitment
- To help in developing entrepreneurship skills
- Our careers and employability service, academic colleagues and employers work together to ensure you leave RCE fully prepared for the world of work. We are consistently leading the best performing modern institutions in the state, where students acquire skills that make them consistently among the most employable graduates. RCE is distinctly ahead with a maximum percentage of students placed, year on year. 90% of passing out students opted for various positions in industries such as IT, Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Control, production and software development etc.
Last year, 18 National & International reputed companies visited to hire young talents from RCE. Last year, placement session started with Indian Navy and ended with Genpact India & 116 students were selected by top companies like HCL, India Mart, Genpact, Bajaj son ltd. Dixon Technologies India Ltd, ITG, Munjal Showa LTD, Asahi Glass Industry Ltd, CMS IT Pvt Ltd, Satyam construction and many more.
The college has organized more than 30 industrial visits for the purpose of company’s exposure & students enhance their practical skills & upgrade knowledge according to current & upcoming company’s requirement. Last year, students visited ONGC, CSIR-CBRI, Hero moto crop, JBM, Exide, Cello and many more.
Mr. Gupta on his relation with the students being the chairman of RCE
I always meet with students on a regular basis and present on the campus of every festival or technical fest because they are part of my family. I act as a bridge between student and faculty. The relation between chairman and student is very holy. It is learning process at both the ends. A chairman not only sees the organization but also inspires the generations. I am happy to share the RCE has many experienced Faculties who inspire and motivate students to become great through hard work. They write their own success story.
Views of an ideal school environment
An ideal school environment supports innovation and creativity for overall development of their students. Our College represents the following:
- There should be discipline
- Properly maintain the dress code
- Time management
- Stress management
- Learning By Doing
- Working ethics
- Well etiquette staff and faculty
- Extra co-curricular activities for student’s overall development
Top qualities that an engineer must possess
- Creativity in the field
- Earning by doing good
- Evergreen field of learning on daily basis
- Mind thinking on new technical and research fields of world
- Practically learning system
- Growth unbound
RCE provides all best possibilities for our students’ growth in their respective fields of learning. We plan industrial visits from starting to end of the courses to develop a vision in student’s mind. After deciding the aim of his/her life, the student will work hard for that position and try to learn and how to use the new technology in the industry.
Goals in mind for RCE college for next few years
Our goal is to make RCE a brand in itself in the higher education sector. We create skilled technocrats for the welfare of the society. I am fully dedicated towards RCE with complete loyalty.
Yes, I have planned to convert RCE into RUE (Roorkee University of Engineering). Our infrastructure is better than new IITs and NIITs. We provide all the facilities on our campus as per requirement of students like non-veg Cafeteria, ATM, Modern learning tools. My dream is to become the fountainhead on education in India and mark a quality level in a young generation. Here I have come up with the following infrastructure improvement and expansion plans:-
- Research Development Centre
- We focus to provide an extra academic enhancing programme for students through foreign academician and industrialist
- Video lectures through the well-known personality of the world
- Centralized AC in Academic block: I am in a plan to make the academic building fully equipped with centralized AC so that students can study comfortably during hot summers
- Swimming pool for students: I am also planning to have a swimming pool within the campus
- Underground Parking and Auditorium: This will free up a lot of space on the ground where other constructions could be planned
- Organic Crops: We should develop them here and research on their growth
Suggestions to the current youth and aspiring students
Right Education, Right place, and right person provide one of the finest growth engines in developing a nation. We want our youth to be meritorious in planning their careers and chose an institution where they will be mentored to achieve their goals and fulfill aspirations. RCE is a place where best of the education is provided.
- Time Management- do the things on right time
- Use the time for fitness because health is a wealth
- Well Discipline
- Pass sometime with your faculties, elders, and parents
- Positive Attitude
- Hard work
- Respect Elders
- Maintain culture
In the present day scenario, the society and industry demand the active use of knowledge and skill in ways that are decidedly enlightened, noble and legacy creating. At Roorkee College of Engineering (RCE), we strive to reach out, educate, mentor and guide all those who choose to be the part of this institute.
In this global era, rather than focus on India, the world needs skilled young generation in every field. The world needs plenty well-equipped, talented graduates with the right attitude. There are job opportunities for those who have the potential. In addition, opportunities for self-employment are also plenty for innovative and energetic minds.
At last, I conclude my words :
“Hard work+ Ability = Success”Last Updated - 30 May 2018