Interview by Yash Panchal
Dr. P.M.M. Subrahmanya Sarma is currently the Principal of GIET College of Engineering, Rajahmundry. He has published and presented ten research papers in various journals and has also reviewed multiple papers. He has more than 25 years of teaching experience.
His qualification includes BTech, MTech and PhD in Mechanical Engineering. With this, he also specialises in MBA (HRM) and has a PG diploma in Computer Applications and TQM. He has organised and attended various seminars and conferences at national as well as international level.
Experience in the education industry and what makes it the best
The education sector offers many opportunities for professionalisation at a variety of experience levels. There are many advantages to working in the education sector. A few of the most notable include:
- Exposure to Multiple Perspectives: Jobs in education tend to expose employees to a wide variety of perspectives and many different opinions.
- Stable Schedule: Employees in the education sector can rely on a reliable work schedule with steady hours and little overtime.
- Personal Fulfilment: Employees directly impact the future of the nation and have a chance to instil knowledge in large groups of the population.
- Interpersonal Interactions: Those that choose to enter the education sector develop close relationships with their coworkers, students, and academic community
Challenges faced as the Principal of GIFT College
I started serving as a principal at GIFT College from the year 2018. Till date, I have not encountered any challenges at this position.
Dr. P.M.M. Subrahmanya’s ways to ensure the standards of education is maintained
As an affiliated college, we have no control over the curriculum. The curriculum given by the university is designed keeping the above factors in consideration. However, for any mismatches, we advise students to undergo some value-added courses.
Qualities that an aspiring engineer must possess
- As per my understanding, there are certain qualities that the student must have:
- Good communication skills
- Team player
- Open minded
- Thinking ahead
- Effective Risk management
- Setting realistic yet challenging goals
- Minimizing complexity
- Assuming ownership
- Team building characteristics
- Knowledge utilization
Steps taken to establish a relationship with the students
- By providing a structured environment
- Teaching with enthusiasm and passion
- Displaying a positive attitude
- Treating students with affection
- Creating a safe and secure environment
Qualities considered before enrolling students in the programs
- At our institute, the essential attributes and skill set we look in a student are listed below:
- Quick learners - Ability to gain new skills faster
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to take ownership - Initiative and accountability for one's work
- 'Never say never' attitude - Eagerness to take responsibility for and above one's job profile
- Problem-solving skills - Finding creative solutions for complex issues
- Sincerity, hard work and perseverance - Key attributes of a potential employee
- Team player
- Personal credibility and integrity
- Likeability factor - Building rapport within the company
- Ability to multitask
Dr. P.M.M. Subrahmanya philosophy of leadership and Style
- Authentic leadership
- Ethical leadership
- 3 P Approach – Purpose, People, Principles
- Value-based leadership
Suggestions to the youth and aspiring students
Being successful often means learning from those who have already achieved their goals. Having a mentor is a fantastic blessing, but not everyone can find one in person.
- Challenge yourself.
- Do work you care about.
- Take the risk.
- Believe in yourself.
- Have a vision.
- Find good people.
- Face your fears.
- Take action.
- Do the time.
- Manage energy, not time.
- Build a great team.
- Hire character.
- Plan for raising capital.
- Know your goals.
- Learn from mistakes.
- Know your customer.
- Learn from complaints.
- Ask for customers’ input.
- Spend wisely.
- Understand your industry.
- Deliver more than expected.
All in all, Being a successful person takes a lot of work, a proper vision and a lot of perseverance.
Last Updated - 26 Mar 2019