Robotics is a branch of Engineering and Science which includes streams like Mechanical, Electronics, Computer Science, etc. The robotics engineering sector has been growing at a rapid speed and it has the potential to be one of the biggest fields because of the immense growth in manufacturing sector.
Robotics involves the designing, conception, manufacturing, and operation of robots. Robotics helps in identifying new techniques and developing machines which can make life easier for humans. Robots are made to resemble human beings and replicate basic human actions like walking, lifting, cognition, etc. Robots can be used domestically and commercially in any situation or for any purpose. They can also be used for huge tasks like defusing bombs, finding survivors, exploring mines, etc.
A Robotics Engineer designs the necessary processes to make the robot function properly. The majority of his/her time is spent on designing the plans needed to build robots. Other tasks include building, configuring and testing robots as well as designing software systems to control their robotic mechanism. Robotics Engineers make work efficient, faster and inexpensive.
Benefits of Robotics in real life world
- Helpful in medical research and remote surgery
- Carrying out specific tasks like dishwashing, paint spraying, lawn mowing, etc.
- Ideal for sectors like Retail, E-Commerce, and Pharmaceuticals
- Bomb disposal, search and rescue mission for the military
- Entertainment, computer-aided manufacturing, gaming, space research, etc.
The family of the Founder and Chancellor Mr. Harshavardhan Neotia were co-promoters of the cement giant, Ambuja Cement Ltd. Ambuja Neotia is one of the most prominent and respected corporate house headquartered in Kolkata with its forte in real estate, hospitality, healthcare and education. The group, under the stewardship of Mr. Harshavardhan Neotia has been responsible for landmark projects in and around Kolkata.
Ambuja Neotia Group, with a strong sense of social commitment, extends its capabilities towards the development of education. The Neotia family started its journey in education with Neotia Institute of Technology, Management and Science (NITMAS), previously known as Institute of Technology and Marine Engineering (ITME), a college established in 2002, affiliated to the then West Bengal University of Technology, which is now known as Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology (MAKAUT). The Neotia University (TNU) was established vide the West Bengal State Government Act XXIII of 2014. Though TNU is relatively new in its present configuration, it has its antecedents in the 16 years old institution.
In 2011 Neotia Academy of Nursing was launched which provides quality training to students and create dedicated quality nurses. The institute offers Bachelor in Nursing and Diploma in Nursing under the West Bengal Nursing Council, West Bengal Health University and Indian Nursing Council.
TNU and NITMAS are the two dynamic endeavours of the Ambuja Neotia Group in the field of education. While NITMAS continues to offer long-established conventional courses to the students in West Bengal, TNU is primarily reaching out to much larger audience, offering highly advanced futuristic courses in various fields of Technology, Maritime Studies, Hospitality, Agriculture, Law and in other general areas of education. TNU is one of the institutes in the country that follows Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). CBCS enables students to choose any elective course along with their core courses.
Both TNU and NITMAS are diligent to pursuit of excellence and aim to attain holistic development of its students by fostering a truly inspirational academic environment and ensure that the education provided is contemporary and experiential through partnership with industries and other academic institutes.
- Ranked as the Best Upcoming Private University in India
- Futuristic Innovative Courses
- Reputed Faculty Members
- Choice Based Credit System
- Option to Choose Inter-Disciplinary Programs
- Smart Class Rooms
- Approved Local Chapter of NPTEL to supplement audio-video lectures, three million e-books and other documents through a number of catalogues, lists and other databases on the server, that are accessible through the internet by the students
- Emphasis on Hands-on Learning & Field Training
- Wi-Fi Enabled Campus
- Top Placement Cell & Employability
- Future ready tech-savvy programs in academia in partnership with Infosys
- MoU signed with IBM India Private Limited to skill and enhance employability of Cyber Security/ Data Analytics/ Cloud Computing Graduates
- Internship with Top IT & Core companies like DVC, BSNL, Durgapur Steel Plant, South-Eastern & Eastern Railways, etc.
- Specialized Software Training by industry experts (120 hrs. in eight semesters)
- Compulsory Soft Skills & Aptitude Training by Corporate Trainers (120 hrs. in eight semesters)
- Curriculum designed by expert committees consisting of industry experts and academic stalwarts
- Transparent online/ offline admission process
- Separate Residential Accommodation for Boys and Girls
- A.C Coach Facility for Day Scholars
TNU and Robotics
TNU is the only university in Eastern India which offers B.Tech /M.Tech in Robotics Engineering. The courses help students to learn how to develop robots. Students develop various robots for industry applications and solve real-life industry problems.
In 2015, TNU partnered withPhi Robotics Research Pvt. Ltd., a company based in Maharashtra, to help develop and deliver the advanced course curriculum and laboratory facilities for B.Tech/M.Tech in Robotics Engineering. The advanced curriculum helps students to learn from hands-on training and observation. Moreover, Phi Robotics has already offered conditional employment to the first batch students of TNU in Robotics Engineering Program.
Phi Robotics develops the most innovative, efficient and cost-effective products for the robotics requirements of the world. Phi Robotics comprises a team of experts in robotics, control systems, web technologies, computer graphics, computer vision, mechanical systems and distributed systems. It strives to create a better world and improving lives while ensuring customer satisfaction and safety.
As far as the admission process is concerned, the minimum eligibility required for admission to B.Tech/M.Tech in Robotics Engineering is 10+2 qualification with Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry/ Computer Science with at least 60% marks. 4 years for B.Tech, 6 years for B.Tech & M.Tech.
Reasons to pursue Robotics Engineering from TNU
- Partnership with Phi Robotics Pvt. Ltd. is favorable for the students as it helps in developing and delivering healthy participatory learning process.
- Phi Robotics will also hire students from TNU who meet their recruitment criteria.
- TNU offers numerous merit-based as well as need-based scholarships to ensure that no student is left behind.
- In addition, the University has arrangement with SBI and Syndicate Bank to provide Educational Loans to the students.
- Robotics is a growing market, the estimated worth of the robotics market will be $1.5 billion for consumer and business robots by 2022.
- Robotics market for consumer and office robots is expected to grow at CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 17% between the period of 2014 and 2019.
Career prospects of Robotics Engineering
The opportunities are abundant in the field of Robotics Engineering in India as well as abroad. It gives ample opportunity to showcase creativity and innovation with a strong background in Mechanical, Electrical, or Software engineering. Degree holders in the field of robotics can work as automation system engineers, programming engineers, analysts, researchers, robot designers, project managers or test engineers in different fields.
The demand for Robotics Engineers is expected to be on a high in the coming future. The robots will create more jobs for high-skilled tech workers in India. By 2022, 50% of the jobs are expected to be taken away by Robots. Nearly one-third (700,000) of low-skilled workers in India’s IT sector could lose their jobs by 2022 due to an uptick in the adoption of robotics and artificial intelligence.
Robotics Engineers can work in manufacturing, maintenance, and research of nuclear power plants. Robotics Engineers are also hired for space exploration, power plant maintenance, petroleum exploring places, appliances & electronics building and food packaging, etc.
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Precision Automation & Robotics India Ltd. And Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) are some of the top recruiters in India for Robotics Engineers. Multinational automobile companies like BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz and Honda also recruit the highest number of Robotics Engineers.
The annual average salary for a Robotics Engineers in the US is between $77000 to $112000 depending on experience, working location and education factors. In India, the starting annual salary for a Robotics Engineer is INR 3 to 4 Lakhs and goes further up with experience.
Achievements of TNU’s Robotics department
- 4 student projects from Robotics Engineering Department were selected for qualifying round in INTEL Higher education challenge 2017. TNU received instruments worth of $400 from INTEL for developing prototypes of those projects.
- TNU got selected for qualifying round in India Innovation Challenge Design Contest (IICDC) 2017, organized by DST, Govt. Of India, TI and IIM, Bangalore. The university’s project was selected under top 1106 project ideas from 965 engineering colleges across the nation and participation from 15,380 students. TNU got instruments from Texas Instruments for developing a prototype of that project.
- MoU with Phi Robotics Research Private Limited which offered conditional employment to the first batch of Robotics Engineering students.
In a nutshell, pursuing a career in Robotics Engineering from The Neotia University will not only give the students to venture into a creative and imaginative world but will also enable them to make a positive impact in the future. TNU provides the perfect platform for future Robotics Engineers and nurtures them in the best possible manner to come out as professionals ready to reshape the future.Last Updated - 30 May 2018