CMAT 2021 remains an online computer based test. The CMAT is a management aptitude test, its syllabus and pattern are similar to other MBA entrance exams. To prepare for the Quantitative Aptitude, the most important thing is to know the syllabus and pattern.
In this article, you will find all about CMAT preparation tips, Quantitative Aptitude syllabus, pattern, question papers, best books, section-wise, and many other useful strategies to crack the CMAT 2021 exam.
CMAT 2021 Highlights
- CMAT has negative marking of -1 marks for wrong answer. There is no negative marking for unanswered questions
- There is no sectional time limit in CMAT. The candidates can choose the chronology of sections to answer as per their convenience.
- Focus on meeting sectional cut off, first. If there’s enough time left, attempt the questions left behind one more time.
- Start with easy questions first then move to tough questions. Attempt GK section at last as it should not take more than 10-15 minutes.
- The CMAT question paper is generally of moderate difficulty. RC passages in the Language Comprehension section are also often easily understandable.
Section-wise CMAT 2021 Syllabus
Given below are the section-wise topics that candidates must study while preparing for the CMAT exam. Each of the four sections carries an equal number of questions. However, the weightage of topics varies in each section.
Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
The Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation section contains 25 questions in the MCQ format. The important topics of this section are given below:
|Pipes and Cisterns||Simple Interest and Compound Interest||Time-Speed-Distance|
|Probability||Allegation & Mixtures||Profit and Loss|
|Permutations & Combinations||Percentages||Work and Time|
|In-equations||Quadratic and linear equations||Mensuration|
|Ratio and Proportion||Line||Pie Chart, Bar Chart|
The Logical Reasoning section has 25 MCQs. Given below are the topics of the Logical Reasoning section of CMAT 202 :
|Analytical Reasoning||Analogy Test||Direction and Distance Test|
|Linear Arrangements||Blood Relationship Tests||Ranking Tests|
|Statements and Arguments||Coding and Decoding||Statements Assumptions|
|Sequencing||Inferences||Statements and Conclusion|
|Matrix Arrangements||Non-Verbal Reasoning||Symbol Based Problems|
|Number Series||Cause and Effects||-|
The Language Comprehension section will be containing two sections i.e. verbal ability and reading comprehension. Both of the topics will have 25 questions altogether. Important topics for English Language section of CMAT 2021 are:
|Reading Comprehension||English Usage Errors||Synonyms|
|English Grammar||Paragraph Completion||Antonyms|
|Jumbled Para||One-Word Substitution||Sentence Improvement|
There will be 25 questions in the General Awareness section. It will be a mixed back of current affairs and static GK. Important topics of the General Awareness section of CMAT 2021 are given below:
|Current Affairs of National and International Economy||Economics||Culture|
|Personalities in News||Sports News||Science in Everyday Life|
How To Prepare For CMAT 2021: Exam Pattern & Marking Scheme
CMAT is an online exam conducted in two sessions from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm. The CMAT question paper contains 100 MCQs with four options each to choose the right answer from. Given below is the CMAT exam pattern 2020:
|CMAT Exam Pattern||Details|
|Number of sections||4 (Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension, General Awareness)|
|Mode of examination||Online|
|Duration of exam||180 minutes|
|Number of Shifts||2 (9:30 am to 12:30 am and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm)|
|Number of questions||100|
|Language of paper||English|
Each section of CMAT exams carries 25 questions of 4 marks each totaling it to 400. There is negative marking so the candidates must answer the questions carefully. For each right answer, the candidate will be awarded 4 marks and for each wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted. There is no deduction of marks for unanswered questions.
Best Books for CMAT 2021 Preparation
The syllabus of CMAT is the same as the CAT exam, books recommended the latter are good study material for the former too. Below mentioned are the best books for CMAT.
Best Books for CMAT: Quantitative Aptitude
|Books for CMAT||Author Name/Publisher|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma (Mc Graw Hill Education)|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Tests for Admission Into IIMs||Sarvesh K Verma (Arihant)|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha (Mc Graw Hill Education)|
|NCERT Mathematics Books for Standard 8, 9 and 10||NCERT|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Dr RS Aggarwal|
Best Books for CMAT: Logical Reasoning
|Books for CMAT||Author Name/Publisher|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma (Mc Graw Hill Education)|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha (Pearson)|
Best Books for CMAT: Language Comprehension
|Books for CMAT||Author Name/Publisher|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Arun Sharma (Mc Graw Hill Education|
|The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning||Dr. R S Aggarwal|
|Trishna’s Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT and Other MBA Examinations||TIME|
Besides these books, a candidate must also study from The Complete Reference Manual for CMAT by SK Sinha, S Satyanarayan, and JS Rana. This book is exclusively for CMAT preparation.
Other useful books to improve vocabulary and grammar for CMAT exam are given below:
- Wren & Martin English Grammar
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Business English and Communication by John O E Clark
- 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary by Norman Lewis
- The Students’ Companion by Wilfred D Best
- A Communicative Grammar of English by Geoffrey Leech and Jan Svartvik
Best Books for CMAT: General Awareness
To strengthen Current Affairs and General Knowledge aspirants must subscribe to the following newspapers and journals:
|Newspapers and Journals|
|The Hindu||Financial Express|
|Economic Times||The Financial Times|
|Wall Street Journal||Hindu Business Line|
|Business Today||Business World|
|Management Compass Career Launcher||Competition Success Review|
CMAT Pattern and Test Structure
CMAT exam is conducted in online mode and the question type is MCQ. The table tabulated below is the section-wise break-up of questions and marks allotted to them.
|Name of CMAT Test Section||Number of questions||Type of questions||Level of difficulty|
|Language Comprehension||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Moderate (3-4 questions are difficult)|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||DI more difficult; Quant –moderate|
|Logical Reasoning||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Moderate to difficult|
|General awareness||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Easy to moderate|
CMAT 2021 Quantitative Aptitude: Online Resources
There are plenty of websites available on the internet with accurate and precise material for CMAT Quantitative Aptitude Preparation. Candidates should refer to such websites to make themselves comfortable with the computer-based test format of CMAT Exam. While every preparation portal has its own forte, candidates are suggested to refer multiple websites to acquaint with different forms of questions. Here is the list of websites offering preparation material for the Quantitative Aptitude section of CMAT Exam.
|Study Material||Mock Tests||Question Bank/Practice Papers|
Also Check Preparation Tips for Logical Reasoning
How to start CMAT preparation at home?
CMAT preparation should be started at home now without waiting any further. CMAT toppers studying at top AICTE approved CMAT score accepting colleges advise to start self-preparation at home without being dependent on any coaching. Some of the CMAT preparation tips are given below :
- First, go through the revised CMAT exam pattern
- Read thoroughly the CMAT syllabus 2021
- Pick out your strong and weak areas in all the four sections
- Gather the best books and preparation material for CMAT preparation
- Improve on your weak areas and monitor the improvement regularly
- Take as many CMAT Mocks during your CMAT 2021 preparation and do the analysis of each Mock. Without analysis of Mock, attempting a mock test may not be useful.
- If you are weak in VARC, reading different articles and novels, conversing in English with friends, and even watching English TV series and movies will be helpful.
- Write down whatever new words you encounter after reading at least 5-6 newspaper articles every day
- Data Interpretation (DI) is considered a bit more time-consuming. Start practicing on DI questions. Use approximation techniques for quick calculations.
CMAT 2021: Six-month preparation plan
First of all, make a six-month preparation plan for the CMAT exam. If you plan to take coaching all your needs will be taken care of but if you plan CMAT 2021 preparation by self-study, start with the following.
- Check CMAT syllabus and exam pattern
- Get hold of CMAT books and other study material
- Join online study groups on Facebook, Quora, YouTube, Telegram, WhatsApp, etc.
- Download MBA entrance exam preparation apps for assistance and sample tests
The next step towards six months CMAT preparation has been divided the duration into phases. The first phase should be spent in covering the syllabus, the second phase should be spent in practicing sample papers and mock tests and the final phase should be spent in revision and exam day preparation. Here's how to prepare for CMAT 2021 in six months.
CMAT 2021 Preparation: First Phase
Starting from July, you will have over six months to prepare for CMAT 2021. So, dedicate July, August, and September in covering the CMAT syllabus.
Look at all the topics of Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension, General Awareness, and start with the topic that you find toughest. Most students begin with brushing up their basics of Maths for Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation. The candidate should start reading from the beginning to strengthen Language Comprehension. Since all four sections have equal weightage, he/she needs to focus on each of them equally well.
Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
The questions of Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation are usually of moderate difficulty. Most of the questions are asked from Arithmetic, Geometry, Modern Math, Algebra, Trigonometry, and Numbers. The Data Interpretation questions are based mostly on tables and charts.
To prepare for this section, begin with revisiting the basics of Mathematics. In this section, the key is to have conceptual clarity and the ability to apply theory on various types of problems. After completing a topic, solve a few questions to know how well you have understood it.
Logical Reasoning section of CMAT comprises Coding-Decoding, Blood Relation, Series Completion, Venn Diagram, Number Grid, Directions, and Visual Reasoning. Key to cracking Logical Reasoning is practice, the more you practice, the better you’ll get at unraveling puzzles and breaking down patterns to identify commonality.
Start reading books, novels, newspapers, and magazines in English right from the very beginning. This will help you in cracking dense Reading Comprehension passages. For Grammar, study from Wren & Martin and pay equal focus on Verbal Ability. Most of the questions in this section are on Synonyms/Antonyms, Word-Definition, Para-Jumbles, Spelling, Sentence Correction, Idioms, and Grammar-based questions.
Practice a good number of sectional mock tests to have a grip on different types of RC passages and verbal ability questions.
General Awareness section of CMAT divided into Current Affairs and Static GK. Since this section only requires memorizing topics, you can start preparing for it after completing Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, and Language Comprehension.
Read Competition Success Review for static GK and keep yourself abreast of Current Affairs by watching News. Note down important events and dates.
CMAT 2021 Preparation: Second Phase
The candidate’s second phase of CMAT preparation should start from October and end in November. Dedicate these two months in practicing CMAT mock tests and sample papers. Practicing sample questions is a very important aspect of exam preparation, as it strengthens conceptual clarity achieved in the first phase. It also helps the candidate gaining confidence. Check below some key benefits of CMAT mock tests.
- Solving CMAT mock test and question papers will help the candidate to know topic-wise weightage, the difficulty level of the questions in previous years and the trend of types of questions asked
- CMAT mock test will also help you in assessing your weak areas where you need to pay extra attention
- Practicing mock tests will help you in increasing speed and accuracy in solving questions
- Sectional mock tests will help you develop time management skill vis-a-vis maximum attempts in the exam
- Also, the candidate will discover tricks and shortcuts of solving CMAT questions faster
- Time-bound mock tests will prepare the candidate for the actual exam
CMAT Preparation 2021: Third Phase
No exam preparation is complete without revision. So dedicate December and parts of January in revising the syllabus and memorizing static GK.
Start with the topics you found tough at the beginning of CMAT preparation. Go through each concept and formulae and attempt a few questions based on them. If you have confusion regarding any concept or are stuck on a problem, reach out to a mentor or a friend.
Dedicate the last phase in tying up loose ends but at the same time keep revising topics which are your strength.
CMAT 2021 registrations will begin in November and the exam is expected to be held in the fourth week of January. CMAT 2021 dates will be announced soon. Stay tuned for CMAT news and updates.
How to Prepare for CMAT 2021 in 3 Months
To make an effective three-month CMAT preparation plan, the candidate should know his/her strength and weakness. Look at the CMAT syllabus, go through the topics one by one, and assess yourself on each one of them. In the English, Quant, and General Awareness sections, you will find many topics that you may have had studied in school. All you need is to brush up the knowledge.
The second step in making a three-month preparation plan is to get hold of CMAT books and study material. You can avail of study material and books from either a coaching center or collect them separately from online or offline sources.
CMAT Exam Preparation: 3-Month Plan Highlights
After collecting the study material for CMAT 2021, the three months task-wise.
- The first one and a half months should be spent in covering the syllabus, the next one month in practicing CMAT mock tests, and the last 15 days in revision.
- Join online study groups where you can interact with other candidates, experts, and mentors. Discussion problems and solutions, learn tricks and shortcuts of solving calculation heavy problems from them.
- Download MBA preparation apps on your phone for 24X7 assistance in studies. These apps offer extra study material, QnA platform, audio-visual guidance, and other help in exam preparation
- Understand the CMAT exam pattern thoroughly, as the key to perform well in any exam is to know how to handle a certain number of questions in a certain time limit.
Month-Wise Plan for CMAT Preparation 2021
Divide the three months into three phases and start with working on the syllabus. The table given below is the month-wise plan to prepare for CMAT in three months.
|Second week of October to the first week of December||Complete the CMAT syllabus|
|Second week of December to the first week of January||Practice CMAT question papers and mock tests|
|The second week of January till exam day||Revision|
Phase 1: Complete the CMAT Syllabus
CMAT syllabus consists of various topics of the following subjects:
- Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
- Logical Reasoning
- Language Comprehension & Verbal Ability
- General Awareness
Start with the topic you find toughest. Study it thoroughly and solve practice questions to understand the application. If you were good at Maths in school, you may not need to face problems in the Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation section. Brush up all the algebraic formulae and geometry theorems, go through mensuration and all arithmetic formulae.
To tackle Reading Comprehension questions in Language Comprehension & Verbal Ability, develop the habit of reading business blogs, newspapers, and current affairs magazines. Work on your comprehension skills as sometimes RC passages can be data-heavy or abstract. Reading dense paragraphs in less time increases the chances of silly mistakes. For verbal ability strengthen your grammar and practice sample questions.
Logical Reasoning section of CMAT, like all other MBA entrance exams, is logic-based, and all that matters in this section the deep understanding of patterns. So, be through with the formulae and practice a variety of logical reasoning sections.
General Awareness should be the last part of your phase I plan. Prepare static GK from Manorama Year Book and prepare current affairs by reading newspapers/watching the news daily.
Phase 2: Practice CMAT Question Papers and Mock Tests
CMAT preparation is incomplete without practicing sample questions and attempting mock tests. No amount of preparation viz the CMAT syllabus will get you the desired result if you haven’t practiced CMAT questions. Solving the previous year’s CMAT question paper will not only help you understand the pattern of the exam, but also the trend of types of questions asked and their difficulty level. Similarly, the mock test will prepare you for the actual exam. A mock test is a replica of the actual exam, so the more mock tests you attempt the better you get at the time and speed management.
So, give yourself a month to solve all types of CMAT questions. And analyze your performance after each mock test. The motive of solving sample questions is to improve your performance. Listed below are benefits of practicing mock tests:
- It will improve your speed and accuracy in solving the questions.
- It will help you assess your preparation level, your strengths & weakness, and area of improvement.
- It will help you develop shortcuts and tricks of solving calculation heavy questions.
- It will give you enough practice in the application of formulae and theorems.
- It will help you develop the art of choosing the right question. Since there is negative marking in CMAT, you can’t afford to select a question, the answer to which you are not sure of.
- Practicing previous years’ question papers will instill confidence in you, which is very important to perform in a speed-based test.
- Do not fret if you perform badly initially. Keep practicing and you will improve.
Phase 3: Revise all the Concepts and Formulae
The last 15 days of CMAT preparation should be spent in catching up with what was missed in the first phase. Go back to the topics, one by one. Revise them and assess which of them are still your pain points. Rework on them. Go through all the formulae and theorems of Quant and Logical Reasoning. Revise GK and English grammar.
How to prepare for CMAT 2021 in One Month
Start with the toughest subject. Since the time is less, focus on the subject you find toughest. Check the CMAT syllabus and make a list of topics starting from the toughest to easiest. Divide time accordingly and start the preparation.
CMAT exam pattern is almost similar to other MBA exams, i.e. MCQs on Quant, Reasoning, English, and GK so the books and study material will be the same. Since the time is less, the candidates must start practicing CMAT mock tests and previous year’s question papers simultaneously while covering the syllabus.
Given below are some of the useful tips for last month’s preparation for the CMAT exam.
Mock Test: Practicing previous years’ CMAT question papers and mock tests will help you strengthen your grip on topics and discover short cuts of solving calculation heavy equations. In the last month of CMAT 2021 preparation, practice one CMAT mock test on alternate days. Make it a point to analyze the result of each mock test and work upon the gaps.
Revision: Start chapter-wise revision 14 days before the exam. No amount of exam preparation will be useful if you appear for the exam without ample revision. Take out an hour to go through all the concepts and formulae in the last 14 days. This is also the time to revise GK. If you have been following the news, the current affair will not be an issue. For static GK topics, the best approach is regular revision. Make short notes – write them down in a notebook. Go through the notes a day before the exam.
Focus on exam day strategy: Make sure you understand the CMAT exam pattern properly i.e. know the section-wise break-up, topic-wise weightage, and difficulty level. The choice of questions plays an important role in overall scoring. CMAT has negative marking and it is better to skip the question instead of answering it incorrectly. Develop the skill of identifying the questions you can solve with 100 percent accuracy.
Time Management: Another aspect of CMAT preparation, you need to focus on is learning time management. CMAT will have 100 questions and the duration of the exam is 180 minutes, which means you will get 1.8 minutes for each question, including reading exam related instructions, RC passages, mathematical calculations, etc. So, develop pace and accuracy in solving sample questions in the last one month.
CMAT 2021: Last-minute tips
Given below are some of the last-minute tips
- Revise from notes: Do not overload your brain at this time with heavy things. The time to stress has gone. Do not learn new things or try new questions at this time. Revise facts, dates, formulae, or tricks from your notes. Assimilate all you have studied in the last few months.
- Accuracy and time management: You have to keep reminding yourself about the running time while focusing on answering correctly in the CMAT exam. Maintain a fair ratio of correct answers to be sure of a good score in CMAT. A judicious approach to the exam and a perfect exam strategy can help accomplish the goal. Keep an eye on the timer.
- Learn from your mistakes: For those who are appearing for the first time in CMAT, take a look at your mock tests and sample papers. Make sure you do not repeat the mistakes done in those tests. Aspirants appearing for the second time, recollect all the mistakes you made earlier, and make sure you do not make similar errors this time. This is the chance for you to improve your score to take admission to a better B-School.
- Set a defined strategy: Do not muddle up during the exam. You must have a clear vision of how to attempt the exam. Finalize an exam strategy. Attempt your exam with a perfect exam strategy that could make the best use of time. Also, save some time for revision after the exam.
- Do not mug up for GK: Mugging up facts, dates and names for General knowledge section is of no use. You won’t be able to retain the information for long. It’s better to revise whatever you have read and apply your logical approach to answer the questions.
- Have a fair idea of number of attempts for each section: It is important for you to have a fair idea of number of minimum questions to be attempted in each section. You have to devote a specific amount of time to each section to score well in the exam.
- Sort everything well in advance: Surely, you must not want any blunder on your CMAT exam day. Nothing can be worst than reaching your CMAT exam centre late because you couldn’t find the exam centre or you couldn’t find a vehicle to reach the centre. These things are to be arranged well in advance before the exam day. Remember to get a print out of your CMAT admit card today itself. Do not run around on exam day to get it printed.
Previous Years' CMAT Exam Analysis
CMAT Exam Analysis 2020
The overall difficulty level of CMAT exam 2020 was moderate and according. Among the four sections, Logical Reasoning was the easiest. Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation sections were moderately difficult. The maximum questions were on Arithmetic. Language Comprehension section was also moderately difficult however, many students felt the General awareness section was tricky.
CMAT Exam Analysis 2019
The first slot of the CMAT 2019 exam was moderately difficult. The Data Interpretation section was tricky and the verbal section was a bit tough. The second slot of the exam was also of moderately difficult with tricky logical reasoning and tough verbal questions.
CMAT Exam Analysis 2018
In CMAT 2018, the quantitative techniques and data interpretation section were moderate to difficult. The logical reasoning section mostly had easy to moderate questions and a few tricky questions. The language comprehension section was easy to moderate with more vocabulary related questions. The general awareness section was predictable, having questions from current affairs, static GK, and other conventional topics.
How To Prepare For CMAT 2021: Solve CMAT Question Papers & Mock Test
CMAT question papers and sample papers form a crucial part of the exam preparation plan. One can say, the preparation is not complete without practicing previous years CMAT questions. The candidates must solve previous years CMAT question papers at least 3-4 times. They should also practice from CMAT sample papers and on mock test series to improve speed and accuracy in solving the questions.
Listed below are some benefits of practicing previous years’ CMAT question papers and sample papers:
- Solving previous year CMAT question papers will give you an idea of the types of questions asked in the past and the weightage of each topic.
- Solving sample paper and mock test series will help you identify gaps in your exam preparation to work upon. You will be able to identify, which topics are your strength and which ones are your weakness.
- Solving mock tests will improve your speed and accuracy. You will also explore tricks and shortcuts of solving questions in a shorter period of time.
- A number of mock tests will expose you to a variety of questions – tough, easy, lengthy, tricky – so that you are well prepared for surprise questions in the actual exam.
- Practicing online mock tests will prepare you for the actual CMAT exam. You will already have the experience of the online exam so there will be no first-time jitters in the actual exam.
How To Prepare For CMAT 2021: Exam Day Guidelines
For a smooth and successful CMAT 2021, keep the following points in mind:
- Revise the main formulae and theorem in the morning. Do not practice any questions.
- Reach the exam center before reporting time and carry two print outs of your CMAT admit card along with the original copy of your ID.
- Do not carry electronic or food items. Do not wear caps, scarfs, etc. Do not wear metal accessories or clothes having metal items.
- Read instructions thoroughly before starting to solve the questions.
- Start with the section you find easy and are confident of solving fast. If you can’t solve a question within less than a minute, move on to the next question. Come back later to solve the question.
- Choose only those questions to answer which you can solve with 100% accuracy. Don’t risk negative marking.
- Keep aside 10 minutes to revise your answers in the end. Get done with the GK section within 40 mins and devote the rest of the time on the rest of the three sections.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. What are the important topics of CMAT syllabus?
Ans. Important topics CMAT are Algebra, Time-Speed-Distance, Allegation & Mixtures, Geometry, Graph, Analytical Reasoning, Linear Arrangements, Number Series, Matrix Arrangements, Blood Relationship Tests. Reading Comprehension, Grammar, English Usage Errors, Parajumbles, etc.
Ques. How many question will be asked from GK in CMAT?
Ans. There will be 25 questions from GK in CMAT. All the questions will be in MCQ format.
Ques. What is the weightage of each section in CMAT exam?
Ans. Each section of CMAT has 25 questions and each question carries 4 marks. Therefore, total marks of each section is 100 and total marks of the CMAT exam is 400.
Ques. Is there any negative marking in CMAT?
Ans.Yes, there is negative marking in CMAT. For each wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
Ques. Where can I get complete syllabus of CMAT in PDF format?
Ans.CMAT syllabus in PDF format can be downloaded from Shiksha.
Ques. In how many days can I cover CMAT syllabus completely?
Ans. The candidate must keep a minimum three months aside for completing the CMAT syllabus. However, if they have appeared for CAT and IIFT then they can complete CMAT syllabus in one month.