CAT 2018 NEWS
NATIONAL LEVEL ONLINE TEST
D.Naresh is the oldie of CAT Exam but his tips are refreshing.He shares his story of getting into IIM Lucknow and suggests to stick with the basics while preparing for CAT 2015.Exam is going to be held in a New Avatar so it is important to brush up the basics.His tip for the last two months of the exam is Get your basic concepts clear and attend mock test till the date of exam."
Please review the coaching institutes and what role do they play in your story?
I express my gratitude to coaching institutes like ‘TIME’.Such institutes help to put in efforts and they also work hard along with the aspirants,which makes the exam appear easier and target achievable.
How did you manage CAT preparation schedule along with graduation studies/working hours?
I allotted my nights for preparation; I started at 10 PM and studied till 2 AM.I had to be regular and focused for cracking the exam and my dedication paid off.
Name of the Institute where you took admission?
I took admission at IIM Lucknow.
Do You Want to Review Your College?
Yes,I would like to provide informative review.
What is Your Five Point Rule to Excel CAT 2015?
What Mock Paper did you undergo?
I undertook TIME test series and Career Launcher Test Series.
Name the Coaching Institute (Online or Classroom)
TIME and IMS, Begumpet.
What were your strong and weak areas? How did you prepare and what special efforts did you put for improving your weak areas?
I was weak with my English vocabulary skills;I used to encounter problems while reading.I overcame by reading newspapers like The Hindu and The Business Line to brush up my vocabulary knowledge,I used to take notes of the words I didn’t understand,and found out their meanings.I repeated this exercise and revised the words.
I was pretty good in all other sections,I sincerely followed the material provided by TIME and practiced questions from different books,which provided me variety.
What are the websites you followed regularly to Practice Free Sample Papers or to Get Updates
Two most useful sites for me were; www.xaam.in and www.xtutors.com
Quantitative Aptitude: Discuss Your Strategy for the Section
For Quantitative Aptitude I followed TIME material and two other books.
In the beginning, I practiced ‘QUICKER MATHEMATICS’ by TYRA to brush up with the basic concepts. Subsequently, I followed 2 more books:
The books mentioned above are very good for preparation; with RS Agarwal,you will get many exercises to practice and Guha's book gives more versatility in questions.
My strategy was to devote the early hours of my day from 4 am to 9 AM completely to QA section.
The process followed by me:Brush up period-Following Classes-Practicing from easy to hard questions helped me to gain good score.
List the Name of Books You Followed for Quant.
1. ARUN SHARMA:How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT Common Admission Test.This book is simple and easy to understand,it is recommended for those who are starting CAT preparation.
2. QA by R S AGARWAL: This is one of the best books from which you can do extensive practice as this book contains plethora of exercises for each section.
3. For tougher QA questions you can follow ABHIJIT GUHA’S book titled Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations.
4. The Pearson guide is also very useful book for aspirants.
Data Interpretation: Discuss Your Strategy for the Section also list the Name of Books You Followed for DI
1. The Pearson Guide to Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning by NISHIT K. SINHA;this is an important book solely covers 80% of DI.
2.TMH's How To Prepare For The Data Interpretation And Logical Reasoning For The CAT 3rd Edition by ARUN SHARMA,this is also a good book which covers more basic,simple,easy questions.
3. There is a small book by RS AGARWAL on DI; this is also helpful in providing last moment information before exams.
Logical Reasoning:Discuss Your Strategy for the Section
For logical reasoning, which is a nightmare for most of the CAT aspirants, it was not so tough for me. For this section I concentrated on analyzing and understanding each problem more sensitively,dedicating more time for this section than to all the other.I dedicated my time from 2PM to 8 PM to practice logical reasoning,which is covered under two sections:Verbal and Non-verbal.
I followed my institute notes and a book titled ‘VERBAL AND NON-VERBAL REASONING’ BY RS AGARWAL.
Everyone needs to devote considerable time to this section.
Verbal Ability:Discuss Your Strategy for the Section
I divided Verbal ability into two parts to ease my studying:Vocabulary and Grammar,Reading Comprehensions.I followed TIME material and English proficiency by IMS India,Norman Lewis grammar book, Communicative grammar by Geoffrey leech and ICSE Class X English book.
I had many problems in understanding new vocabulary in my early days, but by reading newspaper regularly,I overcame by underlining and noting the meanings of the words which I didn’t t know.I dedicated all my evenings till late night 11 PM for this section.
List the Name of Books You Followed for Verbal Ability
1. How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT Common Admission by ARUN SHARMA, this is a book for beginners and covers good comprehensions.
2. The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT by NISHIT K.SINHA, this is one of the important book for this section covers, it good portion and makes the preparation easy.
3. Verbal and Non Verbal reasoning by RS AGARWAL, this book is useful for more practice.
List the Name of Books You Followed for Vocabulary and Grammar
1. English Proficiency by IMS India,it is compact and is very useful for your preparation.
2. Word Power Made Easy by NORMAN LEWIS,this book is found with majority of aspirants, it is a basic book.
3. Wren and Martin English Grammar,this is an important book to get proficiency in grammar.
4. Student's Companion by Wilfred D. Best,it is not a very important book, go through it if you have sufficient time.
5. A Communicative Grammar of English by Geoffrey Leech,it is good book to practice exercises.
6. English PLUS I.C.S.E. for Class 10 by Xavier Pinto,a compact book,yet very useful.
|CAT||CAT REGISTRATION||CAT SYLLABUS||CAT PREPARATION||CAT SAMPLE PAPERS|
The Newspapers I followed:
The Business Line
TV channels I watched:
What should be the strategy for someone who is starting just two months before the exam?
Get your basic concepts clear and attend mock test till the date of exam.
What will be your last prescription for students preparing for CAT 2015?
Stay calm and composed, it is important to remain relax in order to excel.
How was the interview? Share some of the questions
The interview was nice and lasted for about half an hour,most of the questions were on reasoning.It is essential to stay confident.
CAT 2018 Answer Key, Objection Form, Paper Analysi ...
IIM Calcutta has extended the registration date of ...
Read the article to solve passage-based questions ...